Thank you to those who "cruised" on June 6, 1944

Wasn't a fun cruise, I know that much, but I will never be able to really appreciate what you did for the world.

Looking forward to my 2 week Normandy vacation next month to pay tribute to these brave individuals.

Thank you so much!

lcvp4.jpg

size0-army.mil-2007-06-06-120525.jpg

Edited by Toddcan

Wasn't a fun cruise, I know that much, but I will never be able to really appreciate what you did for the world.

Looking forward to my 2 week Normandy vacation next month to pay tribute to these brave individuals.

Thank you so much!

lcvp4.jpg

size0-army.mil-2007-06-06-120525.jpg

Couldn't agree with you more. Such brave souls. Normandy is definitely on my bucket list as is Pearl Harbor. Have a great time when you go.

Couldn't agree with you more. Such brave souls. Normandy is definitely on my bucket list as is Pearl Harbor. Have a great time when you go.

I have a lot of interest in most things to do with WW2. Especially anything airplane related. I toured the Normandy sites 7 years ago, and am lucky to be able to go back again- this time with my DW, who has never been to Europe before (yes, we are spending a few days in Paris - staying within a 3 minute walk of the tower!)

I've been to Pearl Harbor too, which was amazing!

If you are wanting to see ww2 history-do Normandy first. SO much to see and do there. Pearl Harbor is a maximum 2 day visit (give you more time for GORGEOUS Hawaii!), but Normandy is easily a 4-5 day visit.

But, sadly, flight prices are a killer. It takes me about 18 months to earn enough Frequent Flyer miles to get free tickets. In the interim, I cruise (driving to Florida!). Paying cash for flights to EU - will cost you around $1,000 pp. A little less to Hawaii, but not far off.

It is very unfortunate that younger people these days seem to have little comprehension of what happened back then. When Tom Brokaw titled those folks the "Greatest Generation" he hit the nail right on the head.

I remember my own father sharing stories of WWII

I am so glad I took the time to listen.

My dad along with his 3 brothers all served proudly.

My Uncle was awarded a Purple Heart.

May all the men who served and are no longer with us, rest in Peace.

Thank You

Sea Ya

Thank you for the post. A day to Remember.

My dad spent two years then in France ,Belgium, and Germany 1944 and 1945

He was 30 years old when drafted, wife had passed away single parent with a 4 year old son. Times were for sure different from today. We still have all letters sent back home .

Thank you for this.....my grandfather was a medic during the invasion and by the grace of God survived. Never spoke much about it except that he saw things no human should see.

A sidenote.....during the 1980's my grandmother wanted to see Paris for their anniversary. My grandfather's reply "Already been there and the Parisian government were a bunch of cowards." My memere went to Paris but with her daughter.

Many thanks to the "greatest generation"!!!

When Tom Brokaw titled those folks the "Greatest Generation" he hit the nail right on the head.

Ain't that the truth!

On this topic, History Channel recently released a new mini series called World Wars. It does an excellent job telling the story of both the Axis Powers and the Allied Forces. Of course, we know how it ends, which makes it that much better! :)

Yes thank you all vets but mostly the vets of the GREATEST GENERATION-ever. My father was at Normady and i wish the younger people really knew what these guys did for the world. If it wasn't for them the world would be worse then it is now.Its too bad we are losing so many of these BRAVE men every day. I wish i could shake everyone of their hands and thank them, rest in peace...

Thank you to my dad and all like him! He was a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne Division. Went in the night before. You know, if it wasn't for all those guys we'd be speaking german right now! He will always be my hero!

Elvis

Thank you to my dad and all like him! He was a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne Division. Went in the night before. You know, if it wasn't for all those guys we'd be speaking german right now! He will always be my hero!

Elvis

Without those wonderful heros I wouldn't be here at all.... they were selfless, incredible young men and women.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We will always be grateful for what these veterans have endured and done for us. We have toured Normandy and Pearl Harbor and found both to be a very moving and humbling experience.

Mary Ann

We toured Normandy after our TA aboard Independence in 2009. If you are interested in doing something like that post any cruise ending in Southampton, the ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg is very reasonable. And the Royal Navy museum in Portsmouth is worth seeing if you have some time waiting for the ferry.

And I add my thanks and respect to those who participated 70 years ago.

Many thanks and God bless to all those who served .

They truly were /are The Greatest Generation. I love talking with the ones we are still lucky enough to have around . Phooey on Political Correctness , They knew how to do a job and get it done. In War time and Peace time.

My dad and his brother served in Germany in WWII. And I've had the honor to walk the beaches of Normandy and visit the hallowed ground of the cemetary there. Men and women of that generation saved the world...literally and for that we will always be greatful. Most young people...under 30, really don't know much about WWII but should. If nothing else movies like Saving Private Ryan should be mandatory in schools. My thanks and appreciation to men and women who stood up and saved the world...they sacrficed so much. My wish is that we honor their service and sacrifices by leading and standing up now as we did then...something the country currently is not doing.

I loved Pearl, so much to do and see. However like a dumba$$, I went to Le Havre, France in 91 and had a chance to visit Normandy and didn't. The ship I was on that went there....USS Normandy. Wish I could go back and tell that 21yo kid to go visit. SMH.