LIVE from the Star Princess; RT SFO to Hawaii - Oct. 6th to 21st

Pia1913

Pia,

Hilo used to be the port where we all bought our leis.

The whole terminal was full of flower vendors with floral arrangements etc.

Wonder what happened. Was still there last January when we cruised.

Just booked California Coastal for May 4th. No sea days , only ports.

Pia, want to come?

Gloria:D

Just stopping by to say Aloha to everyone who sent greetings via Pia and Mike - we had a lovely day, enjoyed catching up and managed to get home in time to walk the dogs before their dinner, so they were happy. Happy travels through the rest of the islands, my dears! Will follow along with you, at least until we leave ourselves!

D & D

Checking in for a few minutes. Just returned from a wonderful day in Hilo with our friends who actually drove two hours to meet us. We started by going up to Volcanoes National Park to see the formations of lava rock flows and also to stop at the Jaggar Museum. We also managed to look into three different gift shops and I bought a poster in one of them. Poster inexpensive. Framing will most likely cost an arm and a leg. We also saw a movie and looked at many exhibits. This was our third visit to the park, but there’s always something new and interesting to see.

We went into town for lunch; a lovely restaurant Café Pesto. Donna, Dennis and Mike all had interesting lunch items. I had a burger. Yeh, I know, booooooooooorrrrring!!!! Of course we couldn’t go back to the ship without a mandatory stop at Walmart. Much easier when you have your own vehicle. What did we buy? Two more bottles of wine.

Almost time for all aboard and Mike has decided to take a nap. We’re going to see the ventriloquist at 7:00 and then perhaps a small dinner in HC afterwards.

Gloria, yes, I recall the mysterious flower arrangement. However when I asked they said the top five got them. Here we are way low at number seven. Maybe they are doing top ten. Whatever, they are beautiful.

To the person who had wanted to know about what is sold in the terminal, there is no terminal. Nothing at all being sold at this port.

See you tomorrow in Honolulu.

Thanks for doing your Live thread. Café Pesto was a nice choice. We visited the Kawaihae Harbor location several times when we stayed near there a couple of years ago.

Welcome to Honolulu, on the island of Oahu. Oahu is approximately 600 square miles and home to almost one million people. Hawaii became the 50th US state in 1959 and that year began a major tourist influx which still goes on today. It was love at first sight for us when we spent two weeks in the Hawaiian Islands back in 1989; flying from one to another to spend several days in each of the five - Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Hawaii (Kona and Hilo) and Molokai. Most people never get to Molokai and we were fortunate to have the opportunity to spend one overnight there.

Our plans for today are to just meander about. We will probably take the Hilo Hattie shuttle or the Maui Divers shuttle; both are free and run often. Maui Divers drops you 2 blocks from

Walmart, but we already did our Walmart event yesterday. My main quest for today is Starbucks.

Nothing really worth mentioning on board today, other than some trivia and a few board games. MUTS has several short documentaries and some Lionel Ritchie, Beyonce, Stevie Wonder, Janet Jackson and Paul McCartney interspersed throughout the day and night. Man on a Ledge is in the Princess theater in mid afternoon and the movie SAFE, will be shown in Vista tonight. In the theater tonight there will be the Halau Hula Olana Show, which will showcase modern Hawaiian music, dance and song. Two performances; one at 7 PM, the other at 8:45. We will be in port until we set sail for Kauai at 11 PM. Almost forgot to mention that tonight there will be the Ultimate Deck Party which is not our thing and something we don’t attend.

The sun is shining and the outside temp is already pretty warm and humid. There’s an interesting blurb in the Patter that local authorities have asked that the ship’s illumination be kept to a minimum while in or near Hawaiian waters, in order to reduce the impact that artificial lighting has on some bird species and their migration routes.

Time to have some breakfast and start our day. But before I go, I must mention that Mike’s name was pulled this morning, and we get dinner for two at the Crown Grill.

See ya………..

P.S. No terminal Gloria. Nada. We booked Ocean for 2014; West Africa. Want to come?

Flowers came from Circle Host

We enjoyed the Halau Hula Olana Show & the wonderfully talented 'keiki' dancers. Those kids put in so much time preparing for their performances & we enjoyed it very much. Although we enjoy Hawaiian music & dance so it might not be as enjoyable for others.

The dimming of lights on all islands has been a goal to reduce problems for migratory birds for a few years. As I recall you're not big into specialty restaurants & nice that Mike won this prize. With sailaway during the deck party we saw some of it but with the showers arriving on the tradewinds we went to our balcony instead. I didn't need anymore food after enjoying an UBD earlier in the evening. :p

Time to have some breakfast and start our day. But before I go, I must mention that Mike’s name was pulled this morning, and we get dinner for two at the Crown Grill.

See ya………..

P.S. No terminal Gloria. Nada. We booked Ocean for 2014; West Africa. Want to come?

Pia, tell Mike congratulations on his win, he'll be having a wonderful steak and you'll find something too! Great Prize.

