LIVE from the Star Princess; RT SFO to Hawaii - Oct. 6th to 21st

Pia1913

Do you dock at Aloha Tower? Funny story we were watching the new Hawaii Five 0 recently and I was excitedly telling my wife "Look, look that's the Aloha tower where ships dock." Just then someone in the show got shot. :eek:She asked if we had to dock there.;)

Had to jump in here in re: Hawaii Five-O - Our overall crime rate in the state is low, and there are all kinds of statistics that give Honolulu high marks as the safest large city in the nation. There are more crimes and shootings and mayhem in one episode of Hawaii Five-O than there are in Honolulu in months. Not to worry!!!

Nice to read your updates after a really difficult day.

I am so happy to hear that Mike won! And the flowers sound lovely...

If I close my eyes, I can almost smell Hawaii. Smells like Heaven.

Enjoy, and please keep posting. :)

Thank you,

TL

Isn't the night of the Deck Party the night they put MORE lights than usual on the decks of the ship. :confused:

Sounds like great (not) planning to cram so much into one night. Wouldn't the party have been more appropriate Sunday night after sailing OUT of Hawaiian waters? :confused:

One of the reasons Princess keeps the ships in Honolulu late is because there is so much to do. I've been on a number of Hawaiian cruises with Princess and the deck party has always been Honolulu sailaway - the timing is right, the sailaway from Honolulu is beautiful.

The last deck parties I've been to have been subdued when it came to lighting - most of it was generated from the pool deck and MUTS (they could turn that off) otherwise all the top decks were pretty dark.

Thanks for the 'Live From' Pia -

Kentski: the Maui Divers shuttle will take you to Waikiki. Don't know where it drops you there, but I'm inclined to think it may very well end up near the International Market Place.

Thanks. Is there a charge for the Maui Divers shuttle? We'd planned to rent a car in Honolulu but it sounds as if we won't need it.

Chamima: I agree that the party should have been after we sailed away from Hawaii.

My logic and your logic seem to have lost.

I completely agree. Why have an activity that big while in the islands? Better to have it as a special deal after leaving Hawaii. (Do people still call it "the islands"? When I was a kid that's how people always referred to Hawaii.)

OK. Outta here until tomorrow.

I'll look forward to your next post.

Had to jump in here in re: Hawaii Five-O - Our overall crime rate in the state is low, and there are all kinds of statistics that give Honolulu high marks as the safest large city in the nation. There are more crimes and shootings and mayhem in one episode of Hawaii Five-O than there are in Honolulu in months. Not to worry!!!

LOL, Crime and killing aside, watching Hawaii-Five-0, (which I love) is one of the reasons that hubby and I have booked a Hawaiian cruise in January of 2014! We can't wait to see some of the places that we have seen in the show! And, despite the crime in the show, hubby and I believe that Hawaii's streets are no more unsafe than any other larger cities in the world! Hell we are even going to give the mean streets of Cartegena, Columbia a stroll in just two weeks!

So, keep your offerings coming, Pia! We love to hear everything about your cruise!

Kimm

Hi Joyce, the M&G was wonderful. Such great people! I can completely understand why joe and Jak are dear friends. Really nice guys.

I do think there is talk of another Southern California meet and greet. I would imagine once it gets more "life" there will be posts on Southern Calif M&G thread.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

Hi Michelle,

I've already told Joe to have my guest bedroom ready, I'll be there if there is another M&G.

Thanks for the good wishes, starting to get excited about getting back on a Princess ship (where I belong).

Hell we are even going to give the mean streets of Cartegena, Columbia a stroll in just two weeks!
We walked to the fort in Cartagena from the ship on our Panama cruise on the Coral last October. Hardest part was getting past the cab drivers at the gate. About a mile from the fort we were stopped by a policeman who thought we were lost. Keep your eyes on the sidewalk so you don't step in anything. My wife didn't enjoy the walk and said it was one of the scariest times of her life. I didn't see anything that I thought justified her fear, but I doubt we will do it again.

Thanks I'm not worried. I know TV exaggerates for the sake of the dramatic. My godson played a vicious, horrid character on "CSI: New York" and a Murderer on "Friday Night Lights" among others. And a friend of ours plays a brutal gangster on "Vegas". Both of them are very kind gentle people. I'm always amazed when people ask me if that's what they're really like. I always say "There's a reason it's called acting."

I love the new Hawaii Five-0 and every time we watch an episode I get more excited about going there. We also occasionally stream the old one. Way different shows and times.

