Danger at Civitavecchia Train Station

SevenSeas70

I am starting a new thread on this topic because of my recent experience at Civitavecchia. The danger is that of bodily injury produced by carrying luggage up and down stairs.

For almost all trains, you must climb down one long flight of stairs from your train and then climb up an equally long flight to exit the station. I estimate the stairs at around 20-25 steep steps. The reason is that Civitavecchia is a through station, so you can't walk out from your train platform directly to the station. If you have weighty bags, you have to carry them yourself, since there are no porters here.

I speak from personal experience, and am still nursing a back strain. It could have been worse-- an "angelo" (a young Italian man) appeared while I was carrying my second bag up the stairs, who carried it up the rest of the way, and, like the Lone Ranger, disappeared in a cloud of dust with my "molte grazie " following him into the distance.

Perhaps you could arrange for your taxi driver to come into the station and help. Otherwise, seriously consider alternative ways of getting to the port besides the train.

Civitavecchia is a through station, so you can't walk out from your train platform directly to the station.

Except if your train stops at Platform 1, in which case you walk out right to the station/platform. We were obviously fortunate, as both our coming and going trains arrived at Platform 1.

I speak from personal experience, and am still nursing a back strain. It could have been worse-- an "angelo" (a young Italian man) appeared while I was carrying my second bag up the stairs, who carried it up the rest of the way, and, like the Lone Ranger, disappeared in a cloud of dust with my "molte grazie " following him into the distance.

Perhaps you could arrange for your taxi driver to come into the station and help. Otherwise, seriously consider alternative ways of getting to the port besides the train.

Thank goodness for your Lone Ranger!

I have to reiterate the fact that you must be able to handle your own luggage if taking the train. And, if you have more luggage than an able-bodied person can handle, then you have too much luggage. MamaTwick and I each had a backpack and small rolling-bag for our cruise, and we both decided that next time, we're ditching the rolling bags and going backpack-only. They're suprisingly comfortable on the back - I found the backpack hurt my back less than pulling a heavy bag did.

"Danger" seems a bit strong. I opened this thread expecting to hear about armed thugs at the station, or perhaps malcontents pushing people onto the tracks.

Instead I read that one must carry one's bags up the steps. :eek:

Joking aside, I believe this information is stated in most posts made on Cruise Critic about using the train from Rome to Civitavecchia, at least in this part of the forums. And in most Tripadvisor posts on the topic. And on several websites that give information on taking the train to the port. And in many guidebooks....

I use trains and other public transportation a lot when I travel (as a solo woman BTW). It provides an excellent incentive to pack light enough for me to handle my bags on my own. I'd never try to schlep two "weighty" bags.

"Danger" seems a bit strong. I opened this thread expecting to hear about armed thugs at the station, or perhaps malcontents pushing people onto the tracks.

Instead I read that one must carry one's bags up the steps. :eek:

Joking aside, I believe this information is stated in most posts made on Cruise Critic about using the train from Rome to Civitavecchia, at least in this part of the forums. And in most Tripadvisor posts on the topic. And on several websites that give information on taking the train to the port. And in many guidebooks....

I use trains and other public transportation a lot when I travel (as a solo woman BTW). It provides an excellent incentive to pack light enough for me to handle my bags on my own. I'd never try to schlep two "weighty" bags.

...we thought something really bad happened at this relatively small train station.....yes, using "Danger" was too strong.

Perhaps the OP should've have known better....

I say this only because of the numerous warnings about having too many luggages when riding the train and also the stairs up and down at Civitavecchia....:confused:

A taxi driver will unlikely help you with your luggage (unless you give him 20 Euros). There is a reason why several of us, who dispense a lot of detailed advice on doing things on your own, will usually warn folks that using the train means you need to be able to handle your own luggage....and must also never leave it alone (or out of direct sight). Even on the trains, if we are forced to leave our luggage at the end of a car...one of us will be right next to that luggage every time the train starts to slow for a station.

Hank

completely agree, it's way too strong as an informational message that "there's a set of stairs"

This is a good reminder to people to realize that you have to carry your luggage. As others have said when I first saw the subject of the thread I thought it was about something like crime.

I think anytime you take the train with luggage anywhere around the world you do have to assess if you can manage it on your own should there not be any personnel who can offer assistance.

Keith

The trick here in travelling to Civitavecchia by train is to select a train from Roma Termini that terminates at Civitavecchia . Most of those trains terminate at platform 1 and you walk straight out to street level .

On the other hand Regional trains travelling further up the coast use the outer island platforms, and punters are required to use the dreaded sottopassagio (underground passage) !!!!

Many Italian stations including La Spezia have elevators between the platforms and the sottopassagio, but strangely NOT Civitavecchia .

If you ever end up their again, DON'T let a strange person carry your bag, there is every chance of them running off with it or holding it hostage until you give them 20 euro. Now that would be worthy of a danger title!

To those of you who were sympathetic I say "Thank you."

To those who said that I should have known better I can partly agree. I was traveling with less luggage than usual on this 3-week trip, but not all carry-ons. We had a previous positive experience at Pisa Centrale where all platforms had an elevator to the underground passage. Had I known about the problem at Civitavecchia I would have scheduled my trip from Firenze via Termini Roma.

To those wary about letting a stranger grab my bag, I admit that I had a similar thought, but had reached the point of not caring ;-}.

Finally, to those critical of my using the word "danger" I found that the dictionary definition is "the possibility of suffering harm or injury," which pretty much sums up where I was. Also, note that, at this writing, over 400 CC-s have looked at this thread and maybe some have been warned or reminded of the situation at Civitacvecchia or other European train stations.

