Here's What I've Been Told

kitty9

Everything? :eek:

First I've heard about a movie screen.

Don't think I've heard that "everyone" avoided the martini bar, either.

I must admit, I'm a wee bit confused by "ECO" and "merger."

We were on this same cruise, and the martini bar was full every night except for some short periods in between show times. Trust me, this was THE most popular gathering place for many of us. Lol

I can say they did honor requests to turn down loud music, but as everyone avoided the Martini Bar it wasn't' t any big deal.

You did yourself a disservice if you avoided the Martini Bar. Hands down the best bar on the ship. Probably the only bar on the ship that knew their own menu items two weeks ago.

What I think is so funny, is that everyone is being told something different by Celebrity staff. One says there will be only 2 Activities staff and another says there will be 3. One says there will be trivia and another says no trivia. One says Cellar Masters will be this and another says it will be that. One says that in the pub you will pay for small plates. And one even talks about a merger, but won't give details. Wonder who is hearing the truth and who isn't. Maybe we should just wait and get the real scoop from Celebrity, before we get so upset.

The truth is the onboard crew does not know that much. Plus as I mentioned in another post they cue off of what they think you want to hear because they want to please you. That is why it seems like everyone is being told something different.

I agree. The Martini Bar is the best bar on Equinox.

I couldn't believe how many times I ordered a drink off of the menu from other bars and they had to look at the menu to see what was in the drink. Not much of a surprise that they usually weren't very good. I would have understood, a little, if this was the second cruise of the season in the caribbean. However, it was the second to the last cruise, they should know their menus by know. Ugh, I ordered a margarita on the rocks with a Grand Marnier floater and it came out as a frosty white drink...terrible of course. I don't even know what you add to a margarita to make it that color.

Conversely, nearly every drink we ordered in the Martini Bar was fantastic.

Am i the only one excited about a pub with 40 types of beer, sports, and "tapas" (whatever they means in the case of a British style pub)?

We are on Equinox on one of the first sailings after drydock, can't wait to try something new

no...don't believe you are the only one. I would also love it....love the tapas idea ...British or Spanish.

"Is there an Eco in here?"

I can imagine that merging the beers from Michaels with Wine from Celler Masters to create a new Irish/British/Spanish Tapas bar called "Echo" could be the middle ground from all the rumours.

Would not be surprised if the glass blowing is removed from a couple of ships.

Nice thought S class ships are, I prefer a little variety and don't spend any time at the glass blowing any more.

No no we do not want a British pub on board.!! I hate the thought of it and that is why we go on the mostly american crusie ships. I come from the UK and do not want to be reminded of it when on a cruise.!!

A British style pub with big sports screens oh no :eek: if I wanted that I would stick to sailing on P and O Azura, I do hope that Celebrity is not downgrading to that level

Great stuff, If people like you lot keep away it means there will be more people of the kind I like to mix with :D

By that I mean ordinary down to earth people without airs and graces.

Great stuff, If people like you lot keep away it means there will be more people of the kind I like to mix with :D

By that I mean ordinary down to earth people without airs and graces.

I'm pretty ordinary and down to earth but not looking forward to a pub atmosphere on a ship. I disliked it on QM2.

Not sure why people equate pubs with nice ordinary folk. There is no relationship.

I have only been in one pup in the UK and it was a historic place in Southampton to have fish and chips:). Here in Victoria, British Columbia (can you tell by the city/ province name haha) we have many pubs, Irish, Scottish and British. The all serve great food, have a huge variety of beers, usually all local craft beers, are family friendly, and are frequented regularly by locals and tourists alike. Are the pubs in the UK different?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No they are not Christine.

Pushka, the 3 cruises I have been on so far, only a couple of bars have tried to recreate the atmosphire of a British pub with none of them coming close. So based on that I wouldn't worry.

Anything Celebrity do will still be just a mock up, and there will still be plenty of other bars of course.

Edited by dwhe

I'm pretty ordinary and down to earth but not looking forward to a pub atmosphere on a ship. I disliked it on QM2.

Not sure why people equate pubs with nice ordinary folk. There is no relationship.

We enjoyed the Pub on both the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth. It was very busy at lunchtime and the food was good. They held the trivia games there in the PM. Just gives one more different place to eat lunch. They did not charge you any extra. We are nice ordinary people.

What other kind of people would you find in a pub onboard a ship.

Edited by cruisinggran

I have only been in one pup in the UK and it was a historic place in Southampton to have fish and chips:). Here in Victoria, British Columbia (can you tell by the city/ province name haha) we have many pubs, Irish, Scottish and British. The all serve great food, have a huge variety of beers, usually all local craft beers, are family friendly, and are frequented regularly by locals and tourists alike. Are the pubs in the UK different?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The British pub is in a steep decline and are closing or being converted to Chinese restaurants and the like. Breweries have had a stanglehold on the industry for years with ever increasing costs and rents as well as the draconian licensing laws and taxes here, have all added to its demise. Certainly where I live, there are very few pubs that where you can get a decent food, beer, and company and are full of 18 year olds determined to drink the bar dry and of course cannot handle its effects. The "good old" British pub is as rare as white gloved waiters and I can see why many of the UK posters do not relish the thought of a pub on board (not that I think there will be drunken scenes pre-dinner :D) This article explains - http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/aug/29/shut-british-pubs-drinkers

If X continue to develop a pub and it is successful, perhaps we may even learn from it. Heres hoping.

