Trouble in Europe -- Credit Card with no chip?

schwabby

Please report back after your inquiry. I am not so sure the Sapphire card is "no fee" after the first year.

I'm not so sure either:confused:

Just went on-line again to compare the Chase Saphire Preferred card which has no foreign transaction fees & no annual fee for the first year only,..After the first year it's $95 per year.. That's a chip & signature card..

Chase has another Saphire card but that does have foreign transaction fees but no annual fee..That does not have a chip so it's a plain ole plain ole! IMO neither one is good for us!

This is where I compared the two cards side by side..

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/credit-card-benefits/compare-chase-sapphire-cards?CELL=6RRW&jp_ltg=LRail

Looks like we should just keep our new Chip & Signature Freedom cards & only use it for our cruises & still take our Capital One cards which has no transaction fees or annual fees..

However, they give double points for Restaurants & one gives double for travel..

Will try calling Chase either tomorrow or Friday & let you all know what I've come up with..

P.S. This site compares both the freedom to the Saphire preferred card & the final consensus is to have both of them, however I can't be bothered trying to figure out which one to use..

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chase-sapphire-vs-chase-freedom/

Also DH is retired from A.T. & T. & he also has an Universal card... IMO Our 4 credit cards plus our 3 bank cards (different accounts) are enough..LOL

Edited by serendipity1499

I am so sorry that I misreported the no fee for the Chase Saphire preferred. Since it is my first year with the card, I guess I was lulled into thinking it was simply no fee.

I think for us the card will still be worth it as it does have the no foreign transaction fees and gives double points for travel.

Anyone know why the US is so slow to adopt the chip cards? The added security of a chip and pin is huge.

... losing a card when I am in the US is a bit of a concern since there is no security pin.:eek:

With chip and pin the burden of fraud has now been shifted to the consumer. The attitude is that their security is "perfect" and so if there is any fraud the it is because the consumer shared their PIN with other people. Never mind that the banking system also knows your PIN and clever people can copy your PIN as you type it.

So, too bad for you if a fraudulent charge appears on your credit card bill!

igraf

This is not true in Canada.

You pick your own pin no. ... not the bank and they do not have a copy of it. (you are not too bright if you share it:rolleyes:)

Fraudulent charges ARE removed if they are found (or if a merchant makes an error) - just like a non-chip card. Yes, unfortunately, there are machines (at some variety stores and gas stations), that have false fronts that do record your pin and card no. ... so you have to be vigilant - Like with anything!

Also, when you buy on-line ... there is no use for the pin -you just give them your number. So, I guess that is no different than a non-chip card as far as fraud goes.

Anyone know why the US is so slow to adopt the chip cards? The added security of a chip and pin is huge.

... losing a card when I am in the US is a bit of a concern since there is no security pin.:eek:

Well, you may use the magnetic stripe to attach it to a metal piece in your handbag:D

The American banking system is much more fragmented than that in Europe so it is much harder to get agreement on these things. Similarly, the majority of the rest of the world has signed up to the systems that allow speedy transfer of funds between companies in different countries; yet America and Australia remain outside the system.

This is not true in Canada.

You pick your own pin no. ... not the bank and they do not have a copy of it. (you are not too bright if you share it:rolleyes:)

Fraudulent charges ARE removed if they are found (or if a merchant makes an error) - just like a non-chip card. Yes, unfortunately, there are machines (at some variety stores and gas stations), that have false fronts that do record your pin and card no. ... so you have to be vigilant - Like with anything!

Also, when you buy on-line ... there is no use for the pin -you just give them your number. So, I guess that is no different than a non-chip card as far as fraud goes.

In the UK when buying online, in the majority of cases, you will be asked to provide the three digits on the back of your card. In addition, some card issuers also require you to enter part of a password that you will previously have set up online.

The American banking system is much more fragmented than that in Europe so it is much harder to get agreement on these things. Similarly, the majority of the rest of the world has signed up to the systems that allow speedy transfer of funds between companies in different countries; yet America and Australia remain outside the system.

I think it is just the US that lags behind http://www.cnet.com/au/news/australian-credit-cards-boost-security-as-chip-and-pin-deadline-approaches/

Edited by Christine Frances

I am so sorry that I misreported the no fee for the Chase Saphire preferred. Since it is my first year with the card, I guess I was lulled into thinking it was simply no fee.

I think for us the card will still be worth it as it does have the no foreign transaction fees and gives double points for travel.

No worries.

