Elite Status: Terrible name!

Dutch Explorers

After reading through all the threads about the changes in the loyalty program I noticed that in my opinion Celebrity missed a great opportunity to make a change that would not cost anything in benefits but could solve a lot of discussions on feeling superior compared to other passengers.

How? Get rid of the name Elite!

The definition according to the Oxford Dictionary of the word Elite is:

- a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society:

- a group or class of people seen as having the most power and influence in a society, especially on account of their wealth or privilege

Why? Because this name can give people an unwanted sense of entitlement that can have a negative influence on other people.

The reason I bring this up is that I never saw so many people mentioning "I am Elite" if you compare it to other cruise line loyalty programs.

Also somebody stating I am 4 star on HAL or I am Gold status on Oceania does not sound as "superior" as I am Elite.

To be clear, I have nothing against loyalty programs and if you reached a certain level you earned the benefits associated with it BUT it does not entitle people to feel and even worse act superior and the word Elite is causing just that.

For me this is a missed opportunity for Celebrity in the recent changes of the loyalty program.

I would like to hear how other people think about this.

Perhaps oddly, I'm not too worried by the name, although I agree with your definition.

For me, all the programs compete for trying to give a better name for their top level e.g. Platinum, Diamond even though you don't get anything platinum or diamond with them - it's just a name. So I think the name itself just comes across as marketing saying the top level - which Elite connotes.

Maybe they should have just called it Acme. ;)

To be clear, I have nothing against loyalty programs and if you reached a certain level you earned the benefits associated with it BUT it does not entitle people to feel and even worse act superior and the word Elite is causing just that.

For me this is a missed opportunity for Celebrity in the recent changes of the loyalty program.

IMO If they had changed the name, they could just as easily changed ( downgraded) the benefits.

It took me 10 years to become Elite, as we don't live near ports, so the majority of our cruises are 2 week ones. We cannot take 3/4 nighters.

I really enjoy the benefits that I have earned and an grateful to Celebrity and my loyalty is with them, now and in the future.

I hate it when Celebrity refers to me as Elite, when they should be saying "Your Majesty" or at least "Your Royal Highness" (I do let my closest friends use the later):rolleyes:

OP: I think you have a valid point, but like upwarduk I fear that most changes might not be in my favor.

Thom

After reading through all the threads about the changes in the loyalty program I noticed that in my opinion Celebrity missed a great opportunity to make a change that would not cost anything in benefits but could solve a lot of discussions on feeling superior compared to other passengers.

- a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society:

- a group or class of people seen as having the most power and influence in a society, especially on account of their wealth or privilege

Why? Because this name can give people an unwanted sense of entitlement that can have a negative influence on other people.

The reason I bring this up is that I never saw so many people mentioning "I am Elite" if you compare it to other cruise line loyalty programs.

Also somebody stating I am 4 star on HAL or I am Gold status on Oceania does not sound as "superior" as I am Elite.

I think you are making too much of this word. I think X cruisers know it is only about rewards for loyalty, not some false superiority.

Princess, which is a far bigger line than Celebrity, also named it's top tier "Elite", yet for some reason I don't recall reading nearly as many (any?) threads on their chat board that go-on-and-on-and-on about the insecurity of some towards the name. :confused:

Naming of the tiers...That ship sailed eons ago..

We are just happy that they have announced the changes and do not hear too many negatives.

Folks who frequent businesses and spend the most time & money there are entitled to perks and statue--even if it is a marketing device... Even Kohls Dept store has its Most Valued Customers perks!

the most class sep. we ever felt was on Cunard where you cannot access many places on the ship if you are not in the upper booking tiers...

Its been my experience that loyalty program status is not evident to most people while on board. There are few priority benefits, and the ones that exist are frequently shared with the higher priced suites - those folks earn the priority benefit by $$$ spent - so its not that evident onboard.

It is evident in Cruise Critic. Some posters talk quite a bit about "I am Elite"

I liked a post where someone said "I've elite benefits" - its less intimidating to newbies.

Folks who frequent businesses and spend the most time & money there are entitled to perks and statue--even if it is a marketing device... Even Kohls Dept store has its Most Valued Customers perks!

:eek::eek: How insulting to the hard working regular customers who are made to feel like second class customers because of that name!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

IMO If they had changed the name, they could just as easily changed ( downgraded) the benefits.

It took me 10 years to become Elite, as we don't live near ports, so the majority of our cruises are 2 week ones. We cannot take 3/4 nighters.

I really enjoy the benefits that I have earned and an grateful to Celebrity and my loyalty is with them, now and in the future.

I applaud Celebrity that they did not downgraded the benefits and as you state you earned the benefits plain and simple.