If you reread my post I meant it in a humorous vein commenting on my enthusiasm about the Aloha tower juxtapositioned with a murder and didn't mean to denigrate Honolulu. I love it and am looking forward to getting back after too many years gone. However if I would wish for any part of 5-0 real it would be Kamekona and his shrimp stand. ;)

Sorry if I insulted you or your city it was not my intent.

Thanks. Is there a charge for the Maui Divers shuttle? We'd planned to rent a car in Honolulu but it sounds as if we won't need it.

Public transportation in Honolulu is super easy especially if you are headed to Waikiki and International Marketplace.

Thanks for the info that helps. Love your handle.

I have loved reading this thread as we are off on the same cruise in 38 days!!! Can't wait. We just booked it a week and a half ago, so it's very surreal that departure date is so close. I usually have at least 18 months to plan....this time I didn't even have 18 weeks.

Our group is getting together tomorrow to go over excursions and see what we want to do. I can't wait.

We surprised Mom with this trip by telling her that Princess was going to be cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year. We were supposed to go next year, but the prices were just too good to pass up.

Keep up the good work, Pia.

Pia,

So glad you and Mike are having fun (like there is any doubt)

Look for me when you get off on the 21st, are you doing the bus transfer? I am usually working the buses, so you will not miss me.

If you see Douw would you say hello from Jeff and I, he should remember us.

Meredith, I hope your hip replay is going good. Jeff and I sure miss the Phantoms and look forward to a reunion soon.

Ed

Welcome to Nawiliwili, more popularly referred to as the Island of Kauai. Kauai is the home of Waimea Canyon, which Mark Twain called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. The county seat of Kauai is Lihue, which is approximately one mile from Nawiliwili Harbor. Kauai is known as the Garden Isle because of its extravagant plant life and lush landscapes. It’s the oldest of Hawaii’s eight main islands; formed more than 5 million years ago. A whole lot of movies have been filmed here; in part or in its entirety. Some of them are: Jurassic Park, Blue Hawaii, South Pacific and the mini-series Thorn Birds.

Temperature remains the same; warm/hot and humid, with a slight breeze. We did not go to the Hawaiian show last night, simply because we chose to watch a movie in our cabin. The show will be shown on TV (said Martyn), so we’ll eventually see it. As for the movie, eh. Like Crazy is/was its name and I ended up not paying attention and reading instead.

When we were here for the first time over 20 years ago, we were on a tour where a helicopter ride over the Na Pali Coast was included. Mike was going to go with me or without me, so I agreed to do it. And hated every minute of it. I basically kept my eyes closed and only peeked intermittently. There is no way you could get me to do this again. We have no plans today, so may pay Hilo Hattie a visit or perhaps the coconut market place. I don’t remember there being a Walmart here, but I could have forgotten.

Activities on board will be sparse as expected. There are two afternoon movies; in the theater “People Like Us” and on MUTS, “Raiders of the Lost Arc.” In Mid afternoon there will be a presentation in the Piazza on the Art of Hula. I don’t know who will present this, but in essence you will learn about the expressions of the hands telling stories about the flowers, the land and relationships; Hawaii et al.

Tonight’s entertainment is vocalist Mark Preston in the theater and the movie The Descendants in Vista. We’ve seen the movie and don’t usually care for solo singers. But, you never know. We could possibly change our minds. Explorer’s is having a Rock and Roll Night at 9:15; no other explanation given. Could be trivia or could be music. ?????

I’m only mentioning this because if I drank it, it would probably kill me. The cocktail of the day is a KAUAI KOLADA for “only” $7.95 (which translates into $9.15). Contents are: Appleton rum, Bacardi, Kahlua, coconut milk, pineapple juice and sugar syrup.

Now it’s breakfast time. See you later.

Public transportation in Honolulu is super easy especially if you are headed to Waikiki and International Marketplace.

If I recall correctly, which isn't always so, The Maui Divers shuttle was free. It takes you to their "factory" and shop, which we found quite interesting. I think it was closer to Ala Moana, but, again, I'm not sure.

If I recall correctly, which isn't always so, The Maui Divers shuttle was free. It takes you to their "factory" and shop, which we found quite interesting. I think it was closer to Ala Moana, but, again, I'm not sure.

Maui Divers indeed take you to their "shop" and it is just a big sales pitch... We did it once, and will not do it again. Maui Divers take you to the Ala Moana Mall, and also to Waikiki Beach.

Pia,

Meredith, I hope your hip replay is going good. Jeff and I sure miss the Phantoms and look forward to a reunion soon.

