Elite Question RE: Nightly cocktails

Catalina56

Hi,

Just returned from Panama Canal 15 day sailing on the Millennium. This was my first cruise as "Elite". I went to the Elite nightly cocktail party in Cosmos. I tipped my server after each drink. However, I noticed only one other person that was tipping. On the final night I thought perhaps that people waited until the end of the cruise to leave a gratuity. Only a handful of people gave a tip. Majority of the passengers did not.

What is the proper ettiquette regarding tipping when you are drinking these "free drinks"

Thanks for your input.

Catalina56

Hi,

Just returned from Panama Canal 15 day sailing on the Millennium. This was my first cruise as "Elite". I went to the Elite nightly cocktail party in Cosmos. I tipped my server after each drink. However, I noticed only one other person that was tipping. On the final night I thought perhaps that people waited until the end of the cruise to leave a gratuity. Only a handful of people gave a tip. Majority of the passengers did not.

What is the proper ettiquette regarding tipping when you are drinking these "free drinks"

Thanks for your input.

Catalina56

I don't know what others do but we have always tipped on the first night $5 to $10 to our server/servers. Then every other night or so do the same through out the cruise. Some people wait til the end but we find that sometimes the wait staff changes so we like to give through the cruise.

Some people are pretty discrete in giving tips -- you would hardly notice it being done

Some people tip at the end of the cruise, or catch the server on their way out the door, or tip at the beginning of the cruise so you would never see any of those tips being given

Some people don't give a tip at all

It's not required, but always appreciated.

I don't think there's any possible way that you would know if someone tipped or not. Some tip with each drink, some tip a couple of times throughout the cruise in larger denominations, some tip at the end of the cruise and some don't tip at all. When I tip, I doubt than anyone else would see it, and I probably tip more than most.

A childhood memory just came back to me -- my father teaching the kids how to fold a bill tightly in order to "palm" a tip -- that, and how to shake hands firmly and look someone in the eye while doing so -- I doubt if you would ever have seen my brother tip someone, as he was the best in the family at that task!

We are on the Centruy right now. Last year we tipped per drink and had pretty much the same three servers for the whole trip and we gave each of them some additional tip at the end. The service was terrific.

This year tipping at the end would be impossible, we've had at least a dozen different servers. We prefer the same servers, the ones last year knew our preferences and never missed offering us last call. No complaining, it's still great :D

I don't think there's any possible way that you would know if someone tipped or not. Some tip with each drink, some tip a couple of times throughout the cruise in larger denominations, some tip at the end of the cruise and some don't tip at all. When I tip, I doubt than anyone else would see it, and I probably tip more than most.
Totally agree with this, no one would know when we tip.

I , as a European would never tip during the FREE cocktail parties like Elite and Captains Club repeat passenger party. It just never crossed my mind even to be honest...It is not free then anymore is it if you have to pay a couple of Dollar each round?

We pay our gratuities when reserving our cruise. We absolutely dislike giving tips here and there. for outstanding service, we do give extra. The daily amount of tips is sufficient and caters for the service onboard.

This is a typical Continenal European view on tipping.

But please do know that we are aware that the gatuities are in effect the salary of the staff. we treat all staff very well, but tipping is not the only way of appreciating crew.

A childhood memory just came back to me -- my father teaching the kids how to fold a bill tightly in order to "palm" a tip -- that, and how to shake hands firmly and look someone in the eye while doing so -- I doubt if you would ever have seen my brother tip someone, as he was the best in the family at that task!

This is how DH usually tips. We tip each night, as we can have different servers and want to be sure to show our appreciation for the service we are getting. We don't tip every time we might get a drink. We usually have a glass of wine, or sometimes a coke. Ocassionally, I will get a cosmo.

Tipping during the nightly Elite Happy Hour is not required. I understand that the servers are paid $10 by Celebrity for the 2-hour gig.

It has been my experience that when I tip the server $5 for our first round of drinks, I never have a problem getting a drink the remainder of the evening. The server even makes sure we get last call.

I've seen people near the end of the evening chasing down a server to get a drink. It's a small price to pay for a couple of free cosmos and 5-6 Heinekens, and the servers appreciate it.

