LIVE from the Star Princess; RT SFO to Hawaii - Oct. 6th to 21st

Pia1913

I love a Pia live from! Thanks for posting, and thanks for the info on the most traveled cut-offs. I never understood why people wanted that information if they weren't on that cruise, but now that we're making the cutoff as often as we don't, with the balance quickly tipping, it's kind of fun to know.

What is the entertainment in Explorers tonight?

Thanks for letting us all join you and Mike on your cruise! (Your cabin will get awfully crowded though :D) Was very relieved to hear about the non-hassle regarding wine aboard. We are shoving off from my favorite vino country next month and to bring aboard only 2 bottles may be a mortal sin. Have a fantastic voyage and cheers!!!

I think we were all waiting for this! It will be interesting to read your live from and Vickie's blog at the same time, for the same cruise...

How can we find Vickie's blog as well as staying with Pia?

I too am looking forward to learning about this cruise!

Hi Pia,

Sharon & Bruce here. Hope you have a great cruise. Please pass along a "Hello" to Vickie & Bernie for us. Also please have them give our regards to Douw.

Thanx,

Hi Bruce - got your facebook message too - Douw will be happy for the shout out (I posted some pics with him from Cabo) he is currently in Sonoma on a wine trip with other Head Waiters, will rejoin the ship in Honolulu Say hi to Sharon

I think we were all waiting for this! It will be interesting to read your live from and Vickie's blog at the same time, for the same cruise...

How can we find Vickie's blog as well as staying with Pia?

I too am looking forward to learning about this cruise!

My blog is in my signature below

So excited to finally meet Pia face to face yesterday - it was like meeting an old friend. And then the chance to chat at the meet and greet today

vickie

Welcome aboard the Star Princess as we begin our 15 day round trip to Hawaii from San Francisco.

Our nonstop flight on Thursday from FLL reached SFO on time. This was our first experience using Virgin America and we were very satisfied with their seats and interactive tv. If you wanted food or drink you just ordered it “on line”. Our friends Dee and John were waiting for us and we were whisked back to their lovely home to spend the night. Of course we stopped at Trader Joe’s to buy some liquid refreshment to take aboard. This morning’s journey into the port was uneventful and even with the expected crowds for Fleet Week we still had no major delays on the Embarcadero. Perhaps 30 minutes or so, but that’s it.

EMBARKATION DAY SATURDAY 10/6.

Checking in was a breeze. There were about 30 stations open and we were in our cabin before noon. To those who have been wondering about the new limit on wine, all I can say is; “what limit?” Nobody looked to see what we had and I had 5 bottles. Checked bag arrived before muster which was about 3:30. Of course the Blue Angels had their show during Muster. We missed most of it, but did manage to see four planes scooting in and out and around each other. Lots of sailboats to be seen which will delay departure until about 6:00 PM (per Coast Guard.)

Pertinent on board info:

Captain : Todd McBain

Hotel Manager: Emilio Mazzi

Cruise Director: Martyn Moss

Staff Capt: Rikard Lorentzen

Customer Service: Jasper Wolthuis

Maitre d’ Rui Pereira

CC Host: Peter John

FCC: Pippa

Since we were on board so early, we decided to have lunch in the dining room. Open today was Portofino on deck 6. Our luggage was delivered early and we had everything in place before muster. We then went to say hi to the CC host Peter who we know quite well and to get he important stats. No folks, we are not in the top 3. Not even in the top 5. We are #7. I don’t know the figures, was the top three each have over 1000 days. The most traveled luncheon will be on Wednesday, Oct. 10th and the cutoff is 349. I understand that last cruise it was 401. There are 219 Elite, 537 Platinum and 1040 Gold. Platinum and Elite will be having their own cocktail party, while Gold will have their in the theater and be given a drink voucher. Aren’t you guys happy I got all this important stuff out of the way so quickly?

On the “menu” tonight other than the Welcome Aboard Show is My Week with Marilyn in Vista and The Iron Lady on MUTS. Eric Stone is in Crooners and since we do know him will stop by to say hello. Explorer’s has Orphea Quartet and Wheelhouse has Maxman Duo. I’m not familiar with either of these two groups.

It's now wine time and since the internet is working I'll just go and start attacking those 5 bottles. We lose an hour of sleep tonight. See you in the morning.

Thanks, Pia, for your live posts! We just disembarked in SF. Would have been fun to stay aboard. We are still booked on another cruise out of LA in March that goes to Hawaii and Tahitti and back. We had a good cruise, but experienced some disorganization aboard ship. The dancing shows were surprisingly disappointing with the one execption being THE BRITISH INVASION. Recommend it. Also, Tom the comedian, is on board until you reach Hawaii. He is VERY funny. Have a great time.

But the comedian, Tom McTigue, was a dud. He is THE main show tonight and unless Mike makes me go, I will find something else to do. Like read a book.

Also, Tom the comedian, is on board until you reach Hawaii. He is VERY funny. Have a great time.

LOL!!!!

Pia - hope you have a wonderful time. Thanks for taking us all along again! When we did this cruise in February on the Sapphire, the seas going over were VERY rough. It took us an extra day to cross, and ended up missing Hilo. We were told 70 people flew home from Maui (our first stop) because they didn't want to face going through that again at the end of the trip. But the crossing home was so smooth the water looked like glass!

