Trouble in Europe -- Credit Card with no chip?

schwabby

Responsibility for fraud is set by the terms rather than the technology. Credit card issuers in Europe have used the chip technology as an excuse to shift the burden to the consumer.

igraf

It is unclear to me why someone would believe that if a credit card with a chip is compromised, the cardholder is responsible for the loss.

Our card was compromised. There was absolutely no issue with who was responsible for the charge...the bank who issued the card. We simply had to sign off to verify that the charges were not incurred by us. That was the extent of it.

We will be sailing to Ireland, Scotland, and Norway this summer. Someone told me you must have a credit card with a chip to use in some of these places and that this requirement started this year. Can anyone who has cruised or visited these countries this year if they found it to be a problem if they had no chip in their credit card. My two credit card companies say they don't issue cards with chips yet. I really don't want to take out another credit card.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Schwabby

I suggest using ATMs and getting the cash you need to buy what you want..or getting it ahead of time and storing in the safe. Europe does use the chips. We've not been refused yet but that may be coming. We try to avoid the cards for security reasons. In Rome we encountered a young man going around and asking for change for parking meters in the a.m. on the way to the subway station. He was carrying something that looked like a camera on his arm. We did not have change but thought nothing of it as there was a parking fee machine nearby. We returned to the hotel later and there he was asking again. He took off when DH said something to him about his asking before. We later saw him a third time at the Colesseum where an unsuspecting woman was unloading her purse to give him change. If you do get a card with a chip, put it in one of those aluminum or coated holders, and beware of people trying to use card readers remotely.

Just a word of caution. Some US banks are in the process of issuing chipped cards.....just got a couple of letters saying I'd be getting a new chipped card....but these are not the same technology as non-US chip and PIN cards, it's chip and signature and is not compatible with chip and PIN. The cards will still have the magnetic strip which worked everywhere in the Med last month.

We travel with several cards in case one is rejected, stolen, whatever. Cards can be rejected even if the credit card company knows you are travelling etc. And it does not seem to based on purchase amount. We had one rejected for $50. in a small Costa Rican town.

We always use our credit card rather than our bank convenience card. We have noticed that in some bank ATM screens it is more than a little confusing as to where the money is coming from-cash advance or withdrawal. The first choice looks like a bank withdrawal but was actually a Visa advance.

Fortunately it did not seem right and I withdrew the card and cancelled the transaction. We then went back again, logged in , and saw the screen. Sure enough this was the case. We have experienced this in Europe (Italy, Croatia, and Turkey) and in Thailand.

The tip off to us is that when we used these bank ATM's, the English option was not nearly as concise as other bank ATM's that we have used. I wish that we would have made a note of the financial institutions (we always use a bank ATM and try to use one in working hours that is physically inside the bank) that did this.

What is the difference between a bank card and a credit card? The only card we have from our bank is a credit card.

Since we pay off the bill in full every month we never incur interest charges.

My bank card is what I use in the ATM machine. We used to call it an Instabank card. But now it is used as my bank ID, for lack of a better term. I just was at the bank to put things into the safety deposit box and they won't do anything until I show them my bank card.

I have a credit card issued by the same bank. But it is the bank card that accesses our banking information, ATM, etc.

What is the difference between a bank card and a credit card? The only card we have from our bank is a credit card.

Bank card is what you use at ATM's to access your account, while a credit card is simply used to charge purchases. Most (but not all) bank cards are also either Visa or MasterCard cards and can be used as credit cards - they will have the appropriate logo.

bank card - debit card - whatever name you want to use - is the card you use in the banking machines and stores to access your bank accounts.

If you put your credit card in the machine and take cash - it is a cash advance. Cash advances are charged interest immediately. There is no 'free' period. It doesn't matter if you pay it off every month or not. That is why I made the suggestion I did.

Responsibility for fraud is set by the terms rather than the technology. Credit card issuers in Europe have used the chip technology as an excuse to shift the burden to the consumer.

igraf

Not sure where you get your information from but I can assure you that we are well covered if there is fraudulent activity on our credit cards (also with our debit cards). Monies taken are refunded very quickly.

bank card - debit card - whatever name you want to use - is the card you use in the banking machines and stores to access your bank accounts.

