So sad...Royal one star reviews

kendon

I have never been on a Princess ship that I would consider worthy of a 1 rating.

Have any of you? The points given on one of the 1 star ratings review were:

dining- 1

service-1

cabin_ 1

entertainment-1

Public rooms-3

value for money-1

embarkation-4

shore excursions 4

The text of the review said the food was substandard and entertainment

was not family friendly and was raunchy. They disliked housekeeping and considered the service poor.

They had 3 bored teenagers with them and closed the tirade with "Royal Caribbean-Here we come."

They chose the wrong cruise line, not the wrong ship.

All their complaints were employee related.

Not all poor reviews are about the ship and what it is missing.

I would ask all those that cruised the Royal to tell me if you think the employees should be rated 1 star? :confused:

I don't. If I did, I would never sail Princess again.

I get your point. But you could hold that point up to a mirror and get the opposite result. I have never been on any cruise ship (PCL or otherwise) where the food was a 5+. Last time I checked, the MDRs and Specialty restaurants do not include Per Se, The French Laundry or Daniel. Those are 5+ star dining experiences. Granted, a "1" is pretty difficult to achieve in a ship's MDR. That pretty much portrays food not fit for a Denny's. But a 5, I contend, is equally impossible to attain as that should be on the level of a 3 Star Michelin restaurant. So while the 1 star reviews have to be viewed skeptically as the reviewer grinds his/her axe, the 5 and 5+ star reviews have to be viewed just as skeptically as the reviewer waves his/her pom-poms.

I get your point. But you could hold that point up to a mirror and get the opposite result. I have never been on any cruise ship (PCL or otherwise) where the food was a 5+. Last time I checked, the MDRs and Specialty restaurants do not include Per Se, The French Laundry or Daniel. Those are 5+ star dining experiences. Granted, a "1" is pretty difficult to achieve in a ship's MDR. That pretty much portrays food not fit for a Denny's. But a 5, I contend, is equally impossible to attain as that should be on the level of a 3 Star Michelin restaurant. So while the 1 star reviews have to be viewed skeptically as the reviewer grinds his/her axe, the 5 and 5+ star reviews have to be viewed just as skeptically as the reviewer waves his/her pom-poms.

I agree with you on the food, the experience can be a 5 star, but the food itself I would say is adequate, not bad, not great. But food is terribly subjective anyway. For someone to give a brand new ship a 1 star rating, is all you really need to know. As someone else said, they picked the wrong cruise line, not the wrong ship.

If a decent size balcony and a promenade deck etc are important to a cruiser then Royal isn't a good thing. But, these things were known a year ago. Many of these one star reviews could have been avoided if people did their homework and just picked another ship. It's pointless to read about the faults of a ship, ignore the reviews and then come back and complain about the same things.

Agreed. Then maybe a 4 star review would be more appropriate for those people don't do the proper research.

Interesting thread.

I'll go read the reviews now.

We were on the Maiden Caribbean of the Royal, and while we enjoyed it and think there were some wonderful things about the ship, including the food (excellent for Princess), the Piazza, the Horizon Court and the on demand television, we will not be booking the Royal again.

We spend a lot of time on the Promenade deck. We really missed that.

And there are no dance floors. In theory, the lounge in the back is used, but not on the cruise we were on. They do have a larger stage on the Piazza, and the dance band played there, but it's not a usable floor for dancers because it's marble. (If the'd done gorgeous inlaid wood instead of gorgeous inlaid marble we would have liked it).

We dance every night and we'd risk injury if we danced on marble every night for 7-16 days. We did like that the band started earlier than bands in Wheelhouses in other ships.

And we did know these things going in but for a 5 day cruise, we decided to live with it. And we did, but that doesn't mean we want to do it again.

A pity, because what was good about the ship was great.

Amen brother.

