LIVE from the Star Princess; RT SFO to Hawaii - Oct. 6th to 21st

Pia1913

What happened to Vicki Live :confused:

Moderators if I should not ask please delete this post and sorry if I am breaking a C.C. policy for asking the question :o

Thought getting 2 perspectives would of been good.

It's disappeared. I asked the same question yesterday, and my thread disappeared.

Whoops! WRONG:o--It is vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.com

or just Google

Vickie's Adventures Day to Day and you will get to it--eventually.

We know she has a blog going... the question was (and is) what happened to her "Live From" thread?? :confused:

This is OT from Pia's thread and shud be put to rest. Maybe Pia could ask Vickie??

We know she has a blog going... the question was (and is) what happened to her "Live From" thread?? :confused:

This is OT from Pia's thread and shud be put to rest. Maybe Pia could ask Vickie??

I don't think Vickie had a "live" going at all. Just the blog. Oddly enough both the .com and the .ca links work and take you to the same place.

I don't think Vickie had a "live" going at all. Just the blog. Oddly enough both the .com and the .ca links work and take you to the same place.

She had a "live" going here on Cruise Critic. Most of her entries pointed to the new day's exntry in the blog. It was a direct link to each day's blog and very useful.

There were two photography classes during our 10-day Mexico cruise, but we missed both. What did you think of the class? I adjust my DSLR camera settings manually, so I'm wondering what topics they cover. Will try for it on our Hawaii cruise next year.

Thanks, and thoroughly enjoying your posts!

I attended both last week. The first was beginnerish talking about settings and such, Second was fun. We got to explore the ship as a group taking pics and practicing and ended up in the Platinum studio playing with the lights and drinking comp mimosas.

Tuesday October 9th looks like another beautiful day at sea. The sun is shining and the outside temperature will be in the mid 70’s, as we sail along to our Hawaiian destinations. Just in case you’re wondering, we did not do formal night, we did not go to the dining room and we did not see the show. We did watch “Did you Hear About the Morgans? on our stateroom TV. For the 2nd or 3rd time.

Other than trivia, the morning brings us “50 First Dates” on MUTS, lecture, “Dolphins - mammals with the endless smiles,” a pub lunch and something in the Piazza called 60 Second Frenzy.

On the afternoon agenda we have another lecture; “History of Astronomy - from Caveman to Hubble” the movie “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” in the theater and the old movie “ 9 to 5” on MUTS. For those familiar with it, the staff will be running the “game”, Elevator Roulette. We seldom see this, but it can be fun. Silly, crazy, fun. If you need more info, I’m sure someone posting here will be happy to explain it to you. Probably Bill. <wink> <wink>

Tonight, as far as we’re concerned, there’s nothing. In the theater is an instrumentalist; David Klinkenberg. In Vista there’s the Orphea Quartet. In Explorer’s there’s music and dancing followed by Liar’s Club. For us, there will probably be exciting CNBC or similar. Or just reading. No movie on TV that we care to see again.

Joyce: We’ll be in Vegas for 4 days and then LA for 3. Seeing friends Bob and Meredith in LV and then having a mini M and G with two Royal passengers in LA. With their consent, will tell you whom on the Coral LIVE.

Usnuz: Weather good and we haven’t had any ports yet. First one is Hilo on Thursday.

Astro: Email reponse

Internet seems to have gotten spotty, so I hope this gets posted. Up until now it’s been good and fast. Couldn’t connect last night at all. Wish me luck.

Meanwhile, weather is so nice and gym was so crowded, that we are going to have our breakfast out here on deck. Later.

Pia,

Please tell Meredith that I hope she's doing great. We both had the hip replacement summer. But I'm sure we're both good to go now.

If you post about your LA friends, I'll have Joe (waltd) e-mail me.

We did your cruise 2 years ago and I recall the internet connections were terrible.

Looking forward to finally meeting Gloria & Lew next Friday.

I hope the cruise continues to be excellent for all of you. I'm enjoying reading how it is on the Star (done the LA one on the Island and the Golden). Also enjoying reading Vickie's postings on FB.

I remember watching "50 Dates" two years ago on the Golden. I guess it's moved from the "new movie" category to the "Hawaiian-based movie" one.

I've heard the CD on your cruise will be moving to the Golden within the next two months.

