Cabin Category changes and Goldstein's Response

orville99

I am far from a Royal fanatic, and will be the first to share my opinions with what I am not happy about.

Having said that, I want to shake Adam Goldstein's hand for that response! The OP's email is nothing but a litany of complaints, all VERY jaded (I don't like that I can't smoke, I don't like new ships, I don't like specialty restaurants....).

Sometimes, you encounter a customer who is decidedly unhappy, and you can take a step back, look at the situation and realize that he or she is simply going to be unhappy no matter what you do. Realizing that is a GREAT skill in customer service and leadership.

The OP seems to be unhappy with most of what Royal Caribbean has done in recent years. Furthermore, by the tone in the email, I would consider him or her to be somewhat of a malcontent. I mean, really, the OP wasn't even ASKING a question, but rather making an assertive declaration.

As a result, the response of 'We think we're doing a damn good job, and our customer ratings seem to confirm that. We'll continue to strive to improve, but clearly we are not going to satisfy you. So good luck and happy cruising elsewhere'.

As for a new policy about not being able to book cabins without a certain number of people... DUH! It's RCI's ship to book. They are going to ensure they maximize their revenue. Why would they want to give up a cabin that is more appealing to three or four people and risk losing them because a solo or couple is tying up that cabin, when there are plenty of other doubles available? Want more room, or a better location? Fine! Pay for it! That's why they sell all variety of staterooms, from interiors to Royal Suites.

You get what you pay for, and NO ONE is requiring you to cruise.

But if they let every couple who wants to book cabins that can accommodate 3 or 4 early in the booking cycle that could shut out people who need a cabin for 3 or 4. It is a little like only letting people without handicaps book accessible cabins only after a certain date. I can understand what they are trying to accomplish here. It does makes sense.

Is there some reason why we always agree? ;):D

I did not like Adam reply but in his defense and I am sure he does not need it you basically gave him a laundry list of what you did not like even though you wrote you were still loyal to RCL but you ended up saying you will look at other alternatives what did you want him to say?

I can understand why RCL is doing this since they are more targeted to families which maximizes their revenue but I can see where this would anger people who like a certain cabin in a location they desire and being told they can no longer book it..

But if they let every couple who wants to book cabins that can accommodate 3 or 4 early in the booking cycle that could shut out people who need a cabin for 3 or 4. It is a little like only letting people without handicaps book accessible cabins only after a certain date. I can understand what they are trying to accomplish here. It does makes sense.

I agree too. [i also agree often with OB too:o]

I'm wondering why it took them so long.

When booking a land based resort-I've never chosen my exact room. I choose type of room, number in that room and general area but never exact room number.

I would not have addressed my email as the OP did but I'm surprised at Adams response and tone. I do think he could have been a little more professional. He has some big ships to fill with more on the way. Why tick off your repeat guests for voicing their displeasure?

Does anyone know if the other lines like HAL, Princess, NCL or Carnival have this same structure? If so then RCI may just be following the pack.

I think the response would have been quite different if the OP and created a list of why he likes sailing with RCI while pointing out his disappointment with the booking policy.

Today things were pretty hectic in the office I had a new patient that was very sarcastic and rude when I walked into the room because he had been waiting a bit. And believe me we try very hard to run on time but the weather here has created havoc with getting people in. I simply was not in the mood for the attitude and told him that since he was clearly unhappy with me and I was most clearly unhappy with his attitude that he needed to find a new doctor. And that was the end of that. Sometimes it is better to just cut someone loose.

Just so we're all on the same page, let's make sure we understand (based on the email) exactly WHO the OP is:

The OP:

-Is unhappy they cut back on stateroom amenities (what amenities, I'm not sure).

-Thinks the food is bad.

-Doesn't think the service in the dining room is any good.

-Doesn't like specialty restaurants.

-Longs for a pen and pad of paper (granted, this used to be the HIGHLIGHT of my vacation too).

-Doesn't like the loyalty program.

-Objects to smoking restrictions (because evidently cruise ships should be immune to the trend we are seeing in every other facet of society).

