Better port...Istanbul or Valletta, malta?

elapel01

I have 2 different cruises on hold with Celebrity for Oct. 2014. One cruise (11 nights) goes to Istanbul overnight and the other cruise (12 nights) goes to Valletta, Malta for 1 day. Both cruise go to the other port in Turkey. I'm not sure I would like Istanbul yet someone told me it's quite the experience. Has anyone been to both ports and which one did you like? Ideas on Istanbul?

Before I first went to Istanbul I thought I would not like it.

Well, I was wrong and since going there for the first time in the late 1990's we have visited there on cruises several other times.

It is an amazing city with so much to see. You will get a feel for the culture and all that this city has to offer.

To me it is similar to asking would you prefer San Francisco or Savannah. Both are great cities but to me San Francisco offers a lot more to see.

While Malta is nice, I would recommend seeing Istanbul over Malta.

Keith

Oh, this is difficult....there's so much to see in Istanbul, but the island of Malta is so pretty, with so much history to visit. You probably should see Istanbul, as it's unique; Malta, the brave little nation which stood up to the enemy in WW2, has much to recommend it too, with a wonderful sail in.

I think for your first visit, it will have to be Istanbul, but keep Malta in mind for a second cruise!;)

another vote for Istanbul. Not only a fantastic port, but very easy to DIY with so much to see and do with good transportation options. We did a land-based tour of Turkey 2 years ago, and were so surpised at how comfortable it is to visit this country. Lots of English speakers in the tourist areas. Great shopping

Edited by herbanrenewal

We have recently been to both ports.

- Istanbul was on my bucket list and the main draw for our April 2013 cruise. Pulling in was amazing. The harbor as you pull in was above my expectations! I couldn't wait to get off the ship. We had planned a DIY day and Istanbul is really perfect for this. What a major fail this port turned out to be. It was unbelievably crowded on the tram and walking on the streets.I grew up in Philadelphia and New York City so city crowds don't bother me but this was something else. Of course we found some nice and helpful people in Istanbul but overall we found a lot of really rude people there. The Grand Bazaar seemed to mostly be very commercial products. When we tried to bargain with someone (and we were totally trying to be fair in pricing) they wouldn't deal with us and we overheard a vendor make a nasty comment about Americans to their friend while we were standing right there. On the tram back to the ship there was a man who kept pushing himself against my back. Now the tram was very very crowded but it just didn't feel right. I shifted in the crowd to give him more room and he was right back there. I told my husband I was uncomfortable and he moved between me and this man. About 90 seconds later this man was again behind me,but this time he had his hand in a inappropriate

area below my waist (and it wasn't my behind). I yelled NO lousy and he pushed back and then jumped off quickly at the stop we had just come to. A women from GB came over and said she saw the whole thing and was vey upset . I felt shaken and really surprised (i'm in my early 50's!). We got off our tram determined to enjoy our one day in Istanbul that had really been the reason for the whole trip! When push came to shove, what we really wanted was to just get back on the ship. To be fair, this was during the last part of our day. However, I had pre purchased tickets to the Palace and we gave them away. It wasn't worth fighting the crowd of unwelcoming people. Don't get me wrong--- the sites in Istanbul are beautiful but it was a big let down. We actually avoided certain trips for this May because they stopped in Istanbul. Quite a few people on board who had been to Istanbul in the past also said that the feel of the city had changed since their previous visit and they were not happy there either. This is just my personal view on our time in this port. I'm sure there will be many positive recent reviews also.

Malta- We loved it there! I feel there is more to shopping and eating here although I do love to shop and eat! We went right away to the Blue Grotto.My husband and I thought it was absolutely beautiful! We went to their glass factory and artist village. The island is beautiful and the people warm and friendly. We spent some time in Mdina,ancient walled in city and ended up in Valletta for a great meal before it was time to head back to the ship.Arriving by boat into Malta was fantastic. I wasn't prepared for the beauty of this port! We would love to go back to Malta!

I know everyone has different opinions and experiences. I would not let being groped ruin my day,it just added to a time we didn't really enjoy. The sites were fantastic but we just had a very unwelcoming feeling in Istanbul . We will be taking our 22 cruise in a few weeks,. We have never felt like this anywhere else.Again, this is just our story. I'm sure that you will have a wonderful trip no matter which one you pick!!

I haven't been to Istanbul, although that is definitely on my "To See" list. I have, however, been to Malta (Valletta), and while it doesn't rank up there as a favorite port, just in case you choose Malta over Istanbul, I wanted to add my two cents:

1. As kady already indicated, sailing into the port of Valetta is magical, especially if the sun is shining. The high, tan walls of the city are everywhere around you and it's not your usual "sail into an industrial port and watch the ship dock" type of experience. Get up early and enjoy the show!

2. Valletta was OK, but awfully crowded. You might want to think about going out of the city. I took a public bus to Marsasloxx (forget how to spell it, but others will know!) and back. The colorful boats bobbing in the harbor were wonderful, and riding the bus was fine once I found the bus stop. Also, there are ferries to a couple places that are a little less crowded than Valetta, so that might be more fun than walking with the crowds in Valetta.