We also think that the card is worth the annual fee. :)

That is true - perhaps the over-confidence of being such a large market led to indifference to more intelligent technology. Anyway, the chip is starting to come into wider use - I just got my no fee chip card from USAA - it is offensive that major banks are charging for it.

No Problem.. No need to feel sorry, I probably would have been lulled into thinking the same thing...

Cheers..

I have just gone through the exercise of trying to get a Chip & PIN card for an upcoming trip to Spain. I called all the banks that issue my cards and researched several websites that rate cards. Here is what I found:

• one apparently complete success: Barclay Arrival Plus -- comes with Chip and preassigned PIN which they say clearly is a full-on credit-card PIN; you can change the PIN (that raises a red flag, because I thought the PIN was burned into the Chip -- but they explain that you have to use it once at a staffed location in Europe, then the card will be updated for use in kiosks with your new PIN) -- no Foreign Transaction Fees, excellent rewards (2% on everything and an extra 10% if you redeem for travel expenses), big points bonus in first three months, annual fee waived the first year.

Citi now issues cards with Chip and ATM PIN -- some CC posters say they have been able to use the ATM PIN in Europe for credit card transactions -- but the Citi cards I have charge 3% Foreign Transaction Fee.

Amex Platinum cards can be reissued with Chip -- but no PIN, so they will only work if your salesperson knows how to do "Chip & Sign" procedure [note: this is the full-on Platinum card with $450 annual fee and no waiver, not the Delta card that also says "platinum"]. Other Amex cards don't even have the Chip option yet

• there are a couple of credit unions that have full Chip & PIN, but joining them is somewhat complicated

Chase will be switching all its cards to Chip & PIN by the end of the year, but that doesn't help for travel this summer

[sorry if I'm duplicating information already posted on this thread -- I did a search and "Barclay" had no hits]

Just to clarify..Amex issued by American Banks. I have two AMEX that are both chip and pin

You are correct, and as a long time (very long time) Amex card holder we find this infuriating. Last year I called AMEX and ask them to issue me a Chip/PIN card. They told me they only issue them to Canadians and Europeans, but not to anyone with a US address. Go figure. So we got ourselves a Andrews FCU Chip/PIN card. Reality is that although we like AMEX for certain reasons, we generally do not use it outside the USA because we see no reason to pay them a 2.7% foreign exchange fee with we have both a Visa and MC that have zero exchange fees and no annual fee.

Another problem with our "beloved" Amex is that many restaurants and shops will not accept the card. Not only does AMEX charge its card holders fees, but they charge the merchants higher percentages then both MC and Visa.

You are correct, and as a long time (very long time) Amex card holder we find this infuriating. Last year I called AMEX and ask them to issue me a Chip/PIN card. They told me they only issue them to Canadians and Europeans, but not to anyone with a US address. Go figure. So we got ourselves a Andrews FCU Chip/PIN card. Reality is that although we like AMEX for certain reasons, we generally do not use it outside the USA because we see no reason to pay them a 2.7% foreign exchange fee with we have both a Visa and MC that have zero exchange fees and no annual fee.

Another problem with our "beloved" Amex is that many restaurants and shops will not accept the card. Not only does AMEX charge its card holders fees, but they charge the merchants higher percentages then both MC and Visa.

They charge their merchants crazy amounts, but that's how I get 4X the points :). And really weird that they wouldn't issue them to Americans

Thanks Host Jazzbeau for that info..

Looks like by Oct of 2015 all banks will be issuing cards with the chip in it, but doubt they will have the PIN right away..

We received our Chase Card this week with the Chip & Signature.. Had to contact all the bill collectors about the change in account number as we have a few things auto-deducted from this account..

When I retired I gave up my Amex card, as still not about to pay for something like that..

In the meantime I sent Sam's an e-mail asking about their card & this is the answer I received:

Quote Thank you for contacting Sam's Club in regards to your Sam's Club Credit account. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. Unfortunately, we do not have access to your credit card account. For more information on your Advantage or Business account, please visit our website at www.samsclubcredit.com<http://www.samsclubcredit.com/>. You may also contact Sam's Club Credit Card Services (ex. paying your bill online, available credit, billing statements) at the following:

Personal Credit - 800-964-1917 Business Credit - 800-203-5764

etc. etc etc.

Unquote

Don't use my Sam's card as a credit card, only as a membership card, but because it's a Business account they would not answer my query..Would you believe that...

