LIVE from the Cloud, 10th April FL to Barcelona

Silver Spectre

Wes,

Very nice pictures. We're leaving next week, or this week depending on how you look at it, on the Spirit transatlantic and the pics are raising the level of anticipation. The more hymnologically inclined might call them 'a foretaste of glory divine'.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Appreciate your hymn reference. And enjoying all posts re the voyage. Wes, I know you are missing Ida. I have gone on a few trips without George, and I always find myself thinking "George would love this."

Ann, mentioned to Chef Grant that you and Ron spoke very highly of him today at Chef’s David Class. He did fondly remember you both.

Rachel, absolutely am missing Ida but have learned to highly respect how Silversea goes above and beyond to take very good care of solo pax. Speaking of taking care of Solo's have been invited to dine with Captain Sangiocomo tonight in La Terraza--had Butler send the bottle of Dom (Courtesy of AMX-Plat cruise bennies) sent up to share with our LT table.

Dos Jubalatos; Am also looking forward to getting to know Cartegena through Bill and your resident eyes when we arrive next week.

We are now enjoying our fourth of eight seadays in a row on the intimate Silver Cloud. Our intamcy is enhanced as we have about 30%more crew members to guests on this portion (Ft. Lauderdale to Madiera) of our crossing. Pls enjoy another gorgeous sunrise:

Todays’ highlights include: Enrichment Lectures (Political Significance of Isalm, The Family Sleuth, The Splendour of Tiaras (about the Royal Jewels), Executive Chef Grant does a cooking demo of Thai Curry later this morning that is the centerpiece of the Curry Lunch on the pool deck at noon. Chef David is sponsoring, “Cut it, Cook it, Eat it,” in Le Champagne for nine of us who signed up. WE have a sparkling wine tasting with Head Sommelier Natalia at 5pm then the Entertainment for tonight is Flautist Stephen Clark.

cl5004_zps534a9466.jpg

Experienced one of the best two and a half hours on any cruise with Le Ecole Des Chef’s David Bilsland earlier today. Nine of our fellow Cloud guests prepared this menu under David’s expert instruction: Crab Spring Rolls, Pan-Roasted Breast of Duck with Caramelised Sherry Vinegar and Honey Sauce, Dark Chocolate Fondant with White chocolate Crème Anglaise. Pls let these pictures tell the wonderful story:

cl5005_zpsbc5d31ff.jpg

cl5008_zpsc3a36d69.jpg

cl5010_zpsdb40c76c.jpg

cl5016_zpsea0ad821.jpg

cl5021_zps6a86895b.jpg

Pls enjoy a few more Le Ecole Des Chef's pix from today's cooking class with Chef David:

cl5013_zps3e4dfdcf.jpg

cl5012_zps3652630e.jpg

And our main course:

cl5023_zpse4b93d10.jpg

David mentioned to us that the Executive Chef Grant is organizing a market tour with interested guests in Malaga--will defintely sign up. Geez, can't believe am enjoying all this cooking, but enjoy eating it more esp Ida's wonderful dishes.

Speaking of taking care of Solo's have been invited to dine with Captain Sangiocomo tonight in La Terraza--had Butler send the bottle of Dom (Courtesy of AMX-Plat cruise bennies) sent up to share with our LT table.
Kudos and well done!

I hope you'll have the opportunity to inquire of the captain if there may be any plans to improve the hard goods experience on the Cloud such as a redesign of the fitness facilities or an addition of an Observation lounge.

If you are still onboard, please ask David how Rudy is. We were on a culinary adventure last year with David, his wife, and a head chef from Relaix and Chateau named Rudy who had to be taken off the ship for medical reasons. W e never heard how he was.

Duct Tape, Clive will give your Key West T-shirt to your husband on the Normandy charter.

Bohaiboy, will ask David about Rudy tomorrow.

Wellseasoned; David told me (since you r a Navy Vet) he will have you cook Spam for your Cut it, Cook it, Eat it. David is concerned you would burn any other dish :)

Another delightful evening on board the Silver Cloud. Enjoyed pre dinner cocktails with Charles and Theresa (we met them on the Cloud, London to London..Farbster u invited them to our Thai dinner). Then headed off to La terrazza for dinner with Capt. Sangiocomo. First pix below is the stunning sunset, then the pix of guests and I that dined with Marco Sangiocomo—outstanding La Terraza dinner. The LT chef, Samir came by after our dinner and rvcd deserving kudos.

cl5pm002_zps94de5ca7.jpg

cl5pm004_zps805324ed.jpg

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Wes, the big boy on the right in your chefs cooking photo is aussie Grant, a nice guy and a great cook. He has been on two of our SS cruises. :)

Ann

Grant is an excellent chef and a nice guy (apart for his support for a very strange cricket team).

He organised a curry lunch yesterday with 5 different curries, it was very good.

Not quite as warm today, and as of late afternoon, we are rolling quite a bit. Too much to make the gym feel safe.

Went to David Bilsland's second 'cut it, cook it and eat it' lunch today and although our duck was not quite as pink as Wes's all the first day kinks had been ironed out and we had a fantastic time.

Our Trivia team is coming in last on a consistant basis as we refuse to accept David Lawton's answer corrections. We have tried to get him to make it a little more competetive but are struggling. When two teams get perfect answers every day it is not really working.

