Elite Question RE: Nightly cocktails

Catalina56

Whilst I appreciate additional tips are at the passengers discretion, what is the benchmark, $10, $20 per night, or is $2-$3 per drink?

Just curious, as I'm cruising as elite for the first time next month.

I know this could open a bag of worms about what is acceptable or not - let's just hope it doesn't head that way

Please refer to #22.

I tip $1.00 per drink when the Elite Hour is held in a larger venue where I might have different servers each night. I generally tip the last night when the Happy Hour is held in Michael's Club where I'm in contact with each server. Also important to remember the Snack Servers who are among the least compensated members of the crew. Ultimately, it's up to each individual to do what they believe is correct.

Sorry to be a bore, but I still have not understood the system in full: During Elite Cocktail hour we usually have several waiters walking around, asking for our choices and serving us, plus there are 2-3 waiters offering snacks and canapés. Am I really supposed to tip all of these 5-6 waiters who serve us every day :eek: - I usually only tip once for the first drink ( 5$ or 5 €) hoping this money goes into the tip pool for all those who work for us during these two hours.At the end of the cruise I tend to give another tip if the service was really excellent.

So - please enlighten one of those coming from a nation with different tipping experiences: will the waiters share this bigger tip or won't they?

Thank you for your answer.

grayjay -- usually we have found that one waiter, or perhaps two, stays nearby where we are generally seating -- yes, there are five or six assigned to the Sky Observation Lounge, but it seems like they do tend to stick to certain areas of the Lounge -- if you get to know one, and that person knows what you like to drink, giving that one server a gratuity is just fine. On those cruises where there are fewer Elites, and the cocktail hour is held in Michael's Club, generally one person serves and again, you get to know that server and vice versa.

As far as I know, the tips given at the Elite cocktail hour do not go into a pool and are not shared.

I, very discreetly, tip every other night, starting on the first night, a 5 dollar bill, tucked in my palm, and properly given to the bartender, with a handshake and a look directly into his eyes.

I must say..........whether I tip or not, the drinks and service would be good. I'm also saying that I tip because I want to, and that is my perogative........that I may be served on the second night, with my favorite martini, before others have had a chance to order.:)

There is no hard and fast rule......I just feel fortunate enough to be able to cruise, and we do what I was taught from the old school, and that may not be what people are being taught today.

Rick

Hi- I am a new elite member. Just want to know about the dress code during the happy hour. I have post in past but would like more opinions. I will be on the Summit with many southern car. ports- back on boat at 430. I probably wont be ready for dinner at 5-7. So- I know bathing suits/wear is out. Are most people at the happy hour in their dinner wear or just changed into casual wear then change afterwards for dinner wear. I guess I know what to do about tipping- worried about dress code:)

The dress code is never less than "smart casual" .... No shorts, flip-flops, t-shirts, beachwear. On formal nights it is not unusual to see men who have late seating in a pair of slacks and a collared shirt, women in simples dresses or slacks, enjoying a drink prior to going back to their staterooms to change into formalwear. You won't be the only one who isn't all dressed up yet.

Dress code seems to be up to the Captain's Club hostess. The first night the women in our group showed up in summer dresses and sandals. NOT flip flops and NOT those walking sandals (sporty things), but dressy sandals. We were told "no open shoes, no sandals". REALLY? My "sandals" had heels. She said no... we had to change our shoes before we would be admitted. I said, okay... but the only closed shoes I brought were my running sneakers. They were going to look weird with my dress, but ok. She let us in. My brother, however, had to change out of his dress pant style shorts. That I get... but I was really surprised that she seemed to think women should only wear pumps (closed toe she said) shoes to this event. LOL

Dress code seems to be up to the Captain's Club hostess. The first night the women in our group showed up in summer dresses and sandals. NOT flip flops and NOT those walking sandals (sporty things), but dressy sandals. We were told "no open shoes, no sandals". REALLY? My "sandals" had heels. She said no... we had to change our shoes before we would be admitted. I said, okay... but the only closed shoes I brought were my running sneakers. They were going to look weird with my dress, but ok. She let us in. My brother, however, had to change out of his dress pant style shorts. That I get... but I was really surprised that she seemed to think women should only wear pumps (closed toe she said) shoes to this event. LOL

No sandals?:confused::eek:.....which ship was this and who was the CC hostess?