I've been reading Carnival reviews (long story) and have noticed that the number of stars doesn't always line up with the rest of the review. Someone will talk about the great food, excellent staff, nice room, but will give a score of one star because something unpleasant happened on a shore excursion (or the pool was too cold/hot or the comedian was not funny, etc.) I haven't done the Royal yet, but I'm waiting for the chance. Stars, schmars...as they say, a bad day on a cruise is still better that a good day at work!:)

I often see a mismatch on many different sites when it comes to giving a quantitative review alongside a written one. Often if I'm looking at a product, I might look at a few of the 1's, a few of the 5's, but more often it's the middle scores that give me a better idea whether to buy a product. But also it's personal preferences, like in clothing. Someone may really like a dress, but I'll check out the fabric and if it has any polyester, no matter how nice it looks, I'm skipping it.

After booking our last cruise (which was an exact repeat of our cruise two years prior, the same ship and almost the same date), I decided, for the fun of it, to check out recent reviews of the ship for that itinerary. I clicked on the most recent and was shocked to see someone talking about their Med cruise on the Golden, which hasn't been away from the West Coast for years! So I sent an email to the administrators and told them this person had the wrong ship. A short time later, the review was gone from the Golden section and most likely changed to the right ship. It just floors me that someone was writing about a recent cruise (unless he/she was writing about a cruise taken many years ago, but didn't add that info) and have the ship wrong throughout the review.:eek:

Another review was someone complaining about the entertainment on board, mainly all the Hawaiian music. Jeez, it was a Hawaiian cruise, and anyone who reads about the Star Princess this year and the Golden for about the last three-to-four years before that, would see enthusiastic comments for the musical duo Elua.

I guess besides researching the ships to make sure you're not booking a massive ship if you don't like lots of passengers, etc., you can also check out other factors such as ports -- don't book a Caribbean cruise if you can't stand steel drum music or an Alaskan cruise if you have an ice phobia. With guide books and Internet sites readily available, there's really no excuse.

I have been reading this thread with amusement since it started. The original poster cannot understand how anyone can rate the Royal a 1, others cannot understand rating it a 5. Cruise Critic however is the entity that came up with the scale – they obviously think that a reviewer can give a 1 just as well as a 5. Whether the Royal deserves a 5 or a 1 or a 3 is the subjective opinion of the reviewer, nothing more.

However what I think is more relevant than any single review is the fact that the Royal has the lowest CC approval rating of all Princess ships, 65% out of 289 reviews. No other Princess ship is anywhere this low. As a further comparison, Celebrity’s Reflection, launched in late 2012 just a few months prior to the Royal, has a 90% approval rating out of 327 reviews. Celebrity customers are much happier with their ship and Princess executives are no doubt aware of this.

Most of the Princess ships are SO similar that when the Royal appeared, it may have been too different for comfort. A thought. Too me, the change was refreshing.

I really really wanted a change as I was bored with same ole same ole, but not at the expense do our personal space on our balcony. That was the single deal breaker for us and will continue to be with both Regal and Royal. But there are lots of cruise lines out there that will offer something different and a large balcony. We're super excited about Solstice in 2 weeks with a 3x the normal size deck.

Take ALL reviews with a grain of salt!

I was on the Royal and loved her would return in a heartbeat:)

Reader

I see what you did there.

Most of the Princess ships are SO similar that when the Royal appeared, it may have been too different for comfort. A thought. Too me, the change was refreshing.

I don't find the change that locked me out of sailing on her to be "refreshing." I'm referring, of course, to the absence of oceanview cabins. At least those who complained about soot can book a balcony on the sides of the ship. There is no acceptable substitute for window cabins. This was the worst thing Princess has ever done.

I see what you did there.

I don't find the change that locked me out of sailing on her to be "refreshing." I'm referring, of course, to the absence of oceanview cabins. At least those who complained about soot can book a balcony on the sides of the ship. There is no acceptable substitute for window cabins. This was the worst thing Princess has ever done.

The original a Royal Princess had no inside cabins

Can anyone comment upon the effects of the lack of a mid-ship staircase upon wait times for an elevator? We usually book mid-ship mini suite rooms, as this helps my husband avoid seasickness. We have a toddler who loves taking cruises, but can't really wait a long time for an elevator. I was really looking forward to the Royal Princess, but this might be deal breaker for our family.