Please enjoy another beautiful sunrise on our fifth sea day in a row on board the Silver Cloud.

cl5pm002_zps94de5ca7.jpg

Today again is chock full of sea day activities: enrichment lectures, cooking demo, another cut it, cook it, eat it lunch with Chef David. Again to demonstrate how well SS takes care of it’s solo pax, have been invited to a second solo get together first in the Panorama Lounge then dinner in the Restaurant. EnglishUSA is having dinner tonight with Capt. Sangiocomo. Also, after breakfast Janice our butler handed me an invitation from another thoughtful couple I met during my first dinner in La Terraza to join them tonight in the Pool Grill—asked the for a rain check please. Entertainment tonight is; British Invasion Radio presented by the Silversea Artists.

Pls enjoy a few pix taken today at the Cooking Demo with La Terraza Italian Chef Samir. Chef Samir was assisted by Exec. Chef Grant. They demonstrated how to prepare Rissoto Al Funghi (Mushroom) Misti and Scaloppine Al Funghi.

cl6012_zps6578599e.jpg

cl6009_zps12f8051c.jpg

cl6008_zps17e4f339.jpg

cl6011_zps7de7c78e.jpg

cl6006_zps7e2302b8.jpg

Would have made the last post hours ago, but our internet went down for six hours.

Pls now enjoy some pix tonight from another beatiful sunset on the cloud, our Solo cocktail party (geez Silversea hits home run after home run the way they take care of their solo pax--Bravo Silversea and the Cloud International hostess team of Bianca and Maria) and a pix of the Silversea Artist showcasing the British entertainment invasion in the 60's/70's:

cl6pm004_zps2e782775.jpg

cl6pm001_zps12186b94.jpg

cl6pm006_zps6c692469.jpg

cl6pm012_zpse0dbd101.jpg

Wes, you did it again! Your sunrise pic today was your yesterday sunset pic! Doug and I think this must be an Army thing. Well, we're leaving for the Shadow tomorrow, so I can't keep monitoring these things. If you can, please tell entertainer Kasheena that Debbie and I still love her from the Cloud a couple of years ago and still want her to marry our son! Have a fantastic remaining cruise!

Dieter

Thought I would add a few comments. Seas rough last night and today. 15 foot waves. Rockin' and Rolling! Impossible to walk in a straight line.

One thing I miss from “Spirit”: Suite call bells/buzzers. ( My lady butler has such a quiet “knock”!

The sink faucet is much better, it doesn’t splash out everywhere!

I like this “little” ship, especially with only 176 pax and no kids.! Don’t know if the Easter Bunny will even show! Chef Grant’s food is excellent. Some “Spirit” crew on board: Sommelier Darwin, Bartender turned butler Rommel,Head waiter Paul,waiter Denis.

Not too keen on Trivia format, too many hints and “help”.

As David notes above, we are now in 15 ft swells (tho now about 4:45pm, rolling as subsided somewhat) with winds about 60km/hr and temps near 60 the intimate Cloud is seriously rocking and rolling. You spend an extra 5 min dressing, walking to/from venues (holding onto the handrails as you go). The crew is doing a super job serving and tying down loose items (e.g. fruit bowl in suite was all over floor when I returned from Gym this morning—even the elliptical felt like it would tip over a few times during the workout). Carefully went to the front of the ship on deck 9 and took another Sunset (kidding Wellseasoned) mean sunrise.

cl7001_zps7e47c1ad.jpg

The Battle of the Chefs with Grant and Elton was delayed until tomorrow due to unsafe conditions for the portable stoves/oven on the stage with these conditions. Howard Franklyn (Britain’s renowned florist to the Royals) stepped up to the plate with an hours’ notice and presented a wonderful presentation on the Royal Wedding Flower arrangements from the late 60’s until today. Pls enjoy a few pix below

cl7003_zps18b94cda.jpg

cl7004_zps15037050.jpg

cl7005_zps4ecf6ce5.jpg

Other highlights for our sixth consecutive (rocking/rolling) day at sea include two more enrichment lecture, and our CD David Lawtone will present “A Touch of Class: From Wales to Camelot in the Venetian Lounge at 6:45pm. Evening capper is name that tune with our talented international hostesses Maria/Bianca and pianist Eric.

Today Lester (Hotel Director) will provide me with a few behind the scenes crew members (those that the Guests don’t get to say thank you to, but are instrumental in us enjoying our Silver Cloud voyage (e.g., members of the Galley & Provisional teams). Hope to start a few crew member profiles tomorrow.

Aside editorial comment—am forever spoiled with this free laundry (tho I earn it in six days going over 100 days on board SS) thanks to the VIP package we got when we boarded, can never back to doing (really helping Ida do laundry). Every morning is like Christmas opening your laundry package—carefully wrapped in tissue paper with the SS emblem and your suite #.

Finally, for those EnglishUSA T shirt watchers, here is David on today’s Tshirt:

cl7006_zps4504cd12.jpg

Wes -

We're loving your descriptions of everything and can't wait to get on board in May. Will Grant still be on board? He prepared a wonderful Thai dinner for us on the Norwegian cruise last year.

Hope the weather improves.