Ed

Hi Ed! My hip is healing well. Thank you! We miss you guys too. We just booked the Calif. Coastal on the Sapphire and I thought you two could hop on the ship, but then I noticed you will be on the Ocean at that time. How about the Royal Med. Sept. 27? Hi to Jeff! :)

Our DO IT YOURSELF day in Kauai.

Since I was so exasperated with the internet this morning, I didn’t eat anything but a small piece of cheese and then ran down to the manager with another complaint. When I did log on, it shut me down. And then when I tried to log out, it wouldn’t let me. Then I shut down the computer, waited 5 minutes and tried again. Guess what. It never shut off even when the computer was off. It just kept eating minutes. 16 of them. Yes, he did give me back 10, and said that’s it. He won’t refund any more if it happens again. I am now taking him off my “good” list, where I had placed him yesterday. Don’t you hate when that happens?

We got off the ship about 9:30 and grabbed the Kmart shuttle. Kmart shuttle also gets you to Costco and a shopping center with Sears, Macy’s and many other familiar mall stores. There’s a Long’s drugstore too. Oh yes; McDonald’s and Starbucks, but neither got us today. After giving Kmart, Macy’s and Long’s some business, we shuttled back to the ship to grab something at the IC. We then left again and this time took the Hilo Hattie shuttle. For those who are interested, if you need to go to Walmart, just walk out the back of Hilo Hattie’s parking lot and about a football field to your left is Walmart. You will still need to walk back to Hattie’s to get the shuttle to the ship. We didn’t need Walmart today so skipped it. On the way back we decided to go out again because Mike wanted to go to the ABC store. That was another shuttle. I mentioned it to the van driver and he very nicely dropped us there on the way back. Definitely worth a tip. This was a fun day to do nothing. Back on the ship for shower and wine time and tonight we’re going to have our winning dinner at the Crown Grill.

Note: we never attended the Maui Divers spiel. Went inside and took the next elevator down. Nobody noticed. I am so sneaky. :D See you tomorrow.

LOL, Crime and killing aside, watching Hawaii-Five-0, (which I love) is one of the reasons that hubby and I have booked a Hawaiian cruise in January of 2014! We can't wait to see some of the places that we have seen in the show! And, despite the crime in the show, hubby and I believe that Hawaii's streets are no more unsafe than any other larger cities in the world! Hell we are even going to give the mean streets of Cartegena, Columbia a stroll in just two weeks!

So, keep your offerings coming, Pia! We love to hear everything about your cruise!

Kimm

There were a couple of years of 24 that were set here in the San Fernando Valley (the production studio they use is apparently within ten miles of here) so it was interesting to see familiar sites being attacked or planes landing on the freeway we use a lot, etc. We were actually in the mall when they were about to shot some gassing scenes, but we left, thinking it was just a commercial being shot. They also used names of actual streets, but intersections mentioned were really parallel streets, and the route Jack Bauer took to the Van Nuys freeway doesn't go all the way through to the airport from where he started.

When we were here for the first time over 20 years ago, we were on a tour where a helicopter ride over the Na Pali Coast was included. Mike was going to go with me or without me, so I agreed to do it. And hated every minute of it. I basically kept my eyes closed and only peeked intermittently. There is no way you could get me to do this again. We have no plans today, so may pay Hilo Hattie a visit or perhaps the coconut market place. I don’t remember there being a Walmart here, but I could have forgotten.

Was on a tour the first time in Hawaii and a helicopter tour over Kauai was included. Bad weather changed it to a copter tour over Maui. That one time was enough for me. But I don't care for flights of any kind.

The last time we were in Kauai, two years ago, hubby and the girl discovered an Internet cafe in the same shopping center as the ABC store. I think it was about $6 or so for 15 minutes so the girl checked Facebook and then gave up the computer to me so I can check my email.

As explained by the FCC on the Star last week, the main reason is peoples credit card expiration dates making the four years a logistical hassle.

I am sorry that doesn't make sense. How many people use the FCC before they pay for it? I would guess not many. My DW and I decided not buy a new FCC on our upcoming cruise. We know we won't be using it in two years. I wonder how many people have same feeling. Since we won't have FCC, we can look at other cruise lines.

I am sorry that doesn't make sense. How many people use the FCC before they pay for it? I would guess not many. My DW and I decided not buy a new FCC on our upcoming cruise. We know we won't be using it in two years. I wonder how many people have same feeling. Since we won't have FCC, we can look at other cruise lines.

I have read that the two year expiration can be extended with a simple contact with Princess, before the end of the two years. I will be checking with an actual Princess future cruise rep before making any hasty decisions.

Archived