LIVE from the Cloud, 10th April FL to Barcelona

Silver Spectre

Victoria, will talk to Grant about a Thai Dinner tho am waiting (hopefully) to hear from him that we are on for a Market tour with Grant in Malaga. Duct Tape if you know some pax that would enjoy a Thai Dinner pls let me know so I can contact them.

Ann, yes did notice David and his red socks in his formal duds for our first formal nite--he explained why.

Interesting tidbit heard second hand from Howard Franklyn--guest lecturer. He told cruise friends who were on the Cloud with us in July (london tower to london tower) that Crystal has put in a bid (that is positively being considered) for ownership of Silversea. Just reporting this--do not know the veracity of this. Did speak with Capt. Sangiocomo this afternoon in the HD's office about the Cloud refurb in May next year (alas, only softgoods...told Marco that we would book the 29 days Barca to Capetown if they refurbed this poor Cloud Gym--he told me it would take a month in dry dock to do--no plans too. Lester Woodfall, the HD has arranged for me to interview the provision team tomorrow at 10 a.m., look forward to sharing their profile.

For Stumbelfoot/Brian...had this delicious French wine with Beef Tournedos tonight:

cl7pm002_zps1c9a503b.jpg

Also, learned a wonderful secret of social dining tonight as I entered the Restaurant for dinner. Told the Restaurant Mgr, Sergio, that alas, was dining solo since my beloved Ida was not with me. Sergio asked if I would like company, I said absolutely. Dined with two marvelous couples--the first from Dublin, the second from San Francisco (Alan is a ex Navy Seal, now 80 tho looks 65 fought in Lebanon in 1958) we had a lively conversation. Dinner was gustatory joy paired with a delish vintage. Most importantly dinner companions were a conversational a joy.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Wes, glad you were able to get some details about the forthcoming dry dock. Super sad they won't be improving the gym for you. Would love to see you on board the Cloud to Norway in 2015.

Thanks a bundle for the shout out on the wine. Yet, another special bottle you had. It's so nice that you can find exceptional wines with a little age on them. Looks like a fascinating blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Cinsault. WS scores it a 94 and says, "a captivating red, showing fig and hoisin sauce aromas and flavors, with a riveting graphite note. Superlush but defined, with the black tea, licorice snap and perfumy edge of the appellation all lingering through the velvety, lengthy finish." I just say "tasty"!

I hope the seas calm down for the rest of your voyage.

Thanks very much Brian--yes the Head Sommelier (Natalia is a gem, and married to the Provisions Store Manager on board, pls see profile of her husband below. Sea conditions are much better--maybe 4-6 ft vs 15 ft yesterday. Gym was opened after being closed most of yesterday for safety reasons.

Another gorgeous sunrise to mark the beginning our eighth sea day, pls see below.

cl8003_zps43488fa4.jpg

We have a fun filled day of sea day activities planned; enrichment lectures, Battle of the Chefs (“Ready Steady Cook), Easter Egg & Chocolate Truffle Workshop with Chef David this afternoon, Venetian Society cocktail party preceding our Formal dinner. This will also be a Dinner Dance with evening music by the Silver Cloud Quartet. The Silversea Artists will present their outstanding show: High C’s.

Silver Cloud crew member profiles:

Let’s meet key members of the Cloud Provision staff. First, below is Ariel one of the three members of the Provision staff. Ariel is from the Philippines, he is married and has a brand new 5 month old son. Ariel has worked for Silversea for five years and is serving on his sixth contract. Ariel is responsible for Dry Storage provisions (stocking, distributing). What Ariel likes best about working for Silversea is the generous pay, serving with his Provision team members. Most importantly, he likes the fact that before he finishes his contract and disembarks, he knows when /where he will start his next contract.

Ariels serves under the leadership of Robin Nedumanile the Provisions Store Manager. Robin is from Cochin India, is married (to Natalia (head sommelier on the Cloud—she served the wonderful French Gigondas we had last night and is exceptionally wine smart). They have a 5 year old Daughter who is taken care of by Natalia’s parents while they are working at sea. Robin is charge of managing the consumption of the more than 10,000 provision items on the Silver Cloud. Robin also makes sure the Provision area is spotless. What Robin likes most about working for Silversea is they take very good care of the employees, and Robin also likes knowing what/when his next contract will be prior to disembarking .

Robin (first in white uniform) Ariel(in blue uniform)

cl8004_zps76ff1e4c.jpg

Ariel (left/rear) and fellow provision team member (Melchor, right/forward)moving a box of bananas.

cl8007_zps1b16bb2e.jpg

Great battle of the Chefs this morning, Grant won the presentation, but on the taste test he had a draw with Elton.

Had dinner late last night and ordered the pigeon. Half way through service Grant came out to personally apologise that there had been a run on the birds and there were none left. This was done so well and he is a real brick.

The restaurant was almost busy as the pool grill was closed for the weather and the crew had a meal in La Terraza.

Seas are much calmer now, although it is still a little cool.

Sitting in the internet room with the door open and listening to Kasheena practicing some of her songs in the Venetian Lounge as a back drop.

In a happy place!!

This is interesting. I have wondered why SS divided into an expedition component and a luxury component. I reviewed revenue per passenger and it is overwhelmingly on the expedition side. When I first started traveling on SS passenger rev was about $900 pp/day. Much like the expedition ships today. I could see SS harvesting Spirit, Shadow, and Whisper. Of interest Crystal President recently said it wants to add ships but not necessarily a cruise line.

