Would you friend your Carnival Waiter/Waitress on Facebook?

MoMo07

Although being courteous and friendly should be part of her job it sounds like you two hit it off. Maybe she mentioned facebook for a reason ?

Go for it. She can reject your request if she so choses.

I don't do facebook so I have no friends :p

Those really wanting to know what a cross section thinks about this practice should visit some of the Facebook crew pages. It ain't pretty. It was easier when these group pages were open, but harder now that you must be a member.

My point exactly. I feel that if you friend even one crew member that you like there is no way to stop them from showing all your stuff to other crew members whom you are no friends with. Basically all the FB crewmember friend of yours needs to do is hand them the computer.

There is no real privacy on FB anyway because anyone can be given access to your FB page simply if your FB friend Lets them see it

Long story short about friending crew my answer is a pax is taking a security risk and allowing total strangers access

Edited by Crusin6

• 3 years later...

I would love to find and add my waiter on facebook! We just took the carnival imagination from la to Mexico. Our waiter razvan from romania was amazing! He was very attentive and accommodating. He remembered our names right away and was always there if we needed something! He made the experience much better because of the outstanding services! Mmcgirl2004@yahoo.com if anyone has his facebook or contact!

I would love to find and add my waiter on facebook! We just took the carnival imagination from la to Mexico. Our waiter razvan from romania was amazing! He was very attentive and accommodating. He remembered our names right away and was always there if we needed something! He made the experience much better because of the outstanding services! Mmcgirl2004@yahoo.com if anyone has his facebook or contact!

If you want to friend a crew member on FB or some other social media, go ahead.

I'm the type who forgets my waiter's and cabin steward's names as soon as I get off the ship. I have never wanted to even take a photo with any of the staff, although I do get them as a perk during a B2B or at the Captain's Diamond party.

But because I don't friend a crew member, and not only because I don't even have a FB acct, it's no reason why you shouldn't do it.

Whatever floats your boat!

I had a waitress in the MDR on our recent Carnival Pride trip that I just loved. I know it is her job to be nice, but by the end she felt like a friend. She went above and beyond, did special things for us, confided in us, sought us out during the day on the Lido deck, etc.

She had at one point mentioned that she used facebook to stay in touch with friends and family back home. A very quick search on facebook brought her profile up.

Would it be weird for me to send her a facebook friend request? I do not want to invade her privacy (which I may have already done just by searching for her!!). I mean... there is a reason Carnival doesn't put their last names on their name tag, right? And it is very possible that guests are the last people crew want to friend.

But it would be nice to stay in touch, and to see what ship she is on in the future when I am booking my cruises. Have any of you ever remained friends with crew through social media after your cruise?

Our cabin steward gave us his email so we could send him pictures of us taken together (and he could send to his family) and our waitress gave us her FB name if we wanted to send her a picture we took of her and our waiters.

But, THEY initiated that and we didn't ask. If they didn't ask or volunteer to have you look them up, then I would be wary of doing so.

I disagree, when I go to Hooters the waitress sits down, talks to me and acts like I'm her most important customer in the restaurant. The wife says it's for a better tip. Ya think? :)

I am sure you go to Hooters because the food is so good....right?....sure you do :p

I wouldn't. Seems an odd situation to me - just because someone is pleasant to you when doing their job over a one week period, why would that translate into becoming friends? Do you send friend requests to the cashier at the grocery store, who checks you out every Sunday after shopping? Nope. Same sort of thing here. It isn't the craziest concept I've ever heard of, but I wouldn't consider sending a friend request to someone I met on the ship.

There is no reason to not send a request. The person can simply ignore the request if they want. Now if you are really concerned there are a few things that may tip you off. When you find her on Facebook is her profile private or can you see all of her likes and posts? If you can see everything is public she is likely more open. How many friends does she have? If she has 20 she may only have close friends and family. If there are 200 then she may accept requests from anyone she happens to meet. You really have nothing to lose and you could gain an international friend.

I think it would have been a better idea to ask her when onboard. Being she did mention it a lot, and she didn't suggest you become friends at that time makes me wonder if she didn't want to have her professional life mixed with her personal one.

Part of me thinks it's OK, but the other part feels like it could be a little intrusive.

If you do, just don't be disappointed if she doesn't accept.

I agree with firemanbobswife, other than the part of her that thinks it's ok, (I don't). Like she said, and I think this is the part of the whole situation you should pay close attention to...the girl mentioned to you that she has facebook, BUT she didn't offer to friend you, didn't ask for your info., or ask if you'd like hers. If she wanted to keep in touch, don't you think she would've asked if you had fb too? But let's face it, you want to do it, so chances are you're not going to take advice from anyone who's against it.

