Princess Laundry Question

ctemkg

Hi. We decided to give the free laundry benefit that was offered a try for the first time. Since it was the first time and we wanted to see how it worked, we only sent socks and underwear. When they can back, the colored underwear was very faded out. No complaints here, its just underwear... Just curious if anyone knows how they process the wash and what they are using. Maybe some type of bleach?

Before we try sending anything more important like shirts and pants, I would like to know how to avoid any color problems and get the clothes back looking the same, just clean.

Thanks.

We've never had an issue either. I'm sure there are certain fabrics that won't do well in the Princess cleaning process--either the regular laundry or the "dry cleaning" process (it's not really dry cleaning...but close), but we apparently haven't run into any of them yet.

If the items are wrinkled but not dirty we'll just have them pressed.

Another option is to use the self-serve laundry areas. It won't be free, but you'll have more control over how things are washed and dried.

I have often sent shirts of various colors and styles to be laundered. I haven't had any issues, except maybe getting starch in a collar when I requested no starch. Have a good time on your cruise.

Counting down the days to my cruise!

The Princess laundry "wash" is a cleaning process. They do not use hot water. The biggest issue is the dryer and pressing. I've had buttons on shirts that have split and I've had t-shirts that came back shorter than they were, but then I think they would have been shorter if I'd washed and dried at home. I send everything out, rarely have a problem.

We've never had an issue with anything we have sent out ... but we do like at home and do not sent any laundry that requires gentle washing.

Things that we send to the cleaners at home come back just fine from Princess cleaning. :)

LuLu

~~~~

We just returned from a 15-day Hawaii cruise and sent out a lot of laundry. Everything was returned in good order, with no problems at all. My husband sent out his tuxedo as well.

I don't send out hand washables, but everything that I wash at home seems to work well. It's a great benefit on longer cruises, you can pack less.

The Princess laundry "wash" is a cleaning process. They do not use hot water. The biggest issue is the dryer and pressing. I've had buttons on shirts that have split and I've had t-shirts that came back shorter than they were, but then I think they would have been shorter if I'd washed and dried at home. I send everything out, rarely have a problem.

Pam, you are right. We have sent out underwear to tuxedo and dress shirts with good results. ;) They do their best and we appreciate the service because it helps us limit what we take! :D (Almost!)

Oh, by the way, we find laundry tags up to two or three months after a cruise. They stick those little suckers everywhere and where you least expect them~!~! :D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling
additions

..............................SNIP..................

Oh, by the way, we find laundry tags up to two or three months after a cruise. They stick those little suckers everywhere and where you least expect them~!~! :D

I do too! I usually find them when I feel something scratching me. Most of the time the articles have been washed a few times which is amazing.

I do too! I usually find them when I feel something scratching me. Most of the time the articles have been washed a few times which is amazing.

After 2 or 3 months they have been washed quite a few time. So obviously, I don't pay a lot of attention, or I am blind! :( Who knows? :confused: My wife and I laugh every time we find one!

But they are a reminder of a great cruise! :D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Do you think the laundry is organized enough to where we can ask, for example, that they wash our shirts and just put them on hangers to dry on the line in the cabin shower? Basically, so they are not put in the dryer.

Do you think the laundry is organized enough to where we can ask, for example, that they wash our shirts and just put them on hangers to dry on the line in the cabin shower? Basically, so they are not put in the dryer.

Not a chance it is too large a business in the bowels of the ship to do special things like that you would do better to use the self service laundry One on each floor Take the 25 cent coins with you

However I add to those above I even sent satin nightdresses and DH tuxedo and have no problems The only thing we noticed on a cruise with over half the cruisers being elite and using the free laundry the sox and pants came back unsorted and crumpled but clean where usually they would be folded and pressed. I did not mind under those circumstances

Edited by windsor26

We were told that hand dry requests can not be honored, and I doubt they would return wet laundry to you.

We have had good luck with our pseudo-dry cleaning submissions, but have had several laundry items ruined over time (as have several other hardcore cruisers we've talked with). My advice is that if the item is irreplaceable, don't send it.

This thread reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask:

A few years ago we were on a longer cruise where Princess offered on one or two days to launder all we could stuff into one of their bags for $20. Do they still do that?

We have had items from the laundry come back with small holes in them, or stretched out - for instance my long sleeve T-shirt tops come back with the waistband all stretched out because they put it on a form to press and the form is wider at the waist than I am! We now only send hubby's underwear and socks and do the rest of our laundry ourselves at the coin operated laundromat down the hall. Everyone who says they have no problems, that's great! We've had problems at least three times, then gave up.