LIVE from the Star Princess; RT SFO to Hawaii - Oct. 6th to 21st

Pia1913

Does anyone know that since my cruise is sold out both inside and outside and we have a guarantee inside cabin but have not received a cabin assignment yet, does this mean that we might get a balcony upgrade???

"When you wish upon a star..."

Does anyone know that since my cruise is sold out both inside and outside and we have a guarantee inside cabin but have not received a cabin assignment yet, does this mean that we might get a balcony upgrade???

It could mean they upgrade somebody else and then give you exactly the category that you booked the GTY in...or a higher inside category...or an obstructed oceanview category...or an oceanview category...or what you hope might happen.

I am really looking forward to hearing about your goody bag! Maybe it is one of everything good... Coffee card, dinner at Crown Grill, day in Sanctuary...:)

My guess is that you either get the cabin you booked or an identical cabin that princess deems to be a "better" location (I. e.) a higher deck and more mid ship. However... Here's hoping somebody puts you in an owner's suite. :D

My guess is that you either get the cabin you booked or an identical cabin that princess deems to be a "better" location (I. e.) a higher deck and more mid ship. However... Here's hoping somebody puts you in an owner's suite. :D

Our best upgrade ever was to a Royal suite complete with butler. It had a living room, bedroom, walk in closet, shower, whirlpool tube, double sinks and a dining room. I doubt that it will ever happen again but it was so glorious we didn't get off in every port. :D

Our best upgrade ever was to a Royal suite complete with butler. It had a living room, bedroom, walk in closet, shower, whirlpool tube, double sinks and a dining room. I doubt that it will ever happen again but it was so glorious we didn't get off in every port. :D

What was your original booking before the upgrade?

I used the patch on my first cruise and it made me feel groggy, so I cut it half.

I know some posters say not to do it...but for me it worked, I didn't get sea sick, and felt "normal" :D

( Altoids has a ginger mint in a tin)

Thank you for all the Star post!!! Great info , loved feeling as though I'm on the cruise

Cost Plus World Markets have sold the different flavored Altoids (ginger, licorice, as well as the various mints). I'm going to be going to my closet one in the coming weeks to stock up on those as well as ginger chews. Walmart and Target used to sell the ginger flavored Altoids, but seemed to stop carrying them maybe three or so years ago.

We've enjoyed the museum several times. Beautiful scrimshaw there.

Thanks, I'm working on possible sights to see on our next cruise and was thinking this may be of interest.

I am able to get ginger Altoids at Rite Aid. They do help.

Sali

Trader Joe's sells some really good ginger chews. I love them. Never knew they could be good for motion sickness. The things one learns here...

Good Wednesday morning which appears to be the start of a warm and sunny day. Even though we lost another hour last night, our schedule hasn’t changed a bit. Sorry I didn’t check in again yesterday, but we were a little busy running from one thing to another. We did a whole lot of nothing in the morning, but had a quick early lunch in the IC so as to get good seats for Kevin Hughes presentation on How not to Lose your Mind. I believe this comic has a degree in neuroscience, but you know how the market has been. I suppose they’re not lining up on the corner offering jobs in his field. ;) Seriously though, he’s quite intelligent, has some interesting ideas and injected in his lecture is lots of humor. There was a full house; standing room too.

Afterwards, we stayed in the theater to see Men in Black 3, which as you know is pretty screwy. Mike wondered why he stayed; I sort of enjoyed it. When of course I could figure out what was going on. Not a whole lot of time afterwards before we changed into jeans for dinner. Yes, into jeans. HC of course. Then off to Vista to get front row seats for the movie Arbitrage. Really liked this one a lot.

No chasing around today, because not much happening which interests us. There’s going to be another lei making session for which you need tickets. One today and one tomorrow and these are with ribbons instead of flowers. MUTS is showing “Big” in the AM, and also in the morning there will be a lecture; “Oceanography for Cruise Ship Passengers.”

Afternoon give us another lecture, “How the Telescope Changed our Universe,” Hunger Games in the theater and Yankess vs. Tigers on MUTS.

Evening entertainments is Crooner’s piano player Eric Stone doing a solo show in Vista, The Avengers on MUTS and vocal impressionist Michael Wilson in the theater. Explorer’s again is just doing trivia, the orchestra and then The Quest game. We’re not making a decision now, but our evening may very well be spent watching TV. Our choices are Bridesmaids or Alvin and the Chipmunks. Have seen both, so which would you choose?

