When is an Upsell a Good Deal?

innlady1

We're doing two cruises end of the month...b2b...but on 2 ships...Maasdam to Noordam. Since we booked a verandah on the TA last fall...and have another booked on the Noordam TA in October, I did insides on these winter cruises.

Yesterday, I had an upsell offer of $529 pp to go from an Inside L to a Lanai. I took it as we've always wanted to try a lanai.

Today, our TA called with an upsell on the Noordam...from a J Inside to a C Outside. For $100 something. Reason being the J's are so large...I saw Ruth's once on the Noordam and it was amazing.

We'll be on the Maasdam when upsells to the verandas come out...so I told her to grab one at $300 or less pp. I'm not worried...she knows where we like to be on the ship.

Fair???

To me, an upsell is a good deal when it gets you a cabin you would like to have at a price you want to pay.

Personally, I would not pay almost $1100 to go from an "L" category to a lanai on a 7-day cruise (is that the length of the Maasdam cruise?). I probably wouldn't want to pay it on a 14-day cruise, either. The lanai cabin is just too small for my taste.

I would give up the J-cabin on the Noordam (I assume it's a Main Deck cabin, as you referred to seeing mine) for an outside at that price. The window is nice, and the cabin is still a pretty good size.

Maasdam is 11 day. Noordam is 10. I thought the lanai was a bit steep, too, but we've always wanted to try one. That Bermuda cruise I had booked...that you were on...we booked a lanai before cancelling the cruise.

We had a lanai on the Maasdam and really enjoyed it. So much so that we took a lanai again on our upcoming cruise on the Veendam over a verandah. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Yes, it is smaller and that was a concern but after 44 years together we have learned how to dance around each other.

It is a little late to do this.

But I always tell people to write down the prices of the cabin categories above what they booked as a guarantee. I know -- that could be a lot of work. But when an upsell offer comes along, you can decide if it is worth it.

You will have to let us know what you think about the lanai cabin when you return.

Or are you going to do a "Live" report?

We had a lanai on the Maasdam and really enjoyed it. So much so that we took a lanai again on our upcoming cruise on the Veendam over a verandah. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Yes, it is smaller and that was a concern but after 44 years together we have learned how to dance around each other.

Love it!!

But I always tell people to write down the prices of the cabin categories above what they booked as a guarantee. I know -- that could be a lot of work. But when an upsell offer comes along, you can decide if it is worth it.

You will have to let us know what you think about the lanai cabin when you return.

I will do that in the future, KK. Thanks for the advice. I may do a Live report...depends if my netbook is cooperating.

Good advice..

If only I can remember on the next booking :)

Srpilo

Maasdam is 11 day. Noordam is 10. I thought the lanai was a bit steep, too, but we've always wanted to try one. That Bermuda cruise I had booked...that you were on...we booked a lanai before cancelling the cruise.

For cruises of that length, I think the upsell is worth that amount of money for each but only you can make that decision. It only matters how much it is worth to you.

You'll have a wonderful time no matter which cabin but I think you made a good choice for Maasdam. It'll be interesting to see what develops for Noordam.

I, too, hope you'll do a 'live from'. Those are our two favorite ships. :)

As usual, excellent advice, KK.

I know it's a little off topic but.....can you access your lanai when locked (such a taking a walk around the deck) from the deck or do you have to use the hallway?

I heard that you can only access the room from the deck with your key card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's the difference between a J and a K ?

The simple answer is location. But there's more to the story than that.

The two categories are basically the same on the S- & R-class ships. There are a couple of cabins that are configured differently, but otherwise, it's location.

Now, when you get to the Vista/Signature ships, there are major variances within J-cabins, and also within K-cabins.

Those J- & K-cabins on Main Deck are very large, and the same as each other---except for location on the deck.

The J- & K-cabins on the other decks, are referred to as "large", but they are much smaller than the same category on Main Deck.

So, within the same category, there is a major difference in size.

Does that come out clear?

I know it's a little off topic but.....can you access your lanai when locked (such a taking a walk around the deck) from the deck or do you have to use the hallway?

Yes; you'll get a separate/different key card upon check-in to access your cabin from the walkaround Deck

Edited by Copper10-8

Apparently there's a separate key card for the door to the Promenade Deck. At least that's what I recall reading a few years ago when they were first developed.

The two categories are basically the same on the S- & R-class ships. There are a couple of cabins that are configured differently, but otherwise, it's location.

Now, when you get to the Vista/Signature ships, there are major variances within J-cabins, and also within K-cabins.

Those J- & K-cabins on Main Deck are very large, and the same as each other---except for location on the deck.

The J- & K-cabins on the other decks, are referred to as "large", but they are much smaller than the same category on Main Deck.

Yes. My J on the Noordam is on the Main Deck...near the Shore Excursion Office. The K's on Main Deck are aft. I almost booked one of those as we like to be near the aft elevators. On every ship. We don't always do the shows but we ALWAYS eat and aft we were close to the Lido and the MDR.

Ruth is correct in my book: "To me, an upsell is a good deal when it gets you a cabin you would like to have at a price you want to pay."; and I like what KK said, too, with regard to writing down the prices when first booked. I also think about how many free upgrades HAL has offered me, whether I truly enjoyed my last HAL cruise, what my budget can afford, and whether or not the cruise is to celebrate something extra special, such as a major anniversary or birthday. There are lots of factors besides real estate and price. In other words, there is no formula!!

Thanks for explaining this RuthC. When you say large on the main deck for those cabins. Do u happen to know the square footage ? Just curious.

Sheila, we were in a lanai twice on Maasdam. At night, we had to take the scooter outside on the deck and bring it in through the deck door and repeat the process in the AM. If you want to get to the bathroom, there's no place for the scooter in the front of the cabin.

Thanks for explaining this RuthC. When you say large on the main deck for those cabins. Do u happen to know the square footage ? Just curious.

Those J and K cabins on Main Deck vary between 194 Sq Ft to 207 Sq Ft. Not sure why some are slightly smaller but cabins such as 1025, 1028, 1031 and 1037 are all 207 sq ft.