What if I don't like some of the food?

Yes you can ! We recently sailed with a coworker of my wife, and the lady's husband was the pickiest eater I have ever seen ! It was embarrassing to go eat with them ! He ended up ordering off the kids selections!

Some days, though, you just want macaroni & cheese...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Some days, though, you just want macaroni & cheese...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Funny, but I did think their mac & cheese was pretty good when I tried some from my son's plate in the MDR. The fries that went with it weren't bad either...

We order what we like but then order an extra plat to "try out & share"

Several cruises ago we had a waiter who would bring out two extra plates of things he thought we should try. We passed them around and they were always really good.

You definitely can. In the "olden days" days of cruising, if you left a half eaten meal, the waiters would automatically go back and pick up a different dish or two regardless if you wanted it half the time.

Now they are more likely to ask rather than force food on you. As long as you aren't doing it every night they typically are very accommodating.

A couple of times the maitre'd has noticed I was filipino and had the chef whip up a filipino dish for me, as many of the staff are filipino and they make lots of filipino food.

Wonder if I can request a filipino dish just because? Love lumpia and sesig/rice :D

Just off Grandeur and we had a fabulous waiter. He would bring out extras of each course so others could try them. I found a couple of items he brought out that I will probably order next time now that I've tried them.

You can order as many food items as you want. The waiters won't be offended if you don't like something. They do always ask if you want more. We were more careful this trip (plus I missed 1 dinner due to the storm) and I only gained 1.2 lbs and DH 2.5 on a 10 night cruise. So, while you can eat as much as you want, we have learned how not to go too overboard. If you don't like something, don't worry about it, they will be more than happy to bring you something else.

I/we really do not want to wait for the second dish.......... But we do not worry toooo much about the quality/taste of the dish, we do not expect every dish to be to our liking and we are never truly hungry anyway.

Having said that, FISH, is one thing we do send back and let the server know aheads of time, that if it is not right, we will send it back. I, somehow think that they appreciate the notification, and always seem to check back quickly to see if we like it or not. Unfortunately,I will say that more often than not the fish will be sent back for a second try, and have even seen three times before giving up.

PS we know fish, by having all the fish we could eat all our lives.

Wonder if I can request a filipino dish just because? Love lumpia and sesig/rice :D

Yes, I sometimes order a dish from whatever country the majority of cooks are from, as it is usually soo much better than what is on the regular menu.

On our Serenade cruise this January, I asked the waiter if there would be any Indian curries on the menu for the week. Once upon a time, there was a curry every night.

He was delighted to report back to me that I would have a curry the next night. He asked if I had any particular preferences (meat,seafood,other), and how spicy I liked.

Sure enough, my very own curry was ready for me the next night. They really do go out of their way to please the guests!

I would just slyly ask the head waiter one night about it. Basically just compliment them on the great food, and then jokingly ask if there is any filipino food, or whatever ethnicity you are and sometimes if they are really trying to impress you they will talk with the chef and see what he could prepare.... Sometimes it even comes from the crew mess hall as the crew is from so many places. Just don't be pushy and sometimes they will be very accommodating.

Just off Grandeur and we had a fabulous waiter. He would bring out extras of each course so others could try them. I found a couple of items he brought out that I will probably order next time now that I've tried them.

You can order as many food items as you want. The waiters won't be offended if you don't like something. They do always ask if you want more. We were more careful this trip (plus I missed 1 dinner due to the storm) and I only gained 1.2 lbs and DH 2.5 on a 10 night cruise. So, while you can eat as much as you want, we have learned how not to go too overboard. If you don't like something, don't worry about it, they will be more than happy to bring you something else.

Piggy backing on this a bit, it you really like something careful how you express it or you may end up with quite a bit more. We have had a fantastic waiter and asst waiter on Jewel last year. I can't recall the appetizer I had, but I remember it was rather tiny. The waiter asked how we liked our appetizers and I stated something like "this was the best thing I've had all week". When my dinner arrived, there was an entire second plate LOADED with the appetizer.

ETA (and not that it matters) but I just recalled, it was two large seared sea scallops with chorizo.

Edited by AeroBaldness

Love this thread - I had no idea you could do all this in the MDR :D

Question: I see people have gotten larger portions. I'm not a big eater but I love trying new things. If I see two entrees I'd like to try and can't decide, can they make me smaller (half or quarter) portions? I hate to waste food but I know I'll have a hard time decided what to get.

Love this thread - I had no idea you could do all this in the MDR :D

Question: I see people have gotten larger portions. I'm not a big eater but I love trying new things. If I see two entrees I'd like to try and can't decide, can they make me smaller (half or quarter) portions? I hate to waste food but I know I'll have a hard time decided what to get.

My opinion is they are serving 6,000 meals. Imagine if 6,000 people made "special requests".

Just order whatever you wish to try from the main menu and do not be concerned about wasting food.

I have always found when DS and I order 2 or 3 apps and 2 main courses, some of it gets shared with others at the table, and we have never really left anything go to waste.

I absolutely love the MDR and ordering whatever I wish without even batting an eye. Just do it.

Can you switch up the sides? For example, the fish comes with rice and the beef with potatoes can you have fish with potatoes?

They are usually able to make those types of adjustments in the dinner. For example, we are typically able to swap a baked potato for mashed, or add steamed vegetables.

• 3 months later...
Yes you can ! We recently sailed with a coworker of my wife, and the lady's husband was the pickiest eater I have ever seen ! It was embarrassing to go eat with them ! He ended up ordering off the kids selections!

RCI thank for the example, because I am to a very picky eater. Thankfully I got through the cruise without the child's menu, but that plain chicken was excellent.

I want to also mention the night I had the beef tenderloin; I said I didn't want the mushrooms. Waiter neglected to mention the meat was cooked in mushrooms (saw it Oasis video), and I could of sworn the prime rib was as well. I mention this, because it could be an allergy issue.

I find this everywhere that menu's/ waiters are consistently forgetting to list or mention ingredients. It just makes it really hard for the picky [emoji11]eater who never eats out.

I want to also mention the night I had the beef tenderloin; I said I didn't want the mushrooms. Waiter neglected to mention the meat was cooked in mushrooms (saw it Oasis video), and I could of sworn the prime rib was as well. I mention this, because it could be an allergy issue.

I find this everywhere that menu's/ waiters are consistently forgetting to list or mention ingredients. It just makes it really hard for the picky [emoji11]eater who never eats out.

In my opinion, if you actually HAVE an allergy to mushrooms (or anything else) you need to SAY that. That's a lot different than ordering the beef tenderloin and mentioning you don't want the mushrooms, and then complaining that the meat might have been cooked with mushrooms, even though there were none on your plate.

Waitstaff needs to take allergies very seriously when a guest mentions them, but just saying "I'd like the tenderloin, but don't want the mushrooms" is not anything which I'd expect more from the waiters then - bringing you the tenderloin without mushrooms on the plate!

We have always noticed that if we didn't finish a dish or put it to the side because we weren't crazy about it the wait staff was right there asking if we would like something else. They want you to be happy and enjoy your meal. Just be polite about it. It is rare for us though that we didn't like something.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last cruise, one night two of the appetizers were favorites of mine, so I ordered both of them. When my entree came, I just couldn't eat it. The waiter offered a replacement several times and almost seemed hurt that he couldn't bring me something else.

The level of service in the MDR is amazing.

On my last cruise, we ordered a couple different extra appetizers, entrees, and desserts to feed the table. It worked out great. Everyone got to try a couple of different things, and nothing went to waste. I was at a table of 10 so all we got was a taste of each food. We even ordered the mac and cheese off the kids menu to share.