Just dropping by with some additional chatter. Our M & G this morning was quite successful with more than 60 showing up. Lots major officers came by, including the Captain. In attendance other than the captain were the Hotel Manager, Food and Beverage Director, Customer Service Director, Maitre d’ and Martyn, our CD. As for Martyn, this guy just did a complete about face. Today he was very upbeat and funny; totally bonded with the crowd. I think he needs more “up close and personal” meetings since there is a good personality lurking in there. As always, it was nice putting faces to screen names and Bill, yes, I gave the captain your regards. Also great meeting Vickie finally and Chris who put the M and G together.

I also want to mention the talked about mac and cheese. Yes it was one of the main menu selections last night and yes, I tried it. The mac and cheese w/o the shrimp would be better; not so good with the fishy taste. So of course it was on the lunch menu today in HC and guess who just had to have it. Wonderful! Loved it! And when I love something pertaining to food, that my friends is a good thing.

Future cruise sales is doing good business since people found out the FCC’s will only be good for 2 years instead of four. We still have four, but I suppose we should buy some more. Can’t imagine why, since we never keep them that long anyway.

Jackie, pretty funny post. It just shows you that tastes vary to the extreme.

Forgot who asked, but Explorer's has nothing tonight other than music and dancing with trivia and pop star interspersed.

See you tomorrow.

Future cruise sales is doing good business since people found out the FCC’s will only be good for 2 years instead of four. We still have four, but I suppose we should buy some more. Can’t imagine why, since we never keep them that long anyway.

When the new FCCs start being issued, can you please post what the conditions are? The "old" ones say the booking must sail within four years from date of FCC purchase.

Will the new ones say the booking must be made within two years or must sail within two years? The consultant should be able to tell you this even if you do not purchase one.

Thanks

Hi Pia, Mike, Shepp, Amy, Tina, Ken, & Caribill! Miss you all! Sometime we all have to cruise together again!

Amy - great that you dropped by. It's been a long time!

Pia - Glad you were able to come stay. We talked as fast as we could, didn't we? Glad to hear the mac and cheese has your approval. Now I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Have a great cruise. Have fun! We'll be reading your posts.

Cheers, Dee

Aloha Pia -- I would like to ask a big favor from you. When you arrive in the port of Hilo, would you please check in the terminal and see if floral arrangements and leis are available for purchase? We are booked for a trip later this year and I love to have fresh flowers in our mini. They certainly add to the ambience. This is also a good stop to "refresh" your libation supply. Your reports indicate that you are having a grand time. Enjoy!! I will soon be in your footsteps.

Good Monday morning from the wiggling Star Princess. Well, not so much now, but it sure did rock and roll a bit last night. Didn’t bother us, but some passengers seemed a bit uncomfortable. We did a whole lot of nothing (as anticipated), mostly watching two documentaries on TV. Our entry was not picked to win the coffee card, but the cabin only 4 down from us was the winner. It seems that there will be only one prize per day and today’s is a back massage. I can live without that.

There’s a whole lot of stuff going on this morning, starting with Big Miracle on MUTS, a 3 hour Holiday at Sea sale in the Capri, a lecture “How the Earth Maintains Temperature and “Why Glaciers Happen every 100,000 Years,” a fruit and veggie carving demo and another lecture, “Hawaiian Bird Life”

Afternoon offerings are: The Artist on MUTS, arts and crafts - origami, art auction, Duck Soup on MUTS and Texans vs. NY Jets on MUTS. I didn’t mention yesterday that the Elite, Plat and Suite Lounge in Skywalkers from 5:00 to 7:00, now have a special price for their drinks. The $2.99 special, which became $3.99 is now $5.00. We heard the prices had been raised but it seemed that not all ships were the same at the same time. Evidently the Star has definitely decided to offer it at $5.00.

It’s also formal night tonight and there will be a champagne waterfall with welcome aboard party in the 3 Piazzas. Entertainment is a juggler (Mark Henry) in Vista, “Stardust” production show in the theater and “John Carter” on MUTS. Explorer’s is doing Majority Rules followed by So You Wanna be a Rock Star?, while Eric Stone continues his piano entertainment in Crooners.

Clocks go back another hour tonight, so we will now be 5 hours behind EST. We haven’t done anything about trivia yet. Our time will come.

Comments/Answers:

1. Tracie: I’ve heard nothing about internet being changed. Will speak to Peter about it.

2. Trish: Vickie and I have very different styles. I could never do what she does and she knows how good I think she is.

3. Bill: I ordered 4 more yesterday but they will be for 4 years. When I see the new form I will let you all know.

4. Amy: Simon answered for me. I wish they were here, but they’re not. And now I see Dee answered for herself. Nice to see you again too. Would be better in person.

5. Silverbird: will try. We have friends picking us up in Hilo.

Over and out.

2. Trish: Vickie and I have very different styles. I could never do what she does and she knows how good I think she is.

Over and out.

aren't you sweet!

Yes we do have different styles and we seem to do different things so it is great having to perspectives. I have always loved following along on your live froms and so honoured to have met you.

Yeah I blog and have my fan page on facebook.... but my heart has been with CC for so long and cherish the friends I have made here and love coming back to share with others.

Pia wil see you on board, at minimum will see you tomorrow at the lunch.

Gold Party is tonight - they will draw one invite that will win "elite" benefits for the rest of the cruise.

Archived