Edited by serendipity1499

I have just gone through the exercise of trying to get a Chip & PIN card for an upcoming trip to Spain. I called all the banks that issue my cards and researched several websites that rate cards. Here is what I found:

• one apparently complete success: Barclay Arrival Plus -- comes with Chip and preassigned PIN which they say clearly is a full-on credit-card PIN; you can change the PIN (that raises a red flag, because I thought the PIN was burned into the Chip -- but they explain that you have to use it once at a staffed location in Europe, then the card will be updated for use in kiosks with your new PIN) -- no Foreign Transaction Fees, excellent rewards (2% on everything and an extra 10% if you redeem for travel expenses), big points bonus in first three months, annual fee waived the first year.

Citi now issues cards with Chip and ATM PIN -- some CC posters say they have been able to use the ATM PIN in Europe for credit card transactions -- but the Citi cards I have charge 3% Foreign Transaction Fee.

Amex Platinum cards can be reissued with Chip -- but no PIN, so they will only work if your salesperson knows how to do "Chip & Sign" procedure [note: this is the full-on Platinum card with $450 annual fee and no waiver, not the Delta card that also says "platinum"]. Other Amex cards don't even have the Chip option yet

• there are a couple of credit unions that have full Chip & PIN, but joining them is somewhat complicated

Chase will be switching all its cards to Chip & PIN by the end of the year, but that doesn't help for travel this summer

[sorry if I'm duplicating information already posted on this thread -- I did a search and "Barclay" had no hits]

Just got my new Chase cards (two accounts, different versions).....they are chip and signature NOT chip and PIN. Chase even included an extra explanation sheet warning that while the new cards will most probably be accepted by merchants outside of the US they might not work in kiosks asking for chip and PIN. Actually advises that you should have foreign currency to cover your kiosk purchase just in case. Absolutely no mention with either card that a chip and PIN version is forthcoming or available upon request.

Edited by Randyk47

In a somewhat related way (money problems while traveling) we learned the hard way in 2012 that banks (all banks) in the UK will not change US currency. In the past we always took some cash as the major banks would change it at a better rate than travel checks. Scary when no one wants to take our currency. When questioned, the banks fell back on that old tired line "it is to prevent drug dealers money laundering". BS, or as the Brits say: bollocks! We were not trying to change millions, just a middle aged US couple on holiday trying to change a few hundred $$. Now you have to go to money changers at the airport, train stations, or Marks & Spencers. Guess how much they charge for the privilege!!

In a somewhat related way (money problems while traveling) we learned the hard way in 2012 that banks (all banks) in the UK will not change US currency. In the past we always took some cash as the major banks would change it at a better rate than travel checks. Scary when no one wants to take our currency. When questioned, the banks fell back on that old tired line "it is to prevent drug dealers money laundering". BS, or as the Brits say: bollocks! We were not trying to change millions, just a middle aged US couple on holiday trying to change a few hundred $$. Now you have to go to money changers at the airport, train stations, or Marks & Spencers. Guess how much they charge for the privilege!!

Britain is known for their stifling regulations. A couple of years ago we were in London for a nephews wedding and wanted to give him a gift check - of the sort any US bank will sell. No bank would sell a gift check to anyone not having a long term account relationship - they cited the necessity of preventing terrorists from anonymously funding operations.

We went to a post office and had no problem anonymously buying a postal money order (read: "check") - so much for consistency.

Britain is known for their stifling regulations. A couple of years ago we were in London for a nephews wedding and wanted to give him a gift check - of the sort any US bank will sell. No bank would sell a gift check to anyone not having a long term account relationship - they cited the necessity of preventing terrorists from anonymously funding operations.

We went to a post office and had no problem anonymously buying a postal money order (read: "check") - so much for consistency.

It's just a different system. The post office is used for that kind of transaction. The Post Office in the UK is like a financial institution, it's not mainly for mail!:)

Save yourself time and more importantly hefty, hefty fees/poor exchange rates and just get cash via ATM.

It's been at least 10 years we have exchanged money. ATMs offer the best bang for your buck, bar none.

Save yourself time and more importantly hefty, hefty fees/poor exchange rates and just get cash via ATM.

It's been at least 10 years we have exchanged money. ATMs offer the best bang for your buck, bar none.

Yes, we realize that now, it was just rude awakening at the time and at that point we could do nothing about it. Still, there is something sad about US currency becoming something "tainted". I have always liked cash. Like the way it looks, feels, and formerly spent.:eek::D