MUTS should be night time only

shofer

The volume can be turned down, usually all you have to do is ask... I have only been on the Grand class ships so I know they have other pool area alternatives where you get away from MUTS if you don't like it.

I have no experience on the smaller ships but looking at the deck plans it looks like there are places to sit away from the MUTS screen but still be in the sun. It looks like there is room to please everyone's needs...

Mike

I agree with you! MUTS can be heard all over the outside decks. I guess it is symptomatic of today--non-stop noise and entertainment.

Hmmm. Sailed 3 times on Caribbean and once on Ruby and cannot agree... We couldn't hear a thing outside of the pool with MUTS.

I'm well aware that it is the main pool area, however there are other pool areas and tons of chairs availabe on the open decks, so again I don't see what the problem is.

On the Grand, MUTS could - at least during Puss In Boots, at least on my sailing - be heard as far forward as the Lotus Spa pool. That left only the covered pool - not terrible, but on a sunny Caribbean day, one might like to hang out in an outdoor pool - and the weensy splash pool on Aloha.

Agreed, if you make an effort to flee MUTS, you can always find somewhere outdoors where it's inaudible. But why flood most of the prime real estate on Lido deck with a soundtrack that only a very small number of pax are actually listening to?

And yes, one can make a request that MUTS volume be adjusted. Ironically enough (in the context of this discussion), a few of us were watching an evening showing of a doc on ocean life that was only semi-audible, and I was the one who sought out someone to turn up the sound.

Yes, yes, and thrice yes! I have mentioned this many times in my post cruise comments. It's Movies under the Stars, not the Sun!:mad::mad:

Me too. I figure if we don't complain about conditions that are unacceptable nothing will change. If plenty of people had not complained there would still be smoking everywhere on the ship.

I complain about too-loud volume in the production shows as well.

Not to give the wrong impression that it's only complaints from me, I also compliment when it's warranted - such as the more restrictive smoking policies, when a menu item is particularly good, etc etc.

I don’t see what the problem is….if you don’t like the area you can simply avoid it. As for the area being too loud……"loud" is subjective and my opinion is that the sound level is normal and typical of any movie theater.

I too love listening to the pool band play and see no difference between the "noise" of the band or something playing on the screen.

If "loud" is subjective, then being hard of hearing myself, I can't imagine how it sounds to others! If I want to be in the sun by the pool, none of the other pools on the Grand met that criteria.

I feel that our culture is leaning towards the idea that we need to be entertained 24/7 by something on a video screen. What ever happened to entertaining ourselves with a book or quiet conversation?

Sue

Hmmm. Sailed 3 times on Caribbean and once on Ruby and cannot agree... We couldn't hear a thing outside of the pool with MUTS.

We could hear the audio from MUTS on our balcony and also in the Sanctuary. You could only escape it by being inside the ship. Ironically, the evening movies were quite subdued.

I mentioned this on my Princess post cruise survey. But don't expect much to happen. It costs big bucks to install these screens and systems and I doubt very much Princess will do anything about it.

It was nice to see so many agree with me!

Sue

If "loud" is subjective, then being hard of hearing myself, I can't imagine how it sounds to others! If I want to be in the sun by the pool, none of the other pools on the Grand met that criteria.

I feel that our culture is leaning towards the idea that we need to be entertained 24/7 by something on a video screen. What ever happened to entertaining ourselves with a book or quiet conversation?

Sue

Sound level to me is perfectly fine....I really can't imagine why it sounds so loud to others. If three other pools can't satisfy your needs, I'm not quite sure what to tell you.

We could hear the audio from MUTS on our balcony and also in the Sanctuary. You could only escape it by being inside the ship. Ironically, the evening movies were quite subdued.

I mentioned this on my Princess post cruise survey. But don't expect much to happen. It costs big bucks to install these screens and systems and I doubt very much Princess will do anything about it.

Sue

Your above post indicates you are "hard of hearing" yet your next post indicates you can hear the sound ALL the way on your balcony and ALL the way into the Sanctuary?? Interesting.

I adore MUTS during the day and night. I prefer the boats that have MUTS. To counter the other anecdotal evidence posted earlier, the MUTS pool was constantly packed on my 2 cruises that had the feature (except the times it rained). Everyone seemed to enjoy the movies and concerts while swimming.

To counter the other anecdotal evidence posted earlier, the MUTS pool was constantly packed on my 2 cruises that had the feature (except the times it rained). Everyone seemed to enjoy the movies and concerts while swimming.

Wasn't on your cruise, so I can't challenge your observation. But I will say that there was no "control" group. So while it might appear that everyone was enjoying themselves, it is true that at the main pool area, they had no choice, and there is no way to know if they might have enjoyed themselves more had they been afforded some peace and quiet, at least every other day. Like people at NBA games. They might appear to be having a good time while deafening music plays throughout every break in the action. But that does not mean that these same people would not enjoy themselves if the music went away.

I think if they are going to do MUTS during the day, they need to allocate a section of chairs like at night and make sure people are watching and not sunning or kick them out. It is frustrating to go to a 10am movie and at 8:30am you cannot get a chair for the movie! Same for Afternoon.

Wasn't on your cruise, so I can't challenge your observation. But I will say that there was no "control" group. So while it might appear that everyone was enjoying themselves, it is true that at the main pool area, they had no choice, and there is no way to know if they might have enjoyed themselves more had they been afforded some peace and quiet, at least every other day. Like people at NBA games. They might appear to be having a good time while deafening music plays throughout every break in the action. But that does not mean that these same people would not enjoy themselves if the music went away.

Hence why I said it was anecdotal. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to disagree with you but there are lots of places on a princess ship that MUTS cannot be heard where people CAN get peace and quiet. I find a way to make my cruises enjoyable. Why can't others? There are options to make everyone happy... just gotta find them. At the end of the day we are all responsible for our own happiness and how much we enjoy our cruise.

To those who disagree with me, do so all you want but I'm working from my own experience so I'll believe my lying eyes.

Sue

Sue, going by your signature.. you were sailing on Grand, which has a different pool designated for MUTS.

Hence why I said it was anecdotal. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to disagree with you but there are lots of places on a princess ship that MUTS cannot be heard where people CAN get peace and quiet. I find a way to make my cruises enjoyable. Why can't others? There are options to make everyone happy... just gotta find them. At the end of the day we are all responsible for our own happiness and how much we enjoy our cruise.

To those who disagree with me, do so all you want but I'm working from my own experience so I'll believe my lying eyes.

Of course we find a way to enjoy our cruise despite MUTS - you are hardly alone!

I would support night time movies , no issue. It is the loud rock concerts etc. in daytime that are my issue. Despite other comments, we just got back from 20 days on Emerald, and , depending on wind direction, MUTS can be heard from The Sanctuary to the mini pool aft. Another issue for me is that the premium lounge cushions are provided only to the MUTS area. Would be nice to have that comfort elsewhere!!

Archived