For me it is just the tone of "I am Elite" that can create a negative view on Celebrity by new cruisers reading the forums. And on the Celebrity board there is much more discussion on reaching a loyalty level than any other board.

I think you are making too much of this word. I think X cruisers know it is only about rewards for loyalty, not some false superiority.

I do think that some Elite cruisers, although of course not all, are quite taken with themselves and their status. And these are the same cruisers who work it into their posts whenever possible. Mentioning your loyalty status is of course fine in a discussion about the benefits, your experience while on the ship, and so on. It really doesn't need to be included in posts about other topics.

`

I do think that some Elite cruisers, although of course not all, are quite taken with themselves and their status. And these are the same cruisers who work it into their posts whenever possible. Mentioning your loyalty status is of course fine in a discussion about the benefits, your experience while on the ship, and so on. It really doesn't need to be included in posts about other topics.

Not sure I understand your sensitivity to X's choice of loyalty distinction. It's been my experience that when folks refer to their loyalty status, it has less to do with entitlement and/or boasting (as you suggest) and more to do with acknowledging their level of experience and familiarity with the X product. Notwithstanding, surely you don't think changing "Elite" to "Four Star," "Gold," "Really Loyal" (as opposed to say, "Really, Really Loyal") or "Nice Folks Who Have Cruised With Us Somewhere Between Twelve and Forty Times" is going to make a difference. Those who feel entitled based solely on their loyalty status will feel that way regardless of the nomenclature. Change Elite to Four Star and you'll find some Five Star guests with an entitlement mindset; change it to Gold and you may be put off by an air of superiority of some of those designated as Platinum. If you sense entitlement and or superiority, it's the people not the word X chooses to indicate the loyalty status they've attained.

Edited by lysolqn

`

.....It's been my experience that when folks refer to their loyalty status, it has less to do with entitlement and/or boasting (as you suggest) and more to do with acknowledging their level of experience and familiarity with the X product. ......

In a roll call, especially a large one, I like to know who the Elite posters are so that I can look for them during the Happy Hour. Never in a million years did it dawn on me that "some" may think that it's anything nasty. :)

Princess, which is a far bigger line than Celebrity, also named it's top tier "Elite", yet for some reason I don't recall reading nearly as many (any?) threads on their chat board that go-on-and-on-and-on about the insecurity of some towards the name. :confused:

I agree.

Is it also possible that there is a lot of discussion because of the "new" benefit program on Celebrity?

[

What is your take on Elite Plus?

I personally think Elite plus was a stupid designation.

It probably comes from Diamond+ on RCCL.

Too bad someone couldn't have used a little imagination and come up with an entirely new name for that level as they did for Zenith.

Just a thought on all of this controversy. I think (at least I HOPE) that many times someone refers to themselves as Elite in an answer to a question about how things happen on the cruiseline.

They are saying "I can answer you because I speak from experience, not hearsay."

`

Not sure I understand your sensitivity to X's choice of loyalty distinction. It's been my experience that when folks refer to their loyalty status, it has less to do with entitlement and/or boasting (as you suggest) and more to do with acknowledging their level of experience and familiarity with the X product. Notwithstanding, surely you don't think changing "Elite" to "Four Star," "Gold," "Really Loyal" (as opposed to say, "Really, Really Loyal") or "Nice Folks Who Have Cruised With Us Somewhere Between Twelve and Forty Times" is going to make a difference. Those who feel entitled based solely on their loyalty status will feel that way regardless of the nomenclature. Change Elite to Four Star and you'll find some Five Star guests with an entitlement mindset; change it to Gold and you may be put off by an air of superiority of some of those designated as Platinum. If you sense entitlement and or superiority, it's the people not the word X chooses to indicate the loyalty status they've attained.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...

Good post. It matters little to me what it is called, and the few who use their status to boast would be just as likely to do so whether it be Diamond, Gold or Really, Really Loyal (Like! :) )

BTW, I do tend to agree with cynbar that there is a small number of posters who work their level into posts, even when totally irrelevant to the topic. This example is from a current thread discussing chikungunya fever in St. Martin that I was just reading:

this link is to the map of where CDC shows cases......by googling, there are links to other items..but mostly all the same info.

we are committed to our Nov. cruise, so we can move up to Elite Plus, and will monitor any news of cases in other ports... when in doubt we'll just enjoy being on the ship!

I think you (and others who are offended by the word "Elite") should lighten up. It's only a name of a category, for goodness' sake!

The only entitlement is to the offered perks.

Now I am Elite Plus! How does that sound? It really makes me smile. Where else in my life could I profess to being Elite Plus!!!!

Have fun with it!

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...

