Cruising Etiquette.......is there anything I shouldn't do?

Do not judge someone's physical abilities or handicaps based on their looks. The pax getting on the elevator to go up one deck could have severe physical problems and only able to walk on level surfaces or even a heart condition that cannot take physical stress. Yes, there are a few pax who really do need to use the stairs but do not.

Now my personal pet peeve about the chair pax. I can understand that they need to use the elevator. However I do not feel they should get automatic front of line privileges when they show up at a crowded elevator. It certainly would be nice if the pax waiting offer them the chance to go first but not required. We all need to wait our turns at the elevator if crowded conditions exist.

Personally I use the stairs as I need the exercise to counteract what I do in the MDR/buffet. I may be a member of the silver haired group by several years but I am luckily to be in fairly well kept condition.

Nothing personal, but this comment just drives me crazy and I hear it all the time here on CC. I look normal when standing or walking. Don't use a cane, wheel chair, walker or scooter so how is it that you think I can use the stairs for just one flight? Oh yeah, I already said it, I look normal. My knees don't like stairs at all. I would rather not get them operated on, so if you don't mind I'll be using the elevator to go "just one floor".

Each person knows if he or she needs the elevator, i am not saying everyone who does it is in perfect health, my post is directed at those who know they dont need the elevator and dont opt for the stairs when they are inside the elevator full of people and the door opens and someone is in a wheelchair waiting to use it and cant because it is full. I am one of those who will get out of the elevator so someone in a wheelchair or someone with a cane or an elderly person can get in. Believe it or not.

Maybe we could drop the whole wheelchair elevator debate? This thread was pretty funny but is going downhill fast.

Also, people do not need a reason for not taking the stairs regardless of their fitness level or medical history. It is called freedom people. :)

Now back to the funnies.

Do not judge someone's physical abilities or handicaps based on their looks. The pax getting on the elevator to go up one deck could have severe physical problems and only able to walk on level surfaces or even a heart condition that cannot take physical stress. Yes, there are a few pax who really do need to use the stairs but do not.

Now my personal pet peeve about the chair pax. I can understand that they need to use the elevator. However I do not feel they should get automatic front of line privileges when they show up at a crowded elevator. It certainly would be nice if the pax waiting offer them the chance to go first but not required. We all need to wait our turns at the elevator if crowded conditions exist.

Personally I use the stairs as I need the exercise to counteract what I do in the MDR/buffet. I may be a member of the silver haired group by several years but I am luckily to be in fairly well kept condition.

Are you also against handicap parking spaces? Why not treat everyone the same and do first come first served? I am glad there is still some kindness in this world where those who have difficulties, and i am including anyone who has a disability, not just wheelchair users, are given a helping hand.

It is part of a healthy society, just like giving to the less fortunate. Same concept.

I get it but people love to take the exception and argue it like it's the norm.

I have a cousin who is 34 with congestive heart failure due to being born with Mitral valve prolapse. She cannot get her heart rate up and when she cruises she has to use the elevator. It sucks because she looks like a perfectly healthy young woman but on the inside she struggles. I know that when people look at her they probably judge and that's why I say, I get it. But, still there's just something a little frustrating when people take the exception to the rule and argue it as if it's the norm.

On the other hand, there needs to be more of a live and let live attitude. I don't know why people forget to bring their patience on a cruise when they know there are going to be 2000 to 4000 other people around.

maybe we could drop the whole wheelchair elevator debate? This thread was pretty funny but is going downhill fast.

Also, people do not need a reason for not taking the stairs regardless of their fitness level or medical history. It is called freedom people. :)

now back to the funnies.

amen!

Again, and not to keep arguing or to ruin this funnies post, but if people who really dont need the elevator, who dont have any of the mentioned disabilities, used the stairs more, it would make life on board easier for those who really need the elevators. If an elevator if full or if there are people waiting and i can use the stairs, i will continue to use them. I am possibly helping someone out even if it is in a small way and helping myself at the same time.

Sorry for deviating from the funny posts, but to me its an important point and if i convinced someone to use the stairs if the elevator is not needed, then i am happy.

Happy sailings

Maybe we could drop the whole wheelchair elevator debate? This thread was pretty funny but is going downhill fast.

Now back to the funnies.

Agreed but I have to mention on one cruise two scooters crashed into each other trying to get on the same elevator. Some of those nice old ladies can become not so nice given the right opportunity. :eek:

Agreed but I have to mention on one cruise two scooters crashed into each other trying to get on the same elevator. Some of those nice old ladies can become not so nice given the right opportunity. :eek:

Yes there can be some mean ones, you would think they are trying out for the next fast and furious movie:eek:

:D Funny, Brett!