Edited by roothy123

Thanks for all the input so far. I had read earlier on cruise critic on a review of Celebrity cruise that someone had said there were 9 ships in port at Istanbul (2 extra that day) and how crowded it was. That doesn't sound good but I know that can happen at any port.

When people say there are a lot of sights to see in Istanbul can someone please give me some examples?

Also the one negative reply about Istanbul was recent (April 2013), were the positive replies from over 2 years ago or fairly recent?

Thanks so much!

Thanks for all the input so far. I had read earlier on cruise critic on a review of Celebrity cruise that someone had said there were 9 ships in port at Istanbul (2 extra that day) and how crowded it was. That doesn't sound good but I know that can happen at any port.

When people say there are a lot of sights to see in Istanbul can someone please give me some examples?

Also the one negative reply about Istanbul was recent (April 2013), were the positive replies from over 2 years ago or fairly recent?

Thanks so much!

There are so many places to visit.

Blue Mosque

Basilica Cistern (this is an amazing site that is underground)

Grand Bazaar

Spice Market

Bosphorus Strait (visit this by ferry)

Archaeology Museum

Topkapi Palace

There are many more places but this will give you an idea.

Istanbul is unique as one side of the city is in Asia and the other side is in Europe.

We have been there many times as I mentioned earlier and when we were there there were one to three cruise ships.

Sure there are times of the year when it is crowded such as in July and August but other times when it is less crowded.

It is magical.

Keith

Oh, this is difficult....there's so much to see in Istanbul, but the island of Malta is so pretty, with so much history to visit. You probably should see Istanbul, as it's unique; Malta, the brave little nation which stood up to the enemy in WW2, has much to recommend it too, with a wonderful sail in.

I think for your first visit, it will have to be Istanbul, but keep Malta in mind for a second cruise!;)

Istanbul is far and away more significant - with so much more to see and do (the first subway in Europe, for example, the fifth century Haga Sofia, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar, the spice market, etc. Malta is beautiful, the 16th century fortifications which withstood the Turks, and the beautiful countryside is also worth a visit, but it does not rate with Istanbul.

Of course. It wasn't a "brave little nation", in WWII - it was a British enclave dragged into the war in spite of themselves -- still, Valetta did survive more air raids than any other city.

Istanbul, hands down.

I'm so sorry that the other poster had a negative experience. I've visited Istanbul several times as a woman on my own; have used the tram to get around with no problems at all. In fact, one evening I stayed in town late to eat dinner at a favorite restaurant on my own and took the tram back to the ship at around 10:00 pm. Only "hazard" was getting involved in an interesting conversation with an older man who wanted to brag about his son and how he was attending hotel school.

I have always found the people to be friendly and helpful. I will add that the Bazaar is mostly a tourist trap and much of the merchandise isn't even from Turkey (although there are still a few authentic places if one is willing to navigate deeper into the aisles). It's not the place to see the best of Turkey, let's leave it at that....

I've been to Malta a couple of times as well. It's lovely and you'd certainly enjoy the day there. But it doesn't hold a candle to Istanbul in my book.

We have been to both ports a few times (including several days in Istanbul hotels) and both are terrific ports. However, having been to about 100 countries and countless places we would rate Istanbul as one of the best cities (to visit) in the world. It is also interesting to note that Travel and Leisure Magazine's latest poll rates Istanbul as the #1 city in all of Europe and #2 in the world (behind Bangkok).

Hank

Istanbul is a fantastic city and all the places listed by Keith are truly amazing.

I know that it can easily been done as a DIY, but we hired a great guide for four of us. The tour was a walking tour, so the sights were put into context. Check the ports of call forum for names of reputable guides and enjoy a city that is so rich in history.

Don't miss the Cisterns! Check the day of the week you will be there. Some sights are closed on Sunday and some are closed on Monday. We were there overnight, so could see them all. :) Wear comfortable shoes!

Edited by 5326jan

Thanks everyone for all the replies! It's great to get such help.

Since Istanbul sounds so great I am going to wait to either see it by a land vacation (our friends have done that) or do a cruise that starts from there in order to see a lot of it by staying 3 days there.:)

Thanks everyone for all the replies! It's great to get such help.

Since Istanbul sounds so great I am going to wait to either see it by a land vacation (our friends have done that) or do a cruise that starts from there in order to see a lot of it by staying 3 days there.:)

Great idea - a city like Istanbul really does need more time than a one day port call.

Istanbul, hands down.

I'm so sorry that the other poster had a negative experience. I've visited Istanbul several times as a woman on my own; have used the tram to get around with no problems at all. In fact, one evening I stayed in town late to eat dinner at a favorite restaurant on my own and took the tram back to the ship at around 10:00 pm. Only "hazard" was getting involved in an interesting conversation with an older man who wanted to brag about his son and how he was attending hotel school.

I have always found the people to be friendly and helpful. I will add that the Bazaar is mostly a tourist trap and much of the merchandise isn't even from Turkey (although there are still a few authentic places if one is willing to navigate deeper into the aisles). It's not the place to see the best of Turkey, let's leave it at that....

I've been to Malta a couple of times as well. It's lovely and you'd certainly enjoy the day there. But it doesn't hold a candle to Istanbul in my book.

I agree, we like Malta but Istanbul is so much more, history, religion, culture and easy to get around on the trams.