Good post. It matters little to me what it is called, and the few who use their status to boast would be just as likely to do so whether it be Diamond, Gold or Really, Really Loyal (Like! :) )

BTW, I do tend to agree with cynbar that there is a small number of posters who work their level into posts, even when totally irrelevant to the topic. This example is from a current thread discussing chikungunya fever in St. Martin that I was just reading:

I was thinking the same thing. Imagine if you will, that the Captain's Club tiers were called 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. There would be some on here that would have in every post "I'm a 5", so basically it doesn't matter what the name is, those that want to throw it around to think they are more important, in their own mind, will do it no matter what it is called.

And for the post you quoted about St. Martin. Why not just say, we are committed to our cruise, because we love cruising and wouldn't cancel for any reason. Striving to Elite+ really didn't have anything to do with the conversation, other than the poster letting people know that (1) they are chasing points and (2) they will be Elite+ soon.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Naming of the tiers...That ship sailed eons ago..

We are just happy that they have announced the changes and do not hear too many negatives.

Not too many negatives??.... You must be reading another board:D. The embers are still smoldering form the "I was wronged" crowd!

As far as "Elite" goes, it's just a name. I don't see anything wrong with it.

In a roll call, especially a large one, I like to know who the Elite posters are so that I can look for them during the Happy Hour. Never in a million years did it dawn on me that "some" may think that it's anything nasty. :)

My thinking has always been the same. When I made up a chart of Elites/Diamonds on the rollcall it was to help others recognize them during Happy Hour.

"Honi soit qui mal y pense"

loosely meaning: "Shamed be he who thinks evil of it.

I just can't understand all the people who are obsessed with finding fault with being identified as an elite Celebrity cruiser, a cruiser who loves the brand and is identified as cruising more on X than others who don't.

Sure some people flout their status or their city that they're from or the college they attended. Their will always be braggarts. One does not have to develop an inferiority complex around a word that is here to stay.

[

What is your take on Elite Plus?

To answer this there are 2 points:

1. I am in favor of the extra levels. In my opinion to reach Elite was ridiculously easy. 10 short cruises in an inside cabin and you reached the top tier.

2. The name is a little strange in the sense of meaning. You can add plus but that does not make it more important than the word Elite already defines.

On a marketing perspective they could have done much better.

To be clear, I am not Elite or have a high loyalty level on any cruise line. My priority is the right itinerary and the right opportunity at the right moment. We have cruised around 15 times (mostly longer cruises) with a mixed bag of cruise lines.

Next one is on Celebrity though :)

TBN Hubby here.

Uhhhhh. Folks, really....

It it is a for-profit company's program for THEM to make more money by getting that money from YOU, and making you think that THEY are giving you a gift. (Lookey here, y'all! I spent 1/2 million and they gave me this great key chain and a chocolate mint! Yeaa!!!!)

Don't get me wrong, we use the internet minutes, dry-cleaning, laundry, and pressing on almost every trip and we appreciate those. The drink coupons are nice when those are offered, although we rarely attend the functions. But, to me and DW, cruising for the 'points' means you have swallowed the bait H,L, & S. If, on the other hand, you like to cruise and you find yourself in some cruise loyalty program tier that gives you benefits you like, then great.

I well remember the big deal (pins, gifts, Concierge) when we became Diamond on RCCL (because of our many cruises on =X=), only to have the program change to substantially fewer benefits after two cruises as the then coveted 'Diamond'. Still cruise on RCCL if it goes where we want when we want for the right price.

We are probably close to 'Elite Plus'. Why do I say probably? Because I got the info sent to us by =X= and saw we are still Elite at some point level and then forgot about it. Will definitely go on Celebrity again soon because it is our favorite cruise line -- all other things being equal, which they rarely are. If I want to go to Bonaire, probably not going on Celebrity. If I want to go to Colombia, probably not Celebrity... You get the idea.

BTW if you are on these boards discussing, (complaining, whining?) about your status in a cruise loyalty program you probably really are 'elite' from the standpoint of the world's population. Don't believe that? Then you have only to look beyond the pretty beaches on your next cruise. Better yet go to, say, Nicaragua and work for a couple of years (yes, I did) and see why you (we) really among the elite.

Rich people's problems?

Soap box is now closed :)

Edited by tinybabynurse

I think you (and others who are offended by the word "Elite") should lighten up. It's only a name of a category' date=' for goodness' sake!

The only entitlement is to the offered perks.

Now I am Elite Plus! How does that sound? It really makes me smile. Where else in my life could I profess to being Elite Plus!!!!

Have fun with it![/quote']

I was waiting for such a reply. You are a clear example of why I started this thread especially with that last sentence.