-Doesn't like ships to get "bigger" or "more elaborate" (nothing will ever have more "wow" than Song of Norway!).

Sounds like a fun table mate!:eek:

I think the response would have been quite different if the OP and created a list of why he likes sailing with RCI while pointing out his disappointment with the booking policy.

Today things were pretty hectic in the office I had a new patient that was very sarcastic and rude when I walked into the room because he had been waiting a bit. And believe me we try very hard to run on time but the weather here has created havoc with getting people in. I simply was not in the mood for the attitude and told him that since he was clearly unhappy with me and I was most clearly unhappy with his attitude that he needed to find a new doctor. And that was the end of that. Sometimes it is better to just cut someone loose.

He's probably on a "DoctorCritic" forum writing about how awful you are right now as we type here! :D

I agree too. [i also agree often with OB too:o]

I'm wondering why it took them so long.

When booking a land based resort-I've never chosen my exact room. I choose type of room, number in that room and general area but never exact room number.

There are some people on these boards who I would just love to get on the same ship and sailing with me.

If I want to book an aft or hump D1, I can no longer do that, because those are restricted to 3-4 passenger bookings. I can book a JS with a sofa bed for $400-$500 more per person right next to a D1, but not the D1.

just looked at 2 different ship classes and D1's are not restricted. What ship/date are you having issue with?

I guess I don't understand what kind of response you were looking for?

seriously?

lots of these responses are from the folks who have drank the RCI kool-aid.. if RCI (their bff adam) told them they had to sweep the deck they would bring their own broom.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Just to put my 2 cents in: I cruised on RCI Song of America 30 years ago for my honeymoon in an inside cabin and spent more then the Junior Suite I had last year on the Navigator of the Seas. Royal has done a great job keeping prices down by taking the chocolates and pen & paper. ( who are you writing to anyway?)

Still have a great vacation and on new ships always have a WOW factor!

Just to put my 2 cents in: I cruised on RCI Song of America 30 years ago for my honeymoon in an inside cabin and spent more then the Junior Suite I had last year on the Navigator of the Seas. Royal has done a great job keeping prices down by taking the chocolates and pen & paper. ( who are you writing to anyway?)

Still have a great vacation and on new ships always have a WOW factor!

Mostly to my cabin steward.

Mostly to my cabin steward.

Exactly- now I bring a white board and use it for messages, and my last CA wrote some funny messages back:p

I sneak the "tiny" pencil from the first trivia game back to my cabin for corresponding :o

I noticed the pen missing, and I did lament it for a moment. I either ask nicely for one (and my CA always accommodates me!) or bring one onboard.

I'm with 4 cats- I've been cruising since 1993 and I think they've done a good job keeping prices low while everything around us is getting more expensive. I'm hardly a cheerleader and quick to point out where things don't go right, but I can't really argue with the direction they wish to take, either love it or leave it, it's their company and my dollars; we each get to do what wish with what is ours!

Exactly! From someone who needs a cabin more than two passengers, I am glad they are making the change.

As to the response from AG, it was a bit harsh but the way the original e-mail was worded...I kind of don't blame him.

There is no question that there is a large market for people who would pay a little extra for higher service and standards, but none of the cruise lines is prepared to offer this, a clear sign of a non-competitive colluding market.

I think you right about that, but it also puts me in mind of Carnival's Faster to the Fun program, which was/is (don't even know if they still do it) an extra charge of $50 for the stateroom which allowed earlier boarding and a special phone number if you had problems and one or two more things. Perhaps there is a middle ground somewhere for big cruise lines with respect to these little extras and perqs and not just the broader stateroom categories. Food for thought.

I have several things come to mind when reading the original post.

-Intead of essentially saying "thanks for making us try other lines", you probably should have made a suggestion as to how they could improve their new policy.

-Adam's email does not come across as professional. It sounds almost rude. Not good. That being said, you did come across frivolous.

-Hes probably going to have to change his email because of all of the emails he gets flooded with from minor complaints and suggestions from the CC community (I'm not saying this about you, just in general. I see his email address posted in response to just about everything on here). There's a customer service hierarchy for a reason, not every correspondence needs to go to the CEO.