I looked at the Ocean for 2014 West Africa, only window cabins left and that's never going to happen. If it did, John would declare our cruising OVER!! Have fun, enjoying your journey.

Nothing really worth mentioning on board today, other than some the movie SAFE, will be shown in Vista tonight. In the theater tonight there will be the Halau Hula Olana Show, which will showcase modern Hawaiian music, dance and song. Two performances; one at 7 PM, the other at 8:45.

It looks as if Princess has eliminated having two entertainers or shows each evening, one in the theater and one in another lounge.

I may have missed it, but I do not remember any of your posts mentioning any entertainment in a lounge when there is a performance in the theater other than the Princess show orchestra or other shipboard group.

It looks as if Princess has eliminated having two entertainers or shows each evening, one in the theater and one in another lounge.

I may have missed it, but I do not remember any of your posts mentioning any entertainment in a lounge when there is a performance in the theater other than the Princess show orchestra or other shipboard group.

Bill, This is nothing new. With an 11:00 PM Sailaway from Honolulu this is the same as when we were on the Golden three years ago. We had the Halau Hula Olana Show, a movie and pre-recorded dance music in Explorers and the Wheelhouse until just before Sailaway.

It was love at first sight for us when we spent two weeks in the Hawaiian Islands back in 1989; flying from one to another to spend several days in each of the five - Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Hawaii (Kona and Hilo) and Molokai.

That's exactly how we did our first "non-business" trip to Hawaii, and I loved doing it that way, although it is a lot of work what with flights and rental cars and new hotels (and that was before 9/11 for us) every four or five days. Since you've been to Molokai, put Lanai on your future "to-see" list. It's do-able by ferry right from Lahaina.

Cruise ship is so much easier, isn't it?

Nice that you were recognized with flowers! We came in fourth twice in Alaska, and it's hard being the bridesmaid.;)

Careful, Bill. You'll have the posse after you about how there are more entertainment options than EVER. But, if it's as you noticed, welcome to Anytime Entertainment.

Careful, Bill. You'll have the posse after you about how there are more entertainment options than EVER. But, if it's as you noticed, welcome to Anytime Entertainment.

First time cruisers love Anytime Entertainment because they do not know how it used to be.

Can't discuss the merits/demerits of Anytime Entertainment because last month the Golden and Coral still had the old format shows. Just saying that the choices for the evening in Honolulu are not a reflection of Anytime Entertainment, unless it started in October of 2009 on the Golden.

Can't discuss the merits/demerits of Anytime Entertainment because last month the Golden and Coral still had the old format shows. Just saying that the choices for the evening in Honolulu are not a reflection of Anytime Entertainment, unless it started in October of 2009 on the Golden.

From another thread about the Sapphire Princess

"I was surprised by the shows being only 30 minutes long."

and another poster on that thread:

"I am surprised too that the shows are only 30 minutes. Is that something new?"

We enjoyed the Halau Hula Olana Show & the wonderfully talented 'keiki' dancers. Those kids put in so much time preparing for their performances & we enjoyed it very much. Although we enjoy Hawaiian music & dance so it might not be as enjoyable for others.

The dimming of lights on all islands has been a goal to reduce problems for migratory birds for a few years. As I recall you're not big into specialty restaurants & nice that Mike won this prize. With sailaway during the deck party we saw some of it but with the showers arriving on the tradewinds we went to our balcony instead. I didn't need anymore food after enjoying an UBD earlier in the evening. :p

Just want you to know that I spoke with H about 1/2 hour ago and we have a time and place set up for Sunday. As for specialty dining, it's me, not Mike. For me to pay extra would be a travesty. He eats everything. ;)

Greetings from Starbucks at the Ala Moana shopping center. You had faith in me that would find one, right? :)

I think I forgot to mention the ventriloquist when I logged on this morning. No, we hadn't seen him previously. And yes, he was underwhelming. The funniest part of the show was the woman sitting behind us cackling at anything and everything. She was a show unto herself.

Internet was screwy this morning and wouldn't log off. It cost me lots of minutes which the manager very graciously returned. His name is Serge and he comes from Serbia. I told him I'd be giving him honorable mention.

Nothing else to report. Just nice to have this additional internet time and good coffee as well. See you later or tomorrow AM in Kauai.

Joyce, we had to book OV guarantee and waitlist for a balcony. Within 12 hours the OV turned into a BE guarantee. I can live with that. You know there will be lots of cancellations. We are still 19 months from departure. You book it and tell Gloria to do it as well. Tina is booked on it too and we encouraged Donna yesterday to book, but she needs more FCC's which she'll get at the end of this month.

Bye.

[ We will be in port until we set sail for Kauai at 11 PM. Almost forgot to mention that tonight there will be the Ultimate Deck Party which is not our thing and something we don’t attend.[/size][/font]

The sun is shining and the outside temp is already pretty warm and humid. There’s an interesting blurb in the Patter that local authorities have asked that the ship’s illumination be kept to a minimum while in or near Hawaiian waters, in order to reduce the impact that artificial lighting has on some bird species and their migration routes.]

