Prinsendam Over The Hill?

hensghan

I see that HAL is offering some fantastic prices on the October 31st Prinsendam Rome to Fort Lauderdale TA. Unfortunately, however, some recent reviewers have been not too kind in their recent critiques of Prinsendam -- which is relatively unusual, I think. Mostly, the complaints seem to be pretty much centered around age related problems, such as air conditioning, sewage smells, and general ship disrepair. Is Prinsendam really that much in need of a lengthy refurb? Is she finally showing her elderly age? Please be candid in recanting your recent Prinsendam experiences. DW and I are looking very seriously at this TA cruise, but we're a bit leery of what we've been reading lately re Prinsendam. We've not sailed on her yet and wonder if we've waited too late.

Were these reviews written by posters who have a track record of posts that have prompted you to respect their opinion?

If so, then perhaps you should give credence to what they said. But, if not, then why pay any more attention to those reviews than you pay to the posts that are positive?

I haven't been on the Prinsendam for just over a year, but I don't believe she could have gone very downhill in that time. I love the ship, including all her little quirks, and would happily sail her again.

I've seen some negative reviews too - gave me great trepidation to sail on her last year.

When I came back I posted a review on cruise critic for the very first time. At the same time I saw another person post a very negative review because we couldn't go to Cinque Terre (mud slides before we left) or go to St. Tropez (huge storm that destroyed the dock - we overnighted in Barcelona instead).

All of a sudden the ship wasn't up to his expectations but it seemed to be because we didn't get to certain ports:eek:

I sailed this ship last November gladly - really worried - yes, she's old - but she's elegant. We had no sewer problems - no AC problems (and I was prepared).

There are sales because the economy is down - makes me wish I had booked this fall instead of next year. If you can get her on a deal, don't hesitate - go for it.

We absolutely loved this ship. DH doesn't normally care what ship we sail on - I can honestly tell you that when we looked at next year's itineraries the first thing he said is - check out the Prinsendam. Never sold an itinerary to DH so fast.

The gym is small ( so is the ship). The spa is small (so is the ship). If you want to sail on a ship (not a floating hotel) - this is your chance.

I won't argue with anyone who says there have been issues - all ships have them - but this ship is extremely well maintained - even the captain peruses the cleaning jobs:D

The crew is outstanding - the ship is elegant and genteel - life is good on board the Prinsendam - otherwise I wouldn't have 31 days booked on her next year:)

My wife and I have sailed on the Prinsendam four times, the most recent was in June. Believe me it is still the most elegant ship in the fleet. Although HAL is said to have the best service of any of the cruise lines, the Prinsendam is a fine example of that. I hope that have have plenty more opportunities to sail her again.

We've spent 65 days on the Prinsendam over the past four years and we never worry about what she'll be like when we board her. All we worry about is whether the word about her will get out to so many others that they'll bid up the cabin price beyond our means.

So please, when you get back, don't feel that you have to tell everyone how wonderful she is. We do want her to be popular so that she stays in service as long as we need her, but not so popular that we can't go on enjoying her for the rest of our limited life expectancies.

So please, when you get back, don't feel that you have to tell everyone how wonderful she is. We do want her to be popular so that she stays in service as long as we need her, but not so popular that we can't go on enjoying her for the rest of our limited life expectancies.

Hey! Maybe that's it! Could it be that the writer of the review OP referred to had an ulterior motive??? ;)

The verdict seems to be that she is a fine ship. Some people do like to post negative reviews on all our ships.

It's not just the ship - it's the crew. I was so impressed when we were on that I not only made mention of numerous crew members in my survey - I also wrote Seattle to tell them how marvelous the ship and crew were:):)

Also - worth noting that this ship has one of the highest passenger to crew ratios and passenger space ratio.:D (mass market of course)

I was on the Prinsendam a year ago. It just isn't credible to me that she was the most awesome mainstream ship at age 23, awesome when Jacqui was on her at 23 1/2, and over the hill at 24. Things just don't change that fast. Prinsendam is a very different ship and some people aren't happy with that, that can change in an instant (or even with 2 people on the same cruise) but changes in a fantastically built and maintained ship just not as fast.

As nice as the physical plant is, it really is the passengers and crew that make the Prinsendam special.

Roy

We disembarked from the Prinsendam just about a month ago. Although, there are a few worn spots (if you look hard enough), overall she is in great shape.

We had a cabin on the main deck and had no plumbing problems or smells. A/C seemed to work fine in the day, but it was just a tad warmer than we like for the night. Public areas were very cool.

Crew was fantastic and food in MDR was really good - esp. chocolate purse. Had a new captain, Tim Roberts who embarked with us. HM Mr.Van Walle was friendly and nice. Met lots of other passengers who were friendly and pleasant to be with. Heard no complaints.

Our waiter, Endang, bent over backwards to accomodate one of our tablemates who had numerous food allergies.

We had great ports of call and complimentary shuttles in out-of-the-way docking sites.

We thought the only negative was the lack of inside dining space in the Lido. But I have heard that some of the outside rear deck area (that is now covered by a canvas) is to become enclosed and made part of the Lido dining.

It does get a little crazy crowded at lunch and breakfast.!

We would sail on the Prinsendam again in a heartbeat!!!

