Disembarkation options when using only carry-ons

carolslc

I know there are many that will think we are crazy, but we are planning to go on our Summit Caribbean cruise with a 21” carry-on each, plus we’ll each have a backpack/large shoulder bag that will fit under the seat in front of us on the flight down. We’ll pick up bottles of sunscreen and any other large liquids needed at Walgreens in Puerto Rico.

We plan to embark ourselves. We have no mobility issues and just feel better about keeping our stuff with us. We don’t have a problem rolling a carry-on with us until our cabin is ready on embarkation day.

My question is about disembarkation. We would love to have a leisurely breakfast around 8, and walk off the ship whenever we are done. And yes, we can take our carry-ons down stairs by ourselves as needed. Our flight out of SJU is at 1:30. It seems however that there are two choices – super-early self-disembarkation with possibly no time for breakfast and now time to kill in San Juan, or get assigned to a group and sit and wait in a crowded room where there might be snacks and drinks and enough chairs, or might not, until our time to be dismissed.

This is our first cruise, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. Is what we want to do possible? We are in AQ if that makes any difference.

And in case anyone is wondering why we are trying to do a 7 day cruise with carry-ons, the primary reason is that we are flying Southwest and unfortunately the only way to get from our home to San Juan was to book two separate itineraries with only an hour layover between them in San Antonio (not enough time to pick up and re-check). I’ve talked to multiple people at Southwest and it would be iffy whether our bags would make it to SJU before our cruise leaves. There’s a good chance they wouldn’t successfully make the switch in San Antonio, and the next flight out is the next day arriving after our ship leaves. They recommended that if we wanted it on our cruise, carry it with us on the flights.

Thanks!

I know there are many that will think we are crazy, but we are planning to go on our Summit Caribbean cruise with a 21” carry-on each, plus we’ll each have a backpack/large shoulder bag that will fit under the seat in front of us on the flight down. We’ll pick up bottles of sunscreen and any other large liquids needed at Walgreens in Puerto Rico.

We plan to embark ourselves. We have no mobility issues and just feel better about keeping our stuff with us. We don’t have a problem rolling a carry-on with us until our cabin is ready on embarkation day.

My question is about disembarkation. We would love to have a leisurely breakfast around 8, and walk off the ship whenever we are done. And yes, we can take our carry-ons down stairs by ourselves as needed. Our flight out of SJU is at 1:30. It seems however that there are two choices – super-early self-disembarkation with possibly no time for breakfast and now time to kill in San Juan, or get assigned to a group and sit and wait in a crowded room where there might be snacks and drinks and enough chairs, or might not, until our time to be dismissed.

This is our first cruise, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. Is what we want to do possible? We are in AQ if that makes any difference.

And in case anyone is wondering why we are trying to do a 7 day cruise with carry-ons, the primary reason is that we are flying Southwest and unfortunately the only way to get from our home to San Juan was to book two separate itineraries with only an hour layover between them in San Antonio (not enough time to pick up and re-check). I’ve talked to multiple people at Southwest and it would be iffy whether our bags would make it to SJU before our cruise leaves. There’s a good chance they wouldn’t successfully make the switch in San Antonio, and the next flight out is the next day arriving after our ship leaves. They recommended that if we wanted it on our cruise, carry it with us on the flights.

Thanks!

Hi:)....nothing wrong with what you are doing at all but I will give you

a heads up about disembarkation day.

"The Leisurely Breakfast" is sort of any oxymoron.....yes, you can

have breakfast before leaving but nothing is really leisurely on that

morning. The crew and staff are already trying to get things ready

for the folks who are sailing the day you are leaving.

I can't think of Blu's breakfast hours on that final morning but 8:00

would be on the late side. You can check with the Maitr'd on the

breakfast hours for that final morning but I think it is probably finishing

by 8.

As for what time you want to get off the ship? Even if you are doing

self-disembarkation? You can tell Guest Relations you want to be

in the last group off......you will get paperwork to fill out but you

can tell them in person too. Normally the latest groups are in the

9:30--10:00 range.....and 10 is late. I am re-reading your post....

not sure what you mean about snacks and drinks while waiting

to disembark? Those items are not offered......you will be assigned

to one of the public areas to wait in though......that is just how

things are processed......all the passengers need to be out of their cabins

and waiting somewhere before they disembark the ship. It may be the

theater or one of the lounges, just to give you an example.

I have sailed SUMMIT 1/2 dozen times over the years and hope you

have a great cruise:D

Edited by Lois R

Most people doing self disembarkation are doing so to get off ASAP, so the discussions here are centered on that. But if you are carrying your own luggage off then I think you can get off anytime between when they let the first self disembarkation group go and when they make the final announcement for any remaining passengers on board to disembark.

