Wearing disposable gloves at the buffet

SAM527

I've been looking through threads and didn't find a discussion on this and was wondering if anyone has ever worn disposable gloves to serve themselves at the buffet or anywhere else on the ship? I've never done this or saw anyone else in my travels but thought it might be a good idea, even if it gives someone peace of mind.

I thought about it on our last cruise when we were at the buffet and there was a woman serving herself and then she went walking around to find the people she was with still with the tongs in her hand. It made me think after that, who knows where the tongs ended up and who knows where her hands were.:eek:

• Like 1

I've been looking through threads and didn't find a discussion on this and was wondering if anyone has ever worn disposable gloves to serve themselves at the buffet or anywhere else on the ship? I've never done this or saw anyone else in my travels but thought it might be a good idea, even if it gives someone peace of mind.

I thought about it on our last cruise when we were at the buffet and there was a woman serving herself and then she went walking around to find the people she was with still with the tongs in her hand. It made me think after that, who knows where the tongs ended up and who knows where her hands were.:eek:

If it increases your level of comfort, do it. Pay no attention to whats about to come on this thread.

Geesh... My DW looks at my funny everytime I wrap a paper napkin around the salt and pepper shakers when we eat at a restaurant. She says I'm going overboard (no pun intended).

I don't think I would use Disposable gloves or a hazmat suit to eat at the buffet.

After all the big noise from norovirus this winter, I'd think more people would consider something like wearing latex gloves at the buffet.

Thing is though, you will still touch stairway railings, elevator buttons, doors, table tops, etc... Wearing disposable gloves the entire cruise would be completely ridiculous. My previous cruise I frequently washed my hands and used sanitizers. It didn't prevent me from getting a cold and I'm willing to bet gloves won't stop the spread of illness either. I just considered myself "unlucky."

I brought disposable gloves on my November cruise, my family thought I was crazy, but they think that anyway and it made me feel better, lots of germs on those serving utensils and hand sanitizer doesn't protect against noro

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

Not so sure how wearing disposable gloves will help with what someone else has already done in the buffet. The tongs have already been touched by many and have probably fallen in the foods several times. :rolleyes:

We make an effort to avoid "self serve" buffets whenever possible.

LuLu

~~~

If it makes you feel comfortable, go for it! The CDC link specifically says that hand sanitizers are not to be used as substitutes for hand-washing, and if you take the time to wash your hands after going through the line, your food might get cold or one of the staff might bus your tray!

The gloves could help, as well, since they will at least protect you from what might be on the handle end of the serving utensils. They won't, of course, protect you from what might be on the end of the utensil that touches the food, etc.

I wash my hands a LOT anyway, and moreso if I'm in an environment like a cruise ship, airport, theme park, etc. I push buttons and open doors with my elbow if possible and open bathroom doors with a paper towel. Haven't gotten noro yet...touch wood!

Geesh... My DW looks at my funny everytime I wrap a paper napkin around the salt and pepper shakers when we eat at a restaurant. She says I'm going overboard (no pun intended).

I like to wrap a napkin around salt & pepper shakers as well.

While I'm not totally nutty about avoiding germs, those Salt & Pepper shakers often feel sticky & nasty. :o

LuLu

~~~~

I have a healthy immune system, and work at keeping it that way. I absolutely refuse to be paranoid about germs. They are everywhere! You cannot avoid them unless you live in a bubble, and last time I checked, you can't sail in a bubble. ;) I take my chances, and should I get sick, I will deal with it. 10 cruises and I have only been sick once. I must have been exposed prior to the cruise as it hit me the morning of the first sea day.

