Purchasing watches on a Cruise Ship

meapya

• 1 year later...

My wife and I just completed an RCCL cruise - had a great time - bought 6 Invicta watches....

Thought I was getting a great price as the SALE was "50-75%" retail price...

Got home and have found all watches, but the cruise limited editions at MUCH CHEAPER prices!!

Invicta's are evidently NOT EVER sold anywhere near retail.... Caution:

• 6 months later...
My wife and I just completed an RCCL cruise - had a great time - bought 6 Invicta watches....

Thought I was getting a great price as the SALE was "50-75%" retail price...

Got home and have found all watches, but the cruise limited editions at MUCH CHEAPER prices!!

Invicta's are evidently NOT EVER sold anywhere near retail.... Caution:

My mother bought an Invicta on a RCL cruise recently. She asked what I thought of it, and whether it was worth what she paid (in the 'SALE'). I probably should have lied, but it's certainly not a great watch, nor worth what she paid, and I think they take advantage of older passengers.

As well as the Invicta, she bought a $10 watch for my father. Needless to say, I can buy the same watch in Chinatown for $3. It really is a joke. More like a child's toy, but to an elderly traveller with poor eyeseight...

This is an old post I believe the discount is now 35% which is the sane throughout the Caribbean.

This is true. Saw it on the Anthem's watches last week. Plus, Ship's stores advertise they meet any advertised price (on any watch). I was looking at a Citizen and found one I liked that was the same as one advertised at a land based store. I think the delta was like $75 less at the land based store.

I inquired about the price matching. The sales clerk on the Anthem turned me over to a "manager", who said they wouldn't match internet prices. After showing him that they had the price on the WEB site for their land based store (happened to be in NY), he still refused to match the price. I said "OK" and started to walk away without buying the watch.

He followed me with some sort of other explanations that he wasn't sure the jewelry store I showed him was authorized. I had been in the store and knew it was authorized. I then asked him who they would price match (given there's no competition on the ship, and he could use the same excuse for any of the stores that are land based).

Bottom line, they don't price match, as they advertise that they do. I won't buy from ship's stores again, ever, because of their false advertising.

I bought a decent Tag Hauer watch ($1400) on the Serenade of the Seas. It had some complicated stop watch function that I couldn't ever figure out.

When I got home I became frustrated and contacted them. They wouldn't let me exchange it for a different watch since I was not onboard but they did let me return it for a full refund.

I don't think any shop in St. Thomas or St. Martin would do that.

I looked up a couple of ladies Citizen Eco drive watches that I liked on Amazon before we cruised. I printed out the images and showed them onboard. They had one of the watches I liked and he adjusted the band right there.

The ship price was about $8 more than Amazon, but given the fact that there was no tax, and I was using onboard credit, it was a good deal.

I really like the watch! I hate having to purchase new batteries all the time. :D

I have purchased two watches on board a cruise ship. A Tag on Royal Caribbean and a Movado on Carnival. The Tag was purchased maybe 10 years ago and they promised they would refund the difference if we found it anywhere cheaper. Our cruise went to San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Needless to say, we found the exact same watch cheaper in every port, approximately $200 less. Long story short, Royal Caribbean did everything possible not to refund the difference and added a new requirement to prove the found price after each of the port stops. The jewelry store manager finally consented after the last port when we and our 8 dinner companions paid her a visit after dinner. We vowed then we would never make a high dollar purchase on the ship again. Fast forward to this past September and we made an impulse buy of a Movado watch on the last night of our cruise. I love the watch and have not regrets, but I will admit we probably would not have made the purchase had we not been drinking. I've priced the watch since we have gotten home and I can purchase the same watch for a little less, but that's not necessarily through an authorized dealer, so there may not be a warranty with the ones I've priced since getting home. So in my opinion, you absolutely safe purchasing a watch on board ship and should have no worries that you're not receiving an original, but you probably almost definitely can find a better deal in port.

• 3 months later...

Just got off the Jewel before it was dry docked. They had all the watches on sale anywhere from 35% to 75% off. I was looking for a waterproof watch that was sporty and casual. I saw this watch in the showcase at $695US. Couple of days later sitting on the table at 75% off. They hooked me. Paid $199US. Here is the watch on a Canadian site for $139 Canadian. Live and learn.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Stuhrling-Original-Mens-Swiss-Quartz-Sport-Aquadiver-Watch-with-Steel-Bracelet-Rubber-Strap-Set/11530374/product.html?refccid=DDHAEDUJOT4YZQKOWHNXGKEJNM&searchidx=33

I have a Bulova which I bought on the Rhapsody in 2011, and I had seen that exact model in a jewelry store near my home. It's the real McCoy.

My wife wanted me to buy a Tissot model that she had looked into buying for me for a birthday gift a year or two earlier.

The watches on RC ships are genuine, and I assume that they are bought through normal distribution channels. If RC was selling fake watches or sourced them through, shall we say "less-than-legal channels", I would think that law enforcement would be seizing them, when ships docked in U.S. ports.

Is St Martin a good place to buy watches? I like to pick up one on each cruise.

You can get good prices on St Martin. Even better, the selection to choose from is awesome. MANY MANY more watches and brands to look at than on any ship.

It's a mixed bag for sure.

On my first cruise on Carnival Legend in 2013, I purchased a Fossil watch that was $20 less than in my local department store.

