Here's What I've Been Told

kitty9

I enjoy traditional Britsh pubs, good beers and food and relaxed atmosphere, log fires in the winter, beer gardens in the summer, a nice place to be

The trouble is I think the type of pub that will end up on the ship will be far from traditional, it will be more like a Wetherspoons, for those of you not familiar the the brand, they offer cheap beer, cheap food, loud music, big sports screens, noisy and not relaxing , at least that is what P and O have ended up with , that is why I don't like those bars

The first option would be nice, the second no thanks, now my hubby would love it as he will watch any sports, but he does that at home, we go on holiday for something different to the norm :D

I can't see X offering cheap beer.

Wetherspoons do not play music or I can't remember any with sport on screens.

They offer a wide range of drinks and often are found in quite nice old refurbished buildings.

e.g.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-winter-gardens

Edited by helpthejuggler

Take it or leave it, for what it's worth.

They had a big meeting for all senior crew members yesterday, telling them of the upcoming changes. After speaking to a few different crew members, their tales were pretty much the same, except for one area----and right now only apply to Equinox. Cellar Masters will be changed to a British, tapas style pub with 30 draft beers and 30 bottled beers. They will serve small plates, which is a big thing in some places. There will also be big screen TV's for sports programming. Celebrity has listened to those who say they want a type of sports bar.

They tried that in Michael's club. If it didn't work there, why do they think it will work by moving the location. Ok, maybe bigger TV screens?

They tried that in Michael's club. If it didn't work there, why do they think it will work by moving the location. Ok, maybe bigger TV screens?

Unless I missed a change, folks on here were complaining that Michael's wasn't open during the afternoon, when many like to drink their beer. When used for the elite function, Michael's wasn't available to the general population until 7pm.

Well, I for one am not going to jump all over the OP for posting what was disclosed by crew members. It might be incomplete and even have a few contradictions, but at least it's something to chew on.

Three thoughts though:

An "English tapas pub" sounds like the worst invention from some lazy Hollywood scriptwriter. All we need is a "
cor blimey, Mary Poppins
!" Dick Van Dyke lookalike wearing a Spanish sombrero to serve the beer.

Regardless of how many craft beers there are, I sincerely hope one of them will be served with a head on it and at the correct temperature, not chilled enough to numb your teeth.

At least it means that Celebrity will get some decent sport available for viewing on board. The last time I managed to see a Formula 1 race at sea was with P&O, about six years ago.

Too funny! English tapas is an oxymoron to be sure. "Ave anotha tamale govena?"

Unless I missed a change, folks on here were complaining that Michael's wasn't open during the afternoon, when many like to drink their beer. When used for the elite function, Michael's wasn't available to the general population until 7pm.

You're right and add to that on the "S" class ships Michael's location never seemed to draw people in...Cellar Masters is in a more open location....might make a difference....who knows....I just like the idea of having that area offer something new because it is one of the most, if not THE most, underused public area on the ships.

I can't see X offering cheap beer.

Wetherspoons do not play music or I can't remember any with sport on screens.

They offer a wide range of drinks and often are found in quite nice old refurbished buildings.

e.g.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-winter-gardens

I stand corrected, it is Slug and Lettuce chain I am referring to, I am mixing up my pubs, I still don't care for either though, give me a quaint village pub anyday, but then I suppose I am spoilt living in the country

Looking at the itineraries I would assume that it's either the 6/14 cruise out of Venice or the 6/28 cruise out of Rome.

Oh my...we're on the 6/14 cruise out of Venice (plus the 6/21 cruise out of Istanbul). I wonder how big a big group of Italians is??

Jane

Oh my...we're on the 6/14 cruise out of Venice (plus the 6/21 cruise out of Istanbul). I wonder how big a big group of Italians is??

Jane

Quess I don't understand what the issue really is. Whether it is 1,000 Italian passengers or 1,000 American passengers, it is still 1,000 passengers (note just picked that number, it is not the true number).

I sailed on an expedition cruise where it was 1/2 folks from italy and to be perfectly honest, they acted the same as the rest of us. If they didn't speak Italian, no one would have know where they were from.

Why are people making such a big deal. When one cruises out of New York, is it a huge concern that 1,000 passengers might be from the East Coast?

So sorry, I meant ECO.

