Travel Insurance- anyone changing their mind with in the last week?

eamcclen

Some will reimburse you for the days you are quarantined due to illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I did not know that.

Do they reimburse as a percentage of your cruise fare (like if you miss 2 of 10 days, do you get back 20% of your fare)? If so, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of the insurance, except for maybe in some high-priced cabins.

With the latest outbreak of the norovirus, I'm checking on prices/coverage of insurance. I'm thinking its worth it for peace of mind.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Travel insurance would have only the passengers on they Explorer had they had to be removed to go to the hospital and at that the policy would have to have medical insurance coverage. If you were one of the passengers not sick and chose to end your cruise prematurely travel insurance may or may not cover any costs incurred. You need to carefully read the policy before purchasing to fully understand the benefits. So don't understand what peace of mind purchasing travel insurance would give a person in this situation unless of course they canceled before ever going on the ship due to sickness :confused:

Edited by xxoocruiser

Not sure. I believe it is. Never had to use, but I remember reading on another cruise board that someone had been quarantined & used it & was reimbursed. It's one of the reasons I started purchasing it before every cruise. Not really that expensive. I'm paying $45 for insurance from "Insuremytrip" for our entire trip. Cruise & air.

Just checked the other boards & yes, the quarantined person was reimbursed their cruise fare for each day they were quarantined. And if it's a child, 1 parent will also be reimbursed.

Edited by hgon76

Not sure. I believe it is. Never had to use, but I remember reading on another cruise board that someone had been quarantined & used it & was reimbursed. It's one of the reasons I started purchasing it before every cruise. Not really that expensive. I'm paying $45 for insurance from "Insuremytrip" for our entire trip. Cruise & air.

I buy trip insurance for the big stuff, like hospitalization, airlifting (God forbid)

Interesting. I did not know that.

Do they reimburse as a percentage of your cruise fare (like if you miss 2 of 10 days, do you get back 20% of your fare)? If so, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of the insurance, except for maybe in some high-priced cabins.

I (think) that generally the cruise line may give you a future cruise credit for the days you are quarantined. I don't believe the cruise line gives you documentation of quarantine that you can turn into your insurance for reimbursement.

I recently missed 4 days of our cruise in the cabin December because I came down with shingles. There were very few children on our cruise. I wasn't quarantined because it's not very contagious (unless you haven't had chicken pox). I couldn't leave the cabin because I was in too much pain. I did visit shipboard medical for anti-viral treatment....but there is no way to claim it on travel insurance. I can claim the shipboard medical and medications, once my own health insurance has issued a determination.

Some will reimburse you for the days you are quarantined due to illness.

You might be misinterpreting "quarantine." I think it actually means you are "quarantined" at your house or in a hospital due to exposure, for example, to a highly contagious disease and can't make the trip. I don't really think it means "quarantined" on the ship for 2 days.

Insurance would have helped for any extra travel expenses that were incurred by early arrival (change fees, hotels, etc.). Also would have helped if you missed a pre-paid shore excursion that was non-refundable.

I always get insurance, and have used it. But you need to really understand the policy. If you think you'll get reimbursed for being quarantined to your cabin for 2 days due to norovirus, you'd better check with the policy holder before buying.

I suppose I go against the grain as I have never purchased travel insurance for any of my trips. And as long as I sail out of Florida I will continue to not purchase any. The virus has no bearing on that. RCCL goes above and beyond for compensation to passengers in the event something like this happens.

That being said, every cruise I have taken left out of my home state of Florida. Now in the future if/when I leave on a cruise that requires airfare I will be purchasing insurance in case of a delayed or cancelled flight that would cause me to miss the departure and have to catch up at a later port of call.

I (think) that generally the cruise line may give you a future cruise credit for the days you are quarantined. I don't believe the cruise line gives you documentation of quarantine that you can turn into your insurance for reimbursement.

I recently missed 4 days of our cruise in the cabin December because I came down with shingles. There were very few children on our cruise. I wasn't quarantined because it's not very contagious (unless you haven't had chicken pox). I couldn't leave the cabin because I was in too much pain. I did visit shipboard medical for anti-viral treatment....but there is no way to claim it on travel insurance. I can claim the shipboard medical and medications, once my own health insurance has issued a determination.

"Shingles" :eek::eek:..Luckily we have gotten immunized against this very painful viral disease.

I believe that anyone who cruises without travel insurance is taking a huge risk!

Insurance on our homes, lives, cars, health, and cruises is for "just in case." We hope we will never need it but if we do, it is there.

I have used cruise travel insurance twice:

- Once when I had a heart attack just before a cruise and the Doctor told me not to go.

- Once when my former Wife died a few days before a cruise.

Either of these events easily offset the cost of insurance for every cruise I have ever taken or ever will.

Cruise without insurance at your own risk and don't bitch & moan if you end up needing it but didn't pay for it.

Edited by Trainman-2

Everyone will have a differing opinion. But for the cost of insurance ($59 through RCI for my upcoming cruise), I find it a necessity. On my last cruise, my nephew had to visit shipboard medical. His insurance would not cover it due to out of network or some other reason, but I was able to get the money from the trip insurance. What a hefty bill for a minor issue!

There is a lot of time between final payment and sailing...So for less than a cup of coffee for that time frame, I am covered.

The outbreak of noro will not change our standard purchase of travel insurance. We do not purchase for the cruise fare as that is not that much but when you need it. One medical emergency on the EOS was $50K or more including ship medical center, helicopter to hospital, 7 day hospital stay, hotels, meals, flights home. The hospital alone was $14k. Luckily our insurance covers us out of the country where Medicare does not.

Everyone will have a differing opinion. But for the cost of insurance ($59 through RCI for my upcoming cruise), I find it a necessity. On my last cruise, my nephew had to visit shipboard medical. His insurance would not cover it due to out of network or some other reason, but I was able to get the money from the trip insurance. What a hefty bill for a minor issue!

There is a lot of time between final payment and sailing...So for less than a cup of coffee for that time frame, I am covered.

RCL insurance is ok for cancel for any reason, but falls short on coverage.

Also, it does not cover you for pre existing conditions like others do

I have not read any of your replies, but I "always" take out travel insurance for when I fly and cruise. To say the least, it has come in handy in my 25 years of cruising, at least 4 or more times. If I'm just flying, I don't take out insurance.

Thanks for all of the comments. Just purchased insurance for our cruise in March. Now, if I get sick right before the cruise, I can cancel without losing my money. Before I would probably just suck it up and go. Peace of mind.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, you will probably be reinbursed if you get sick, but just remember, you are going to have to have PROOF that you were sick. They will not just take your word, or a family's word. To make the long story short, I wound up in the hospital about a month before I was to leave, and there was no way I could go. I had to send them all kinds of documentations to prove this. It took a few months before I was reinbursed back. They reimbursed me back for the cruise charge, but not the port taxes, etc.

My fiance was quarentined about a year ago for 24 hours. A few days later a packet with documents to provide to our travel insurance was delivered to the room. We didn't have to request it and we didn't have RCCL's insurance we used a third party. We opened a case, sent them the provided docs and they mailed us a check for the 2 days she was sick for both me and her. It was a prorated amount of the total trip cost