I was told no vegan accommodations on FOTS....

I e-mailed RC as suggested ahead of time to arrange for vegan dietary options and was told, unconditionally, that I could eat salad/soup or vegetarian options but they do contain dairy. I felt this was a relatively impersonal and rude answer, considering they accommodate pretty much every other dietary needs group but... not vegan. Really, all I'm asking is to avoid meals with cheese as a primary ingredient, eggs, butter... It's not difficult to replace butter with olive oil, leave off cheese/eggs, etc. I don't even mind fish sauce/honey - though some vegans do.

I've also read other reviews (specifically: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1645784) where people say they've had great luck with vegan requests.

Should I just ignore the Special Needs dept's response and seek out the maitre'd right away? I was told it's important to make special requests known PRIOR to sailing... but that isn't getting me anywhere.

Hah.. maybe I should just tell them I'm a vegetarian who is lactose-intolerant and allergic to eggs...

My wife has a dairy allergy. (allergic to the protein that is in milk). It is amazing how many foods contain some trace elements of milk.

Call RCI special needs and tell them you have a dairy allergy. They have always been accommodating for my wifes needs. You should also speak to the maître d once on board.

RCI is accommodating to a certain extent. Do not expect them to get very creative. Sometimes they will make special sauces other times they just omit the sauce. desserts are the biggest challenge. Get ready for berries and jello.

We sailed on the FOS last May. My Daughter is vegan. The first night she mentioned it to our waiter and he brought her a vegan dish and promised her more options the following night. From then on Katie bar the door. He brought out for her at least 3 options to choose from. I feel they bent over backwards for her.

If possible see the head waiter when you board and tell them I am sure that you will have more than one choice.

We sailed on the FOS last May. My Daughter is vegan. The first night she mentioned it to our waiter and he brought her a vegan dish and promised her more options the following night. From then on Katie bar the door. He brought out for her at least 3 options to choose from. I feel they bent over backwards for her.

If possible see the head waiter when you board and tell them I am sure that you will have more than one choice.

That is really nice, when I was sailing they basically just told me no. I ate a LOT of salad that week!

Side note - vegans don't eat jello and a true vegan or vegetarian wouldn't eat fish sauce either

This is really surprising since Royal Caribbean's official website has an option to select Dietary Needs. One of the options available is "Ovo Lacto V". Armed with this information, I'd try again and remind the person you are corresponding with that the option exists on their website.

DietaryPreferences.jpg.4ab8b1a590902c3a5e923b5a018d7983.jpg

My wife has a dairy allergy. (allergic to the protein that is in milk). It is amazing how many foods contain some trace elements of milk.

Call RCI special needs and tell them you have a dairy allergy. They have always been accommodating for my wifes needs. You should also speak to the maître d once on board.

RCI is accommodating to a certain extent. Do not expect them to get very creative. Sometimes they will make special sauces other times they just omit the sauce. desserts are the biggest challenge. Get ready for berries and jello.

Please don't lie about having an allergy. It makes life so much harder for those who really do have one, like your wife. People who exaggerate or lie about allergies and later eat some of the allergen (by mistake or on purpose) and show no reaction, lead others to believe that allergies are not serious.

DH and I are strict vegans... We always go with the mindset that we will eat a lot of salad and energy bars we bring ourselves. I don't even bother asking the head waiter (and explaining myself 3893 times!) and just go right to the windjammer. I feel RCI really needs to add a few dishes into their buffet. I'm not asking for the typical meals I make at home, just one option!

Good information. Our son is vegan and I wasn't sure if the cruise line would be able to provide these options. A few years ago we took both our sons to Ireland and stayed one week at a castle, where they prepared very nice vegan meals for him. We were ALL happy! I am now trying to plan a special celebration for DH's birthday next summer, and knowing this I am now leaning toward a family cruise.

This is really surprising since Royal Caribbean's official website has an option to select Dietary Needs. One of the options available is "Ovo Lacto V". Armed with this information, I'd try again and remind the person you are corresponding with that the option exists on their website.

Ovo lacto vegetarians eat milk and eggs, and therefore aren't vegans.

Sailed Freedom earlier this year. They bent over backwards to support my Gluten Intolerance. Seriously went out of their way to be helpful..... served me loads of alternatives, was my best experience to date sailing with dietary needs. The head chef is really friendly and approachable as were the majority of the serving staff..... first night was a fail (service-wise) as was Portofino's..... and then they stepped up and just blew me away with their support.

bone marrow and animal fats.

Actually, it is made from connective tissues, bones and skins of animals, usually cows and pigs. You can also get Kosher gelatin which is neither animal nor dairy-based. They gelling agent comes from carob beans, guar gum and the like.