BTW, my prize never arrived, so have nothing to report. As for chef's table, it's $95, there was one at the beginning and due to lots of requests, Rui added another one. He even asked us if we wanted to partake, which for this non foodie is really funny.

Auf Wiedersehn for now. OOPS, again I’m in the wrong part of the world.

Pia,

Just so you know your "live" is helping my wife make it through her work day as we wait for our turn to go on November 5th. I copy and send all of your postings to her at work. Thanks for helping to keep her (sort of) sane.

UPDATE: The goodie bag. This prize consists of two boxes of cookies; both shortbread. There’s a large box which is made by the Honolulu Cookie Co. and ha 15 cookies in 6 flavors. The small box says Big Island, is 4 oz. and holds 10 macadamia nut shortbread cookies, at 60 calories each. I have no idea as yet what I’m going to do with them, but one thing I am sure of is those boxes are staying closed. ;)

We happened to be in the deck 5 Atrium at 9:30 and the line for getting the lei tickets was already snaking completely around the periphery and back through the art gallery. Amazing how many women want to do this. And a few men too.

Our day is a bit topsy turvy. We slept a little later, so breakfast came before gym. We went to the Oceanography lecture at 11:00; a very boring half hour of listening to how to measure Ph in the Med and the Amazon. Then guilt set it and I suggested we go to the gym. Not dressed properly for exercise, but still managed to do a not-so-fast mile on the treadmill. Guilt appeased.

Then, also not usual, we went to lunch in the DR; just had philly steak sandwiches. Both of us. Afterwards, we took our books and stayed out on deck 15 for 3 hours. Under cover. Extremely windy today. Very nice to occasionally alter your routine. No altering wine time, though. That’s now. :D

Happy to help keep your wife amused Thrak, and thanks Annie. Perhaps Alvin will win. See you all tomorrow.

Adios. Yes, another country. :)

Pia, meant to ask you: what's been the daytime air temp on your sea days? People who say it's warm or chilly aren't being specific enough for me; I like precise data!

I'm sure the shortbread isn't as good as the average Tim Tam. Too bad the goodie bag didn't have wine. . . .

до свидания!

Pia, meant to ask you: what's been the daytime air temp on your sea days? People who say it's warm or chilly aren't being specific enough for me; I like precise data!

I'm sure the shortbread isn't as good as the average Tim Tam. Too bad the goodie bag didn't have wine. . . .

до свидания!

I happen to love the cookies from the Honolulu Cookie Company. Especially the chocolate shortbread with white chocolate.. Pia, I think that its a great prize. And while I do not know this for a fact, I pretty sure they might taste really yummy with wine!:)

Enjoy the prize and the day!

I happen to love the cookies from the Honolulu Cookie Company. Especially the chocolate shortbread with white chocolate.. Pia, I think that its a great prize. And while I do not know this for a fact, I pretty sure they might taste really yummy with wine!:)

Enjoy the prize and the day!

Mmm, chocolate shortbread. All you need is some red wine and you've got yourself a heart-healthy snack right there!

Mmm, chocolate shortbread. All you need is some red wine and you've got yourself a heart-healthy snack right there!

Seriously, Annie, HCC shortbread might just be the best shortbread EVER... and so many yummy flavors.

We probably need to book a HI cruise just to test the theory...;)

UPDATE: The goodie bag. This prize consists of two boxes of cookies; both shortbread. There’s a large box which is made by the Honolulu Cookie Co. and ha 15 cookies in 6 flavors. The small box says Big Island, is 4 oz. and holds 10 macadamia nut shortbread cookies, at 60 calories each. I have no idea as yet what I’m going to do with them, but one thing I am sure of is those boxes are staying closed. ;)

HCC shortbread might just be the best shortbread EVER... and so many yummy flavors.

We probably need to book a HI cruise just to test the theory...;)

And what a great 60 calories to enjoy! The HCC shortbread cookies are great & we enjoy their variety pack very much...ono-licious!!! :D

And what a great 60 calories to enjoy! The HCC shortbread cookies are great & we enjoy their variety pack very much...ono-licious!!! :D

So jealous that you live in HI, at least part time, and you get to have HCC shortbread anytime...

I live in NC. No HCC.:(

When I get to HI, one of my first stops is HCC. And here is a helpful hint to anyone traveling to HI. If you go into an HCC store, they will often give you a full size cookie as a sample! Bonus!!!

(Sorry, Pia, for the Highjack. I am feeling all kinds of obsessed right now!) Back to Pia's Most Excellent Live From...:)

Archived