Packing a lunch

I'm planning excursions for my cruise to Alaska, and it seems that a number of these trips are all day, and include less than amazing lunch options. On the Alaska forum, some have suggested bringing your own lunch rather than eating the lunches provided. These are not RCI excursions, but rather independent tours.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how that might work on Royal Caribbean? Would room service provide lunch options we could take with us as we're leaving the ship at 7 am? Is there anything portable that would be "lunch appropriate" from the Windjammer in the morning? Do we visit the WJ the night before and put stuff in the fridge?

Thanks for any advice.

Lydia

You would be able to make some sandwiches in the Windjammer in the morning to take. Having said that it may not be possible. Most ports have quarantine rules which restrict you from taking any food off the ship. In Australia, for example, you would not be allowed to take a lunch off the ship and could be fined or worse if you try.

Hi - passengers are not allowed to take any food off the ship unless it is pre-packaged, such as small cereal boxes, pre-packaged cookies or bags of nuts, granola bars, etc. I'm afraid the days of packing a picnic lunch to each on shore are long gone. I'm sorry some have suggested you bring your own off the ship because it is clearly not allowed; there will be signage to that effect and it is printed in the daily newsletter as well.

I'm planning excursions for my cruise to Alaska, and it seems that a number of these trips are all day, and include less than amazing lunch options. On the Alaska forum, some have suggested bringing your own lunch rather than eating the lunches provided. These are not RCI excursions, but rather independent tours.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how that might work on Royal Caribbean? Would room service provide lunch options we could take with us as we're leaving the ship at 7 am? Is there anything portable that would be "lunch appropriate" from the Windjammer in the morning? Do we visit the WJ the night before and put stuff in the fridge?

Thanks for any advice.

Lydia

Due to Health regulation no food product can taken ashore from the ship . The only thing that can taken ashore are sealed package like peanuts , granola bars or similar items. My DW had to actually throw her coffee out when going ashore in Hawaii.

OP, why don't you plan on bringing a few items from home in your suitcase? We do that all the time. I bring pre-packaged high fiber bars to eat on excursions or in airports; you can bring packaged nuts and granola bars, fruit leather, crackers and peanut butter or cheese... anything that is sold already pre-packaged is permitted off the ship. I know it's not "lunch" but it will certainly help.

Enjoy Alaska. It is beautiful. :)

Quick question--I plan on taking a water bottle to fill while on the ship. If I fill it before I leave the ship is that allowed off?

Thanks!

We have always filled drink bottles at the WJ in the morning with OJ and water and never had a problem taking them off. Not sure if it's allowed but never been stopped.

Quick question--I plan on taking a water bottle to fill while on the ship. If I fill it before I leave the ship is that allowed off?

Thanks!

Water is fine. It's only things that could possibly harbor insects / insect eggs, etc. that are against agricultural laws in most countries including the U.S.

We were eating soft serve ice cream cones from the self-service machine on the ship and had to throw those away before going ashore.

Having to discard an ice cream cone borders on criminal. Couldn't you just wolf it down? The headache would've only lasted a short time. Hardly a price to pay. :D

Not sure what excursions and where in Alaska but our recent cruise we had some of the best food on excursions. Of course we love most all seafood and from the chowders to the various fish dishes all was great. Even my picky husband enjoyed it.

Not sure what excursions and where in Alaska but our recent cruise we had some of the best food on excursions. Of course we love most all seafood and from the chowders to the various fish dishes all was great. Even my picky husband enjoyed it.

Exactly - we've had some awesome king crab legs in Alaska. I do always pack some protein bars just in case for any port.

How about getting off the ship early and going to a local store or even a Subway. Buy what you need then go on the excursion. I have NEVER heard of not being allowed ANY food. Diabetics carry snacks all the time. They may make you leave the food on the bus if going on a bear hunt or something, but the places you are going to visit have people living and working there with food all the time.

Thanks for the feedback. At least I know that we're going to have a lunch issue on a few days. I guess we'll need a big breakfast. :)

Where does your cruise start? If it is Alaska, I've never heard of not taking food off the ship from one US port to another.

Where does your cruise start? If it is Alaska, I've never heard of not taking food off the ship from one US port to another.

Depends on the US state. When we cruised out of California on Mariner, they would not even let us take food from Windjammer out to the open deck when we were within a certain distance from shore.