Other than trivia, the morning brings us “50 First Dates” on MUTS, lecture, “Dolphins - mammals with the endless smiles,” a pub lunch and something in the Piazza called 60 Second Frenzy.

On the afternoon agenda we have another lecture; “History of Astronomy - from Caveman to Hubble” the movie “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” in the theater and the old movie “ 9 to 5” on MUTS. For those familiar with it, the staff will be running the “game”, Elevator Roulette. We seldom see this, but it can be fun. Silly, crazy, fun. If you need more info, I’m sure someone posting here will be happy to explain it to you. Probably Bill. <wink> <wink>

Tonight, as far as we’re concerned, there’s nothing. In the theater is an instrumentalist; David Klinkenberg. In Vista there’s the Orphea Quartet. In Explorer’s there’s music and dancing followed by Liar’s Club. For us, there will probably be exciting CNBC or similar. Or just reading. No movie on TV that we care to see again.

Hi Pia. I've been following and enjoying your posts (thanks!) and if I'm correct, there hasn't been any Hawaiian music in the atrium or on deck near the pool, or any Hawaiian themed activities thus far even though the total focus of the cruise is Hawaii.

Having sailed on the Golden with Elua last year, our family and friends sailed to Hawaii on the Star in this past spring, naively expecting to be immersed in the music and activities of the islands. There was little, if any. We noted our disappointment on the questionnaires at the end of the trip, hoping that future cruisers would be better served.

Am I missing something? Have Hawaiian activities and music been provided?

Again....I've appreciated and enjoyed your posts! :)

Tricia

It’s Wednesday October 10th and we’re getting closer to Hawaii. The temp has gotten considerably warmer and we know we are nearing “Paradise.” Expected arrival is tomorrow at 7:00 AM into Hilo and we gain another hour of sleep tonight. Love gaining; hate losing. Hours, that is.

I have some information about the FCC change which goes into effect October 13th. The only difference in the form is the fact that is says; “the deposit should be applied to a booking that sails within two years from date of purchase. If it is not used, the deposit will be automatically refunded.” In essence, this is the exact same verbiage, except that it now will say two years instead of four.

We found something to do last night after all; see the movie “The Lucky One” on MUTS. It was OK. A predictable no-brainer.

Guess what excitement is in store for today. Yes folks, the infamous “up to 75% off” sale at 10 AM in Capri. You can bet there will be at least one more of these towards the end of the cruise. Meanwhile, if you don’t want to go shopping you can see Blue Hawaii on MUTS or attend the lecture “The Birth and Death of Stars.”

The afternoon starts with a seminar on Chinese herbal remedies and acupuncture at noon, followed by a lecture “Flora of Hawii” at 1:15. We have our most traveled luncheon at noon, so of course cannot partake in either event. Also this afternoon will be Dirty Dancing on MUTS, the movie we saw last night in the theater and Runway at Sea fashion show at 4:15.

Tonight’s early movie on MUTS is U2 Vertigo, followed by the movie Moonrise Kingdom. In the theater we have the movie Rock of Ages and my all time “favorite” Motor City is in Vista. They keep saying it will be retired, but that show is still alive and kicking. Also tonight in Explorer’s is 70’s trivia followed by a 70’s party. This is not exactly age appropriate for the majority of passengers on this cruise.

BTW, we received an email last night that our obstructed view Emerald deck cabin on the Coral (Oct. 28th), has been replaced with a balcony cabin very close by on the same deck. This is sort of strange, since our bookings are usually marked “no upgrade.” Am I complaining? Definitely not.

Hawaiian music is piped into HC; that's what we've noticed. This is not an Elua cruise. As for photography, I read a book. I was just there with Mike. Also, Vickie and I discussed it yesterday. We can't imagine why.

See you later if there’s something to say. Otherwise, tomorrow in Hilo.

Hi Pia, There was a snippet on the news today about the high surf. I took this excerpt from NOAA:

.MARINE...

THE LARGE NORTHWEST SWELL THAT HAS BROUGHT HEAVY SURF TO THE

ISLANDS WILL CONTINUE TODAY. THE CURRENT WARNING RUNS THROUGH THE DAY

...WITH SURF HEIGHTS EXPECTED TO DROP INTO ADVISORY TERRITORY

TONIGHT. A HIGH SURF ADVISORY IS ALSO IN EFFECT FOR WEST AND

NORTHWEST FACING SHORES OF THE BIG ISLAND.