If you put your credit card in the machine and take cash - it is a cash advance. Cash advances are charged interest immediately. There is no 'free' period. It doesn't matter if you pay it off every month or not. That is why I made the suggestion I did.

Same here in UK. Money taken directly from our bank (or cash/current) account for goods or cash we call a debit card.

Most of the larger stores here also give cash back on your debit card which is free and saves hunting for an ATM. Sooo, if you have shopped in places like Marks & Spencer, Tescos, Boots plus many others you will also be asked if you'd like cash too. All with chip & pin, though.

igraf

The only burden to the consumer is signing off on it. There is no burden in the event of a card being compromised. It happens seldom now, but someone earlier suggested a card protector or holder, which is a good idea, because crooks have come up with a card reader that can scam your card in a pocket.

Go to London twice a year (daughter lives there) and never had a problem with a 5-digit code debit card at ATM's. Use a 5-digit credit card for all purchases also.

Must say, I don't know anyone who has more than 4 figure pins:confused:

We had trouble in some of the train stations in Italy. The ticket machines wouldn't take the CC without a chip and pin. So, we would either use cash or wait in line (usually long) at a ticket window to use a credit card. Stores and restaurants were not an issue.

Both my DH (Visa) and my (MC) cards are combined debit or CC card. You select which account you want to use.Both are automatically paid off monthly.

When we travel o/s we always load one of the CC cards with a credit balance. We can then take cash advances without incurring interest.

Edited by Stratheden

The only burden to the consumer is signing off on it. There is no burden in the event of a card being compromised. It happens seldom now' date=' but someone earlier suggested a card protector or holder, which is a good idea, because crooks have come up with a card reader that can scam your card in a pocket.[/quote']

More and more, I see people keeping their cards in protective sleeves. We use them and the card still fits into a wallet slot. You can buy them in any luggage store. I also have a PacSafe travel purse that has a built in radio wave blocker so crooks cannot use a reader to steal passport information either.

One poster mentioned that others can see you enter your PIN. Fixed terminals have privacy shields and with hand held ones you can just turn away and privately enter your number. Waiters who bring the terminal to your table and clerks who hand you the terminal will turn away as you enter your info. It is the proper etiquette. Also, without the card in their possession, there isn't much a crook can do with a PIN number. The machines require both a card and a PIN.

I like it because you no longer have to hand your card to a waiter who disappears with it. Nobody handles my card but me.

• 3 weeks later...
SNIP

Train tickets in Holland - No Chip,

Upon return home had a notice in the mail from Citibank that one of my Visa cards would have a chip upon renewal. Only problem is they charge a foreign exchange fee.:mad:

SNIP

Just a word of caution. Some US banks are in the process of issuing chipped cards.....just got a couple of letters saying I'd be getting a new chipped card....but these are not the same technology as non-US chip and PIN cards, it's chip and signature and is not compatible with chip and PIN. The cards will still have the magnetic strip which worked everywhere in the Med last month.

We received our first Chip & signature credit card from Chase yesterday.. On the back it has a a magnetic strip, but no place for our signatures which is fine with me.. We also received a notice from Chase which read:

Quote This embedded microchip allows you to use your card for chip based purchases when traveling outside the United States, while still allowing you to use your card as you do at home. Unquote

Only problem is Chase also charges a foreign exchange fee, so we'll continue to use our Capital One cards when outside the U.S. On the reverse side of the notice was instructions with a picture of how to use the card reader.. BTW I purchased the protective sleeves from Amazon & use them for all our cards..

http://www.amazon.com/Identity-Stronghold-Secure-Sleeve-Credit/dp/B00CMA56IC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1404256743&sr=8-14&keywords=rfid+protection+sleeves

Edited by serendipity1499

Only problem is Chase also charges a foreign exchange fee, so we'll continue to use our Capital One cards when outside the U.S.

Some Chase cards do not charge a foreign transaction fee. The Chase Sapphire card is one.