The ship has been "over the hill" for quite a few years and HA has really been slow to fix ongoing problems (the usual excuse is that it's old and difficult to get parts). Not surprised they are offering some good deals in October since the ship is scheduled for a drydock in November (the outdoor lido dining area will be enclosed and they are doing some other major fixes) and most experienced cruisers avoid ships that are close to drydock time. We all have heard the jokes how some things are held together with rubber bands...but on the Prinsendam things are held together with nylon straps. When we were on her for 62 days this spring the roof that covers the outdoor Lido Terrace was held down by a series of temporary nylon straps (there was concern that the entire structure would blow away in a heavy wind). The day before we got back to Ft Lauderdale the crew removed the temporary straps because they had an upcoming inspection in Ft Lauderdale and holding a ship together with temporary straps is not going to get them high marks :).

Part of the fun of having cruised on her a lot in the past 2 years is seeing the changes. When we returrned this March we were pleased to see that the boarded-up window in the Crows Nest had finally been fixed with real glass (no more plywood). We also noticed that one of the port automatic door that led out to the Lido Terrace had finally been repaired (it had been out of order for a long time). We mentioned this to one of the senior officers and he laughed as he explained that a different door (near the pool deck) was now broken (and it remained broken for our 62 day cruise). My pet peeve about the ship is the roof of the bridge that is fully viewable from inside the Crows Nest. This room is full of patches, lumps, leaks, cracks, etc etc and HA does nothing but just add more patches. One of our friends onboard noted that it would be very easy for them to simply cover the roof with some astroturf to at least make it look like somebody really cared about the looks of the ship.

Hank

P.S. Just to be clear, we love the Prinsendam despite all of her issues

Thanks for all your varied responses. Coupling Prinsendam's recent negative reviews with the fact that Prinsendam apparently is in dilapidated enough shape to warrant a November refurb, I think we'll pass on the October Rome to Fort Lauderdale TA. Apparently, when a prices seems too good to be true, there is always a reason. We'll look at Prinsendam again after her refurb, but we'll probably not be able to afford her then. Catch 22 strikes again.

We were there with Kazu on last Fall's TA and would go back this year in a heart beat but this Fall we are QM2ing it for the crossing . Every ship goes to dry dock every 2-3 years for new soft goods, bottom clean/inspect/repaint as well as a change or two to the structure [ enclosing lido ] and upgrades to computers/instruments etc . Hal has an investment and they know it and treat it with love .

I do like the theory that people write negative stories to keep their favorite place to themseves ....unfair but maybe true :(

BTY, did the op who ranted about the EB TA the very day she sailed from Fort L. ever come back to that post ?

BTY, did the op who ranted about the EB TA the very day she sailed from Fort L. ever come back to that post ?

I assume you mean this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1633869

NEVER! A true "one post wonder". Perhaps another of these?

I do like the theory that people write negative stories to keep their favorite place to themselves ....unfair but maybe true :(

Roy

Thanks for all your varied responses. Coupling Prinsendam's recent negative reviews with the fact that Prinsendam apparently is in dilapidated enough shape to warrant a November refurb, I think we'll pass on the October Rome to Fort Lauderdale TA. Apparently, when a prices seems too good to be true, there is always a reason. We'll look at Prinsendam again after her refurb, but we'll probably not be able to afford her then. Catch 22 strikes again.

Prinsendam goes into drydock from time to time. The enclosure of the back of the Lido was planned since at least September, when I was told about it by Captain Tim Roberts. From what I have observed recently on even luxury cruise lines, the TA's are wonderful deals. You will be able to catch a good deal on a TA in 2013!!

That is Holland America keeps chipping away at the original design of the ship and adding more and more cabins, enclosing decks and changing the whole nature of the original design.

I can say this because I wa there when she was launched in San Fran with Jimmy Stewart doing the honors and named the Royal Viking Queen. Built for 700 and single seat dining. Loads of open space and classic line she was a delight to wander around. Now seeing the new deck plans I hake my head.

Each time I see her I am saddened as yet another deck gets closed in or turned into cabins. To read that yet another deck gets covered only adds to the sorrow, and while small by the Holland America standard she has surpassed her ability to deal with the almost 900 passenger she currently packs in.

Thats my only complaint...

Your loss....

The dry dock is not a sudden plan - not because it's an emergency refurb - but because the ship is due. It's been on the calendar over a year. This is nothing unusual - all ships have dry docks. That's how they keep them up:D

No worries - if you are concerned you shouldn't do it. If we had the time, I would be grabbing that sailing in a second even if she is about to go into dry dock.

Is the P-dam over the hill?

She isn't the latest idea of cruising. She isn't our cup of tea any longer as anything less than 2 times my longest home run shot is a dinghy, so if the boat is less than 860' it is a dinghy, but in no way is she down trodden from what I've gleaned from unbiased reviewd.

A lot of the negative reviews are just axe grinders who are unable to experience any emotions running their yaps.

A lot of the gushing reviews come across like automatons that are programmed to gush the brand, or the Red Guard.

The reviews that give the likes/dislikes are the ones I go with and from what I've read, if there was a cruise we "needed" to do and she was the dinghy, we'd not hesitate.

Derek

Archived