Protesters dive into Venice's canal to block cruise ships

RetiredMustang

Thanks for the link - hopefully the people don't get sick from jumping in the Canal - it's not the cleanest water in the world:rolleyes:

I for one am glad the Government is cracking down on the 40,000 + ton ships. Venice is very fragile and a beautiful spot. As much as I enjoy the sail in and sail a way - I'd far prefer Venice remain to visit in the future;) And small ships will still be permitted:D

Thanks for the link - hopefully the people don't get sick from jumping in the Canal - it's not the cleanest water in the world:rolleyes:

I for one am glad the Government is cracking down on the 40,000 + ton ships. Venice is very fragile and a beautiful spot. As much as I enjoy the sail in and sail a way - I'd far prefer Venice remain to visit in the future;) And small ships will still be permitted:D

I too can't imagine jumping into the Canal! I understand it's gotten better but 20 so years ago my ex and I were in Venice and she asked me what that white fuzzy stuff was floating in the water. Leaned over in the gondola and whispered in her ear....I thought she was going to get sick. :eek::)

Luckily next year we'll be sailing in and out of Venice on the very small 17,000 ton Wind. :)

Those wine petitioners will go to any length:D

I Love it!!!

I saw the topic and was going to make a similar comment... But, you beat me to it.

How about the petition signers find something as powerful has these folks did make their positon know. But - I hear they are looking forward to getting 200 signatures!

It's the most amazing departure from a city, isn't it? It will be sad if it is curtailed, but I can understand why the locals complain. And 12 ships on one day - can't imagine how they allowed that many in in the first place. There isn't that much space to dock, is there?

I Love it!!!

I saw the topic and was going to make a similar comment... But, you beat me to it.

How about the petition signers find something as powerful has these folks did make their positon know. But - I hear they are looking forward to getting 200 signatures!

Awwww - it's so nice that you two have found one another:D

I was in Venice in the 60's & it was beautiful, but the canal's were dirty at that time..

Can't imagine 35,000 tourists in that small area..I would be as upset as they are if something like this were to spoil our view..

Cheers...Betty

Re: Defenders of the ships say 5,000 local families are supported by the jobs guaranteed by the traffic, while protesters counter that the city's character is being crushed by the daily wave of tourists who disembark, buy a souvenir and then leave.

And if the protesters get their way, next year you'll be reading this....."Protesters are jumping into the Venice canals to protest a raise in taxes. Government officials reported that the tax increases were necessary to make up for the lost revenue from port fees, decline of other tax revenue (generated from passengers spending $$$ while in port), and the increase in government welfare programs/spending due to job losses when they banned cruise ships from Venice last year."

:p

I Love it!!!

glad you are happy - but I really thought this post was about Venice??

Have you even been there - or just take delight out of derailing threads with your counterpart.??

This is very important as Venice is really suffering - if you want to derail a thread - please pick another one

And definitely go to Venice:D

Have you even been there - or just take delight out of derailing threads with your counterpart.??

This is very important as Venice is really suffering - if you want to derail a thread - please pick another one

I must apologise for my part in derailing, as well.:o

I have been to Venice, and to be honest I cannot imagine the negative impact of 12 cruise ships all at the same time. I was there way back in the day before it got so popular with the cruise lines.

Cruising from Venice was one of the most memorable ship experiences I have had. It would be a shame not to still be able to do this - however, I too understand the importance of protecting the city and environs for future generations. I have a friend who cruised from Venice on Saturday - it will be interesting to hear of her experiences with the protests. 12 ships - 35,000 passengers - that's huge.

The cruise lines seem to differ with your position. I hope you exercise your freedom of speech and start a petition or never cruise in Venice.

Re: Defenders of the ships say 5,000 local families are supported by the jobs guaranteed by the traffic, while protesters counter that the city's character is being crushed by the daily wave of tourists who disembark, buy a souvenir and then leave.

And if the protesters get their way, next year you'll be reading this....."Protesters are jumping into the Venice canals to protest a raise in taxes. Government officials reported that the tax increases were necessary to make up for the lost revenue from port fees, decline of other tax revenue (generated from passengers spending $$$ while in port), and the increase in government welfare programs/spending due to job losses when they banned cruise ships from Venice last year."

:p

Exactly, while I understand the downside of cruise ships and other visitors, the decline in Venice's population would sky rocket without them.

Exactly, while I understand the downside of cruise ships and other visitors, the decline in Venice's population would sky rocket without them.

So it is Okay to ruin the environment there and do long term damage so others won't be allowed to visit in the future in hopes of saving Venice's Population that may leave if a few boats don't come? Venice Population is dwindling because of lack of grocery stores and modern amenities. Population is not dwindling because of jobs (job market there is not worse than any other tourist part of Italy). Look at the devastation that the Costa has done to the environment and how tourism has been hurt by it. I can see why they are concerned just by looking at all the incidents on cruise lines the past few years.

Would rather visit and spend our US dollars in ports where we are welcome...

arrivederci! addio! scortese Venezia!!!

This is not any kind of protest aimed at Americans. Many other nationalities are cruising on those ships and some of the cruise lines are Italian based.

It's concern about the future of their city and how best to preserve it, not some sort of "dig" at tourists.

Archived