What do you wear to Chef's Table?

jilllofalltrades

I wore a nice dress (not a sundress or a formal, just a nice dress) and closed-toed kitten heels. Dh work black docker type slacks and a nice shirt. We did not feel over, or under, dressed. If you feel more comfortable in nice slacks and a blouse, I think that would work. I seem to remember that you need to wear closed-toed shoes though.

We wore what we would normally wear on any non-formal night. Basically smart casual. They do say something about having closed toed shoes in the instructions. DW brought along a pair of those specifically for the Chef's Table. Only people we ever saw really dressed up was a couple celebrating the renewal of their vows and they cam in a tux and wedding gown. It was the wife's goal to fit into her wedding dress again on her anniversary.

I wore a nice dress (not a sundress or a formal, just a nice dress) and closed-toed kitten heels. Dh work black docker type slacks and a nice shirt. We did not feel over, or under, dressed. If you feel more comfortable in nice slacks and a blouse, I think that would work. I seem to remember that you need to wear closed-toed shoes though.

Mr.QT and I wore what Barbie and Mr.Barbie wore......You must wear closed toe shoes and I would suggest wearing someone that gives your waist room to grow......you eat so much! YUM

Be sure to wear close-toed shoes. One of the ladies who was invited to Chef's Table on the Island Princess last year showed up in strappy sandals :rolleyes: The rest of us had to wait for her to return to her stateroom to retrieve shoes that were appropriate in the ship's kitchen. The passenger was not a happy camper because her athletic shoes didn't go with her outfit, but Maitre d' Jose Florencio was serious about everyone's safety.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Be sure to wear close-toed shoes. One of the ladies who was invited to Chef's Table on the Island Princess last year showed up in strappy sandals :rolleyes: The rest of us had to wait for her to return to her stateroom to retrieve shoes that were appropriate in the ship's kitchen. The passenger was not a happy camper because her athletic shoes didn't go with her outfit, but Maitre d' Jose Florencio was serious about everyone's safety.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Good For Him! On our Chef's table we all wore closed toed shoes except one woman in strappy sandals. They did not send her back. It sure was irritating to my friend who, in complying had to wear her grubby sneakers!

We were on the Ruby 10 day in 2010 - we signed up through our CC roll call (first person on called and put all our names on the list)and we all were accepted! Dress was smart casual - and in the hopes that we would get to participate, the women packed closed toed shoes. I still regularly make recipes from the cookbook - YUM!

Dress nice casual, some wore skirts, so capris or nice pants, most men wore short sleeved button down shirts and chinos. I went to the Chef's table twice. I never travel while going to warm weather ports with closed toe shoes. I did wear sandles but not flip flop type. I was not asked to go back and change shoes.

Smart casual. I wear a nice long sleeve shirt (no tie, but with French Cuffs, and cufflinks) and my DW wears a nice dress (not fancy, just nice) and closed toe shoes – You get a photo of the group, sometimes of the couples too, and the table is beautiful. Bottom line – wear something you would wear if going out to a $100 per person dinner at the Executive Chefs table.

Do they tell you ahead of time not to wear stappy sandals to the CT? That's all I ever pack for evenings! I would have to wear tennis shoes with a dress if I didn't know about this ahead of time. Thanks - if I ever do this, I'll know now to pack some pumps.

This requirement was in the memo that those who were invited to participate in the Chef's Table received prior to the event. We all knew about it and were peeved that the lady showed up wearing sandals :mad: She had the audacity to argue with the Maitre d' Jose about not having any close-toed footwear besides her "running shoes" that did not coordinate with her dress :rolleyes:

They will also hold your 'nice' shoes while in the prep (kitchen) area and let you change back afterwards. Easy.. if you want to go - just pack a pair of flats (my DW does) and change after you finish the "kitchen" tour. Easy, friendly and does not tak up much room for packing..... (less than the cook book you will receive).

It says closed toes and yet when I attended at least 3 of the ladies wore sandals. As a safety professional it made no sense to me to allow them to go into the kitchen wearing sandals so I asked why they were being allowed to go into the kitchens in sandals and was told that as they had signed the waiver if anything happened when they had been told to wear closed toes shoes then Princess would not be held liable. True to a certain point (if someone said at the meet and greet that they shouldn't be wearing them but they insisted) but just allowing them to go in would mean that Princess could be held liable as they didn't enforce their own requirements.

I like the idea that people weren't allowed in because they opted not to wear the shoes they were told to,

It says closed toes and yet when I attended at least 3 of the ladies wore sandals. As a safety professional it made no sense to me to allow them to go into the kitchen wearing sandals so I asked why they were being allowed to go into the kitchens in sandals and was told that as they had signed the waiver if anything happened when they had been told to wear closed toes shoes then Princess would not be held liable. True to a certain point (if someone said at the meet and greet that they shouldn't be wearing them but they insisted) but just allowing them to go in would mean that Princess could be held liable as they didn't enforce their own requirements.

I like the idea that people weren't allowed in because they opted not to wear the shoes they were told to,

Could be that these folks have seen uber-foodie, Guy Fieri, enter professional kitchens wearing flip-flops on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and figure that whatever Fieri wears Food Network is fine and dandy. jmo

Do they tell you ahead of time not to wear stappy sandals to the CT? That's all I ever pack for evenings! I would have to wear tennis shoes with a dress if I didn't know about this ahead of time. Thanks - if I ever do this, I'll know now to pack some pumps.

After reading threads on this subject I told DW to pack closed toe shoes. When we were called for the interview we were told that it was ok for the women to wear sandals. I guess if varies from ship to ship.

I have done the CT 3 times thus far, once the Golden and twice on the Sapphire, and for all 3 of them, we were told at the preliminary meeting with the Maitre 'D, that despite what we had previously been told, closed toe shoes were not required.

I do believe it varies from ship to ship whether the closed toe shoe "rule" is enforced.

I just pack a pair of closed toe flats, so I will be prepared if I am on a ship where it will be required.

They do tell you ahead of time. We got a letter and met the rest of the group the day before in a meeting with the chef. They went over the closed toed shoes as well as verifying food alergies etc.

They do tell you ahead of time. We got a letter and met the rest of the group the day before in a meeting with the chef. They went over the closed toed shoes as well as verifying food alergies etc.

That is what happened with us as well on the CB cruise Oct 29 2011.

We're going to try to attend the Chef's Table this year. Is the dress formal? It seems like too nice of a dinner to wear just slacks and blouse. I really don't want to pack for 3 formal affairs.

The Chef's table we attended WAS held on a formal night so everyone was dressed in formal attire.

Archived