Hopefully, you've also quit changing the "Privacy Please" to "Please Clean Cabin" ... and that you certainly no longer change the breakfast order & time. Few want prune juice a 5 AM. :D

LuLu

~~~~

Prune juice at 5am? Hysterical! I will never look at the menus the same again. :screwy:

Arleen

Stop worrying about etiquette issues and go enjoy yourself.

I figure if you've managed to make it so far without offending society, you should be Ok on a cruise too. :D

Win! ^^

Obviously everyone has a pet peeve, it seems like most people here have more than one. Just be yourself, have fun and enjoy what you spent your hard earned money on. I am going on the jewel in 2 weeks and I could care less what people think. I am overall a decent human being with a reasonable amount of manners. My kids often act like miniature wild animals and I correct them accordingly, but in all reality they are just being kids. Kids who paid the full fare just like everyone else might I add. They have the same right to have fun as any other paying customer. Most of the comments I have just read are perfectly acceptable, but I do think the points being made by the "fun police" have forgotten how exciting a well deserved vacation can be.

Fart away, but remember, we all know it was you. Lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am glad there is still some kindness in this world where those who have difficulties,.

Luckily, as a paraplegic and fulltime wheelchair bound cruiser myself, I find that most people on board are very nice and helpful.

90% of the able bodied people that use elevators on ships could very well take the stairs for sure. No way do I believe most of them have a "hidden" disability. Sure there are some but they are certainly not the majority that use the elevator.

JMO

Chair hogs are the WORST! Most of them leave me boring books and generic suntan lotion. Please, leave me a good book and quality lotions.

Sometimes they leave really nice sandals, though.

Don't sit down next to us in the WJ with a massive plate of crap food & then complain to us about your type 2 diabetes & how the waiters never bring you hot enough tea when you are sitting 10 feet from the self serve drink counter!

Don't also complain that you have to pay for diet coke because you have to drink it because of your diabetes when water is free.

Don't start every sentence with " I don't normally complain, but..."

Don't sit at the front of the tour bus then at every stop block the aisle to let your very slow moving spouse out into the aisle & hold up everyone else on the bus, if you are slow, that's OK, just don't inconvenience every one else because of it.

Don't complain to the customer relations staff about not getting what you want, when you caused your own problems by failing to read the information they provided to you on day1.

That's all. :D

Don't sit down next to us in the WJ with a massive plate of crap food & then complain to us about your type 2 diabetes & how the waiters never bring you hot enough tea when you are sitting 10 feet from the self serve drink counter!

Don't also complain that you have to pay for diet coke because you have to drink it because of your diabetes when water is free.

Don't start every sentence with " I don't normally complain, but..."

Don't sit at the front of the tour bus then at every stop block the aisle to let your very slow moving spouse out into the aisle & hold up everyone else on the bus, if you are slow, that's OK, just don't inconvenience every one else because of it.

Don't complain to the customer relations staff about not getting what you want, when you caused your own problems by failing to read the information they provided to you on day1.

That's all. :D

Titter ....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Don't get annoyingly drunk.

Don't "reserve" a chair by the pool by placing a towel on it unless you're swimming.

Don't be loud in your cabin or in the hall at night while others may be sleeping.

Again, just common sense rules and have fun ignoring those who are miserable anyway!

Haven't read the entire thread, so don't know if this has been covered.

If you have early/late seating with the same tablemates each evening, and definitely know you won't be at dinner the next evening, let the waiter and your tablemates know. It helps a lot - waiter won't delay taking orders until everyone arrives.

We had a large table one time when our tablemates were often over 15-20 minutes late - after a couple of nights the rest of the table asked the waiter to go ahead without them; otherwise we were all late for our future plans - shows, etc.

It's okay to be a few minutes late - waiting for elevator, bathroom, etc., but try to be on time for dinner each evening.

Chair hogs are the WORST! Most of them leave me boring books and generic suntan lotion. Please, leave me a good book and quality lotions. ;)

Arleen

Don't knock the generic sun products, some of the 'store' brands were found more effective.

Well said. Unless there is some medical reason this can't be done. People in wheelchairs will go around me from now on. Don't care if they have just come around the corner or not.

I thought and wondered about the same question you pose above, I believe the answer I have come to for myself is that I am able to walk up or down the stairs and can do so immediately even if I am carrying two pieces of luggage. It can be done, whereas someone who is wheelchair bound must wait for the elevator, and for that, they may always go in front of me.

When I was in a wheelchair we did not just come around the corner and expect to get right into the elevator. As I stated earlier we waited for at least six elevators because no one had the common courtesy to let us in.

I'm thinking that able-bodied are at an advantage--they take up less room in an elevator, and can hop on and off with greater ease. If a wheel-chair user does not wish to go ahead of others, then they will let you know--but it's nice to be given the choice when getting around is more difficult. Any wheel-chair users want to chime in? Maybe I'm completely off base! It just seems a kindness to extend the courtesy to those less able.

As far as scooters go--my recommendation is that the newbie scooter-user get some operating practice prior to boarding. I saw an elderly woman trying to "control" her husband's scooter for him by holding on to the handles walking by his side, as he went merrily on his way--->running over her toes and bumping into her and others.

Teddie

Haven't read the entire thread, so don't know if this has been covered.

If you have early/late seating with the same tablemates each evening, and definitely know you won't be at dinner the next evening, let the waiter and your tablemates know. It helps a lot - waiter won't delay taking orders until everyone arrives.

On the theme but counter, if you're the mobility-limited people at a shared table, by all means, please DO take the time to arrive a little late. We know you want that chair by the aisle, but it's much easier to get to the seat by the window if you're not already sitting down.

Archived