I did not want to give more details of what the activities staff told on Equinox but look for the staff to be much less, no more trivia, bingo goes to the Entertainment Staff and another "bar" somewhere on deck 5. Do not shoot the messenger. These are taking place on Equinox during her 11 day dry dock after she returns to Europe (on her way now) . So many times it is rumors but Cellar Masters is a definite on Equinox. The glass show is said to be going and a MOVIE SCREEN might take it's place. I won't be sailing on her again if this happens.

I can say they did honor requests to turn down loud music, but as everyone avoided the Martini Bar it wasn't' t any big deal.

Will you please explain what ECO stands for?

Will you please explain what ECO stands for?

I think ECO does not exist....I think he/she just threw it there TWICE to mess with people....at least that's what it appears because there is no cruiseline acronym of ECO......he/she has been asked multiple times with no response.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think ECO does not exist....I think he/she just threw it there TWICE to mess with people....at least that's what it appears because there is no cruiseline acronym of ECO......he/she has been asked multiple times with no response.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Which is why I asked also. I could not come up with any answers for ECO. This person was on a little while ago. Guess they're ignoring the requests.:o

Edited by cruisingator2

What Celebrity is doing is moving the beers (all in bottles BTW) from Michaels club to the Wine bar area ("Cellar Masters"). The wine bar was never ever busy on our last 3 cruises on X.

The beers in Michaels club were rather hidden to say the least and now will be more visible and maybe more tempting.....but will likely be off limits to Classic Beverage package as they are now

But unless X decides to finally have some beers on tap............it will be the same as has always existed in Michaels but many may have not noticed because of their location in Michaels

Michaels is being converted into an exclusive space for the suite guests..................X is trying to offer the high rollers some additional perks for that pricy cabin.

God help those of us who were happy when Perry Grant went from the Sky Lounge to Michaels on the Eclipse.......The Sky Lounge should be used for bands and dancing IMHO and not a single entertainer with a specialized group of followers......maybe they will put him in a more intimate space like the Quasar on Deck 4 or finally bite the bullet and rotate him among different ships to "spread the joy" for those who love him but would also like more choices in ships and itineraries

I like the idea but cannot imagine them ever going to beers on Tap. :D

Whilst I personally wouldn't use a British style pub I can see its attractions to many others.

I too am a bit stumped at British tapas style food........I do hope that they plan authentic British pub snacks, I'm sure you would all enjoy the culinary delights of a pickled egg, bag of salt and vinegar crisps or for the real foodies a bag of mixed nuts! :):)

All served with authentic warm beer. Actually I'm serious about the beer......it shouldn't be cold.

Debbie

You forgot the pork scratchings and the Watneys Red Barrel.

I like the idea but cannot imagine them ever going to beers on Tap. :D

I've never noticed, are there ANY beers on tap on the ships now?

In another head (pr perhaps father up this one) a poster commented that the motion of the ship would stir sediments in the kegs that would affect many craft beers. I doubt it'd be such an issue with the mass-produced beers. But that was an interesting observation I had not considered.

I've never noticed, are there ANY beers on tap on the ships now?

In another head (pr perhaps father up this one) a poster commented that the motion of the ship would stir sediments in the kegs that would affect many craft beers. I doubt it'd be such an issue with the mass-produced beers. But that was an interesting observation I had not considered.

My husband (a beer drinker) was told they had too much trouble with kegs on board, they had to give up on them. He misses draft beer too.

Regarding Cellar Masters, it's my favorite spot on the ship...I love it's peaceful, comfy atmosphere..not looking forward to that changing!

Jane

All four cruises I've been on had two beers on draft. I can't remember for sure because I never had them, but I think it was Heineken and Stella. That was two weeks ago on the Equinox.

I hope they have draft beer oboard the Solstice. Does anybody know?

Thanks

My husband (a beer drinker) was told they had too much trouble with kegs on board, they had to give up on them. He misses draft beer too.

Regarding Cellar Masters, it's my favorite spot on the ship...I love it's peaceful, comfy atmosphere..not looking forward to that changing!

Jane

The worst draft beer aboard a ship I sailed on was Carnival's red frog ale aboard the Splendor. (Horrible ship btw).

It tasted like somebodys first attempt at homebrew. AWFUL stuff. I think the lighter lagers and pilsners do ok on ships though.