LIVE from the Star Princess; RT SFO to Hawaii - Oct. 6th to 21st

Pia1913

As explained by the FCC on the Star last week, the main reason is peoples credit card expiration dates making the four years a logistical hassle.

That makes no sense at all.

a) I could use a credit card that expires within 30 days of the cruise I am on to purchase an FCC. There is no requirement the credit card used has to have a far off expiration date. (In fact, five credit cards in my wallet right now expire in less than two years.)

b) An expiring credit card usually is renewed with the same credit card number so a bank would have no problem giving a refund to it.

c) If the credit card number is changed, the bank can still figure out where to credit the money to. (One of my cards that expires in less than two years had the number changed recently due to a fraudulent charge to the card.)

Only if a credit card account is closed does it become a problem. What happens then is the bank notifies Princess the account is closed and Princess sends a check to the person. Just takes more time. But if a FCC has not been used in four years, what's another month for a refund to occur going to matter?

I have no idea what % of FCCs end up being refunded at the end of four years, but I bet there will be more (and thus less Princess bookings) with the shorter expiration date.

a) I could use a credit card that expires within 30 days of the cruise I am on to purchase an FCC. There is no requirement the credit card used has to have a far off expiration date. (In fact, five credit cards in my wallet right now expire in less than two years.)

b) An expiring credit card usually is renewed with the same credit card number so a bank would have no problem giving a refund to it.

c) If the credit card number is changed, the bank can still figure out where to credit the money to. (One of my cards that expires in less than two years had the number changed recently due to a fraudulent charge to the card.)

Only if a credit card account is closed does it become a problem. What happens then is the bank notifies Princess the account is closed and Princess sends a check to the person. Just takes more time. But if a FCC has not been used in four years, what's another month for a refund to occur going to matter?

I have no idea what % of FCCs end up being refunded at the end of four years, but I bet there will be more (and thus less Princess bookings) with the shorter expiration date.

As I recall the young lady who works in the Captain's Circle ( Pippa ) did mention something about the credit cards expiering before the FCC was used.

I agree, and I'm also disappointed by this change. Since they seemed to choose an arbitary period, they could just have easily picked three years instead of two. Princess opens schedules out two years and sometimes slightly more. What good is a two year FCC? Unless it was just purchased yesterday, it could very possibly be expired.

I wonder what percentage of FCCs will now go unredeemed compared to before.

Pia,

Please tell Meredith that I hope she's doing great. We both had the hip replacement summer. But I'm sure we're both good to go now.

If you post about your LA friends, I'll have Joe (waltd) e-mail me.

We did your cruise 2 years ago and I recall the internet connections were terrible.

Looking forward to finally meeting Gloria & Lew next Friday.

I just met Gloria and Lew at a Southern California meet and greet for the Royal TA next year. Lovely people. I'm sure you will enjoy cruising with them.:)

As a rule I don't post pics of the sea on its own....but todays pic looks great....

WOW ... talk about Blue Hawaii...

Wheres Elvis?:D:D

12bluehawaii.jpg

Nearly there....

12blue3.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful picture!

Hi Pia!

Please pass along our greetings to Mike! Enjoying reading your live but no wine for tonight, so you will have to have one for me! :eek: Thanks so much for doing your live and to everyone who contributes such great information!

denise

Here I am again with just a few tidbits.

As always, the MTL was great. I however had too much wine and not enough food. I was so happy getting my requestedSauv. Blanc, that I forgot everything else.

We just returned from Runway at Sea; fun fashion show with a few nice items. Vickie and Bernie were both models and did a very professional job.

One more thing which I haven’t mentioned. Each morning on the Wake Show there is only one prize awarded to the person with the correct answer to the question of the day. Not being very lucky, I don’t expect either one of our names to be selected. Anyhow, the prizes have been.

1. A coffee card

2. A massage

3. Sabatini’s dinner for two

4. A half day in the Sanctuary; for two.

Sure beats a water bottle or a lanyard.

Re: Swells. Yes, we are rocking a bit, but really nothing worth mentioning.

Bye for now. See you tomorrow.

One more thing which I haven’t mentioned. Each morning on the Wake Show there is only one prize awarded to the person with the correct answer to the question of the day. Not being very lucky, I don’t expect either one of our names to be selected.

How 'bout Meredith? Is she whining and getting the box stuffed for her (again)? Kelvin Joy just wanted to know ...