THE NW SWELL IS BRINGING COMBINED SEAS OF 10+ FEET TO COASTAL

WATERS EXPOSED TO THE SWELL. A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IS CURRENTLY

IN EFFECT FOR THESE HAZARDOUS SEAS...WHICH CURRENTLY RUNS THROUGH

TODAY.

&&

.HFO WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...

HIGH SURF WARNING UNTIL 6 PM HST THIS EVENING FOR NIIHAU-KAUAI

WINDWARD-KAUAI LEEWARD-WAIANAE COAST-OAHU NORTH SHORE-OAHU

KOOLAU-MOLOKAI-MAUI WINDWARD WEST-WINDWARD HALEAKALA.

HIGH SURF ADVISORY UNTIL 6 PM HST THIS EVENING FOR KONA-BIG

ISLAND NORTH AND EAST.

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY UNTIL 6 PM HST THIS EVENING FOR KAUAI

NORTHWEST WATERS-KAUAI WINDWARD WATERS-KAUAI LEEWARD WATERS-

KAUAI CHANNEL-OAHU WINDWARD WATERS-KAIWI CHANNEL-MAUI COUNTY

WINDWARD WATERS-BIG ISLAND WINDWARD WATERS.

Hope you miss the action!

Hi Pia, There was a snippet on the news today about the high surf. I took this excerpt from NOAA:

.MARINE...

THE LARGE NORTHWEST SWELL THAT HAS BROUGHT HEAVY SURF TO THE

ISLANDS WILL CONTINUE TODAY. THE CURRENT WARNING RUNS THROUGH THE DAY

...WITH SURF HEIGHTS EXPECTED TO DROP INTO ADVISORY TERRITORY

TONIGHT. A HIGH SURF ADVISORY IS ALSO IN EFFECT FOR WEST AND

NORTHWEST FACING SHORES OF THE BIG ISLAND.

THE NW SWELL IS BRINGING COMBINED SEAS OF 10+ FEET TO COASTAL

WATERS EXPOSED TO THE SWELL. A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IS CURRENTLY

IN EFFECT FOR THESE HAZARDOUS SEAS...WHICH CURRENTLY RUNS THROUGH

TODAY.

&&

.HFO WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...

HIGH SURF WARNING UNTIL 6 PM HST THIS EVENING FOR NIIHAU-KAUAI

WINDWARD-KAUAI LEEWARD-WAIANAE COAST-OAHU NORTH SHORE-OAHU

KOOLAU-MOLOKAI-MAUI WINDWARD WEST-WINDWARD HALEAKALA.

HIGH SURF ADVISORY UNTIL 6 PM HST THIS EVENING FOR KONA-BIG

ISLAND NORTH AND EAST.

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY UNTIL 6 PM HST THIS EVENING FOR KAUAI

NORTHWEST WATERS-KAUAI WINDWARD WATERS-KAUAI LEEWARD WATERS-

KAUAI CHANNEL-OAHU WINDWARD WATERS-KAIWI CHANNEL-MAUI COUNTY

WINDWARD WATERS-BIG ISLAND WINDWARD WATERS.

Hope you miss the action!

When these occur does that usually mean you can not dock or even tender. I am asking as we are going to book for next year. Thank You

I have some information about the FCC change which goes into effect October 13th. The only difference in the form is the fact that is says; “the deposit should be applied to a booking that sails within two years from date of purchase. If it is not used, the deposit will be automatically refunded.” In essence, this is the exact same verbiage, except that it now will say two years instead of four.

Thanks for the info.

Did the Future Cruise Consultant have any idea what the logic was to make this change to a program that seemed to be working very well?

Thanks for the info.

Did the Future Cruise Consultant have any idea what the logic was to make this change to a program that seemed to be working very well?

As explained by the FCC on the Star last week, the main reason is peoples credit card expiration dates making the four years a logistical hassle.

When these occur does that usually mean you can not dock or even tender. I am asking as we are going to book for next year. Thank You

I can't imagine this would be a problem for Hilo, which is on the other side of the Big Island from Kona.and has a dock. In 2005, when Kona was still on the itinerary, that was the port (in all of our cruises) we had to miss due to the high waves. I guess the captain didn't want to risk tendering there.

Archived