To those of you who were sympathetic I say "Thank you."

To those who said that I should have known better I can partly agree. I was traveling with less luggage than usual on this 3-week trip, but not all carry-ons. We had a previous positive experience at Pisa Centrale where all platforms had an elevator to the underground passage. Had I known about the problem at Civitavecchia I would have scheduled my trip from Firenze via Termini Roma.

To those wary about letting a stranger grab my bag, I admit that I had a similar thought, but had reached the point of not caring ;-}.

Finally, to those critical of my using the word "danger" I found that the dictionary definition is "the possibility of suffering harm or injury," which pretty much sums up where I was. Also, note that, at this writing, over 400 CC-s have looked at this thread and maybe some have been warned or reminded of the situation at Civitacvecchia or other European train stations.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is very helpful to many of us.

It is no different in many Italian train stations....even those that have elevators (but have not been know to actually function since before the millennium).

Just one more reason why we a are very light packers.

Good reason for you to be a "light packers" and for us to use a private transfers since we are not light packers :)

At least here in Europe we HAVE trains and public transport, unlike the USA where one practically must take a car/taxi to everywhere:rolleyes:

So true, unless one lives in the NE Corridor (which is decently served by Amtrak). I don't live in the NE. So, I have to rely on airplanes and my car (I don't do taxis) to get me where I want to go. I LOVE the European rail system! It's pretty darn easy to use and is convenient to so many places I want to visit. I don't know why so many Americans have an adversity to it.

Finally, to those critical of my using the word "danger" I found that the dictionary definition is "the possibility of suffering harm or injury," which pretty much sums up where I was.

So in fact the thread title would have been equally accurate if you had no luggage at all - it's always possible to fall downstairs. ;)

In my limited experience, young Italian men tend to be helpful to older ladies. (Which, of course, I don't know if you are, on either count.) I'm told it's a national tradition of respect for mamma.

At least here in Europe we HAVE trains and public transport, unlike the USA where one practically must take a car/taxi to everywhere:rolleyes:
Unfortunately true for large parts of the country, but not everywhere. Last weekend I used Amtrak between LA and San Diego and it was wonderful. Inexpensive ($38), fast, clean, with large comfortable seats, working AC, and functional rest rooms. Also, Union Station in LA is lovely, with a beautiful garden to sit in while waiting for your train.

Your post indicates that you didn't know what you were getting yourself into. Sorry for your discomfort, but we were in many stations like that in Europe.

So we traveled with carry-ons only....for three weeks.

I've done the same thing. Two carry-ons for about three weeks. It amazes people but in this age of space bags and Downy wrinkle release, it's so doable. Also, I stayed in a small b and b which required us to use the sottosopagio behind the tracks. What people don't realize is that if you go to the opposite end of the platform ( not by the normal exit) you can go down the steps, turn to the left and end up out on the main street sidewalk. From there, a leisurely stroll to the entrance to the port.

Very true. Where in the United States or Canada could you find a sub $10 public solution to travel 80km (50mi) to catch a cruise ship?

Vancouver is the easiest with a subway line straight from the airport to 3 blocks from the terminal, but I know of no other North American port that is easily accessible. Come to think of it, I've never needed a taxi in Europe, anywhere. Always take the bus/metro/train.

Very true. Where in the United States or Canada could you find a sub $10 public solution to travel 80km (50mi) to catch a cruise ship?

Vancouver is the easiest with a subway line straight from the airport to 3 blocks from the terminal, but I know of no other North American port that is easily accessible. Come to think of it, I've never needed a taxi in Europe, anywhere. Always take the bus/metro/train.

Well, Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) is only a short taxi ride between port and pier (less then $20). And the Port of New York is quite easy from anywhere in Manhattan (you just grab an inexpensive taxi). As to your comment about Europe, I suspect you have never spent much time touring Tuscany or Umbria (in Italy) or Provence in France. In those places, and much of Europe outside of major cities, you either need a car or must be on some kind of tour. There is no way to see the S222 Road (Chianti wine trail) on a public bus, you cannot get to Les Baux on a public bus, you will never see the wonderful Sunday market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue unless you have a car. We could go on and on but my point is that using bus/metro/train really limits what you can see in Europe.

Hank

Well, Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) is only a short taxi ride between port and pier (less then $20). And the Port of New York is quite easy from anywhere in Manhattan (you just grab an inexpensive taxi). As to your comment about Europe, I suspect you have never spent much time touring Tuscany or Umbria (in Italy) or Provence in France. In those places, and much of Europe outside of major cities, you either need a car or must be on some kind of tour. There is no way to see the S222 Road (Chianti wine trail) on a public bus, you cannot get to Les Baux on a public bus, you will never see the wonderful Sunday market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue unless you have a car. We could go on and on but my point is that using bus/metro/train really limits what you can see in Europe.

Hank

I think the earlier poster is talking about a longer distance than in Fort Lauderdale. :D

Also, the situation isn't quite as bleak as you paint it. You enjoy driving and look for opportunities to do so. I don't enjoy it, and look for alternative ways to get around. For Les Baux, there actually is a public bus during the season (goes from Arles to Les Baux to St. Remy). Or one can take the train to a station that's only about 8 miles away, then get a taxi for the short remainder.

I'm willing to grant the Wine Trail -- by nature a driving experience. But many places can be reached in Europe by public transportation and good planning.

Archived