Request Couch Removal

afreetdragon

To me (person confined to a wheelchair) anything that is not needed in a room pretty much is just taking up space to which I could use.

I have been in situations before where a hotel states the room is HC accessible but when I arrive 10-12 hours from home I could hardly get in the room. So when I ask questions about rooms to me its not dumb or crazy its realistic. To the average person it may seem crazy to remove a couch and yes! I get that...but the comments were unnecessary. Thats all..No biggie

It's official They won't move it. I'll go on my cruise. I'll enjoy it. and i'll continue to cruise. The one thing I've learned is just not to ask a question or if i ask a question I just need to expect to get some jerky comments because people don't know my situation.

Have you booked a HC cabin? There should be plenty of room to move around even with the couch.

To me (person confined to a wheelchair) anything that is not needed in a room pretty much is just taking up space to which I could use.

I have been in situations before where a hotel states the room is HC accessible but when I arrive 10-12 hours from home I could hardly get in the room. So when I ask questions about rooms to me its not dumb or crazy its realistic. To the average person it may seem crazy to remove a couch and yes! I get that...but the comments were unnecessary. Thats all..No biggie

It's official They won't move it. I'll go on my cruise. I'll enjoy it. and i'll continue to cruise. The one thing I've learned is just not to ask a question or if i ask a question I just need to expect to get some jerky comments because people don't know my situation.

The one thing I've learned is just not to ask a question or if i ask a question I just need to expect to get some jerky comments because people don't know my situation.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, where everyone has an opinion and is more than happy to share it. :)

I was curious..I'm in room 1002 on the Liberty and it looks as though there is a couch

If I request it be removed will they do so?? I won't need it.

As this is a pull out sofa bed, it will be attached to the bulkhead, and they most likely will not remove it. Free standing furniture may be requested to be removed, and it would be stored in either a linen locker or in the hotel storeroom.

I was curious..I'm in room 1002 on the Liberty and it looks as though there is a couch

If I request it be removed will they do so?? I won't need it.

Sometimes, especially with a question like this, it's best to call Carnival directly and ask them. While most cruisers on here are knowledgeable of some things, it would be a real shot in the dark to find someone (not employed by any cruise line) that would have the answer for everything. By the way, the phone number for Carnival's Customer Service is 1-888-227-6482. Give them a call for the definitive answer.;)

Me thinks your skin is too thin. No one called you any names. Your question seemed odd to some folks and they were trying to understand in a humorous manner. As far as the comment about your husband, take a deep breath and go back and read it again. Maybe then you will see the humor in it.

Happy sailing.

By the way why do you want to remove the couch?

OP I'm sorry for most of the responses you have received here, thankfully the posters are only a small percent of the total cruisers on the ship. Hopefully the room will be large enough and you will have a great cruise. Sometimes people should think before they post. I also saw no humor in these posts.

Sometimes, especially with a question like this, it's best to call Carnival directly and ask them. While most cruisers on here are knowledgeable of some things, it would be a real shot in the dark to find someone (not employed by any cruise line) that would have the answer for everything. By the way, the phone number for Carnival's Customer Service is 1-888-227-6482. Give them a call for the definitive answer.;)

like!:)

From what I saw on the Miracle, the HC accesible rooms were already minus the couch due to the layout for wheelchair access. I don't know if this is the same for the rest of the fleet, but the Spirit class seems to be minus the couch for HC access rooms.

[quote name='afreetdragon']To me (person confined to a wheelchair) anything that is not needed in a room pretty much is just taking up space to which I could use.

It's official They won't move it. I'll go on my cruise. I'll enjoy it. and i'll continue to cruise. The one thing I've learned is just not to ask a question or if i ask a question I just need to expect to get some jerky comments because people don't know my situation.[/quote]

Hi, my DH is a full time w/c user also.....I completely agree with you! Wished they would take tables, couch everything else out that we don't use but like others said they don't have anywhere to put it. we generally just shove everything against the wall to have more space and NO we have NEVER used the couch in our cabin it is of no use to us. don't feel bad about asking the question because I understand where your coming from!