Pia the Future Cruise Consultant stated to me yesterday that even though the fcc are now good for two years if you wish to extend the time all you have to do is call Princess and they will extend another two years. This change was made cause most people either book within the two years of getting the credit deposit. Statistics showed that those that had not used it by two years never used it within the four years.

just to reiterate, all you need to do is call in two years to ask that your "new credits you buy" (those after Oct 13)

Thanks Pia for taking pics of us.

Not sure why post was removed but that is fine....

thanks for following along. Today's post covers the luncheon, the fashion show, the events today

Pia you are such a dear so glad we have met

Aloha Pia and Mike,

Whoa ... lucky you taking 5 bottles on board. Any left? :D:D

What a bummer ... $5.00 for wine/cocktails at Platinum, Elite, Suite social at Skywalker. Remember the $2.99 specials on the Ruby 2010?

Jack and I were on similar cruise on the Golden RT out of LA two years ago. What fun we had. Wishing the same for you guys and all on board.

Hope you get to visit with Jane and Terry. If so, give big hug from us.

I just met Gloria and Lew at a Southern California meet and greet for the Royal TA next year. Lovely people. I'm sure you will enjoy cruising with them.:)

Hi Michelle, Sounds like the So. Ca. M&G was wonderful. We're really looking forward to meeting Gloria & Lew next week. Also, you met 2 of our dearest friends, Joe (waltd) and Jak. Will try to attend the next M&G if there is one.

Good morning Pia,

We are almost ready for our trip tomorrow, both fully packed. Yes, Lew actually packed two days before trip, not night before.

Say hi to Donna and Dennis from us, today in Hilo.

We will continue to follow you along in our travels.

Say hi to Mike.

Gloria and Lew:D:D

Welcome to Hilo on this beautiful Thursday morning where it has just stopped raining and the sun is trying to come out. Hilo is on the Big island of Hawaii; the largest of all the Hawaiian Islands. We’ve been here several times, but this time it’s special since we’ll be seeing our friends Donna and Dennis who live here; actually 1 ½ hours away on Kona. We sometimes travel together, last time being on the Diamond in April/May.

A little background. Hawaii was formed by five overlapping volcanoes and of these, two are still active; Mauna Kea and Kilauea. Visitors can view Kilauea’s eruption at Volcanoes National Park. Kilauea began erupting in the mid 80’s and still continues today. We were there on our last visit a few years ago and there’s a chance we may go up there again today. Hilo is also the world’s largest grower of orchids; flowers from Hilo are shipped all over the world. A visit here should also include a look at Hilo’s black sand beach. I recall when we first saw it in 1989, how we marveled at something so beautiful and unique.

Last night we elected to see the movie Rock of Ages. While it won’t win an academy award, we did enjoy the music. I never knew Tom Cruise could sing. Story line was sort of skewed, but we enjoyed it. When we returned to our cabin we found a gorgeous floral arrangement but with no card. I will have to do a bit of sleuthing to find out who sent it.

\

I don’t think many will stay aboard today, but if they do there’s nothing to do. MUTS has Giants vs. Reds, which started at 7:00 AM and then MUTS will show Steelers vs. Titans at 2:20 PM. At 2:30 the movie Moonrise Kingdom will be shown in the theater.

Tonight’s offerings are Man on a Ledge on MUTS, Star Princess orchestra in Vista and ventriloquist Dan Horn in the theater. I think we’ve seen him before, but will probably take a peek anyway.

It’s time to do something about breakfast and prepare to get off the ship around 9:00. Oh yes, Wake Show prize of the day will be dinner for two at the Crown Grill.

Beg3yrs: Meredith is not here. They are waiting for us in Vegas.

Gloria, Joyce et al: have a great cruise.

Over and out for now.

aren't you sweet!

Yes we do have different styles and we seem to do different things so it is great having to perspectives. I have always loved following along on your live froms and so honoured to have met you.

Yeah I blog and have my fan page on facebook.... but my heart has been with CC for so long and cherish the friends I have made here and love coming back to share with others.

Pia wil see you on board, at minimum will see you tomorrow at the lunch.

Gold Party is tonight - they will draw one invite that will win "elite" benefits for the rest of the cruise.

I am sitting at work reading both of your posts. Thank you both! Vickie I've been following yours through Mexico because my wife and I had originally booked that cruise. We ended up changing it to the California Coastal leaving this Saturday.

Thanks again ladies, I am loving your reviews!

Had not been on Princess for quite a while.

What is 'Platinum, Elite, Suite social' ?

Do they server free food/drinks (or that's my fat dream)??

Do they have it daily or ?

Thanks.

