Gift Bags

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes.

We are on an Alaskan cruise this July with a group of 29. My mom would like to make up gift bags for everyone. So far we have:

- Cruise sweatshirt

- 4-5 snacks (gum, cookies etc)

- headphones to use on the plane

- small pk of Kleenex

- small pk of sea sick pills

- Post-It notes and a pen to use on cabin doors

Does anyone have any other ideas? Whatever we put in has to go as carry-on luggage as we are flying so we can't take any liquids. We also do not want to spend a fortune.

We just thought it would be a fun addition to our fabulous trip. I would appreciate any other ideas.

Thanks!

Perhaps add a pkg of NyQuil or DayQuil caplets. They generally aren't sold on the ship and what's available is pretty expensive for a little pkg. The price onboard is almost as expensive as a full retail box. You could even divide the box in half, putting one card of blister packs in one bag and the second card in another bag. That would spread the cost out.

How about having something "custom" made to commemorate the trip? Maybe a magnet with ship/dates/ ports and can be used in the cabin. Or luggage tag that each can insert their information.

You could also include some spice tea with ginger or ginger tea packet for motion sickness.

Buy a big bottle of Ginger Tablets - put a few in the small "snack" size plastic bags. Use a label maker or just a label and mark what they are.

You can buy a four pack of highlighters at the dollar store and put one highlighter in each bag.

Buy a set of clothes pins and write "Alaska 2013" on them in a colored marker. Put some in each bag. They come in handy for a lot of things.

I always print out a calendar with the cruise info on it.

I just find a calendar online that I can type into.

(I just print one week - or two weeks - not the whole month)

I put in all the ports and times etc. any celebrations

example: Saturday - Sitka - 7 am to 6 pm - Whale Watch at Noon

I laminate it and put it on the back of the door with magnets. Helps you keep up and know what's coming up.

Perhaps add a pkg of NyQuil or DayQuil caplets. They generally aren't sold on the ship and what's available is pretty expensive for a little pkg. The price onboard is almost as expensive as a full retail box. You could even divide the box in half, putting one card of blister packs in one bag and the second card in another bag. That would spread the cost out.

How about having something "custom" made to commemorate the trip? Maybe a magnet with ship/dates/ ports and can be used in the cabin. Or luggage tag that each can insert their information.

You could also include some spice tea with ginger or ginger tea packet for motion sickness.

Oh my......

Don't even think of suggesting they'll all be sick and need 'remedies'. :eek: I can't say I'd be thrilled to be presented, at the start of our cruise, with medications. :D

Maybe put a few extra NyQuil or whatever in your own suitcase you could share if someone in your group gets sick but think twice about putting in gift bags..... IMO

Oh my......

Don't even think of suggesting they'll all be sick and need 'remedies'. :eek: I can't say I'd be thrilled to be presented, at the start of our cruise, with medications. :D

Maybe put a few extra NyQuil or whatever in your own suitcase you could share if someone in your group gets sick but think twice about putting in gift bags..... IMO

I would agree with this reason: one seasick remedy can work for one person, but not the other. Some pills can cause drowsiness (for me, even one's that supposedly don't, might for me). I always recommend to people that ask about remedies is to talk to your doctor if you're on medication (they can check to see what drugs can conflict), try out possible remedies before your trip to see what doesn't give you side affects, and then take a few that work for you along, just in case you need something.

Even ginger could be problematic for some people. But I'll make a trip to someplace like Cost Plus Markets before a cruise to buy up several packages of ginger chews and other forms of ginger (grocery stores will have candied ginger).

So as suggested above, it would be nice of you to pack along a first aid kit of sorts, including sea sickness remedies (the usual OTC types, ginger pills, ginger chews, etc.) as well as decongestant, aloe (for any sun burn, as you can get one in Alaska, believe it or not), bug bite remedy (mosquitoes, etc.), antibacterial cream, etc.

Another thing you might want to skip is the sweat shirts unless you tell people ahead of time to save room in their carryons (if they're like me, every square inch will be stuffed). I would think small, maybe a sample size of sunscreen if allowed in the carry on.

One suggestion I would have is to make up a fact sheet -- put the itinerary on it, emergency numbers on it for the ship and put a space so they can list their cell number, the name of the hotel (hopefully you will be flying in the day before as Alaska can be a no-go if you get to the port late (so many things can delay or cancel your flight) due to the PVSA. You can also put everyone's cabin numbers if you want to (and if everyone agrees).

