How do you use the concierge?

Archaegeo

So what is the concierge really useful for?

I don't want to be demanding but paying the extra for a suite if there are things he or she can do for us that we wouldn't normally experience, I am curious about that as well,

So what use do you find for the concierge when you book a suite?

If you're interested in a specific excursion they can book it for you without waiting in line at he excursions desk.

If you're planning a party in your cabin they can arrange it.

If you need something tailored they'll make it happen.

If you're looking for a great restaurant on shore they'll suggest one.

Jonathan

We don't use them for much of anything usually. There was a fabulous concierge that used to work with Royal Caribbean. Her name was Maritsa. She saw me sitting in the Loyalty Ambassador's area and came (and addressed me by name!) and asked what I was waiting for.

I said I was just waiting to get a Next Cruise form, and she said, "I can take care of that for you! You don't have to wait here. I will get you the form, just fill it out. I will have the confirmation sent to your stateroom"

Recent concierges have never approached that level, but they can make specialty dining reservations at your preferred time, book shore excursions for you.

If there are things that you need done, they will do their best to assist you.

:)

I don't really ask or need for them to do much of anything (we're pretty much low maintenance travelers)...but I do expect them to be friendly and have a great attitude and actually approach their guests... something that we have always felt was done until our recent Oasis cruise...The two concierge's literally did nothing but sit behind their desk..never once came out from behind it...yes.. they would say "hello" when you came in the door and "goodbye" when you left..pretty much the extent of their interaction.

Have sailed in suites before...but usually JS's and have for many cruises been able to use the DL (where we have had the pleasure of many wonderful DL concierge's)..this was our first experience as a D+ and unfortunately not a memorable one in a good way.

The only time the concierge approached us was on the last night of the cruise in the lounge when she asked where we would be gathered to disembark the following morning. When I told here that we would be with her up in Portofino's, she looked rather surprised, and we got the impression that if she had realised that we were suite passengers, she may have made more of an effort. I only asked one thing of her during the cruise (a mattress topper which she did nothing about and which was eventually sourced by our lovely stateroom attendant). We didn't tip her anything extra and gave what we had intended for her as an extra bonus for the fabulous concierge lounge bartenders.

The concierge on our next cruise can only be an improvement!

I´ve never actively asked the Concierge for anything. There are a few thigs that will be offered, like Backstage, Bridge and Galley tours and I might participate in those, but other than that it´s mostly a bit of chit Chat in in the Lounge and the "extra Service" I get from the bartenders, even though it often might just be a glass of water or Juice. Of course I do realize, that the Concierge is the host and sets up the bar Service as well. But in the line of the OP´s question, I don´t think the Concierge is a big deal in regards of things that are not available through other sources as easily as well.

We don't use them for much of anything usually. There was a fabulous concierge that used to work with Royal Caribbean. Her name was Maritsa. She saw me sitting in the Loyalty Ambassador's area and came (and addressed me by name!) and asked what I was waiting for.

I said I was just waiting to get a Next Cruise form, and she said, "I can take care of that for you! You don't have to wait here. I will get you the form, just fill it out. I will have the confirmation sent to your stateroom"

Recent concierges have never approached that level, but they can make specialty dining reservations at your preferred time, book shore excursions for you.

I couldn't agree with you more about Maritsa, she was one of a kind.

I couldn't agree with you more about Maritsa, she was one of a kind.

Wasn't she the BEST? We haven't since then had a concierge that even approached that level of service, professionalism and efficiency. :)

We had JD on the Radiance earlier this month. He was great, our children were the youngest and perhaps only kids in suites on our cruise. He approached and asked if there was anything he could do for them. Miss 3 will only drink blackcurrant juice, we found cranberry juice the closest to what she normally has but couldn't find anywhere to purchase on the boat. Mentioned that we would love to know where to buy Cranberry Juice, he said leave it with him and arranged for a large glass to be delivered to our room morning and night every day of the cruise. He never missed a day, made our lives so much easier, we would have been happy to just know where to go to get it, to have it delivered was awesome.

Kirsten

We had JD on the Radiance earlier this month. He was great, our children were the youngest and perhaps only kids in suites on our cruise. He approached and asked if there was anything he could do for them. Miss 3 will only drink blackcurrant juice, we found cranberry juice the closest to what she normally has but couldn't find anywhere to purchase on the boat. Mentioned that we would love to know where to buy Cranberry Juice, he said leave it with him and arranged for a large glass to be delivered to our room morning and night every day of the cruise. He never missed a day, made our lives so much easier, we would have been happy to just know where to go to get it, to have it delivered was awesome.

Kirsten

Little OT here, but just a heads up for you, for future Cruises when you might not have a Concierge offering this. Cranberry Juice should be available at all bars and Dining venues onboard. I often like an orange/cranberry mix and never had a Problem getting it.

Get us reservations for shows that were sold out.

Check on an issue with charges on our SeaPass card.

Arrange for beer/wine/snacks to our room for a pre-dinner get together with our table mates.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So what is the concierge really useful for?

I don't want to be demanding but paying the extra for a suite if there are things he or she can do for us that we wouldn't normally experience, I am curious about that as well,

So what use do you find for the concierge when you book a suite?

to get me tours on the bridge, make reservations for anything/everything, change MTD dinner plans on the fly, print out my current balance, all little things that are much more convenient to do in the comfort of the CL as opposed to standing in line at GS.

He has assisted us in changing our MDR table when the attendant at the dining area said it could not be done.:D

He attained the re-imbursement for the platinum tux rebate on board, when we booked the tux ahead of time....also got the sox they forgot.

