New York Times discusses what's new on Celebrity ships

SevenSeas70

Reflection was the main topic, but you can get an idea of what the line is aiming for from the interview with someone from the entertainment group. Personally, I was happy to see that no one mentioned "modern luxury." Here's the link: http://nyti.ms/1fvfxAN

YES! A number of different articles on cruising in today's NY Times Travel section. This includes "Prone to Seasickness? Distraction Might Help" with these highlights: "Few things will ruin a cruise faster than feeling seasick. To help prevent motion sickness, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends staying hydrated, curbing alcohol and caffeinated drinks, eating small meals and limiting external stimuli (closing your eyes, lying face down or keeping your eyes on the horizon). And while some experts say that cabins in the middle of the lower deck of a ship may help temper motion sickness, the C.D.C. has reported that 'cabin location on a cruise ship does not appear to influence the likelihood of motion sickness.' "

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/travel/prone-to-seasickness-distraction-might-help.html?ref=travel

Another item in this special cruising section was a graphic titled "Choose Your Own Cruise" that raises good questions for your priorities in order to get matched with the right, best type of cruise.

As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Solstice last month. Our crossing from Australia to NZ was rather "rocky" on the Tasman Sea. Fortunately, I did fine under those conditions. My wife didn't like those conditions much. Check out these postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, etc.

THANKS, SevenSeas70, for your posting! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 43,474 views for this fun posting.

I don't see anything scary in that article? They're just describing an attempt to find creative ways to provide interesting entertainment options. How is that scary? The comment about them charging for entertainment...it seems that it would be logistically difficult given the nature of the entertainment they're describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm in the minority on this board, I'm sure, but I like the changes and can't wait to see them!

I'll join you in the minority. I'm 56 - old to many of you and younger than some of you and I think that the industry has to keep evolving to keep up. Some won't like it and will move to a different line or stop cruising but many new cruisers will fill the void.

On my last cruise (Eclipse) you could see a trend, the more experienced (older?) cruisers spending little money and money is the name of the game. I'd be willing to pay extra for a special entertainment experience.

Thank you so much for posting this. Now I really fear for Celebrity as I know it. Wow. Not good for me, but then I am not what Celebrity is looking for. Very sad.

We fully agree with you. Apparently loyalty is a one way street.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

What do they want for the sail away? Have it like Carnival where the first to jump in the pool gets a drink? People like standing along the rail or on their balcony with a drink watching the port disappear instead of looking at a pool.

🍸🍹🍷

Generalizations does not mean that is who will call to book, because everyone hoes home, reads the internet and Celebrity's reputation is that of a ship full of us 'older' folks. Then the younger more mature folks sail and like what they experience. I have become my Father as will my Son after me.

Oh, almost half of the people that write about the travel industry have a job life of less than 8 years before another writer with their finger on the 'pulse' of the ever changing industry takes their place:D

Thank you so much for posting this. Now I really fear for Celebrity as I know it. Wow. Not good for me, but then I am not what Celebrity is looking for. Very sad.

Drunks in the pool in the Solarium? Not my cup of tea. I though this was supposed to be a quiet, adults-only area.

I could care less what they do by the pool for sail away. Everyone I know is at the aft bar for sail away.

I normally don't pay much attention to the entertainment, but my recent sailing on the Reflection had the best production shows ever. I went to every single one. In contrast, the entertainment on the Century was not good. Lots of people walked out after several numbers.

Anyway, I don't sail for the entertainment. So I won't be paying extra for entertainment unless they somehow manage a broadway show that I've missed on land and want to see. I sail to be at sea. To see wonderful places and have my hotel move with me. And to meet interesting people.

The entertainment sounds, hmm... interesting, but it also kind of reminds me of the Constellation and the Cirque du Soleil interactive stuff. That didn't last too long ;)

OMG:eek:...it was a fiasco really. They had signed a mult-year contract

and never made through the whole thing.:rolleyes:

WHAT in this article has everyone's knickers in a knot??? Am I missing half of it?

Agree. Nothing mentioned in the article seem to be set in stone. Celebrity has held interactive theme parties for a number of years and they seem to draw some attention. Choices can be positive so long as they don't take away from the total cruise experience for the majority. I haven't been to a sail away at the pool area for many years, preferring to start with a toast to my DW on our balcony and then if time allows, off to a CC sailaway. Celebrity tends to test any new idea on a single ship prior to going fleetwide. They do take written comments seriously. If you don't like a change make your opinion known. I'll just wait until I actually experience new ideas prior to making a judgment.

We went to "Liquid" on the Reflection in February. Visually, what they did with the Solarium space that evening was stunning. Really cool. But no one seemed to know what to do. Dance? Drink? Gawp at the spectacle of contortionist dancers? Once they get the hang of what they want Liquid to be, it will be fine, but right now the event is still in its awkward growing stage.

We just got off the Relection yesterday. It was our first cruise with Celebrity after doing 5 cruises on another line. We are a professional couple in our early 50's. In discussions with other cruisers, the word often used to describe the entertainment was "random." It was lovely to stand in the atrium area and enjoy a jazzy band. However, a few minutes later, the Celebrity dancers came out to do an "Alice in Wonderland" routine, riding up and down the elevators and dancing around with tea cups

The comedy show was also puzzling. I understand that Celebrity is trying to introduce a Las Vegas vibe but a burlesque dancer doing 3 dances during the show didn't seem to be necessary and not well received by the crowd. Most people we talked to were not impressed.

WHAT in this article has everyone's knickers in a knot??? Am I missing half of it?

Hi Wpgcycler,

I think it's because there's a certain ambiance that made Celebrity what many guests have loved over the years. It appears that ambiance is changing rapidly. I'm not saying it will be better or worse, and I'm willing to see what Celebrity has planned before passing judgement. With that said, it's hard to dispute that Celebrity is seriously trying to change their image, and the demographics they wish to cater to. For us, entertainment is important. If we do not enjoy the "new" onboard experience ? we'll vote with our wallet, and sail with other brands.

All we can do, is hope the best, and see what the future holds.

Hi Wpgcycler,

I think it's because there's a certain ambiance that made Celebrity what many guests have loved over the years. It appears that ambiance is changing rapidly. I'm not saying it will be better or worse, and I'm willing to see what Celebrity has planned before passing judgement. With that said, it's hard to dispute that Celebrity is seriously trying to change their image, and the demographics they wish to cater to. For us, entertainment is important. If we do not enjoy the "new" onboard experience ? we'll vote with our wallet, and sail with other brands.

Fair enough, but it's just a few vague comments about where they might take things - really a cause for so much hysteria? Why not wait and see? I've only been on one cruise and I thought it was brilliant from start to finish - I can't imagine them completely destroying it.

Hi Wpgcycler,

Thanks Andy for your, as always, measured and reasonable response. As one of the new zeniths, I am not about to jump ship without seeing how this plays out. But entertainment is very important to me, maybe because I travel solo, and I have already seen disturbing changes in this area. So, I will sit back and wait. Hopefully, there will be something for the new people they are trying to attract, as well as their long standing loyalists. Time will tell. And it was very nice to have met you and your Mom on Century. Hope our paths cross again sometime.