That being said, if you feel the need to use rubber gloves at the buffet, go for it. It won't affect my enjoyment one bit. :)

Wearing latex gloves,using tissues to open doors, hitting elevator buttons with elbows! Wow you guys are certainly precautions, get on with your lives, you can take all these precautions then touch a bar mat/beer glass/table on the way into the restraunt, you only live once, jeez. Lol

Okay, I know I'm going to jinx myself and probably get the dreaded "NORO" on my next cruise...but...I have cruised and traveled all over the world since I was a child and I have never, ever, ever, gotten sick on a cruise, not ever. Having said that...if it makes you feel better, do what you feel you need to. I do wash my hands a lot and use hand sanitizers before every meal. As a matter of fact, the first thing I do after I sit down for a meal and put my napkin on my lap is sanitize my hands. But really, if you think about it...I then have to use my utensils, drink out of glasses, and eat off of plates...so does it really help...I don't know but I haven't every gotten sick. The DH and DS call me "Howard Hughes." LOL! But...guess what...both the DH and DS HAVE gotten sick on cruises!:eek: So there!

Edited by mousey

I know someone who has OCD and brings his own utensils to restaurants.

He is eating off the plates that his food is served on, isn't he? He is drinking his beverage from their glassware. Does he not consider these things? Honestly, one of the biggest things that can get you sick in a restaurant is food-borne illnesses from food that has been improperly handled (by employees who have not properly washed their hands after using the restroom or by food that has not been stored properly). Bringing his own utensils will not help him in these instances.

I do understand, however, that the bringing of his own utensils may be for his own comfort/peace of mind rather than any tangible benefit.

Some funny comments but seriously, no OCD here but when I got sick on my second cruise on the Valor and was quarantined to my cabin for 2 days, after that I started to pay more attention to the people I'm stuck with in a confined space for a week. I do bring with me Gold Bond hand sanitizer and Lysol hand soap which is better than what's on the ship and I do use that too.

It was just a thought I had about the gloves and not to wear them all the time, but if everyone took a couple of extra steps and washed their hands and used a sanitizer then everyone could have an enjoyable trip.:)

I wash my hands. I make my kids wash theirs. Actually, I don't even have to make them, as they know to automatically do it.

At some point in time, we'll come in contact with germs. I don't live in a bubble. I don't care to wear latex gloves to serve myself. I'd prefer that my fellow cruiser would wash their hands, and make sure their kids wash theirs. Beyond that, I cannot control anything else.

I do, however, speak up if I see something...if I saw that woman walking around with tongs and then she returned them, I'd say something. I caught a kid one time digging in some food (not on a cruise) and I made sure the employee removed it from the line.

Please don't try to make us live in a bubble.

All snarky comments aside, I see no issues with people taking safeguards such as gloves to protect themselves and others at the buffet from germs. If everyone would be considerate of each other there would be far less illnesses on cruise ships.

I wash my hands every time I leave the cabin when cruising and anytime before I touch food. I am not a huge believer in hand sanitizer either and I am sure most people don't even use it before hitting the buffet line. Handrails, elevator buttons, doorknobs, even menus in the dining rooms, are huge germ factories.

So, while I don't go to the lengths of using gloves at the buffet myself, more power to someone who may feel better about sanitation by using them.

Some funny comments but seriously, no OCD here but when I got sick on my second cruise on the Valor and was quarantined to my cabin for 2 days, after that I started to pay more attention to the people I'm stuck with in a confined space for a week. I do bring with me Gold Bond hand sanitizer and Lysol hand soap which is better than what's on the ship and I do use that too.

It was just a thought I had about the gloves and not to wear them all the time, but if everyone took a couple of extra steps and washed their hands and used a sanitizer then everyone could have an enjoyable trip.:)

Regarding the bit I highlighted in red: I agree 100%, but there are far too many people who won't properly wash their hands. So, since I know that I cannot control what others do, I stick to some strict practices of my own. When leaving my cabin, I first wash my hands extremely well to create a baseline. Then, once in public space, I minimize the use of my fingertips. Doors on cruise ships seem often to be opened by levers rather than knobs, so I use my pinky finger only. Another thing I do is that I do not touch my eyes, nose, mouth or ears with my fingertips. I also try not to eat foods that do not require utensils such as sandwiches (not always possible). Someone earlier ridiculed this, but I press elevator buttons with my elbow or knuckle and I touch handrails with my wrist only (not possible for everyone, I realize). In the end, I must trust my immune system. So far, so good in 15 cruises.