Platinium Will You Make It

CruiseHealing

I found out about being grandfathered in last year on my Christmas cruise. That was only my forth cruise. I thought to myself, "Can I fit 6 cruises in a year? " Challenge accepted.

In January I sat down and looked at my available vacation days and made a plan. I book a 3 day in February. A B2B2B in July. A 2 day in November. And a 7 day the first week of December.

Since then, I noticed that I had the week of Thanksgiving off. First I thought about just going down to Florida early for my December cruise. While looking into what to do, I noticed that a cruise over thanksgiving was not much more than my cruise in December.

So I went ahead and booked me a cruise over thanksgiving. I was able to book it on the same ship as the December 1st cruise and get the same room. Turned it into a B2B.

In September carnival came out with some cruises that didn't have the solo supplement and because of the good price, I was able to squeeze in a short 3 day cruise.

I will end up with 8 cruises this year alone. 12 overall. I will probably cut back next year. I am only looking at doing 4 or 5 next year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Next cruise is next month, just a couple of weeks before the deadline, and that will be my platinum cruise with 10 cruises and 71 days, so I would have made it under the new rules on my 11th cruise anyway.

DH will only have 8 cruises by the end of the year, (and 57 days), so it will take him a while longer. Would have loved to have made our cruises this year back-to-backs, but it just didn't work out with our schedules.

I know this rule change came some time ago and that people are on both sides of it, but the number 75 has always struck me as a strange number of cruise days to make platinum. The typical 7-day cruise x10 (the current magic number) would be 70 days. I would imagine there are many, many people who obtained platinum status with a mere 30 days under the soon-to-be "old" program, so 70 would have been more congruent IMHO. Beating a dead horse, I am, LOL. It is what it is, and I do think it's nice that they let people grandfather in.

We are about forty days until 2014. Will you make it to Platinium under the old rules? I can say we did, but we were going to anyway. The only special cruise we did this year was for DD who is in college and busy with pre-med, so with a very tight window she was able to do a 3 day cruise and join the Platinium crowd.

I know a lot of people will start flaming this post because it is not as good as it used to be. That is NOT the question here, so hold your power. I'm just asking will you join us under the old rules?

We did a B2B last January to make it to Platinum. We were lucky because we received Platinum status on our 9th cruise since it was B2B. Surprised by that.

The only problem with doing B2B to get to Platinum is we're hooked on Platinum and doing another one this coming January.

Yes..... We will be doing our 10th cruise in less than 2 weeks.

We usually cruise in Jan, but moved it up a month this year.

Claudia

So that's why you moved yours up. Hopefully, we'll sail again with you and your hubby in January of 2015. We plan on booking our next B2B while on our January 2014 cruise.

Should be but Carnival will not accept my info for older cruises in the 80's???? right now, still hoping.

Same here...I have 13 days for cruises in the 89s/90s and can't use it to make me gold even. They expect me to keep my receipts for 24 years but they don't keep theirs. Pure BS, This is why I do other cruiselines on occasion.

wow, I cannot believe how obsessed people are to reach platinum

I myself don't think it is such a big deal

why do people want to reach this point?

just asking a question?

Nice that DW and I get free laundry and only have to take one large suitcase for the two of us.

However having reached this point dont know if we will cruise enough with Carnival to become Diamond.

Entertainment not what it used to be and getting tired of Caribbean and time to see the world so Europe next year here we come.

wow, I cannot believe how obsessed people are to reach platinum

I myself don't think it is such a big deal

why do people want to reach this point?

just asking a question

People like status...it's human nature to want the next and best thing available. (Plus free laundry would be soooo nice)

We sail in 19 days and it will be our Platinum cruise. We didn't think we would make it this year but DD and DSIL asked us the join them in September on a cruise so we decided to throw in one last cruise in December to make it to Platinum. Just seemed like something we should do :). We are ready to go!

DW and I took our Platinum cruise in September. One of our kids only has 6 or 7, but the other one will miss with only 9 cruises.

He had to cancel when we took our ninth, but such is life. He can stay at Gold for a few more cruises till be makes it to Platinum under the new rules.