SNIP

Train tickets in Holland - No Chip,

Upon return home had a notice in the mail from Citibank that one of my Visa cards would have a chip upon renewal. Only problem is they charge a foreign exchange fee.:mad:

SNIP

We received our first Chip & signature credit card from Chase yesterday.. On the back it has a a magnetic strip, but no place for our signatures which is fine with me.. We also received a notice from Chase which read:

Quote This embedded microchip allows you to use your card for chip based purchases when traveling outside the United States, while still allowing you to use your card as you do at home. Unquote

Only problem is Chase also charges a foreign exchange fee, so we'll continue to use our Capital One cards when outside the U.S. On the reverse side of the notice was instructions with a picture of how to use the card reader.. BTW I purchased the protective sleeves from Amazon & use them for all our cards..

http://www.amazon.com/Identity-Stronghold-Secure-Sleeve-Credit/dp/B00CMA56IC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1404256743&sr=8-14&keywords=rfid+protection+sleeves

Change your card to a Chase one that doesn't charge FTFs. We adore Sapphire Plus.

Some Chase cards do not charge a foreign transaction fee. The Chase Sapphire card is one.

Mine is a Chase Freedom Card, which I've had before we were married & that's 38 years ago...OMG can't believe its that long!:eek:.. It was a Master card & now Chase replaced it with a Visa card with a high limit.. I refuse to pay for a Credit card! We use my Chase card only for our HAL bill & have it for emergencies.. It goes into our safe as soon as we board..

However, DH & I each have Capital One Cards (2 different account numbers) & requested low limits of only $5,000 each.. In addition, we requested that the limit never be increased & to top it off we each have our pictures on them from the beautiful Butchart Gardens in Vancouver.. So I hope they never replace them..

We only use the Capital One cards when purchasing things out of the country..

P.S. Do you all pay for your Chase Saphire Cards? According to the WEB site they are free the first year & then $95a year thereafter, which I refuse to pay..

Edited by serendipity1499

Do you need the chip thingy in Canada?

No. You can still use the "old fashioned" cards.:D The machines are able to read both kinds (at most places, anyway).

And remember - the chip and pin is for your own security. M/card and Visa want you to spend as much as possible and won't throw too many obstacles in your way!

Edited by Marco's Tia

Before it is inferred that Europe has evolved to a superior credit card system, I would like to point out their downside. With chip and pin the burden of fraud has now been shifted to the consumer. The attitude is that their security is "perfect" and so if there is any fraud the it is because the consumer shared their PIN with other people. Never mind that the banking system also knows your PIN and clever people can copy your PIN as you type it.

So, too bad for you if a fraudulent charge appears on your credit card bill!

igraf

This may be true in some countries but I am pretty certain it will not be true in the USA.

As far as I’m concerned, the best protection against the misuse of a card is an excellent credit record. With an over 800 FICA score, the credit company will, in general, believe you if you say a charge is improper. With a 500 FICA score, they may not be so quick to take your side.

Scott & Karen

This may be true in some countries but I am pretty certain it will not be true in the USA.

As far as I’m concerned, the best protection against the misuse of a card is an excellent credit record. With an over 800 FICA score, the credit company will, in general, believe you if you say a charge is improper. With a 500 FICA score, they may not be so quick to take your side.

Scott & Karen

Of course you are entitled to that opinion and trust in your credit history - but your credit record is no protection against crooks scamming your card in the first place, and then having to go to the trouble of dealing with the fallout. I have an excellent credit rating too, as do millions of others, but I'm thankful for that extra bit of protection.

P.S. Do you all pay for your Chase Saphire Cards? According to the WEB site they are free the first year & then $95a year thereafter, which I refuse to pay..

The Chase Saphire preferred card has no annual fee. If you do get one, have your bank "consolidate" your Saphire and freedom cards into the Saphire card. That way you get the benefit of your long years of loyalty.

It has no foreign transaction fees and I'm in England right now using it daily. It is a chip and signature card but works fine ALMOST everywhere. Even though we have a PIN attached to it, a signature is still required so it will not work if it is a completely automatic transaction.

I'm going to speak to my bank about it when we return. If enough of us travelers complain, they may change it.