Staggered Boarding??

Retired 07

Not to beat a dead horse, but...........

I made final payment on cruise today and only then do you get the message about staggered boarding. I have a guarantee, so heaven only knows when my time will be!!

Print out your boarding pass now. It will not have a deck on it. Then you can check in with the first group.

We did a California Coastal on 3/31, on 3/20 I got an email with notification of the staggered boarding times:

12:30 PM - Caribe Deck / Cabins C100 - C757

1:30 PM - Baja & Lido Deck /Cabins B100-B753, L200-L311

2:00 PM - Dolphin & Emerald Deck / Cabins D102 - D741 & E100 - E735

2:30 PM - Aloha & Plaza Deck / Cabins A104 - A751 & P200 - P337

We were on Caribe, so it worked out well for us. It was our first Princess cruise so we had no priority for boarding, but we were onboard within about 20 minutes after arriving at the port.

And when they tell you that it is not available? Or want to charge an extra fee? Or the shuttle bus won't be available later?

How about you go to the hotel lobby bar and have a drink and relax - you're on vacation.

I blame SF PORT AUTHORITY...they tell the lines what to do and when.why.

The Port of San Francisco has nothing to do with this policy - it's all Princess and that's why you see it in effect at other ports of embarkation.

My point..........if princess felt so proud and comfortable with the staggered boarding, why did it not have an alert when I booked and only told me after I paid????

Yes, we can check out late, yes, we can leave luggage with bell hop, yes to all the suggestions, BUT, why should we when we were not informed of this policy when we booked. WHY should we?

Like I stated before, I will arrive at the time they give me, but for my future cruises I may not be as loyal to princess as I have been in the past, this just rubs me the wrong way!!

There's a lot of things that Princess doesn't tell you on the "first click." If they posted everything, you'd be reading a lot of stuff. And why has this staggered boarding been put into process? Who complained about having to wait in line to get on the ship?

I've been thinking about calling and asking. I don't understand completely. You said she was totally silent. what else did she say? or did she hang up on you?

Sorry, I should have explained. He was silent for a long time. Then said, "that's the rules" That was the end of the converstation. I was so mad that I was afraid she would move me to a different cabin. LOL. Not really, but I was mad and was afraid of what I might say. Plus I was a work and didn't want to raise my voice like I really wanted to do.

Where in my travel summary will I find my staggered boarding time?

Select Itinerary in Cruise Personalizer. Select "view details" for your embarkation port and scroll down to "cruise check in" under "notifications". Voila!:)

We are on the Grand in August from Southampton, just noticed today that my itinerary shows see travel planner for staggered boarding times, I am sure that this wasn't the case a few weeks ago when I last looked.

We are on Emerald deck so will be later in the day for boarding if the same as above postings, which is a bit of a pain as we live 20 minutes form port and love getting to the ship earlier to make the most of holiday.

At the moment just under 100 days away I can't see a travel summary, can someone confirm when you can access this and how.

Anyone been on the Grand this summer from southampton and experienced the staggered boarding?

Thanks, Gillian

Whoever thought of that idea should be asked to seek employment at RCI. Another dumb procedure to aid the passenger services people and irritate the customer providing them their job.

Emagine having a 2:30 boarding time with a 4:00 departure. By the time you get to your cabin you will need to grab your life jacket and head to muster drill.

I look to see this process scrubbed.

One thing is for sure, Princess is wiling to try whatever they can to make the "issues" they see as "distractions to enjoyment" go away. But just like everything in life, there are unintended consequences to all decisions.

They will keep tweaking it until they get a medium result that solves the problem (as they see it) and satisfies the majority of us cruisers.

Hopefully sooner rather than later

Sorry, I should have explained. He was silent for a long time. Then said, "that's the rules" That was the end of the converstation. I was so mad that I was afraid she would move me to a different cabin. LOL. Not really, but I was mad and was afraid of what I might say. Plus I was a work and didn't want to raise my voice like I really wanted to do.

thanks for explaining it - that is what I figured. I'm sure you would have liked to say "may I speak to your suervisor" but as you said - who know what they may do - change your cabin location - like waiters spitting on your food when you send it back!

I really have had good luck when I have talked to Princess people but they may be getting so many calls about this issue, that they have been told to say that's the rules.

We are on the Grand in August from Southampton, just noticed today that my itinerary shows see travel planner for staggered boarding times, I am sure that this wasn't the case a few weeks ago when I last looked.

We are on Emerald deck so will be later in the day for boarding if the same as above postings, which is a bit of a pain as we live 20 minutes form port and love getting to the ship earlier to make the most of holiday.

At the moment just under 100 days away I can't see a travel summary, can someone confirm when you can access this and how.

Anyone been on the Grand this summer from southampton and experienced the staggered boarding?

Thanks, Gillian

I travel on 9th June from Southampton on The grand. My travel summary also says to see the travel planner for staggered boarding. This didnt show that last time that I checked my personaliser.

I have looked everywhere in the personaliser and can not find any details of what time I am expected to board.:confused:

Princess has decided in the interests of smooth embarkation that you will not actually get on the ship

they will just take your money and email you pictures from the ship

That also makes disembarkation much, much less stressful.

Sorry if this question has already been answered but do they check you boarding documents for a cabin number before they let you in the terminal OR do they let you wait inside until your cabin is called to board? :confused: I'm thinking they would be checking your boarding docs before you enter so as not to have a lot of congestion. It might actually be a good idea to book cabins that would be allowed to board first if this continues.

It might actually be a good idea to book cabins that would be allowed to board first if this continues.

Different people have posted different orders of boarding on various cruises, so it would still be a wild guess which deck is assigned an early boarding time.

Best would be for Princess to drop this boarding scheme as it has no positives and many negatives.

Select Itinerary in Cruise Personalizer. Select "view details" for your embarkation port and scroll down to "cruise check in" under "notifications". Voila!:)

Thanks, did that & details show info. re princess transfer, nothing else.

maybe the staggered boarding message just shows up but without a time to board we just ignore it.

It isn't under notifications either & I don't see a cruise check in there.

there is a message that says boarding begins at 1pm & ship sails at 5pm.

8 days until we find out.

Dont know alot about the stagered boarding- but wondering how it affects hotel shuttle service to the port? A couple of years ago there was a company that we booked through the hotel that left the Hilton Garden Inn FLL with a bus load to the port. You would think that would be a mess having a bus load show up and they all have differant boarding times

What about the cruises that depart from Southampton and the passengers that use Eavesway Coaches to reach the docks from different part of the UK. Each coach carries at least 50 people, each coach arriving at different intervals according to traffic levels on the journey. Not everybody on each coach will have the same boarding time - will those who are early be left outside the terminal (in the English inclement weather we call summer) to await their 'slot time'. You really could not make it up.

Is this Staggered Boarding now fleet wide or just for some Princess ships/ports of embarkation? :confused:

We've been sailing out of Port Everglades for the last 2 years & they haven't had to resort to staggered times yet. There's sufficient waiting room in all their terminals to accommodate everyone who arrives at any time.

Just a piece of information. My wife and I boarded the Coral Princess in Fort Lauderdale on April 24, and there was no staggered boarding. We were on the ship at 11:35AM. Very grateful for that!

Archived