Tipping The Bartender In Cash.

Kangapong

Although the gratuity is added to our drink receipt, recently while on another cruise line, we would tip an additional dollar or two in cash always to the same bartender. Near the end of the cruise we were given free drinks, very strong pours, and really never had to wait for service.

Have any Carnival cruisers had success in getting free drinks, or strong pours by tipping a dollar or two in cash or should we just save the money?

I am not a big drinker so don't order too many drinks and certainly don't care how strong they are...however at the past guest parties I always order 'specialty' drinks (those typically NOT on the circulating tray) and have found that when I give a cash tip the drinks arrive quickly and are replenished as required :D

Although the gratuity is added to our drink receipt, recently while on another cruise line, we would tip an additional dollar or two in cash always to the same bartender. Near the end of the cruise we were given free drinks, very strong pours, and really never had to wait for service.

Have any Carnival cruisers had success in getting free drinks, or strong pours by tipping a dollar or two in cash or should we just save the money?

We have never gotten anything for free. We typically find a bartender we like and tip them cash. That person tends to "search" us out and take great care of us. Its nice having the same person most of the time.

I am a bartender and I have been doing this for years.It works great doesnt it :)

If you like a strong drink its really worth it.I like to walk up and my bartenders making my drink before I order one.

Never had to do that on my cruises.. I just make friends with the bartender.. and am always at their bar.. strong pours and free drinks come with that...If I am nice enough I don't think I need to pay for it... JMPO They get it at the end of the cruise;)

While we have not gotten very many free drinks, a dollar or two given to a bartender or lido deck runner works wonders. We always find a bartender that we like and tip a little extra and we get great service. You do not have to tip to get good service but a small extra tip will get you super service. We are platium on Carnival but have also sailed on RCCL and Princess and this applies to all of these lines.

A Flame (This thread is needs one:))

Extra strong or free drinks can be problematic for all involved. Wonder how many are against smuggling b/c it hurts the bottom line but think nothing of getting free pours from the bartender. At this point it is stealing and the bartender could lose their job.

I'm sure Carnival knows how many pours and waste there is in their bottles. I know that the sales tax agencies have it all figured out.

Sadie, I agree. Nothing is "free" in a well-run, successful business. Since the bartender is dispensing his employer's inventory, I am guessing Carnival is well aware of the practice, considers that it creates good will and encourages more sales, and so they build the cost into the drink prices. Any bartender who carried it too far (to the point of affecting profitability) would probably be corrected.

Sadie, I agree. Nothing is "free" in a well-run, successful business. Since the bartender is dispensing his employer's inventory, I am guessing Carnival is well aware of the practice, considers that it creates good will and encourages more sales, and so they build the cost into the drink prices. Any bartender who carried it too far (to the point of affecting profitability) would probably be corrected.

Not only that but if the business was so concerned their are many pourers that dispense only one exact shot to prevent over pouring.

Our drinks have ALWAYS been strong...much stronger than drinks on land! We don't "pre-tip" or tip additionally, unless we order something really difficult...and that's rare! If we frequent on particular bartender throughout the week, we will extend a cash tip on the last night.

I think 15% is ample for popping the top on a beer or a simple mixed drink!

We always bring lots of ones with us and tip extra at the bars. Part of our heritage-I used to be a waitress and my husband was a bartender so we always tip extra-land and sea!!

Pat

Service people almost always great tippers. I tip also but mainly just enjoy it. Means alot to the crew.

On my last Carnival cruise, I went to the Atrium bar, as is my usual habit before dinner, and went every evening for a gin and tonic before dinner, and sometimes I had a second:eek:! Always same bartender, sweet guy from Thailand. I never did tip extra in cash, but as I went there everyday before dinner, I found by the third night my drinks were coming in a bigger glass! It was obviously a double, yet I was only charged for a single! I always bring my own envelopes for last evening, for extra tipping to those who rendered over and above the daily recommended tips. Needless to say, he got an envelope that last evening from me with an expression of my gratitude:D

Yes, we have always done the same and, yes, we have.:D

Unless someone can prove me wrong I am assuming that all "signed for tips" are pooled and distributed on a set schedule. That is how it works on land since people don't usually tip the busboy or the maitre d. I would think that bar tips are just like the gratuities that show up on our S&S card. Now, cash, on the otherhand is usually a completely different story. And, like others have said, Carnival totally realizes that "service with a smile" can keep pax spending money and I am sure that strong pours and free drinks are all part of the business plan. Even though the cruise line charges set tips (which I always pay) I always get on board with a couple of books of $1 bills (just ask your bank). Exemplary service should be rewarded...and I still tip my steward, or my dining room wait staff the last night with some added cash. Even though I have never worked for tips I imagine it is money happily received and a nice addition for many cruise workers who are supporting a family.

Archived