We've Had The Best Now Let's Have The Worst . . . .

ticktoneer

This is an easy one, and its awful. On my AOS cruise I decided to check my messages in port. There were numerous messages and texts to call the people who were babysitting my dog. As I was listening to all the messages my phone rang and it was my significant other, who informed me that my beloved dog Moose had died in his sleep that morning. While he was old, he had not been sick and this was a complete shock.

My dogs are not pets, to me they are family and I was devastated. Sorry to post this, but you asked for the worst thing and this was definitely it.

Can u please explain? I have heard others comment on this and wondered why. We sail the liberty in 17 days. We are thinking of doing self disembark

Let me recommend doing self disembarkation, leave all your luggage in the room and walk off when they call you, around 7:30 ish usually. We were on the Liberty last Dec. and avoided all the hassle we were from ship to our car in 20 min. tops, more than likely less.

This is an easy one, and its awful. On my AOS cruise I decided to check my messages in port. There were numerous messages and texts to call the people who were babysitting my dog. As I was listening to all the messages my phone rang and it was my significant other, who informed me that my beloved dog Moose had died in his sleep that morning. While he was old, he had not been sick and this was a complete shock.

My dogs are not pets, to me they are family and I was devastated. Sorry to post this, but you asked for the worst thing and this was definitely it.

I also lost a dog when I was on a cruise with my son. My ex-husband stayed home because he couldn't take the time off work. She was a rescued sausage of a Basset that looked more like a beagle and she was the love of my life. She had diabetes and I always thought she would go due to complications of that. But she suddenly started having trouble breathing and died shortly after he took her to the vet. In the end, it turns out she had widespread cancer and a tumor in her spleen ruptured. What a sad plane ride home.

She did ask the worst. I've had great times, so this may sound like whining, but they did ask. After having a great time snorkeling in Coco Cay we bought our own snorkel gear and hauled it to Belize because we heard how good snorkeling was. The day finally came, we tendered to the pier, lined up with everyone taking our excursion along side dozens of other excursions. We waited, and waited. 45 minutes after everyone else was gone a RC excursions employee came and told us the boat was running late. Another 45 minutes in the hot sun and we were finally told it was canceled. Back to the ship (the tender ride back was very disturbing, but you asked for only one. There you go, my worst cruise story.

I also lost a dog when I was on a cruise with my son. My ex-husband stayed home because he couldn't take the time off work. She was a rescued sausage of a Basset that looked more like a beagle and she was the love of my life. She had diabetes and I always thought she would go due to complications of that. But she suddenly started having trouble breathing and died shortly after he took her to the vet. In the end, it turns out she had widespread cancer and a tumor in her spleen ruptured. What a sad plane ride home.

Moose was also a rescue. The people who babysat him while my son and I cruised felt awful and wanted to have a necropsy done. I was shocked when the necropsy report showed that his passing was likely caused by an aggressive cancerous brain tumor, which was what they deemed 'secondary', meaning he had cancer elsewhere. I had no idea. My previous dog had cancer which I had treated with chemotherapy but I never had any indication that Moose was battling it. And you are correct, what a sad plane ride home.

Perhaps I'm cheating here but I'll try anyway. In 2003 I planned a trip around the world. I had a freighter across the Atlantic, a series of train and ferry connections to Helsinki, trans-Siberian railroad to Beijing, and finally the Crystal Harmony across the Pacific to Vancouver. 2003 was notable for several things, and among them was the SARS epidemic. I was checking out of my Moscow hotel and my final email check and had a message from my TA that due to the massive SARS panic, my cruise had been cancelled. Here I was on my way to ground zero of the SARS epidemic and no way to get out. Not a pleasant feeling.

There was a happy ending. After flying home, I returned to Beijing a year later and completed the journey, although in 2 stages.

Roy

Some racist $#@% repeatedly accosted us on the ship at different times asking us - more like telling us---that we were in a suite because (1) family member worked on the ship? (2) We sold drugs? (3) We work on another ship ? One of the stops was St Thomas and he again inquired if we had a drug connection on the island. He was just so concerned about us, I guess we made his cruise.

Just recently on Oasis another couple we met stated that on embarkation another couple came into their suite cabin and asked them "when will the room be ready." They said they told them they should go to guest services with their inquiry. The other couple had the wrong room and floor.