Then again, we live in a world where people friend total strangers on fb. Some have over 1,000 fb friends but maybe only 1% of those are actual real, personal friends. People friend people from their past that they never spoke to, but suddenly want to be in touch on fb. People friend people they hated in the past, but now want to know what they're up to and want to show them the same. So with all that craziness, friend request away! Facebook/social media, in many ways, has psychologically altered society in ways I'll never agree with.

I have over 3000 friends. Every person I meet, I feel a connection to, I facebook them. In particular the people at McDonalds, Starbucks, the waitresses at each restaurant I visit. Most think it weird, but I have managed over 3000 stranger request, or I mean friend request. LOL.

What is it with a cruise ship, that people think the employees are special? Maybe their foreign accent? They are just going through their daily lives on the ship, meeting a new group of people every week. Yes, I socialized with many, but after the week is over, the names are just forgotten. Like the lady at the pizza shop. She was always nice, but one day, she moved. Hopefully she found a new pizza shop to work in.

I agree with firemanbobswife, other than the part of her that thinks it's ok, (I don't). Like she said, and I think this is the part of the whole situation you should pay close attention to...the girl mentioned to you that she has facebook, BUT she didn't offer to friend you, didn't ask for your info., or ask if you'd like hers. If she wanted to keep in touch, don't you think she would've asked if you had fb too? But let's face it, you want to do it, so chances are you're not going to take advice from anyone who's against it.

Then again, we live in a world where people friend total strangers on fb. Some have over 1,000 fb friends but maybe only 1% of those are actual real, personal friends. People friend people from their past that they never spoke to, but suddenly want to be in touch on fb. People friend people they hated in the past, but now want to know what they're up to and want to show them the same. So with all that craziness, friend request away! Facebook/social media, in many ways, has psychologically altered society in ways I'll never agree with.

Maybe she did want to be friends on fb, but felt weird asking?

We have kept in contact with a couple of cruise line workers one from RCCL, and one from Carnival. We got to know both of these guys really well asking personal things like; how was your childhood growing up?, what it was like to live in 3rd world country? how many kids? ect... They in return would and could ask us personal questions, we really got to know the two we kept in contact with. I do have a confession to make, both of them were bartenders, and yes we spent a lot of time with them:o. So I say YES the worst thing to happen is they do not except your friend request.

I disagree, when I go to Hooters the waitress sits down, talks to me and acts like I'm her most important customer in the restaurant. The wife says it's for a better tip. Ya think? clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

That's at every Hooters I've ever been to.

You mean she is not sitting there because she likes me:(.

I am friends with two, but we met them on back to back cruises and spoke with them several times every day for the whole trip. We still keep in touch on a regular basis. I feel like on a shorter trip you don't really get to know people as well, so it may be a little more awkward. Friends can be made anywhere. In college, I actually became really good friends with a person who worked at the mall. I think it is more strange to be "friends" with coworkers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't understand bringing back such an old post. No, I wouldn't friend them on fb.

I had a waitress in the MDR on our recent Carnival Pride trip that I just loved. I know it is her job to be nice, but by the end she felt like a friend. She went above and beyond, did special things for us, confided in us, sought us out during the day on the Lido deck, etc.

She had at one point mentioned that she used facebook to stay in touch with friends and family back home. A very quick search on facebook brought her profile up.

Would it be weird for me to send her a facebook friend request? I do not want to invade her privacy (which I may have already done just by searching for her!!). I mean... there is a reason Carnival doesn't put their last names on their name tag, right? And it is very possible that guests are the last people crew want to friend.

But it would be nice to stay in touch, and to see what ship she is on in the future when I am booking my cruises. Have any of you ever remained friends with crew through social media after your cruise?

So what you are saying, now that you have been stalking her, found her, now YOU want to be "friends" ... what are you going to do, find out what ship, dining room, shift cycle, and contract status, so you can go on the same ship, to see / stalk her some more?

Maybe sometimes they want to friend people but are scared they'll be told no. So just try it..friend request once. If they accept then you've gained another pal..if not..oh well you tried...but you have to at least try. Don't let others scare you out of trying to be a friend...

I've become friends with 3 Carnival bartenders on FB and maintained contact with one quite frequently. We even arranged a get together for a few beers in St. Thomas when I sailed on Norwegian Escape by using FB to keep contact.

Maybe she did want to be friends on fb, but felt weird asking?
She didn't feel weird confiding in someone she barely knew. She didn't feel weird seeking out the OP outside of the MDR. She didn't feel weird getting personal with the OP. But asking her to be fb friends was where she drew the line at feeling weird, huh?

I don't understand bringing back such an old post. No, I wouldn't friend them on fb.
Holy cow! I didn't even notice the date on the original post. ;p:')