Suggest some activities for each port (hopefully you folks won't try to be joined at the hip -- if some want to get together for an excursion or an onboard activity, fine, but it's human nature that some people will get miffed if others want "alone time," so that needs to be said upfront.

Email this info to everyone, and that will be something that can be given to a neighbor or family person who will be keeping an eye on their house. There may be some who might not think of that. It's also good to put a copy in luggage, just in case a bag goes missing. Suggest that people put their cell number in their luggage tag, rather than home address.

On this fact sheet, you can also let people know that you'll have extra OTC meds.

Oh my......

I came down with a nasty cold from my excursion in Costa Rica and really wished I had brought my NyQuil and DayQuil caplets from home. Of course the gift shop wanted "an arm and a leg" for a 2-caplet pkg.[/color

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes.

We are on an Alaskan cruise this July with a group of 29. My mom would like to make up gift bags for everyone. So far we have:

- Cruise sweatshirt

- 4-5 snacks (gum, cookies etc)

- headphones to use on the plane

- small pk of Kleenex

- small pk of sea sick pills

- Post-It notes and a pen to use on cabin doors

Does anyone have any other ideas? Whatever we put in has to go as carry-on luggage as we are flying so we can't take any liquids. We also do not want to spend a fortune.

We just thought it would be a fun addition to our fabulous trip. I would appreciate any other ideas.

Thanks!

Just a thought but you might check with your airline and see if they are already providing free headphones. I know for awhile everyone was charging for them but on all of my recent flights they've started giving them out again for free so you wouldn't need to buy those.

I like the idea of the post it notes and someone's suggestion of a highlighter and clothes pins. Those are things people probably wouldn't think to bring themselves that are often on the cruise packing lists of cruise "regulars."

Also, how about a small battery operated "push" light or a tea light to use as a night light in the bathroom so you don't have to turn on that bright light when you get up at night? (Pack the batteries separately or the light is likely to turn on when you pack it in the carryon and use up the batteries).

How about going on-line and finding things of interest for each port-of call? For example, a small map of the port area, things to see and do, etc. and then printing this out to be included in the gift bag.

Everything can be placed flat in a carry-on or checked luggage and then the gift bags can be assemble once in the cabin.

When we have a big group I do up a set of business cards. It lists everyone's cabin (individual names) along with the cabin phone number. They can be used for the group or if you want to hand them out to people you meet on the cruise. So Baja 501 might be extension 8501.

I've also done t-shirts, baseball caps and mugs.... different cruises. We also have a private party. Not sure about other lines, but on Princess if you arrange it in advance you pay a set price and have one hour with bartender and space. Drinks are in that price. Snacks are extra. They block off a section of a public area for your group. That's when everyone wears their t-shirts and we have a blast.

When we did gift bags for our cruise wedding these are some of the things we included (we sailed to Bermuda so some may not apply to your trip!):

- cloth tote bag that could be used for around the ship or excursions

- personalized reusable water bottles (personalized to trip, not to individuals, although that would also be fun)

- playing cards

- baggie with pocket pack tissues, a couple of shout wipes, SPF lip balm, travel size hand sanitizer

- post its or notepad and pen

- $ store umbrellas (this was a last minute thing was rainy the whole week before departure)

- list of guests and room numbers

- itinerary of group events (wedding, dinner 1 night, cocktail part -- otherwise everyone went their own ways or in smaller groups)

- luggage tags (we sent these ahead of time with a thanks for joining us + information letter)

- a few extras for special guests -- i.e. included some onboard credit for maid of honor, and some coloring supplies for 5 year old niece

29 people - that is a large group to be doing gift bags for -- it is a great idea.

Packing them all in a carry-on -- try to keep them light.

As for medications -- not everyone can take the same medications for the same colds, etc.

People should pack their own medications.

Best to let people pack their own o-t-c medicines since some are allergic to certain ones.

Love the idea of the Dollar Store umbrellas and rain coats.

LuLu

~~~~~

Oh my......

Meds would be almost as bad an idea as life jackets when it comes to implied suggestion.

I'm making drawstring bags for my kids for our next cruise. The bags will be their Christmas gift. One of the cheaper/smaller items in the bags are these lanyards. I also printed and laminated some luggage tags that I designed myself. If you have a basic design software you can do the same by printing on business cards or ID badges and inserting them into clear ID badge holders.

Archived