Let me recommend doing self disembarkation, leave all your luggage in the room and walk off when they call you, around 7:30 ish usually. We were on the Liberty last Dec. and avoided all the hassle we were from ship to our car in 20 min. tops, more than likely less.

that might be ok for a short 3 or 5 night cruise. 7 nights or more we have too much luggage to try to drag it behind us just to get off the ship 20 or 30 minutes sooner. what's your hurry?? you are still on vacation. we love to watch these folks struggling down the stairs or cramming into the elevators with their luggage in tow. it is like a monkey making love to a football...

We've been very lucky over the course of all our cruises, so our "worst" isn't really that bad, more of an inconvenience. We had gone to Portofino the last night of the cruise and service was so slow that it took just shy of 4 hours (for four of us). We felt that we lost the entire night. We don't do specialty dining on the last night any more.

On the Carnival Destiny 2 years ago. While swimming on Cabbage Beach in Nassau I got hit by a wave that threw me up in the air and slammed me into the sand. Broke my left collar bone, broke at least one rib and completely tore my right MCL. Took a long time to get over that trio of injuries let me tell you.

During all the cruises you've been on what is the 1 worst thing you've experienced and why ?

(Don't cheat - just 1 thing)

A fun and interesting thread !!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Norovirus, don't need to tell you why~however, to every bad you can usually find some good. (not always~so sorry about the dog stories) We fell ill after supper on the first formal night, after dropping a few pounds from the virus, we looked SO much better in our formal dresses the second formal night. :D

Debark on LOTS

Can u please explain? I have heard others comment on this and wondered why. We sail the liberty in 17 days. We are thinking of doing self disembark

Self disembark from a ship the size of Liberty, and from a short itinerary where more people use self disembark were the elements of a perfect storm. We did self disembark last February from LOS and it was a nightmare. It was a 4 night cruise and it seemed half the ship was using self disembark. Just trying to get down to the gangway was chaos, and then the line, from ship to cutoms, was about an hour wait.

Liberty, on short cruises, really needs to use Terminal 18 (Oasis Terminal) if they disembark on a day it is open.

Moose was also a rescue. The people who babysat him while my son and I cruised felt awful and wanted to have a necropsy done. I was shocked when the necropsy report showed that his passing was likely caused by an aggressive cancerous brain tumor, which was what they deemed 'secondary', meaning he had cancer elsewhere. I had no idea. My previous dog had cancer which I had treated with chemotherapy but I never had any indication that Moose was battling it. And you are correct, what a sad plane ride home.

I'm so sorry. we got the news of our little Heidi passing, the day we were coming home from a cruise. Horrible, horrible

Our first cruise we were on the tender to take us back to the ship. We were on the tender for a good hour as we watched in horror as the cruise ship left us. Apparently they decided the water was too rough to safely tender us back, so we and about 50 others were left in Mexico with the cruise director who spoke no Spanish and was dressed like a pirate. Spent the entire next day on a bus to get to some area where we took another tender that took us to Cozumel to meet our ship. Our tender almost capsized on the way and most everyone was throwing up...but we made it!

Crossing the Drake Passage, the ship was listing at a VERY scary degree and that, along with the previous 4 hours of door and drawers opening and banging, made me leap back into bed and tuck all the bed covers under the mattress in the hopes that they might slow my being thrown from the bed. I was never thrown out of bed but I had to really hang on and brace myself a few times.

Despite the rocking and rolling, I became violently ill only when heading back to my cabin after a light breakfast and just missed expelling on my room steward's shoes en route to my bathroom. Took some OTC anti-nausea medicine and slept for a few hours and felt fine thereafter despite some waves that were still pretty bad but NOTHING like the night before.

Our first cruise we were on the tender to take us back to the ship. We were on the tender for a good hour as we watched in horror as the cruise ship left us. Apparently they decided the water was too rough to safely tender us back, so we and about 50 others were left in Mexico with the cruise director who spoke no Spanish and was dressed like a pirate. Spent the entire next day on a bus to get to some area where we took another tender that took us to Cozumel to meet our ship. Our tender almost capsized on the way and most everyone was throwing up...but we made it!

You win. You said your "first cruise". I am glad to see that this didn't stop you from never cruising again.

Archived