Perhaps I'm just paranoid

Orator

In the last few days I've spotted some suspicious threads on this board. One member of one of my roll calls said that she opened a post and got a virus. Fortunately it was stopped by her virus protection. Said that she reported it to Cruise Critic. Tonight I spotted another suspicious thread and I reported it without opening it. It was removed. In all cases the threads were started by a first time poster and the subject had nothing to do with cruising. Be alert.

In the last few days I've spotted some suspicious threads on this board. One member of one of my roll calls said that she opened a post and got a virus. Fortunately it was stopped by her virus protection. Said that she reported it to Cruise Critic. Tonight I spotted another suspicious thread and I reported it without opening it. It was removed. In all cases the threads were started by a first time poster and the subject had nothing to do with cruising. Be alert.

Thank you for posting your concern......I'll be more careful before I open anything.

What should I be looking for?

A hyperlink. Don't click on any link that you don't know the origins of. Also, ignore what the Link says it is...you can hover your cursor above the link and see what the actual URL is. See if the poster is a new member here with just 1-5 posts.

What should I be looking for?

I would like to see someone who knows more about this subject than I comment. About a day or two ago there were three posts by a new poster inviting one to look at pictures on a magazine cover that had nothing to do with cruising. One of these was opened and allegedly produced a virus. Tonight a first time poster posted a Thread about what UFC show he should watch. Sounded very suspicious to me. I would be careful if I saw a new poster start a thread that had nothing to do with Celebrity or cruising. We all started as first time posters so I hope new members don't take offense.

A hyperlink. Don't click on any link that you don't know the origins of. Also, ignore what the Link says it is...you can hover your cursor above the link and see what the actual URL is. See if the poster is a new member here with just 1-5 posts.

Thanks. You certainly know more about this than I.

3 or 4 days ago every page I went to on CC I got a warning from the Avast anti virus. 2 or 3 other people on our roll call reported the same activity, all using Avast. It was only CC that I was having issues with. It's fine now.

Thanks for the tip, Host Andy -- it's good to know what's going on. Yesterday, my McAfee went berzerk when I tried to log onto the boards. It's still showing a "red" status, so you guys might want to contact them to let them know that you are taking care of the problem. Just another reason not to click on every link you see! :rolleyes:

My security software has certainly been picking up "suspicious activity". For the past three or four days I have received a warning whenever I go to the boards.

Sue

I was up early and reported those three suspicious threads. This is somethng that is common on these boards and most of the time it is just someone who is trying to advertise. I have seen this more on another board that I occasionally go on, don't see it often on Cruise Critic. Usually when you see it they will go to various cruise lines boards and try and get in as many posts as possible before being caught. I think Cruise Critic is so busy that most of the time it gets caught very quickly and is removed quickly.

My PC is being a right pain in the backside recently so I blamed it when Avast was blocking me getting to the forums. Sorry PC, you may be slowly dying but seems on this occasion it wasn't your fault. I got blocked for 2 days then it just righted itself, but I could access fine on another laptop also running Avast

My company started blocking Cruise Critic as a malicious source as of yesterday. It stinks for me even though I have a mobile phone because I type so much faster on my PC.

My McAfee Site Advisor started doing that but when I clicked on the icon in the tray, the web site showed that there was nothing wrong with the site. I run Avast and WOT (web of trust for Firefox) and both of them show the site as fine.

Does your company use McAfee?

My McAfee Site Advisor started doing that but when I clicked on the icon in the tray, the web site showed that there was nothing wrong with the site. I run Avast and WOT (web of trust for Firefox) and both of them show the site as fine.

Does your company use McAfee?

Hi Janet! My McAfee site adviser shows a big red red warning X when I open the cc boards, but when I click for an explanation, McAffee shows no problem with the site. Just being extra careful not to click on any links, until they get all of this sorted out. :eek:

I see you and Barry are booked on Millie next spring. We're doing the Pacific Coastal (wine cruise) on her, this September. I'll be sure to post a review afterward. It will be interesting to see her newly Solsticized features. I'm just glad that they didn't remove the T-pool -- like they did with Century's '06 remodel. Wouldn't an indoor T-pool have been divine on those cold days, crossing the Pacific?! :p

We switched to Apple products because of the virus, Trojan horses and etc on windows. One of the window problems that destroyed my computer was a warning banner that claimed that my computer was in danger and I needed to link in to it to correct the problem and when I did that became and made the problem. Ironic was my wife was using her Apple laptop and she got the same message and she hit it and it cause her problems but she was able to correct it.

lesson is never is never link into a unknown source or unsolicited email.

We switched to Apple products because of the virus, Trojan horses and etc on windows. One of the window problems that destroyed my computer was a warning banner that claimed that my computer was in danger and I needed to link in to it to correct the problem and when I did that became and made the problem. Ironic was my wife was using her Apple laptop and she got the same message and she hit it and it cause her problems but she was able to correct it.

lesson is never is never link into a unknown source or unsolicited email.

Just an FYI that there are a couple of really nasty bugs going around for MAC OS as well. The best thing is never click on those flashing banners.

My PC is being a right pain in the backside recently so I blamed it when Avast was blocking me getting to the forums. Sorry PC, you may be slowly dying but seems on this occasion it wasn't your fault. I got blocked for 2 days then it just righted itself, but I could access fine on another laptop also running Avast

AdAware has been doing the same for me, since abut 2 days ago.

Archived