Yes, but they give the options of 'ovo lacto vegetarian' AND 'vegetarian' -- what do they think the difference is? I know the difference between vegan and vegetarian, but what is the distinction between these two 'kinds' of vegetarian? To my knowledge, a vegetarian who DOESN'T eat milk products or eggs IS a vegan. :P

OP, ask again and you won't have so much trouble. We had weird dietary issues and were more than accommodated. We were brought the menu for the following night so certain things can be made without cheese, meat, shellfish etc for us. They will probably do the same for you, I'd guess.

:o Somehow I knew that and yet my brain just couldn't process which variation of vegetarian is the "No seriously, I really really do not want to eat any animals or things that comes out of an animal"-vegetarian type.

No option for VEGAN Vegetarian among the choices on RCL ... scary. Reminds me when they changed Morningstar patties to include eggs or some such as an ingredient for added texture. So many people were upset.

Jello is NOT vegan. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Oops, should have read the whole thread before hitting "reply".:o

Anyway, the reports about shipboard service are very different from what you get from the shoreside staff.

Let us know how it all turns out!

:)

Actually, it is made from connective tissues, bones and skins of animals, usually cows and pigs. You can also get Kosher gelatin which is neither animal nor dairy-based. They gelling agent comes from carob beans, guar gum and the like.

And I can attest to the fact that the whole process smells gross!:eek::cool: I grew up a couple of miles downwind from the Atlantic Gelatin plant. Some days smelled like strawberry or butterscotch, other days, yuck!

Yes, but they give the options of 'ovo lacto vegetarian' AND 'vegetarian' -- what do they think the difference is? I know the difference between vegan and vegetarian, but what is the distinction between these two 'kinds' of vegetarian? To my knowledge, a vegetarian who DOESN'T eat milk products or eggs IS a vegan. :P

There are a lot of other hidden animal products strict vegans do not eat that Ovo Lacto Veggies do ... honey, lanolin, and some beers are some of the first examples that comes to mind.

Here is a good way to sum it up according to one of my many vegan blogs I subscribe to :)

"Unlike vegans, lacto-ovo vegetarians merely abstain from eating foods made from the animal itself, rather than from animal products altogether."

My DD is vegan and she has had no trouble getting suitable food on RCI ships.

She did notify Special Needs in advance of sailing, and she also went to see the maitre d' in the MDR as soon as she boarded.

Self-service meals were no problem at all. There are plenty of options for people who eat a plant-based diet - salads, nuts, beans, etc. Some of the vegetarian options are also vegan, although it pays to ask. Soya milk is also available, if you ask.

Our waitress in the Main Dining Room was very helpful, once DD explained that she ate no animal products at all, which meant no meat, no fish, no shellfish, no milk, no butter, no cheese, no eggs, no honey, no jello.

Each evening, our waitress brought DD the menu for the following evening, DD looked at the vegetarian options and asked if any could be modified so that they were vegan. She then pre-ordered her meal for the following day. (It isn't possible to request a specially-prepared vegan meal "on the spot" )

To the OP: I'm sure you will manage OK, but be prepared to explain your dietary needs time and time again - as well as veganism not being widey understood, there can also be the problem that English is not the first language for most of the staff.

DD had a few priceless hiccups, such as the time that the chef prepared a special dessert for her. It looked milky. When the waitress enquired, the chef told her that the dessert did not contain "milk from cow", but did have "milk from tin" and so was vegan!!! LOL. ;) His intentions were good, but his understanding was not.

My wife has sailed on the Freedom twice since she has switched to a plant based diet due to allergies. Each time I send her allergy list in to special services with a note about the vegan diet. We also include the foods that she can and will eat. Each time they say she can't be accommodated.

And then once on board we see the Maitre D', present her list and everything works out very well. In fact we are going back on the Freedom again in October specifically because of how well they handle her diet.

So this time I modified the note that I sent in, and got the perfect response back.

Here is what I sent:

Hi. Please see the attached food allergy list and food possibility list for xxx on the xxx sailing of Freedom of the Seas. The booking number is xxxxxxx. She has severe food allergies which result in here having to eat a plant based diet (like a vegan, but not as strict in regards to honey, jello, etc). Since she is a Diamond Plus member, she does know the drill, and will visit with the Maitre D' as soon as she boards.

However, we would like a copy of her special diet sent to the ship ahead of time in case the procurement manager would like to order extra tofu, etc.

She will bring copies of this list on board as well.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this.

And this was the response back:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. We recommend once onboard speaking with the Maitre 'd to go over the menu and the meal accommodations. It is also recommended that she refrain from eating in the buffet areas, as they are self serve and can not guarantee it will be free of cross contamination.

Best regards,

Access Staff

Xxx

As usual, we are not expecting any issues.

She does eat in the Windjammer when the MDR is closed, but that food is also ordered ahead of time and brought up from the downstairs galley.

Archived