Near-Drowning on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas Revives Cruise Ship Lifeg

We were on this cruise when this dreadful accident happened. All credit to the children who raised the alarm, the adults poolside who immediately gave medical treatment, and the speed of the ship's medical staff who undoubtedly saved this little boy's life. The Captain told guests exactly what had happened and praised all those mentioned above for their quick thinking and actions. Towards the end of the cruise we were informed that the child was stable and recovering in a French hospital.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is an important story for all of us. Drowning does not look like we think it does. It is SILENT, and that is why these are happening. Read, watch, and see....

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/25583480/investigators-drowning-is-silent#.U4toUCzhi-k.facebook

Excellent and eye-opening. Thank you!

Here's another to ponder regarding the effectiveness of lifeguards:

http://www.poseidon-tech.com/us/pressArticleWWA0205.pdf

Unfortunately it seems that most cruise staff are unwilling or unable to enforce rules. Even if a lifeguard observed activity that posed a risk to others, would they be likely to put a stop to it?

Just because little Johnny is holding another child's head underwater, I doubt that a lifeguard would have the nerve to blow a whistle and yell, "Hey you, out of the pool!" Heaven forbid, Johnny's parents might hear that whistle while they're sitting at the bar and say they paid for their kid's vacation and he can do whatever he wants!

This boy is only 6 years old, why weren't the parents watching him at all times in that pool!!!! Even if the child was 10 years old you never stop watching your kids in pools, sorry but I say the parents neglected their son. For those who disagree with me, parents are suppose to protect, watch and make sure their children are safe, surely things happen that are unforeseen but this child was in a pool and whether the child is a great swimmer or not doesn't mean the parent take their eyes off the child. This is a typical case of child neglect. (For those who will argue with me sorry but you go to child services and explain this situation and they will say it is child neglect).

Thank goodness for the quick responds of the guests who gave aide to this child.

Drowning can happen in an inch of water and only takes seconds for it to happen.

We were on a cruise last year and told our grandson no swimming alone. He was 11 y/o, we thought he was at the kids club. We were on the lido deck and notice him in the pool having a grand olde time.. tells us he "wasn't swimming alone.. he had a friend... Oh, really, he did get a warm butt, lecture and NO swimming unless WE the adults were there. Also no longer to check in or out w/o consent from the kids club.

Parents really need to keep both eyes on children in water.

Used to put a bright color shirt on my son so I can see him easily if needed to.

Cathy

Just one question.

Where were the parents?

Here we go. Maybe they were passed out drunk at a bar. Or maybe they were 20 feet away. No way to know or assume, since there is no amount of parental vigilance that can prevent this kind of thing 100%.

I've wondered why cruise ship pools don't have the high tech pool monitoring systems you see at many health club pools. I'm sure they're expensive, but not in comparison to what a cruise ship costs. Possibly the pools are so crowded the systems wouldn't be effective, or maybe without lifeguards to act on the warning the system can't do much.

http://www.poseidon-tech.com/us/system.html

This boy is only 6 years old, why weren't the parents watching him at all times in that pool!!!! Even if the child was 10 years old you never stop watching your kids in pools, sorry but I say the parents neglected their son. For those who disagree with me, parents are suppose to protect, watch and make sure their children are safe, surely things happen that are unforeseen but this child was in a pool and whether the child is a great swimmer or not doesn't mean the parent take their eyes off the child. This is a typical case of child neglect. (For those who will argue with me sorry but you go to child services and explain this situation and they will say it is child neglect).

wow. I love message boards.

I'll just say, that on one hand I can guess *why* they choose not to have lifeguards (because doing so could arguably mean accepting responsibility for any incidents that did occur regardless of parental nearness). On the other hand, I think it's appalling that they don't. If you really want people to believe it's a safe vacation, they need to make it so.

wow. I love message boards.

No kidding, right? I was a lifeguard in college and I have 21 years USCG experience and in the course of my career, I've seen people go under right in front of me. Despite having them out in mere seconds, they still drowned. A breath of saltwater is not a good thing, people. Thank goodness IOS pools are fresh water or this article might have a different headline. It is so freakn' unreasonable to immediately jump on the "blame the parents" bandwagon. Blame blame blame. That's all some people know what to do. I don't know what kind of super planet we live on nowadays where accidents don't exist. :rolleyes:

As for lifeguards, I understand both sides of the argument and truthfully, I don't what which side is right.

Edited by Aquahound

No kidding, right? I was a lifeguard in college and I have 21 years USCG experience and in the course of my career, I've seen people go under right in front of me. Despite having them out in mere seconds, they still drowned. A breath of saltwater is not a good thing, people. Thank goodness IOS pools are fresh water or this article might have a different headline. It is so freakn' unreasonable to immediately jump on the "blame the parents" bandwagon. Blame blame blame. That's all some people know what to do. I don't know what kind of super planet we live on nowadays where accidents don't exist. :rolleyes:

As for lifeguards, I understand both sides of the argument and truthfully, I don't what which side is right.

Interesting point, I've lifeguarded many years ago in my youth at inland pools. I've never given any thought to inhaling saltwater in large quantities. It certainly can't make rescue/treatment any easier.

I totally agree with you. A child that young needs adult supervision 100% of the time. The parent(s) should have been in the pool with him period.

I haven't read anything here that I disagree with - even with you who disagree with each other. All are true. Parents are ultimately responsible for their kids. Lifegaurds might create a false sense of security and open the cruiseline for lawsuits (gotta love them lawyers.)

We're all here for each other, folks. Parents watch your kids, the rest of us will watch too. Royal Caribbean, get the lifeguards - and a few more lawyers. Accidents will still happen. Say a prayer.

Just because a parent is near by, does not mean the child is being watched. I personally, while in a pool asked a little boy who was having difficulty trying to get to the edge of the pool, where are your parents?? I had helped him to the edge. I got out of the pool and went to the bar where his father was sitting enjoying his beer and told him what happened. The father's response was "he'll be ok". He then turned around and continued talking with the other guy.

Not all parents have this attitude, thankfully, but parents must learn to keep an eye on their child at all times.

Just had to get that off my chest. It has been bothering me for a long time that some parent could disregard their child like that.

Edited by retiredgram
sp.

Just one question.

Where were the parents?

And where were they for the past 6 years, when the child should have been learning to swim? No one should let their kids get this old without learning how to swim.

Drowning can happen in an inch of water and only takes seconds for it to happen.

Lets not get ridiculous Cathy. The only way that could happen is if the child drank the water and it saturated his brain.

Lets not get ridiculous Cathy. The only way that could happen is if the child drank the water and it saturated his brain.

Actually, this is a fact. Although it may not be the traditional idea of drowning. It only takes a couple drops of water aspirated into the lungs. Sometimes this is referred to as secondary drowning and it is a very serious situation. That is why, if your child ever has a "near" drowning be sure to keep a close eye on them afterwards.

I do not see lawsuits as a good reason NOT to have lifeguards, surely it's better than NOT having them. Even for capable swimmers old enough to swim "alone" with friends.......... say age 14, most pax would LIKE a lifeguard there inforcing some rules and order among the kids in pool area.

Disney has accepted this "lawsuit risk" and I think providing lifeguards is a reasonable expense for all cruise lines that could economically be based onto cruise fares w/o any 'pain'. Too many pax and too small of pools leads to crowded pools where big and small accidents can happen. Lifeguards are a good thing.