Century Dry-Dock..Straight from the "horse's mouth"! :)

LuAnn

The below Cruise Critic news article was previously posted, it has Century going in for extensive rehab in Feb. of 2014. They do quote an unnamed source from the cruiseline in the article. Since they still have these cruises in Feb. scheduled it appears one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5246

Hi Don:)...yes, that one is the most recent...from last month.

Maybe they will give an updated release?.....

The feb 4 , 2014 century cruise from FLL to Los Angeles is "on hold". We believe the dry dock will start then in Nassau. However we have No --repeat NO -- formal notice of the status of our non-cruise. No contact from Celebrity at all.

Celebrity really needs to tell us what's going on. We're on the Feb 4 Westbound Panama Canal, and have been waiting for what seems like 2 months. Our TA said she's seen the posts on CC but can't do anything until Celebrity officially notifies her. I hope it's soon!

Have never sailed Century before....can anyone tell me what the Crystal Room is on this ship and what it is used for?

Some one mentioned this area would be used for AQ class cabins....

On my voyage it was used for Captain's Club Receptions and shows at night. I doubt if it would be missed

On our three Century cruises it was used for the Elite party in the early evening, then karaoke, theme parties and things like that. It is also a music and dancing venue.

During the day, there were things like ukela lessons and bingo.

I can't imagine losing it, there isn't another similar area aboard. We think it would be sorely missed. :)

Similar to Hemisphere? In all my times on CENTURY, I never thought

of it that way. But I do recall the other events you mentioned being

held there.

Like I said earlier, if they would come out with an updated

press release? We could maybe find out exactly what will happen

to her.

Similar to Hemisphere? In all my times on CENTURY, I never thought

of it that way. But I do recall the other events you mentioned being

held there.

Like I said earlier, if they would come out with an updated

press release? We could maybe find out exactly what will happen

to her.

It has a bar, dance floor, DJ booth, and seating. Pretty much the same features as the Hemisphere. I didn't think of it that why either until I discussed my first post with DW. Other then the view there isn't any difference in the rooms features, but the view difference is huge!

Not only would the ship be in the worst condition ever, but I've heard stories where the crew actually starts tearing things up, and closing areas off to the public, on those cruises. :eek:

This is indeed the case on all pre-drydock cruises......and post drydock sailings are not any better, with the ship still being a simili construction zone for a few days ,as well as suffering the effect of ''residual '' from ### of days inactive in drydock

Cheers

Suzanne (wwcruisers): We booked Alaska SF RT for September 4, 2014 on the Century. Any chance you would be interested in that cruise? I wanted to tell you hoping we will have a chance to cruise together again.

Kathy

Hi Kathy! Tell the truth, we don't know what we're doing next! We have the eastbound Holiday Panama Canal cruise booked for later this year, but will probably have to cancel that one -- due to family scheduling conflicts. But, just today, we were looking at an 11-night ultimate Alaska (Seattle to Vancouver) on Solstice in Sept. of 2014. I was quite intrigued by the possibility of Solstice actually sailing under Vancouver's Lions Gate Bridge (I was originally told that was structurally impossible). We'd love to sail with you and Jack again. Our Century r/t to Hawaii last year was one of the most memorable cruises we have ever taken! :)

This is indeed the case on all pre-drydock cruises......and post drydock sailings are not any better, with the ship still being a simili construction zone for a few days ,as well as suffering the effect of ''residual '' from ### of days inactive in drydock

Cheers

A few days ? It can be a few cruises.

We were the 3rd cruise after a drydock and there were workers finishing various projects throughout the ship.

The carpeting outside the cabin was installed on our week cruise. It wasn't a problem except for the persistent smell.

It's impressive how much they accomplish in a very limited amount of time during a very few weeks of drydock.

It would be very sad lose the Crystal Room as its one of the most elegant public spaces afloat! There events held there that cannot be accommodated in other spaces, so not sure they would eliminate it. At least I hope not!

Hi,

I agree. I have cruised aboard the Century twice (1997 and 2010) and think this is a beautiful room.

Chuck

we were on this ship pre-refurb in Europe--perfect size for ports..