No worries -- as I said above, in this venue tips are not required, always appreciated -- but just as important to the servers are good words written on the "Attention to Detail" cards which you can get from Guest Relations. A mention on these cards can lead to extra time off for these hardworking men and women, and even to promotions. So there are ways to take care of them and give them your gratitude without monetary remuneration! A positive mention to their supervisor is always meaningful.

We just returned from the Sumitt. We tip the first night. We usually pick out a server we like. After the first night, he has our drinks waiting on our table. We sat there every night with another couple we were traveling with. We took turn tipping him and both tipped on the last night. He quickly palmed the money and was very appreciative. We also got great service. We also tipped one of the servers that served the appetizers. She went overboard making sure everyone got what they wanted.

We just returned from the Sumitt. We tip the first night. We usually pick out a server we like. After the first night, he has our drinks waiting on our table. We sat there every night with another couple we were traveling with. We took turn tipping him and both tipped on the last night. He quickly palmed the money and was very appreciative. We also got great service. We also tipped one of the servers that served the appetizers. She went overboard making sure everyone got what they wanted.

is uncle b the one on solstice in 2009 when the elite morning event was in michaels? married to sandra? we are ad and j from va. we will be on the eclipse 12/15-12/29. only cruise this year.

You don't have a table! They don't reserve tables although the waiters do put drinks down on tables. I can assure you that if there aren't any other tables and you aren't there when we get there, your drinks may stay, but we and or others may be be sitting at the table.....it is not your table unless you are there. This is similar to the chair hog discussions.

If you have a problem with this and if you think for some reason that you have an assigned table (by the waiter), I suggest you speak with the captain's club host/hostess to understand their policies.

Even as a European ;);) I tip the waiters/waitresses during the Elite

cocktail hour and we always had great service. I am, however, a bit unsure whether the money I give goes into the waiters' pool for that day - then all those who have served us will get their share or does the waiter who receives the tip for my first drink keep everything for himself ?

As there are several people handing out drinks as well as the ones walking around with the canapés I'd feel happy with the idea that my tip is shared.

And - as I'm not as proficient with handing the money over as some of our American friends are - sometimes I'm quite goggle-eyed how well it's done! - I'd be happy to do it just once per day.

Perhaps one of the more experienced Elite cruisers can enlighten me? Thank you.

We tip at the end. I think it is not compulsory to tip at this event. We tip because it is one of our ways of recognizing good service. Some people seem to tip at the beguinning to ensure that they receive the good service. We rather do not like that approach, it is kind of a bribe in our humble opinion.

We tip at the end. I think it is not compulsory to tip at this event. We tip because it is one of our ways of recognizing good service. Some people seem to tip at the beguinning to ensure that they receive the good service. We rather do not like that approach, it is kind of a bribe in our humble opinion.

Yes, and sometimes the bribe works out well. We sat with folks who only drank VO. He slipped the server a $20, and it was no problem the rest of the cruise. :)

Yes Ad. We are the same Sandra & Billy. I didn't mean to imply that we had a reserved table. We did get there at 5 every night and our drinks were always there. If someone had been sitting there, we would just take our drinks and move to another table. Several other people also had drinks waiting on them every night. No big deal.

We had a wonderful server on Connie last month, by the second day she knew our drinks, and really looked after us, but at 6pm she went of to the restaurant, and later in the evening she would be in one of the bars.

We were never short of drinks, and always seemed to get a couple extra at the end of the session at 7pm. One night at 7pm the host announced we had to be out of the venue by 7.15pm, as there was a private function scheduled. He had been very strict and had not allowed any drinks out of the room. There we all sat, tables loaded with drinks, and many decided to risk taking them out, he got in the lift with several of us who had carried our drinks out, but nothing was said while we were in the lift!

We tipped the young lady $20 on the last night, and another $10 to another server who looked after us after 6pm.

And the Canapes were the best we have had on any ship!

Richard

The short answer is yes, I do tip them but because of good service and not because it is required or looked for.

We just returned from the Summit where we met a waiter (Nelson) we had on a different ship. He took great care of us and I did the same for him. :)

Let's just say we were both happy at the end of the cruise. He got me the best DRY gin martinis. Mmmm.

Whilst I appreciate additional tips are at the passengers discretion, what is the benchmark, $10, $20 per night, or is $2-$3 per drink?

Just curious, as I'm cruising as elite for the first time next month.

I know this could open a bag of worms about what is acceptable or not - let's just hope it doesn't head that way

Archived