1st Cruise - restaurant dress - what to believe??

DaveHMD

We are preparing for our first cruise (Alaska) and are confused by conflicting information. Pacific Princess has two special dining restaurants, Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse.

Under an on-line description of Sabatini's, it says, "Dress: We suggest formal dress attire".

Sterling Steakhouse is written as smart casual attire except on formal nights.

How accurate are these descriptions? - we enjoy fine dining, but formal dress for an Italian restaurant is not in our life-style.

We are preparing for our first cruise (Alaska) and are confused by conflicting information. Pacific Princess has two special dining restaurants, Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse.

Under an on-line description of Sabatini's, it says, "Dress: We suggest formal dress attire".

Sterling Steakhouse is written as smart casual attire except on formal nights.

How accurate are these descriptions? - we enjoy fine dining, but formal dress for an Italian restaurant is not in our life-style.

The specialty restaurants are formal only on formal nights.

Also, keep in mind that Sabatini's is not a "red sauce" Italian restaurant. It's not where you are going to get a plate of spaghetti and meatballs.

What exactly does that have to do with the fact that all Princess specialty restaurants are smart casual every night?

Take the comment for what it's worth. It's not a neighbor spaghetti and meatball type of place. It's more upscale Italian and spaghetti and meatballs is not the main feature of the menu. This is also the Pacific Princess we are talking about. A bit more dressy.

Take the comment for what it's worth. It's not a neighbor spaghetti and meatball type of place. It's more upscale Italian and spaghetti and meatballs is not the main feature of the menu. This is also the Pacific Princess we are talking about. A bit more dressy.

It doesn't change the dress code. Crown Grill isn't Outback either, but it's still casual every night

Thanks for the replies - will bring more than one sport jacket and no tux.

Smart move, especially for Alaska -- but just one sport jacket may be enough, if you want to travel light. No one will know or care if you wear the same one more than once.

It doesn't change the dress code. Crown Grill isn't Outback either, but it's still casual every night

It's not what you say it's how you say it. Just a shame you are not a bit nicer at times.

Haven't been on any of the "small ships," but from what I understand the specialty restaurants across the fleet have a "smart casual" dress code. We went to Sabatinis on a non-formal night, and it did seem the diners did look a little more dressy than casual. Even the teens there (my daughter and the teens at another table) spiffied up.

Maybe the info the OP was looking at was from some years ago?

What exactly does that have to do with the fact that all Princess specialty restaurants are smart casual every night?

If the OP is new to Princess, they might see Italian restaurant and think red sauce italian, for which I agree, I wouldn't want to dress formally. Just pointing out that Sabatini's is a different experience.

You don't even need to wear a sport coat for the specialty restaurants if you don't want too:D.

When I retired I decided after years of having to wear a suit, no more formal for me. I now have take 17 cruises and never take a suit or sport coat. Specialty restaurant most formal nights, buffet a few times and stay relaxed the entire cruise. To each his own, but not necessary to be formal if you prefer not to.

The dress in the specialty restaurants is smart casual, even on formal nights.

My experience is that since it's a special meal that you're paying extra for, people tend to dress nicer than smart casual. I remember one formal night when I went to the Bayou Cafe in linen pants and a nice, bright top and felt very under-dressed because most of the men were in suits and the women were in black/dark pants and sparkling tops. It's not usually that way but I rarely see anyone very casual in the restaurants. More like country club casual.

Edited by Pam in CA

As others have said, specialty restaurants do not require formal attire on formal nights. Alaska cruises, in particular, seem to have more casual attire than dressy attire.

But take warm clothes to layer with - don't forget warm gloves, scarves, hats, and raingear, and really good binoculars for each member of your group. Outside of active pursuits (outdoors) it is all about the scenery in the great outdoors and that means dressing for anything momma nature throws at you. Have a bon voyage!!!!