& also shortly after the last refurb, in the Carib.....less inspiring for outside enjoyment at the pool deck...

even after refurb, we found it quite dated in many areas..but the ship does have it's charm & appeal to many (we always like the Mercury much better)

they re-did some spaces to look modern, including adding a martini bar, but the library was dusty & decrepit, shower area in our cabin was a bit skeevy w/mildew, and I refused to even go into the swim pool--nothing has been updated with that deck ... & there was still the issue of having to go up & then down to get to some areas... The Cova cafe area was still quite lovely...

they had removed the T pool (sadly) and replaced it with a Persian garden and barber shop... The PG was very nice but when we went on bd they were pushing couples appts so never got to experience it first hand...

Hope they can bring it current but adding staterooms will make it more crowded...we now stick to S class....

I would rather see a Silk Harvest or Qsine and Bistro on Five in the Crystal Lounge area along with an open lounge area such as on the Solstice-class ships. But no one from Celebrity has asked me. :rolleyes:

Suzanne: I'll keep you informed of our plans in case we can repeat a cruise together. We're going on the Celebrity Immersive Wine cruise in September 2013 too and then Alaska in September 2014. We have a Caribbean cruise from FL booked too, but not sure if we will cancel or not. We might do a Pacific Coastal cruise in 2015 because we really enjoyed our 11-night 2011 and our recent 4-night Pacific coastal cruises (4-night was part of b2b).

Kathy

the San Francisco to Sydney cruise for Sept '14...it was not showing on the X website....but it did finally "pop up" on X's booking site this last Friday....while we were on board!!!

We have done this cruise once before and loved it!!! And have some friends in OZ that we would hope to see while there!!

Great prices right now...if and when the cruise shows up!!!

Any takers????

the San Francisco to Sydney cruise for Sept '14...it was not showing on the X website....but it did finally "pop up" on X's booking site this last Friday....while we were on board!!!

We have done this cruise once before and loved it!!! And have some friends in OZ that we would hope to see while there!!

Great prices right now...if and when the cruise shows up!!!

Any takers????

It sure is tempting. We are booked on the Alaska cruise that precedes it. The cruise is now posted on the Celebrity site.

Kathy

It would be very sad lose the Crystal Room as its one of the most elegant public spaces afloat! There events held there that cannot be accommodated in other spaces, so not sure they would eliminate it. At least I hope not!

Century has a great space in the Crystal Room, the only room that is private enough for the Elite cocktail hour and near the dining room. Giving up this space for more passengers to crowd the other public spaces would take a lot of pleasure from cruising on the Century.:(

• 2 weeks later...
The celebrity magazine that i received last week had no sailings for Century for February '14. I am anxiously awaiting the ännouncement"as I am scheduled for the PC on the 5th of February.

I am also booked on the 2/4/14 PC canal cruise and CANNOT get ANYTHING from Celebrity what is the status of this cruise! I have been told by the Captain's Club Customer Service Rep that the 2/4/14 cruise is on "Inventory hold" (been that way for almost 3 1/2 months!) BUT the cruise is not going to be cancelled. My travel agent as never seen this attitude of non-information from Celebrity before!

I have written their Corporate Headquarters and emailed their Captain's Club customer service giving my STRONG opinion of this poor handling of my particular cruise, but have not received a response from them.

If anyone out there has any concrete knowledge of what is going on, I (we) we GREATLY appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
I am also booked on the 2/4/14 PC canal cruise and CANNOT get ANYTHING from Celebrity what is the status of this cruise! I have been told by the Captain's Club Customer Service Rep that the 2/4/14 cruise is on "Inventory hold" (been that way for almost 3 1/2 months!) BUT the cruise is not going to be cancelled. My travel agent as never seen this attitude of non-information from Celebrity before!

I have written their Corporate Headquarters and emailed their Captain's Club customer service giving my STRONG opinion of this poor handling of my particular cruise, but have not received a response from them.

If anyone out there has any concrete knowledge of what is going on, I (we) we GREATLY appreciate it!

Today the Celebrity web site shows the following open for booking on the Century:

A 15-Night eastbound cruise on Jan 20 2014, then nothing until a 15-Night "Panama Canal" westbound cruise on March 6th, followed by 7-night "Pacific Coast" cruises starting March 21st. Of course, that could change with delays in the drydock period.

Archived