Helped our then 14 year old daughter get us a surprises cake for dinner for our anniversary on board the Freedom.

Was able to assist us in sitting at the captains table for dinner on the Freedom (Note: to bad no captain) long story:eek:

He invited us to a bridge and galley tour on the Freedom x 2 and Mariner.

Sea Ya

Thanks for the link, I've read the benefits before, I think I was more asking what specifically people who cruise in suites find themselves asking for or using the concierge for, ie specific examples

They can make hair salon appointments before the cruise. I usually email them the appointments I want with the day and hour. Appointments for formal nights are sometimes difficult to get. We usually travel with many friends and they help us with specialty restaurants reservation for our large group. Hope this helps.:):)

Someone mentioned that the Concierge sets up the bar service...never have I seen this happen, as it is always the bartenders who set it up and the food. Concierge may serve a drink once in a while, but other than that I don't think they have anything to do about the bar. They can offer help if you need it about something needed on the ship...just wanted to clarify.

Someone mentioned that the Concierge sets up the bar service...never have I seen this happen, as it is always the bartenders who set it up and the food. Concierge may serve a drink once in a while, but other than that I don't think they have anything to do about the bar. They can offer help if you need it about something needed on the ship...just wanted to clarify.

With "setting up" I didn´t mean physically. The Concierge is the one being responsible for making sure there are bartenders available and they are the ones making sure all the needed liquids are there and they order the Food provided.

Now that you mentioned it, I´ve given it a second thought and it might vary ship by ship, but I have seen the Concierge physically seen restocking the bar, servicing the coffee machine, etc.

Especially on Radiance class ships I remember the locker of the Concierge being next to our Suite and frequently seeing him in and out there to restock the fridges in the Lounge.

DH lost his wallet in Belize (long story) containing our driver's licenses, credit cards and cash. Concierge was able to print out our boarding photos (the ones embedded in the sea pass card) , allowed us to use his phone to notify credit card companies, arranged our sea pass cards to use a different credit card and was overwhelmingly supportive and helpful!

The Suites Concierge on Splendour last week (G. Butcher) is incredible and provided that level of warmth and professionalism many times over. Thanks to the upgrade fairy this was my first time in a GS and the first cruise ever for my two companions and we are forever spoiled!

Of course we got all the standard Suite perks including written invitations from the Concierge for Captain's reception and bridge, galley and backstage tours.

We often asked him "How do we..." or "What is the best way to..." and without exception his reply was "You tell me and I take care of it for you, that is why I am here", usually reaching for the phone as he spoke.

He made spa reservations for us and changed them once that day's Compass came out and we wanted to do something else at that time. He checked on a confusing charge on our Seapass account (turns out it was legitimate), got our ipad fixed when it malfunctioned midcruise, changed MTD reservations for us, found internet cafe locations for me in Athens, gave advice on DIY shore visits - he was fabulous. Most importantly to us we were always greeted with a huge welcoming smile and a bit of conversation whenever we entered the lounge, and he made us feel quite special.

He did say he liked us because we were always happy, so perhaps what goes around comes around.

Agree. Maritza was the absolute best. She went above and beyond on numerous occasions! If the rest of the concierge's were half as good as she was then there would be no complaints. LOL

I don't really ask or need for them to do much of anything (we're pretty much low maintenance travelers)...but I do expect them to be friendly and have a great attitude and actually approach their guests... something that we have always felt was done until our recent Oasis cruise...The two concierge's literally did nothing but sit behind their desk..never once came out from behind it...yes.. they would say "hello" when you came in the door and "goodbye" when you left..pretty much the extent of their interaction.

Have sailed in suites before...but usually JS's and have for many cruises been able to use the DL (where we have had the pleasure of many wonderful DL concierge's)..this was our first experience as a D+ and unfortunately not a memorable one in a good way.

Unfortunately we always have that feeling on OA and AL. I believe that even with the 2 concierge on those ships they just have too many folks/obligations. I remember our first cruise on OA we supposedly had "the cream of the crop" concierges (except for Maritza). We were not impressed at all. They didn't speak to us the whole week. Not even "hello" or "goodbye". However, it has been the same on all of our other OA / AL voyages. On the last one, the concierges would still be at the desk working at 11:00 pm every evening. I think they just don't have time to mingle as much as they do on other ships even though there are waiters, etc dealing with the food and drinks in the CL. There are so many more cabins, so many more specialty restaurants that need reservations, so many shows that need reservations, etc. It appears to me that they have a much larger task than on the other ships.

Wasn't she the BEST? We haven't since then had a concierge that even approached that level of service, professionalism and efficiency. :)

I so agree. Maritsa would actually come over to you if you came to the CL in the morning and ask how you liked your coffee or tea or whatever and personally deliver it to you. She would also make toast or an English muffin for you if she saw you starting to do it yourself. Again she would personally deliver it to you. Really went above and beyond. I'm sorry she's not with RCCL any longer. She was a gem!:)

I totally agree with your statement. We just came off the oasis this morning after two weeks of back to back cruises and what you said is all true. The first week they showed a little more enthusiasm by at least saying few words when we came in and even booked us one show by the second week if we got a hello out of them it was a big deal. We were on oasis last year as well and at that time Francis Calimag was the concierge. He was amazing! He came around the room every night and made sure everyone was taken care off. He also was detail oriented and friendly. These guys only sat on their butts. We booked this trip after the experience we had last year with Francis. He really did make our vacation special. We were disappointed to find out that he got transferred to a different ship. We still had a lovely trip but our experience was not as personal or as special as it was last year.

Archived