Prepay Gratuities?

katrocity1

Should we prepay our gratuities? What are the pro's and cons?

Are you expected to pay more on top of the automatic required grats?

Our first cruise is coming up in 40 days on Celebrity Summit. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's strictly a personal preference whether or not you choose to prepay the gratuities. While I'm sure the staff members appreciate it, you're never expected to pay more. That too is a personal preference.

On my last trip I removed the right of the cruise line to use my credit card for gratuities. I did this at the front desk and picked up envelopes to give out cash where I saw fit.

Cruise lines put the brunt of paying their employees properly on the heads of their guests, and then you end up with surprieses beyond your control.

On my last trip I removed the right of the cruise line to use my credit card for gratuities. I did this at the front desk and picked up envelopes to give out cash where I saw fit.

Cruise lines put the brunt of paying their employees properly on the heads of their guests, and then you end up with surprieses beyond your control.

I have found the cruise line to be very upfront about the amount of tip they will charge to your account. I look at it as part of the cost of the cruise. From my experience, we have always gotten excellent service, so I have never objected to the autotip.

The auto gratuities are a pre-determined amount, and that information is provided by the cruise lines up front. It hardly qualifies as a "surprise". Gratuities are suggested, not required, and certainly not beyond your control. If it was an amount beyond your control, cruise prices would be $80.00 (or more) higher per person. Then, your statement "Cruise lines put the brunt of paying their employees properly on the heads of their guests" would be correct.

I very often start buying OBC or drink packages 3 or 4 months ahead of the cruise. That way payment is spread out over several months. I would rather have several smaller payments on the credit card each month than one big one at the end of the cruise.

Apparently on some lines, the crew who receive cash from guests who cancel the auto-grat are required to turn in the cash to be distributed as defined by the auto-grat guidelines. IN addition, the crew is questioned as to why the service was inadequate to cause a guest to remove the gratuity. So you may be giving it out as you see fit, but in some cases, if you removed the gratuity, the crew will be called out.

Plus, if you do it at the beginning of the cruise - the whole crew may know full well who you are....

just something to think about

Edited by Mytime2014

I wish folks would use the "search" function before asking a question that has been addressed time and time again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think some people don't even realize that there is a "Search" function on here.

I wish folks would use the "search" function before asking a question that has been addressed time and time again.

I wish people on the boards wouldn't be so negative and snarky. This is supposed to be a friendly forum where first time cruisers like me can ask whatever we want.

I did try searching first but it didn't bring up good results. The search tool on this forum doesn't work very well.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Forums mobile app

Why pay something much before the time payment is due?

I wouldn't prepay months in advance, but wouldn't be opposed to doing so a week in advance.

We typically put the suggested on the credit card but hand additional cash to those we felt went over and above. Best of both worlds for them.

I think some people don't even realize that there is a "Search" function on here.

sometimes when I have a question, I've scrolled through a few search results and they're from 2004...2008, etc. And, I'll scroll through a few pages back to see if there's a title. A lot of times, I want an up to date answer, so I'll just ask it.

gratuities is pretty common though and doesn't change much.

I wish people on the boards wouldn't be so negative and snarky. This is supposed to be a friendly forum where first time cruisers like me can ask whatever we want.

I did try searching first but it didn't bring up good results. The search tool on this forum doesn't work very well.

^^^^ This!!!!^^^^

Though it is primitive in some respects, the "search" function works just fine. I just entered "prepaid gratuities" in the main menu "search" bar and among the first few citations found a "guide to cruise tipping" article from the CC editors with about 250 replies (most recently - May 2014.)

Though it is primitive in some respects, the "search" function works just fine. I just entered "prepaid gratuities" in the main menu "search" bar and among the first few citations found a "guide to cruise tipping" article from the CC editors with about 250 replies (most recently - May 2014.)

When you see a question asked.....ESPECIALLY on a "First Time Cruisers" forum could you just cut them a little slack?

Remember we are all first time cruisers at one time!!!

When you see a question asked.....ESPECIALLY on a "First Time Cruisers" forum could you just cut them a little slack?

Nicely said.

Thank you

Safe travels

Sea Ya

Amen exactly! Well said! If you don't want to be nice and helpful, don't answer questions on the first timers board.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the comments and advice. I'm going to wait to pay gratuities until the end of the cruise.

Just curious - are you going to have them deduct the gratuity from your account at the beginning of the cruise? That would be so much better for your steward, because if you do it at the end, he/she has to come answer to his superior about why your service was inadequate for you to have canceled the gratuity?

If you do it at the beginning, they will know its just you and it won't be such a negative experience for your steward.

ETA: I just realized, you didn't mean you were going to cancel the gratuity, just that you were not going to put it on your card/pay cash until the end of your cruise....we got OBC with booking and I have canceled that amount in my head since it covers the gratuity fee....but not everyone starts out with OBC. Never mind.....

Edited by Mytime2014

If you want to be frugal and pay less than the suggested daily charge - that is your business. However, it can hardly be called a surprise. They clearly tell you in advance that that charge is $12.50 per person per day. The math is very easy to do.

DON