If they tell me that then I won't be admitted because on a Caribbean

cruise I don't usually bring "closed shoes":rolleyes:......that sounds totally ridiculous

(in my opinion). I bring a pair of mocs but my sandals are nicer than my moccosins.....

I always wear my black dressy sandals (open toe, heel strap, not flip flops) with my evening clothes. In fact, I don't even own any closed in dress shoes. I will be turned away for this? Someone else said you can't wear capris at night either.:eek: I have worn capris (not real short ones) with nice tops many evenings on other cruiselines. Maybe I've been away from Celebrity too long........we board the Solstice in a week and I'm pretty much packed. What to do, what to do?:confused:

I always wear my black dressy sandals (open toe, heel strap, not flip flops) with my evening clothes. In fact, I don't even own any closed in dress shoes. I will be turned away for this? Someone else said you can't wear capris at night either.:eek: I have worn capris (not real short ones) with nice tops many evenings on other cruiselines. Maybe I've been away from Celebrity too long........we board the Solstice in a week and I'm pretty much packed. What to do, what to do?:confused:

I am not changing how I normally pack..what to do? I think that particular

CC hostess was (in my opinion) not correct.....I sail with Celebrity 2 to

3 times a year and have never been told I need "closed shoes" in order

to stop in for a drink at the Elite Cocktail hour.

Agree -- that seems to be a "one-off" happening. Have always worn open-toed shoes, including some very dressy black ones on formal nights. It's never been a problem.

As to capris, they have never been a problem either. I don't recall seeing any post about capris at the Elite Cocktail hour, but I wouldn't worry -- they are definitely NOT shorts and have always been allowed, to my knowledge.

I am not changing how I normally pack..what to do? I think that particular

CC hostess was (in my opinion) not correct.....I sail with Celebrity 2 to

3 times a year and have never been told I need "closed shoes" in order

to stop in for a drink at the Elite Cocktail hour.

Same here Lois, and I have also worn capris (not beach wear, dressy type) with no problem....Caribbean, Europe and Asia:)

Sue

Please tell us what ship and what CC host said this.Totally ridiculous about the shoes.

It was February, 2011 on the Solstice. I don't remember her name. She DID listen to me, though, when I explained that none of us (4 women) brought closed toe dress shoes on a warm weather cruise... and that I doubted any other women onboard did, either. I think she was new and this WAS the first elite cocktail gathering of that cruise. Later on I know I wore capris without an issue. And the sandals were never an issue again. I still don't, and won't, bring closed toe shoes for this event! So no one should be concerned.... I just wanted to point out that the hostess seems to be the one who determines what is and is not accepted as far as the dress code goes. Also, that cruise we had to have our passkey card to enter the event... even though she knew us by name, she had to see all six of our cards every single time.

It was February, 2011 on the Solstice. I don't remember her name. She DID listen to me, though, when I explained that none of us (4 women) brought closed toe dress shoes on a warm weather cruise... and that I doubted any other women onboard did, either. I think she was new and this WAS the first elite cocktail gathering of that cruise. Later on I know I wore capris without an issue. And the sandals were never an issue again. I still don't, and won't, bring closed toe shoes for this event! So no one should be concerned.... I just wanted to point out that the hostess seems to be the one who determines what is and is not accepted as far as the dress code goes. Also, that cruise we had to have our passkey card to enter the event... even though she knew us by name, she had to see all six of our cards every single time.

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe someone who sailed with you

would recall her name. She must have been new for sure.....sandals

are my footwear of choice when sailing to the Caribbean:D

grayjay -- usually we have found that one waiter, or perhaps two, stays nearby where we are generally seating -- yes, there are five or six assigned to the Sky Observation Lounge, but it seems like they do tend to stick to certain areas of the Lounge -- if you get to know one, and that person knows what you like to drink, giving that one server a gratuity is just fine. On those cruises where there are fewer Elites, and the cocktail hour is held in Michael's Club, generally one person serves and again, you get to know that server and vice versa.

As far as I know, the tips given at the Elite cocktail hour do not go into a pool and are not shared.

Thank you so much - that helps a lot and adds another snippet to my knowledge of the tipping culture! ;)

I wear capris at night with a nice top and dressy sandals. I don't own closed shoes, unless you count sneakers. I have worn dressy jeans in the elite lounge too. NO ONE has ever said a word about my clothes. Don't get the impression that my clothes are sloppy or anything, they are very nice, all from Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, and can hold their own against any, but if a Celebrity employee told me to leave and change clothes, I would be very unhappy.

Archived