Had the OP posed the question saying they needed accessibility due to wheelchair issues I'm sure they would not have received so many "snarky" comments. Please make your questions or issues clear so the "audience" doesnot need to assume anything.

[B][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="2"]These staterooms are not all that big. I can't imagine all the mess that would have to be made to move that couch. I've slept on that couch before and I am pretty positive it's attached to the wall.

Your thread reminds me of that thread a few weeks ago where someone asked if they can move their bed closer to the balcony door.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/B] :p

[quote name='afreetdragon']To me (person confined to a wheelchair) anything that is not needed in a room pretty much is just taking up space to which I could use.

It's official They won't move it. I'll go on my cruise. I'll enjoy it. and i'll continue to cruise. The one thing I've learned is just not to ask a question or if i ask a question I just need to expect to get some jerky comments because people don't know my situation.[/QUOTE]

Is it clear this is a HC cabin? If so, what have all the previous handicapped done with the cabin furniture? If a couch has proven to be a liability, it likely wouldn't be there.

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Is it clear this is a HC cabin? If so, what have all the previous handicapped done with the cabin furniture? If a couch has proven to be a liability, it likely wouldn't be there.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I checked the cabin, which is how I found that it is a sofa bed. That is a 4 person cabin, two twins (or one king), sofa bed, and Pullman.

It's official They won't move it. I'll go on my cruise. I'll enjoy it. and i'll continue to cruise. The one thing I've learned is just not to ask a question or if i ask a question I just need to expect to get some jerky comments because people don't know my situation.[/quote]

I am going to defend you. I, myself have never been in a wheelchair but my mother was and until you have to deal with the situation of using a wheel chair you have no idea. People take advantage of being able to just walk through a clothing store but with a wheelchair it is nearly impossible. Don't judge unless you have been in this lady's shoes.

Not to sound crass but, I agree that, had the OP explained why they would like the sofa removed, some of the responses might not have been so flippant. Having said that, I went back and re-read this entire thread and, with the exception of perhaps one or two comments, I really saw nothing that should cause the OP to get her knickers in an uproar (I actually thought the floatation device comment was hilarious).

[quote name='Linerguy']Not to sound crass but, I agree that, had the OP explained why they would like the sofa removed, some of the responses might not have been so flippant. Having said that, I went back and re-read this entire thread and, with the exception of perhaps one or two comments, I really saw nothing that should cause the OP to get her knickers in an uproar (I actually thought the floatation device comment was hilarious).[/QUOTE]

First off, my knickers where and still are not in an uproar. Second I was unaware that I had to explain my entire life history just to get the answer to a question that I felt could be answered with a simple Yes, they will or No they probably won't.

I'm going to continue cruising and continue enjoying cruise critic but I do realize that there are people here who seem to just not understand or care about other people's feelings and how some remarks might be taken.

I apologize for wearing my heart on my sleeve and caring about what people think of me. I do not need a "thick skin".

I'm fine with a very "thin skin" that cares how I treat people. I would never make the judgmental comments to someone else that I have read here. Yes, I agree that some comments were funny but some were not.

That is all that needs to be said.

The answer to my question is NO! IT CAN NOT BE MOVED!!

I get it.. Now I will move on. No comment needed.

[quote name='slybear']Had the OP posed the question saying they needed accessibility due to wheelchair issues I'm sure they would not have received so many "snarky" comments. Please make your questions or issues clear so the "audience" doesnot need to assume anything.[/quote]

I agree with you on this.

The OP's original question did seem weird, but when she responded about being in a wheelchair, it made much more sense, Don't think she would have received any of the "snarky" comments she received.

If you ask a simple question, without including details, than you will get all kinds of answers. If you ask the same question, state you are in a wheelchair, and would like more room to move around, you won't get any answers, and someone will direct you to the special needs department where you can direct the question, and get an answer. It was in the way you asked, and because of that, the post became extremely humorous and fun