Isn't the night of the Deck Party the night they put MORE lights than usual on the decks of the ship. :confused:

Sounds like great (not) planning to cram so much into one night. Wouldn't the party have been more appropriate Sunday night after sailing OUT of Hawaiian waters? :confused:

Our plans for today are to just meander about. We will probably take the Hilo Hattie shuttle or the Maui Divers shuttle; both are free and run often.

Do either of them go by the International Market place?

The sun is shining and the outside temp is already pretty warm and humid. There’s an interesting blurb in the Patter that local authorities have asked that the ship’s illumination be kept to a minimum while in or near Hawaiian waters, in order to reduce the impact that artificial lighting has on some bird species and their migration routes.

That is very interesting.

But before I go, I must mention that Mike’s name was pulled this morning, and we get dinner for two at the Crown Grill.

Great news...maybe this will be the start of a winning streak. Well it's a winning steak anyway.

Cool.

Do you dock at Aloha Tower? Funny story we were watching the new Hawaii Five 0 recently and I was excitedly telling my wife "Look, look that's the Aloha tower where ships dock." Just then someone in the show got shot. :eek:She asked if we had to dock there.;)

Just want you to know that I spoke with H about 1/2 hour ago and we have a time and place set up for Sunday. As for specialty dining, it's me, not Mike. For me to pay extra would be a travesty. He eats everything. ;)

Mahalo!

Isn't the night of the Deck Party the night they put MORE lights than usual on the decks of the ship. :confused:

Sounds like great (not) planning to cram so much into one night. Wouldn't the party have been more appropriate Sunday night after sailing OUT of Hawaiian waters? :confused:

My deck party in Honolulu didn't have bright lights & sailing from Lahaina for the Mainland has always been very windy so probably not a good time for a deck party & generally better weather during the late evening in Honolulu.

Greetings from Starbucks at the Ala Moana shopping center. You had faith in me that would find one, right? :)

I think I forgot to mention the ventriloquist when I logged on this morning. No, we hadn't seen him previously. And yes, he was underwhelming. The funniest part of the show was the woman sitting behind us cackling at anything and everything. She was a show unto herself.

Internet was screwy this morning and wouldn't log off. It cost me lots of minutes which the manager very graciously returned. His name is Serge and he comes from Serbia. I told him I'd be giving him honorable mention.

Nothing else to report. Just nice to have this additional internet time and good coffee as well. See you later or tomorrow AM in Kauai.

Joyce, we had to book OV guarantee and waitlist for a balcony. Within 12 hours the OV turned into a BE guarantee. I can live with that. You know there will be lots of cancellations. We are still 19 months from departure. You book it and tell Gloria to do it as well. Tina is booked on it too and we encouraged Donna yesterday to book, but she needs more FCC's which she'll get at the end of this month.

Bye.

Hope you enjoyed the good coffee. Will talk to John about it over the weekend. We've got no FCC until this time next Saturday when we're on the Caribbean Princess, finally! Hope you had a great day today!!

Hi Michelle, Sounds like the So. Ca. M&G was wonderful. We're really looking forward to meeting Gloria & Lew next week. Also, you met 2 of our dearest friends, Joe (waltd) and Jak. Will try to attend the next M&G if there is one.

Wow, what a beautiful picture!

Hi Joyce, the M&G was wonderful. Such great people! I can completely understand why joe and Jak are dear friends. Really nice guys.

I do think there is talk of another Southern California meet and greet. I would imagine once it gets more "life" there will be posts on Southern Calif M&G thread.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

I agree, and I'm also disappointed by this change. Since they seemed to choose an arbitary period, they could just have easily picked three years instead of two. Princess opens schedules out two years and sometimes slightly more. What good is a two year FCC? Unless it was just purchased yesterday, it could very possibly be expired.

I wonder what percentage of FCCs will now go unredeemed compared to before.

Princess wonders how many will be redeemed sooner than later. This plan is still the best at sea. I just redeemed one that I purchased on RCL and it doesn't compare with CCL. If you get that ship board credit, you can not get the WOW sale credit, you can not get your stock credit. You get ONE thing, no double dipping. Two years??? Will I have enough FCCs to cover my cruises. I can easily use them up in two years. Alice

OK. Pia's computer is back again with sort of free wifi. You know I can't stay away when free minutes are involved. We are now sitting on the patio of Hooter's at Aloha Tower. Water view, cool breeze and the only cost is Mike's Coor's Light at $2.25. It's Happy Hour for beer; 1/2 price between 3 and 6. So you can all make notes for future reference.

Kentski: the Maui Divers shuttle will take you to Waikiki. Don't know where it drops you there, but I'm inclined to think it may very well end up near the International Market Place.

Chamima: I agree that the party should have been after we sailed away from Hawaii. My logic and your logic seem to have lost.

OK. Outta here until tomorrow.

Archived