Can anyone comment upon the effects of the lack of a mid-ship staircase upon wait times for an elevator? We usually book mid-ship mini suite rooms, as this helps my husband avoid seasickness. We have a toddler who loves taking cruises, but can't really wait a long time for an elevator. I was really looking forward to the Royal Princess, but this might be deal breaker for our family.

Hi, I had a midship cabin in December, and found the wait for the elevator very reasonable. Except for embarkation day (naturally) the midship elevator had great response times on my sailing . I've had MUCH longer waits in hotels when you think about it.

This is just my opinion though ... Others may have had a different experience.

Hope you enjoy your cruise! She's a lovely ship.

Edited by slc22

Before even the first cruise many were not happy with the Royal. Then the bad reviews started after the first sailing. People complained about no central staircase, no wrap around promenade deck, and the location of the toilet paper holder. After I sailed on her all I could say is how beautiful of a ship she is. I had few complaints. I would most certainly sail on her again. It was almost as if people had negative things to say no matter what. Guess I am always happy if I am on a cruise, even ones that had issues such as missing a bunch of ports(not the fault of Princess).

Hello

I agree with you. Having just booked a cruise to go on the Celeb Infinity, I was so so so excited. Only then to come across a couple of horrible reviews and now I am thinking may be I have made a mistake. This one person described the conditions on board that would make staying Brixton prison (in UK) more appealing (never stayed in prison mind). Another complaint that there was no laundry service. I have never understood this, people go on holiday and they want to wash their clothes. I have always packed more than enough. The longest holiday was 21 days and I made sure I had enough smalls to change twice a day, and plentiful of clothes both for casual day time and more sophisticated day time. I guess there are always some miserable people out there. I know sometimes things don;t go the way we wanted but reviews should be constructive. I will write a review about Cele Infinity upon my return. Btw I love Princess cruises

After embarkation day, we had no problems and we were on the Royal last week in a mid-ship cabin. :)

I agree. Now if they would price some of the obstructed balconies which aren't in prime locations to begin with,for the price of an ocean view that I could live with. The lack of central stairs isn't a deal breaker but I would never book mid ship. I like having the option of stairs or elevator. As far as the reviews go I can't see any ship on any line scoring a 1 unless the ship capsized or hit an iceberg and sunk. That Carnival cruise ship that died in the water would be a 1. Has anyone wrote a review about that ship. I don't recall the ship or the sailing.

It would be interesting to find out when Island Princess had this system installed.

;)

It is not that difficult. I work at a campus and we had chimes play outside on the half hour and hour. We changed our system and it can play any MP3, though it doesn't sound that great with most things. It is easier to swap what it plays.

It is not that difficult. I work at a campus and we had chimes play outside on the half hour and hour. We changed our system and it can play any MP3, though it doesn't sound that great with most things. It is easier to swap what it plays.

Are the ships horns air or steam powered? I guess what I was saying is that since Royal Princess was the first in the fleet to have it, and she entered service June 2013, when would Island Princess have had time to have this seven horn system installed? I don't believe she had a drydock since last June, and it's a little more complicated to install than what can be done on a turn around day in port.

I agree. Now if they would price some of the obstructed balconies which aren't in prime locations to begin with,for the price of an ocean view that I could live with.

Quite agree, and something I've been saying since last summer. This especially applies to the balconies behind the five tenders, but they should still be giving some kind of discounted price to those directly behind davits as well.

I had been looking at the short 3-day Regal Princess cruise for pricing only and noticed that even with the single supplement surcharge the price difference between a 1A inside and the cheapest balcony was only $100 total. Now if that was the case for a seven night cruise, say only a $200-250 increase (single occupancy surcharge) from a 1A to a BV Obstructed View then THAT makes more sense for those balconies on Emerald Deck whose views are affected by lifeboats.

They are air powered horns.

I think what occurred was the Island Princess played the theme over outside speakers and some passengers assumed that the multi horn array had been installed when it actually had not.

Mike:)