Flying Into FLL On Day of Departure - Oasis

My husband and I will be sailing on Oasis of the Seas (first time...yay!) on March 2, 2013. In the past we have always flown into the port city at least one day before we set sail. However, that simply will not be possible for us on this trip. Will a flight arrival time of 11:42am into FLL be a problem?

This sort of thing makes me so nervous as we are flying out of Minneapolis and God only knows what the weather could be doing that morning :eek:

My husband and I will be sailing on Oasis of the Seas (first time...yay!) on March 2, 2013. In the past we have always flown into the port city at least one day before we set sail. However, that simply will not be possible for us on this trip. Will a flight arrival time of 11:42am into FLL be a problem?

This sort of thing makes me so nervous as we are flying out of Minneapolis and God only knows what the weather could be doing that morning :eek:

Assuming your plane arrives, you'll have an easy trip to the port. FWIW, I never would attempt what you're going to do, but, I do wish you luck and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Personally I would never do it, but the airport is literally 10 minutes from the port. Ship leave at 5 or 4:30, so any delays in your flight could be a problem.

In reading your post, it is clear to me that you are already aware of all the potential problems you could encounter. That said, if your flight is able to take off on time, and all the stars align, you will arrive in FLL with plenty of time to taxi over to PE. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the weather and mechanical gods smile down on you, and that your flight and your luggage all make it to FLL in a timely manner.

Personally I would never fly in the day of my cruise. With a 11:42am flight arrival on cruise day I would certainly change that. What if you get a flight delay. You are talking about March. Weather could be an issue.

Arrival 11:42

Luggage pick up 12:15 (if you fly into Ft Lauderdale)

Taxi ride to port with cruise traffic 2:00pm.

Are you ready to spend the first day of your cruise rushing around to get to your vacation.

I would never do that. Just me.

We haven't booked any flights yet. As I said, we have never flown in on the day of departure before and I am just trying to get an idea if anyone thinks it's do-able. So far, it seems like you all think it's a rather bad idea...

I would only attempt it if it were a direct flight. We just flew into Fll with a direct flight with supposed arrival time of 12:30. We were delayed about 40 minutes. Captain said he would make up as much time as possible. We arrived 10 minutes late. We had RCI transfers, we arrived at port in plenty of time, but had to wait in a long line at the port.

We haven't booked any flights yet. As I said, we have never flown in on the day of departure before and I am just trying to get an idea if anyone thinks it's do-able. So far, it seems like you all think it's a rather bad idea...

You state that you will not be able to fly in the day before so I would look at red eye, or as early as you can get, direct. Even with a early direct, you are really taking a chance. The airlines are so undependable now. It takes almost nothing for a flight to be cancelled or delayed. Not what you want to hear I am sure. :)

I think you answered your own question when you said "God only knows" because none of us mere mortals here on Cruise Critic can possibly tell you what the actual arrival time will be. ;)

We can only wish you the best of luck.

Since you say it simply will not be possible for you to come in a day early, at least bring along contingency backup plans for catching up with the ship at the next port should it be necessary.

It would also be a good idea to travel with carry-on bags only to eliminate the possibility of checked luggage being delayed or lost.

This would make me very nervous. We usually fly in the day of, but we always make sure we have the first flight out of Newark so that we arrive to FLL around 9am......and then it's off to the port from the airport.

Good luck.

It can certainly be done, and if it has to be, Oasis and this terminal is an easy one to get to in a hurry, but be sure to insure your trip! My cousins flew in at 10 am and we were sipping drinks at the pool deck by 12:30. Some will says never, never, but that's them, not your situation. The greater chance is that everything will be fine, insure against the small chance of problems, and you will have financial peace of mind!

Personally I would never fly in the day of my cruise. With a 11:42am flight arrival on cruise day I would certainly change that. What if you get a flight delay. You are talking about March. Weather could be an issue.

Arrival 11:42

Luggage pick up 12:15 (if you fly into Ft Lauderdale)

Taxi ride to port with cruise traffic 2:00pm.

Are you ready to spend the first day of your cruise rushing around to get to your vacation.

I would never do that. Just me.

Not quite sure where you are getting a ride of over an hour from Fll airport to Port Everglades...I'd say even 30 mins. was a BIG stretch...and that is with waiting for a taxi...

I did it out of necessity on our recent Liberty sailing but we were prepared to pay the change fees and change our plans if it looked like weather was going to be an issue.

If you absolutely must do it, I would look into RC's Choice Air program to see if there if there is any additional assurances/insurance made should you book through them.

We have always flown in the day of our cruises except for Alaska. We do, however, book very early flights so we are usually in FLL by 9:00. We have never had a problem; I would be nervous about arriving that late, but it is feasible. We've known people who've come in later with no problems.

First off, you already know weather can/could/will be a factor. So, if you can't leave the day before then definitely look at a red-eye. Taking the first flight out in the morning is wise, but more often then not, the plane for that flight came in the night before so if that plane didn't come in that morning flight isn't leaving. If it arrived late, and it's the same crew then it won't leave on time. You didn't mention if the whole day before wasn't an option this time or parts or it, a non-stop the night before is the best ideal, if you can do it.

You'll absolutely have no trouble making it to the Oasis if you arrive on time and still enjoy a fair part of the afternoon before sail-away. That has to be the best pier to leave from.

Enjoy the Oasis and your cruise - wish I was sailing soon :(. I'm tired of winter and the cold already:D. Can't wait until Dec and I sail on her again.:)

We always fly in a day or 2 before. One time we flew in the evening before and didn't get our bags.:mad: They arrived the next morning around 10 am. If that had happened on a "day of" flight we would have been sailing with out luggage!:eek:

So may things can go wrong and cause delays. I wouldn't chance it.

back in 2002, we were booked on a 6am flight from boston for a direct, nonstop flight to miami for a cruise on day of departure, which would have put us in miami a little after 9am.

the plane had mechanical issues, and we didn't leave Boston until sometime after 10am, thus arriving in Miami a little after 1pm.

I was so stressed the entire time we sat on the tarmac while they repaired the plane, worried if we would make it to the pier in time to check in with the onboard requirements (60 or 90 minutes before actual sailing time now?).

We did make it, but since then, we've always flown in at least the day before to enjoy the ship starting at noon.

Your flights can be do-able, but sometimes things just happen beyond your control that make you switch to plan b.

Good luck with your cruise

you are going to attempt something I would never do either, and I am from Canada so i know what crazy weather can be like,. Sure you might not have a problem, but so many little things can happen. Wish you good luck on your flights :)

This is the first flight out in the morning and it is direct. With the time difference (FLL being an hour later than MSP), there is no way to arrive any earlier. It looks like the only other option would be a red eye leaving at 1:15am and arriving at 5:45am. I'm not sure what we would do from 5:45am until it's time to board...on no sleep. Hmmm...

I would 100% rather have to find something to do for four hours then miss the ship! Seriously, how incredibly stressed are you going to be if you fly in the same day. If your flight arrives around 6AM, get your bags and take a cab to the closest Denny's and have a leisurely breakfast. You can probably plan to arrive at the port around 10:30AM and get to be one of the first ones on board! As for the lack of sleep, just try to grab a few hours on the plane!

Archived