If you click on this link there's a thread currently discussing it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1719829

Welcome to Hilo on this beautiful Thursday morning where it has just stopped raining and the sun is trying to come out. Hilo is on the Big island of Hawaii; the largest of all the Hawaiian Islands. We’ve been here several times, but this time it’s special since we’ll be seeing our friends Donna and Dennis who live here; actually 1 ½ hours away on Kona. We sometimes travel together, last time being on the Diamond in April/May.

A little background. Hawaii was formed by five overlapping volcanoes and of these, two are still active; Mauna Kea and Kilauea. Visitors can view Kilauea’s eruption at Volcanoes National Park. Kilauea began erupting in the mid 80’s and still continues today. We were there on our last visit a few years ago and there’s a chance we may go up there again today. Hilo is also the world’s largest grower of orchids; flowers from Hilo are shipped all over the world. A visit here should also include a look at Hilo’s black sand beach. I recall when we first saw it in 1989, how we marveled at something so beautiful and unique.

Last night we elected to see the movie Rock of Ages. While it won’t win an academy award, we did enjoy the music. I never knew Tom Cruise could sing. Story line was sort of skewed, but we enjoyed it. When we returned to our cabin we found a gorgeous floral arrangement but with no card. I will have to do a bit of sleuthing to find out who sent it.

\

I don’t think many will stay aboard today, but if they do there’s nothing to do. MUTS has Giants vs. Reds, which started at 7:00 AM and then MUTS will show Steelers vs. Titans at 2:20 PM. At 2:30 the movie Moonrise Kingdom will be shown in the theater.

Tonight’s offerings are Man on a Ledge on MUTS, Star Princess orchestra in Vista and ventriloquist Dan Horn in the theater. I think we’ve seen him before, but will probably take a peek anyway.

It’s time to do something about breakfast and prepare to get off the ship around 9:00. Oh yes, Wake Show prize of the day will be dinner for two at the Crown Grill.

Beg3yrs: Meredith is not here. They are waiting for us in Vegas.

Gloria, Joyce et al: have a great cruise.

Over and out for now.

Pia;

Hope you're having a wonderful day in Hilo.....:):):)

Bob

Checking in for a few minutes. Just returned from a wonderful day in Hilo with our friends who actually drove two hours to meet us. We started by going up to Volcanoes National Park to see the formations of lava rock flows and also to stop at the Jaggar Museum. We also managed to look into three different gift shops and I bought a poster in one of them. Poster inexpensive. Framing will most likely cost an arm and a leg. We also saw a movie and looked at many exhibits. This was our third visit to the park, but there’s always something new and interesting to see.

We went into town for lunch; a lovely restaurant Café Pesto. Donna, Dennis and Mike all had interesting lunch items. I had a burger. Yeh, I know, booooooooooorrrrring!!!! Of course we couldn’t go back to the ship without a mandatory stop at Walmart. Much easier when you have your own vehicle. What did we buy? Two more bottles of wine.

Almost time for all aboard and Mike has decided to take a nap. We’re going to see the ventriloquist at 7:00 and then perhaps a small dinner in HC afterwards.

Gloria, yes, I recall the mysterious flower arrangement. However when I asked they said the top five got them. Here we are way low at number seven. Maybe they are doing top ten. Whatever, they are beautiful.

See you tomorrow in Honolulu.

Checking in for a few minutes. Just returned from a wonderful day in Hilo with our friends who actually drove two hours to meet us. We started by going up to Volcanoes National Park to see the formations of lava rock flows and also to stop at the Jaggar Museum. We also managed to look into three different gift shops and I bought a poster in one of them. Poster inexpensive. Framing will most likely cost an arm and a leg. We also saw a movie and looked at many exhibits. This was our third visit to the park, but there’s always something new and interesting to see.

We went into town for lunch; a lovely restaurant Café Pesto. Donna, Dennis and Mike all had interesting lunch items. I had a burger. Yeh, I know, booooooooooorrrrring!!!! Of course we couldn’t go back to the ship without a mandatory stop at Walmart. Much easier when you have your own vehicle. What did we buy? Two more bottles of wine.

Almost time for all aboard and Mike has decided to take a nap. We’re going to see the ventriloquist at 7:00 and then perhaps a small dinner in HC afterwards.

Gloria, yes, I recall the mysterious flower arrangement. However when I asked they said the top five got them. Here we are way low at number seven. Maybe they are doing top ten. Whatever, they are beautiful.

To the person who had wanted to know about what is sold in the terminal, there is no terminal. Nothing at all being sold at this port.

See you tomorrow in Honolulu.

Archived