Second cruise on Celebrity Constellation in 2014, I purchased a gorgeous Bulova for $100 that sold for $300 in my local department store.

Third and fourth cruises (Royal Caribbean FOS 2016 and Celebrity Sillhouette in 2016) I purchased Anne Kleins for approximately $10-$25 less than in my local department store.

My favorite watch is Invicta---I currently own 15 Invicta watches and bought them all online. Both RCI and Celebrity sold Invictas for much higher prices than World of Watches, EvineLive, Amazon and even the Invicta store at my local mall!

Do your homework before you sail...the bargains are out them on board ship. :rolleyes:

The last couple cruises I bought a watch as my souvenir of the trip. An earlier poster said there is something different about a watch bought on board the ship or in one of the ports. I am a research nut job, so I had a spreadsheet with me of what I was willing to pay for each model I was considering. Now I am not a high end watch wearer. I am too hard on them to invest lots of $$$. I do like different looks, so whatever I buy I nothing like what I have. "GUY JEWELERY" my wife says.

All that said....I made the last two purchases on board and when considering the duty free (think 6% sales tax in PA) aspect, the prices were about spot on. In Grand Cayman, I saw similar, not exact. Prices were competitive with the ship, but I liked what I saw onboard better. In January I bought a decent looking Invicta. Now I have an 8 3/4 wrist and big hands so their size isn't so big on me. They're not the best watches, but they keep good time and look nice. Next for me is a G-Shock or something thin and upscale looking.

in7007.jpg

Know what you are looking for, and do a little research before you go.....and you'll come home with a nice keepsake from your cruise.

Edited by zdad59

• 6 years later...

Was on the RCL Allure of the Seas and went to the Hublot shop on board and was able to haggle the price down 20%.  This plus the savings of not paying a sales tax and avoiding the import tax (see below ) yielded a $2700 savings on a $12,500 MSRP watch. A 28 1/2 % savings. Now  that’s worthwhile savings ! Have not yet seen a better deal anywhere, including on-line.  Ships don’t carry all brands but if they have one that you are in the market for and you know what you could get it for off the ship then do it.  I wasn’t able to get a Citizen onboard for the price I got in St. Martin (a $695 MSRP watch, 25% onboard vs 30% off on shore)so it’s all about smart shopping. Pay by credit card and not by shipboard account if it’s a high priced item that will be flagged by customs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, johooyo said:

Pay by credit card and not by shipboard account if it’s a high priced item that will be flagged by customs.

Welcome to CC and coming out of lurk mode.

Biker, who wonders if @ace2542 has feedback on this one.

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 2

On 11/21/2013 at 8:51 PM, bigeagle12 said:

If you want an Eco Drive you should buy it on the ship. They are 40% off and come with U.S. warranty.

I have an eco Drive watch I purchased on Liberty but some little stones fell out of the bezel and nobody not even Citizen would replace them, so my mantra...no more watches.  But there must be something to it as we have big name watch fans friends who do buy Tags and others onboard.

Edited by BecciBoo

Buying on the ship versus land store or even internet is a hit-and-miss for pricing. One Tag I bought on the ship was a really good price and, as a bonus, the model was sold out in stores so I would not have been able to purchase it anywhere else. I was actually surprised they had it in the ship. The experience of buying it on the ship and some accessories that should have been included, was another story. But, in the end, it worked out.

For Hublot and Breitling, onboard prices are not the best and you can get better deals online from reputable stores. Citizen and Invicta prices are comparable to other places. For Rolex,  prices are all over the map and very difficult to compare. Tag prices are very good on the ship but some online stores can beat those prices and still offer tax free.

Bottom line is, know what you are buying and how much you can get it for from various stores. If you need it now then get it when you are there - instant gratification. And always haggle price toward the end of the cruise - they can do better 🙂

Never bought a watch on a ship and don't think I ever would.  In general I only buy from Authorized Dealers.  I don't think royal is an AD for most of the brands on the ship. Plus, the selection is very limited on the ships.  

The risk of buying from a non-AD is usually the warranty is void

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vettesale said:

Buying on the ship versus land store or even internet is a hit-and-miss for pricing. One Tag I bought on the ship was a really good price and, as a bonus, the model was sold out in stores so I would not have been able to purchase it anywhere else. I was actually surprised they had it in the ship. The experience of buying it on the ship and some accessories that should have been included, was another story. But, in the end, it worked out.

For Hublot and Breitling, onboard prices are not the best and you can get better deals online from reputable stores. Citizen and Invicta prices are comparable to other places. For Rolex,  prices are all over the map and very difficult to compare. Tag prices are very good on the ship but some online stores can beat those prices and still offer tax free.

Bottom line is, know what you are buying and how much you can get it for from various stores. If you need it now then get it when you are there - instant gratification. And always haggle price toward the end of the cruise - they can do better 🙂

I believe Royal only sells used Rolex watches as they aren’t an authorized Rolex dealer.  So maybe you are referring to prices being all better the board due to them all being used and having significant pricing differences based on age, etc.   But Rolex is consistent in new watch pricing.  Caribbean list price is going to be the same in every island.   You may be able to haggle some money off on a second non Rolex purchase however.  And enjoy several complimentary beers during your purchase experience.  Not that I know that from experience.  😂😂👍