The truth is the onboard crew does not know that much. Plus as I mentioned in another post they cue off of what they think you want to hear because they want to please you. That is why it seems like everyone is being told something different.

SO true, and can be cultural as well. I spent a lot of time working in Egypt, and took me time to realize all the little white lies the "yes it will be done" etc. were all meant in a way to not send inappropriate information, but they felt it would be offensive to say "no" or something I didn't want to hear. It was very hard to get used to and understand when fact became fiction.

I wonder if many of the cultures of workers on the ship have similar custom.

Then there's also always the old "I ain't one to gossip, but ...." you get from workers...

Would not be surprised if the glass blowing is removed from a couple of ships.

Nice thought S class ships are, I prefer a little variety and don't spend any time at the glass blowing any more.

I think it's that type of unique yet never changing attraction needs to be refreshed frequently, every 3 years or so I'd say is enough time for people to partake in the experience and then rebrand or reimagine the space for new experiences.

I think a movie screen is a neat idea, but don't see it catching on at Celebrity.

Am i the only one excited about a pub with 40 types of beer, sports, and "tapas" (whatever they means in the case of a British style pub)?

We are on Equinox on one of the first sailings after drydock, can't wait to try something new

Nope, you are not alone. We too think that having a British style pub is a great idea. I also think that having the large screen TV's in the pub is a good idea.

For those that don't like pub grub or don't care for the sports atmosphere don't go to that venue. There are lots of other places on the ship. In other words to each his own. We don't particularly care for Qsine's but think that it's fine for those that do. Just because we don't like something doesn't make it a bad idea.

Just my $0.02 worth which is all that I have left after paying the imperial federal government yesterday. Everyone have a fine day out there.

:D:cool::D

Edited by Pilot70D

SO true, and can be cultural as well. I spent a lot of time working in Egypt, and took me time to realize all the little white lies the "yes it will be done" etc. were all meant in a way to not send inappropriate information, but they felt it would be offensive to say "no" or something I didn't want to hear. It was very hard to get used to and understand when fact became fiction.

I wonder if many of the cultures of workers on the ship have similar custom.

Then there's also always the old "I ain't one to gossip, but ...." you get from workers...

cle-guy,

I worked for five years in Saudi Arabia and discovered how different the Middle East culture was from the West. Also, we had a lot of contractors from Korea, Taiwan, Japan, India, Pakistan and the Philippines.

The East Asian contractors were very much into the get it done on schedule, as in the West, but the Middle East was very different. There is a fatalism evident in the Middle East that disappeared from Western culture three hundred years ago.

I had an interesting experience while on Celebrity Solstice on our Top End Australia cruise. Many of the ship's staff was Indonesian. I had a T-shirt from New Hampshire that said "Live Free or Die" and I remember a young Indonesian woman at the buffet seems shocked by the meaning of the T-shirt.

We have had a few minor maintenance issues while on X cruises, and found a strong mentality of fixing the problem that we appreciated.

What Celebrity is doing is moving the beers (all in bottles BTW) from Michaels club to the Wine bar area ("Cellar Masters"). The wine bar was never ever busy on our last 3 cruises on X.

The beers in Michaels club were rather hidden to say the least and now will be more visible and maybe more tempting.....but will likely be off limits to Classic Beverage package as they are now

But unless X decides to finally have some beers on tap............it will be the same as has always existed in Michaels but many may have not noticed because of their location in Michaels

Michaels is being converted into an exclusive space for the suite guests..................X is trying to offer the high rollers some additional perks for that pricy cabin.

God help those of us who were happy when Perry Grant went from the Sky Lounge to Michaels on the Eclipse.......The Sky Lounge should be used for bands and dancing IMHO and not a single entertainer with a specialized group of followers......maybe they will put him in a more intimate space like the Quasar on Deck 4 or finally bite the bullet and rotate him among different ships to "spread the joy" for those who love him but would also like more choices in ships and itineraries

Nope, you are not alone. We too think that having a British style pub is a great idea. I also think that having the large screen TV's in the pub is a good idea.

For those that don't like pub grub or don't care for the sports atmosphere don't go to that venue. There are lots of other places on the ship. In other words to each his own. We don't particularly care for Qsine's but think that it's fine for those that do. Just because we don't like something doesn't make it a bad idea.

Just my $0.02 worth which is all that I have left after paying the imperial federal government yesterday. Everyone have a fine day out there.

:D:cool::D

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

I enjoy traditional Britsh pubs, good beers and food and relaxed atmosphere, log fires in the winter, beer gardens in the summer, a nice place to be

The trouble is I think the type of pub that will end up on the ship will be far from traditional, it will be more like a Wetherspoons, for those of you not familiar the the brand, they offer cheap beer, cheap food, loud music, big sports screens, noisy and not relaxing , at least that is what P and O have ended up with , that is why I don't like those bars

The first option would be nice, the second no thanks, now my hubby would love it as he will watch any sports, but he does that at home, we go on holiday for something different to the norm :D