DuckTape, Hello, Fred and I had several conversations with you at the Pool Bar on last Spirit Cruise ending in San Juan. Hope you are doing well.

Hey Wes (& David)

Sorry we are late to your party (sort of missed the boat so to speak) but we are just back from our Gulf Float on the Caribbean Princess out of Port of Houston. Princess tries hard and even being in a full suite (thanks to our great mutual TA @ only ~ 130% of a balcony) they just can't make much of a premium experience when sailing with 3200 fellow pax. We had Stella on tap, but no Stella.

We do miss the ol' crossings gang and the Cloud really is the First Lady of the Fleet.

Tell EnglishUSA to start trading jokes with David Lawton as the two of them should become great mates... like sense(s) of humor.

Add us to the negative list on the Crystal rumor, but it is unclear what the family could do with this large unique asset for the long term.

All our best for fair winds & following seas for the remainder... looking forward to more crew stories and thanks for sharing.

/Steve & Barb

Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon on board the Silversea Silver Cloud. We enjoyed the Battle of the Chefs with Exec Chef Grant vs Head Sous Chef Elton. Pls see pix below. First pix is of Grant & Elton getting their knives, pots, pans ready. Next pix is of two pax who volunteered to first select the meat & veggies each chef would cook (Lamb (Grant), Filet (Elton), final pix is of the plating results. The end result was a tie—and both dishes will be a chef selection at dinner in the next few nites.

cl8011_zps87873619.jpg

cl8009_zps79af4c82.jpg

cl8012_zps4f8838e8.jpg

Next up we enjoyed the Easter Egg & Chocolate Trufle Workshop led by Chef David Bilsland. Pls enjoy a few pix below. First pix is our table (LtoR; Marty, Caroline and Shiela) making Chocolate Easter Eggs. Next pix of the Easter eggs in various stages of build. Then we made Chocolate Truffles, you will see our Pastry chef using a burner to heat the bottom of a cooking tray where we placed each half of our easter egg (melted the edges so they would stick together). My egg made especially for my dear Ida, Happy Easter Ida!

cl8034_zpsfba40e46.jpg

002_zpsce990199.jpg

Steve and Barb, hate that you all and us are missing out on all the fun. But some people have to work. I am sure David and Wes are keeping everyone in line for us though.

Happy Easter to you & George... and come see us again in Ft. Worth real soon... maybe for some new seat covers for the car!

Last night we enjoyed the Venetian Society party prior to another Formal Dinner. Pls enjoy some pix, first is Cruise Consultant Christiane, then Captain Sangiacomo welcoming Venetian members (guests who have sailed at least one Silversea cruise before). Second pix of of Silversea hosts dressed in Venetian costume welcoming guests to the party. Third pix of the marvelous table center piece (Ice Carving) of VS (Venetian Society) along with delicious horse dervies . Fourth pix below is one of the Silversea Artists singing a beautiful Opera melody to Venetian guests. Fifth pix if Capt Sangiocomo, me, Christiane presenting me my 100 day voyage distinction (free laundry from now on, future voyages get 5% off). Finally, Capt. Sangiocomo, Cruise Consultant, and Cruise Director toasting all attending Venetian members (from 15 days to over 700 days sailed):

cl8pm001_zps63b27651.jpg

cl8pm004_zpse839d7b6.jpg

cl8pm011_zps4dfa6536.jpg

cl8pm013_zps57275636.jpg

cl8pm016_zps5bc4deef.jpg

Good Afternoon.

Duct Tape, passed your regards along to Shiela who beamed/smiling broadly--she in turn passed her warm regards along to you and Mr. Duct Tape.

We are now enjoying the last of our eight consecutive sea days. Alas, sunrise was obscured by cloud cover and could not get a sunrise pix. Today’s highlights: wide variety of enrichment lectures (e.g. Nat King Cole: Requiem for a King, Windsor Castel, Spain), just prior to lunch with have Chef David presenting Pub Classics as the cooking demo, followed by a Pub Lunch and Sing along in the Bar. Chef Grant is leading about a dozen of us to the wonderful food market during our visit to Malaga in a few days. Chef Samir in La Terraza is making split pea soup for EnglishUSA/David and I (we will add stilton cheese per David’s tip) then tonight have asked Chef Samir to make Spaghetti Carbonara as a pasta course in La Terraza. Late this afternoon is a galley tour with Chef Grant and the evening show is Classically Quirkey with Kelli Oscar. Please enjoy a few pix taken from this morning’s activities: first pix is of EnglishUSA in his daily T-shirt, secon pix is taken from the Nat King Cole enrichment lecture, next few pix are taken from the Pub Classics cooking demo where Chef Grant and Chef David prepared classic pub grub: traditional Cornish pasty, Sheperd’s pie and fish and chips:

cl9001_zps7771fcf8.jpg

cl9009_zpsf479fb43.jpg

cl9014_zpse4b85e5f.jpg

cl9013_zps3f81f5f5.jpg

cl9016_zps1eea9584.jpg

p.s., talked with Howard Franklyn one of our guest lecturers about the Crystal bid for Silversea. This came from Bill Miller (noted maritime writer on ocean liners billmilleratsea.com. Bill told Howard about ten days ago that SS has been for sale for a while waiting the right bid. Enough speculation.

Hi Wes, .... godd to see your reports.

Sadly the recipe is wrong .... the hint being in the name. :D

Shepherds Pie is always lamb and Cottage Pie is always beef. It would a very confused Shepherd who used a cow ......:rolleyes:

:)

JEFF,

I see also that diced carrots and peas are optional.