Bringing Sand Home

sjmbruce

A small amount of clean dry sand is permitted, as long as it doesn't include insects or vegetable matter.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

But no soil or earth of any kind is allowed.

Wish I knew this on our last cruise. My wife wanted to bring back some of the sand from Crane Beach in Barbados. We put it in a bag to get it back to the ship, and then scattered it inside our beach bag so that it would look like nothing more than residual sand if there was any question about it, and then had to try to get it out of the beach bag once we got home. We still ended up with 85-90% of the sand we started with, but not very convenient.

1st cruise this december, heading to the panama canal with princess! i know there are sometimes a lot of rules about what you can take off the ship and bring back.

are you able to bring sand from the beach back onto the ship?

the ports we'd be likely to bring back sand from are aruba, costa rica and jamaica.

thanks!

When I was in Curacao, I brought back sand as a souvenir from the sand floor of the synagogue. I had no problems getting it back on the ship. When I had my bags checked by USDA at the airport, they did not say a word. My friend got his souvenir and everyone was happy.

I use small pill vials to collect the sand. When I get home I have a number of miniature Cardhu

(single malt scotch) bottles that I put the sand in. They are unusual as they are pinched on all 4 sides.

Part of the enjoyment is emptying the bottles.

I put some sand into an empty water bottle once, thinking it'd be a neat thing to bring it home and put it into a small, pretty bottle labeled with the beach's name. I had no idea that anyone had a problem with this, so I walked back onto the ship with the bottle in my hand. Oh, the crew jumped all over that -- and took my bottle.

I think that if it'd been in a small ziplock in a pocket of my beach bag, no one'd ever have noticed.

I love the shot glass idea! Does anyone else have any unique ways to display the sand? We are going on our first cruise next year and I think this is a tradition/collection I'd like to start. Thanks!

Another way to do it would be a margarita glass, though you'd need more of it for this glass. I have a margarita glass display I made (though I bought sand from an art store for this) and have those little "desk kits"--you know like you can get from Barnes & Noble and other places. Mine has little pink flamingos in it, or you can get the "beach set" with the little lounger and umbrella.

we always bring back sand! I pack the small "snack" size zip lock bags and I write the name of the port on each baggie! Then I purchase a "shot glass" from each port and once we are home i put the sand in the shot glass and they are all on display on our fireplace mantle!!!

I like the shot glass idea!:o

• 1 year later...

I am trying to bring this current to figure out how it is all working?

I am trying to plan for my 50th b-day trip in Sept on Vision, and we are scheduled for Cozumel on my B-day which I have amazing plans, but am I trying to have a backup to make sure I can do some caribbean sand on my feet!

Here is my question I was thinking of trying to bring some sand from Roatan in case we can't stop in Cozumel. I would most likely use it in Cozumel if we make it. I guess I might just take a trip to NH to bring some sand! I so wanted to be in Hawaii, but just not to be, due to it is too far to travel with a sick dog that I can't take the time to go that far away!

Please input! Thanks!

Except that it's not that clear cut.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

The above-linked Customs document says "Pure sand, such as a small container of decorative beach sand, is usually allowed."

exactly..the ones you buy at the tourist shops that are sealed shut after having been sanitized and debugged.

randomly scooped sand is not legal to be brought back into the country

I am trying to bring this current to figure out how it is all working?

I am trying to plan for my 50th b-day trip in Sept on Vision, and we are scheduled for Cozumel on my B-day which I have amazing plans, but am I trying to have a backup to make sure I can do some caribbean sand on my feet!

Here is my question I was thinking of trying to bring some sand from Roatan in case we can't stop in Cozumel. I would most likely use it in Cozumel if we make it. I guess I might just take a trip to NH to bring some sand! I so wanted to be in Hawaii, but just not to be, due to it is too far to travel with a sick dog that I can't take the time to go that far away!

Please input! Thanks!

Do note that the previous posts are a bit dated, and it is now illegal to remove sand from any beach in Hawaii. Come and visit some day anyway!

1st cruise this december, heading to the panama canal with princess! i know there are sometimes a lot of rules about what you can take off the ship and bring back.

are you able to bring sand from the beach back onto the ship?

the ports we'd be likely to bring back sand from are aruba, costa rica and jamaica.

thanks!

I did't ask questions, just did it, dirt would be a different thing.

I did't ask questions, just did it, dirt would be a different thing.

US Customs requires that you declare ALL shells, pebbles and sand. And when it comes to bacteria and microbes, sand can be just as problematic as soil. Hopefully, most cruisers understand the significant concerns of agricultural states like California when it comes to protecting its flora and fauna; and they abide by the regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
Again' date=' it's a good idea to find out if it's even legal to import sand, etc., into the US. If not, find out if the local souvenir shops have sanitized sand that's packaged and labelled.[/quote']

REPEAT POST:

US Customs requires that you declare ALL shells, pebbles and sand. And when it comes to bacteria and microbes, sand can be just as problematic as soil. Hopefully, most cruisers understand the significant concerns of agricultural states like California when it comes to protecting its flora and fauna; and they abide by the regulations.

If you can't tell the difference between a little sand in a jar and a houseplant (into California, no less), I think I see your problem.

Obviously, you don't quite understand that it is as much the soil and sand in the potted plant, as is the foliage, which concerns the Department of Agriculture. You'd face the same scrutiny in states like Hawaii. It's what you can't see in that vial of sand you made that is the problem.

Here's our experience when in Bermuda:

Went to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

My sister brought a tiny plastic travel bottle and filled it with pink sand from the ocean floor.

Her MIL filled an empty soda bottle with it.

Upon boarding the ship we saw all the big soda bottles filled with sand confiscated and piled high on the floor behind the scanning machines.

MIL's bottle was taken. Sister's bottle was not.

I didn't take any from the beach, but did buy a little bottle of it in Makin Waves gift shop at the Dockyard.

Happy Sailing!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

We were just traveling in Canada (Ontario) yesterday and met a couple who told us about bringing some sand back to Canada. The Canadian Customs folks discovered the sand and thought it was really drugs! After some explaining all turned out fine...but there were a few uncomfortable minutes.

Hank

Obviously, you don't quite understand that it is as much the soil and sand in the potted plant, as is the foliage, which concerns the Department of Agriculture. You'd face the same scrutiny in states like Hawaii. It's what you can't see in that vial of sand you made that is the problem.

And we Californians know how much fun spraying for infestations are.:(