We've never done self disembarkation but we've occasionally gotten off long after our disembarkation group was called. No issue doing so although once our luggage was moved in the terminal since it was the only ones left in that area so it took a while to locate.

Edited by Lsimon

I know there are many that will think we are crazy, but we are planning to go on our Summit Caribbean cruise with a 21” carry-on each, plus we’ll each have a backpack/large shoulder bag that will fit under the seat in front of us on the flight down.

You are NOT crazy. We pack a 21" bag, no matter how long the trip,

even though we drive to the port.

For 8 years now, I have never taken any trip anywhere ever with anything more than 1 carry on. Easy to do, if you do it right, and SO worth it, I got hooked after reading one bag dot com. My wife and I took 2 cruises, one for 10 days, one. For 14, each with one arty on bag only. Worked fine. We disembarked when we wanted. You'll be fine.

Agree with an earlier post that a leisurely breakfast is hard. Like refugees fleeing an invading army, ere's a feeling that it's time to get out of here. It's struck me as a kinda unpleasant feeling, and I'm in no mood to stick around disembarkation day. Roll out if bed, have a roll and coffee if you must, and get out. That's what I say.

Thanks for the responses - this is very helpful information! I can see how it might be a problem if we want to be the first ones to embark, and the last ones to leave when we disembark, as they need to get ready for the next group that wants to be first. :D We certainly don't want to be in anyone's way, either crew or passengers.

We will check the Blu hours for that morning and plan breakfast based on that.

Is there a time by which you must be out of your cabin? I assume so since everyone is directed to a specified public area to wait until their group's time to leave.

I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm envious of anyone who can do what you're doing.

On our most recent cruise we did exactly what you're proposing: used self-debarkation but didn't get off early. It worked beautifully.

As LSimon pointed out, most people doing it are looking to leave first, but you may leave at any time from the time they allow the first people off, onward. We waited a few hours, and it was extremely pleasant.

Harris

Denver, CO

On our most recent cruise we did exactly what you're proposing: used self-debarkation but didn't get off early. It worked beautifully.

As LSimon pointed out, most people doing it are looking to leave first, but you may leave at any time from the time they allow the first people off, onward. We waited a few hours, and it was extremely pleasant.

Fantastic! Thanks so much!

You could still have a long, leisurely breakfast if you waited until you were ashore. You've lots of time until your flight, and this could be quite enjoyable. Just another option. :)

Thanks! I did think about that as I was reading the replies describing the madness of the last day on the ship. Perhaps we will wake up, taxi to Old San Juan and find a nice place for a leisurely breakfast there.

FWIW, on Eclipse, we didn't do self-disembarkation, but chose to get off in one of the last groups, and we did have a leisurely breakfast on board.

We took our carry-on bags out of our room about 7.30, so the room steward could get on with doing the room. We had a leisurely breakfast, at the Solarium cafe. We didn't go to one of the designated lounges to wait, but continued to sit at a table in the Solarium.

We weren't in anyone's way and it was peaceful. We didn't hear any announcements. We just disembarked at the time suggested on the letter we received with our disembarkation colour code. The terminal was almost empty, we found our bags easily, and it was the most pleasant disembarkation experience we have had. We plan to do the same thing again.

Most people doing self disembarkation are doing so to get off ASAP, so the discussions here are centered on that. But if you are carrying your own luggage off then I think you can get off anytime between when they let the first self disembarkation group go and when they make the final announcement for any remaining passengers on board to disembark.

That's been our experience. We almost always self disembark but a cruise or two ago we got a late start and weren't actually packed and ready to go til after they started calling the numbered groups. We got in line and got off at that point, no problem.

You do not need to report to an assigned area (if you choose not to, even after being assigned one). The Oceanview Cafe should be open until 8:30 that morning. Go and have a nice breakfast there and then you can sit outside at the Sunset Bar until you are ready to get off the ship. Cafe al Baccio is also open until 8:30. Relax & enjoy! :D

Once when we had a later flight we took a taxi to the El San Juan resort hotel. We'd hoped to check our luggage with the bellman and sit by the pool. They would not let us check luggage nor sit at the pool or pool bar. But we did sit in an open air restaurant just off the pool and had a nice buffet brunch. It was a nice place to hang out and we had no issue spending a couple hours there.

Have done many cruises with only carry-on, best way to go!

I always wonder what people put in all those huge suitcases. :cool:

No experience yet with Celebrity but generally, choose self-disembark and get off when you are ready. Obviously, at some point you have to get off.....

Suit, dress shirts-2 for DH, cocktail dresses 2-3 depending on length of cruise. Water shoes- pair each, sandals- pair each, dress shoes - pair for DH & 2 for me; wear workout shoes on plane. Oh and the inflatable butler, cuz we can't afford a suite;)

Met a young woman once who had over 40 pairs of shoes on her 7 day cruise. :eek:

Hey, it's her vacation and she said she couldn't travel with fewer. :rolleyes::p

Met a young woman once who had over 40 pairs of shoes on her 7 day cruise. :eek:

Hey, it's her vacation and she said she couldn't travel with fewer. :rolleyes::p

Was her first name Imelda?

No, her name was Whitney...my daughter.:D I swear that child (32 years old) has no limits. She spent one night at our house for Thanksgiving and brought an overstuffed roll-on bag and a LARGE Coach over-the-shoulder bag, plus a blanket! When we asked what she had in the bags, she replied that she could not decide on which boots to wear today, so she packed them all along with some regular shoes. :rolleyes:

I have been given the challenge of taking one rolling carry-on, on a 10 day Holy Land trip, plus an over-the-shoulder bag. I am going over the onebag.com site and check it out. I have already checked out a video that another CC'r posted and hope to follow this example.

No experience yet with Celebrity but generally, choose self-disembark and get off when you are ready. Obviously, at some point you have to get off.....

Love the self-disembark feature. It was painless, fast and easy......we pack in carry ons as well. Our main reasoning is we *have* had lost luggage before and don't want to deal with it again! :mad: We now have another issue and that is we both own Miatas. Luckily we can get one suitcase in the trunk and the other goes on the luggage rack. We take only what we need and leave the rest home! The roughest part for us last cruise was issues with customs in FLL. Even with the issues there, we were still at the airport with lots of time to spare.

I have been given the challenge of taking one rolling carry-on, on a 10 day Holy Land trip, plus an over-the-shoulder bag. I am going over the onebag.com site and check it out. I have already checked out a video that another CC'r posted and hope to follow this example.

This is the way I pack.....seriously, once you have it down, it's easy! Highly recommended. Didn't even open the expander on my bag! ;)

1531240464_beforepacking.jpg.bf60caace5b4719cea5f64a7d80b4e2c.jpg

1038723604_packingjob.jpg.6a3a5d2108af3c727885a68e88e846a9.jpg

Edited by islandgirlejfan

OP,

I wish you pleasant flying weather...any cruise out of San Juan is easy and wonderful.

You asked about what time you must leave your cabin. It is generally 8:30. On rare occasions the time can vary but after over a dozen cruises from Puerto Rico it has been 8:30.

You will enjoy the breakfast in Blu every morning but on disembarkation day you should go a few minutes before their posted closing and have a leisurely breakfast.

As noted, you can disembark at your leisure.

Now to SJU......It will be crowded and hectic. It would be best to arrive at least 2 1/2 hours preflight, even with no checked baggage. The TSA there is incredibly slow. Be sure to either check in while onboard for one of the A boarding cards or have someone at home check in for you at the 24 hour mark. You can print your boarding passes either onboard or at the airport of course.

When you cruise again please consider your air arrangements with the same care you chose your cruise. Southwest does not interline with other airlines and when a delay occurs you have few options heading to a more remote location like San Juan. As you know San Antonio is not a large airport and if everything is on time you will be fine. Come back to Cruise Critic and ask air questions on the Cruise Air boards BEFORE you book.

Have a great cruise.

OP,

I wish you pleasant flying weather...any cruise out of San Juan is easy and wonderful.

You asked about what time you must leave your cabin. It is generally 8:30. On rare occasions the time can vary but after over a dozen cruises from Puerto Rico it has been 8:30.

You will enjoy the breakfast in Blu every morning but on disembarkation day you should go a few minutes before their posted closing and have a leisurely breakfast.

As noted, you can disembark at your leisure.

Now to SJU......It will be crowded and hectic. It would be best to arrive at least 2 1/2 hours preflight, even with no checked baggage. The TSA there is incredibly slow. Be sure to either check in while onboard for one of the A boarding cards or have someone at home check in for you at the 24 hour mark. You can print your boarding passes either onboard or at the airport of course.

When you cruise again please consider your air arrangements with the same care you chose your cruise. Southwest does not interline with other airlines and when a delay occurs you have few options heading to a more remote location like San Juan. As you know San Antonio is not a large airport and if everything is on time you will be fine. Come back to Cruise Critic and ask air questions on the Cruise Air boards BEFORE you book.

Have a great cruise.

Great info - thanks so much. I have never noticed the Cruise Air boards before. Next time I will check. Southwest was so much cheaper than the other airlines and we love them for other shorter flights, that I never considered the downsides for this type of travel. We did pay the extra money for EarlyBird checkin so that Southwest will automatically check us in. I didn't want to have to worry about it while relaxing on a beach on St. John Friday. :)

I really appreciate the packing tips that people are sharing. I'm looking forward to reading every bit of onebag.com and watching videos to prepare. I love the idea of travelling more effortlessly. My husband doesn't think I can do it though. When we went to Costa Rica last year, I brought a huge suitcase that hovered barely under the weight limit. I will show him! :p